PDA

View Full Version : Tied Up With Strings

Arabella Balfour
Sep 4th, 2008, 08:06:41 PM
Had Arabella Balfour understood the sheer bedazzlement of giving up her last ties to mortal life and embracing, or rather more aptly - being embraced by, a vampiric life, she thought now she might have done it sooner and saved herself some misery. So long as she kept track of her needs, mostly in keeping her hunger at bay, and listened to Martin, rather than try to muddle through the changes on her own, she found that she was coping more than well.

She was thriving.

There were some moments where she thought about the split second decision she'd made, and examined it closely. She did not feel regret, or any other melancholy emotional ties to the shedding of ones life. Staying a ghoul for as long as she had, she'd seen lives come and go. In the end, she had not wanted to die. It had been that simple.

Now though..?

With a smile, Arabella spun in a series of circles on stocking-clad toes across the carpeted bedroom, singing along with the music blasting out of her stereo, while simultaneously checking out her own indecent, and scantily-clad reflection in the mirror before her.

"Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes.. Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes!", she fluttered her lashes at the mirror and grabbed a blue dress covered in black lace from the bed, holding it up before her for a final decision.

"Silver white winters that melt into springs, these are a few of my favorite things!", she stepped into the dress, zipped it up her spine and stepped into a pair of beribboned flats.

Wandering from her bedroom, she wondered if her singing was carrying over to Michele. She'd been trying, unsucessfully to wail loud enough to coax her Immortal neighbor into banging on the wall or something.. but it was looking like she might just have to go knock on the door.

Again...

So, this time she'd go bearing a gift!

"Green bottled packages, tied-up with strings!", she smiled, singing again, while tying up a wine bottle from the cabinet with a flashy silver bow!

"These are a few of my... favorite things!"

She hoped Michele even answered the door! Bravely, she knocked, expecting rejection..

Michele Hawkins
Sep 4th, 2008, 08:20:33 PM
For once, I'm glad school started. It's now a week into it and I'm drowning in homework. Course that's partially my fault. I've been taking on extra assignments to keep my mind off of things - That and talking with Kass. She's been great at keeping me grounded since it's now official ... Fiona's been gone for over a month with no word.

Kass said she's trying some old contacts to try and help locate her, but to no avail. Deep down, I know Martin and Arabella have been trying too, but they've kinda been keeping their distance since I freaked on them. The condo's been super quiet since Bella's been turned, till about a few days ago.

Every night, just as the sun hit the horizon, Bella kept trying to knock on my door. I've kept ignoring her. Then I feel guilty, try and call her, chicken out, and start working on my concerto again. It's a nice pattern of avoidance that we've grown accustomed to.

Until tonight! What the hell is with the Sound of Music blasting next door?!?! She's gone daft, or deaf (Of course the later impossible since Vamps have the best hearing). My guess is she's using passive-aggressive techniques to break me into acknowledging her presence.

The singing starts getting closer but the music was just as loud. Bella was nice enough to keep the stereo going. How nice. Maybe she's all giddy cuz her and Martin are going out on the town again...

Ok Brahms, back to you and your concerto. My fingers press down on the first few set of notes when the knock at the door causes me to pound on them as she breaks my concentration.

"That's it!" I curl up the sleeves of my blouse and pad over to the door with my bare feet. Enough is enough! I need peace tonight! Opening the door, I inhale through my nose and then open my mouth, rattling my apologize off before she could retort.

"Ok, Bella. Look I'm sorry I bailed on you a few nights ago, but it was intense. Now could you please, please turn the radio off so I can finish practicing Brahms?" I exhale and notice the ribbon tied bottle and Bella looking very beautiful as always. The blue dress she was wearing was quite the contrast to her skin, but it wasn't as cold and white then I remember. But duh, she's been feeding. Of course she looks more lively.

Either way, I blurted out this lovely plea and here was Bella bringing presents to me. She was being kind to me and bringing me a peace offering. I feel like a complete schmuck ...

Arabella Balfour
Sep 4th, 2008, 08:51:25 PM
Michele had the most adorble 'Oh drat! Open-mouth-insert-foot' expression.

So her little impromptu aria had not gone unappreciated, after all. Arabella's hopeful smile turned into an amused grin. She handed the wine bottle over to a now quieted Michele, barely resisting the urge to tuck a finger under her chin and gently close her mouth.

"Pardon! Excusez-moi.." With a soft chuckle, Arabella crossed the hall and just inside her own door, flipped a switch on the wall, silencing Julie Andrews for the night.

"Don't apologize. You have nothing to be sorry for, Michele. I didn't mean to upset your studies.. I'm sorry.", she stepped back over toward Michele, watching her with dark glance that seemed slower somehow now, as if Arabella were absorbing every detail before her.. Then nodded once and turned away.

"I just wanted to see you.. I'll let you get back to your work."

Michele Hawkins
Sep 4th, 2008, 08:58:46 PM
Well that was odd. Except for a few nuances, that was Bella all right. She reminded me of the exquisite lady that I'd met for the first time in Paris - all playful and cheery. I found myself smiling as she walked away.

"Hey! Wait?" I find the words leaving my mouth without any thought, and then I look down at the wine bottle. "I don't think I can drink this all myself ..."

I shake the bottle gently, knowing that my guilt was at work here. I realize Kass said that the change would be good and bad for Bella, but right now it was nice to have some of my old friend back. I've missed her. "You could hear me practice too, maybe?"

Besides, I've been a schmuck remember? I really should make it up to her and try to come to terms of who she is now ... and keep things quiet next door so I can study!!

Arabella Balfour
Sep 4th, 2008, 09:16:48 PM
"I would like that..", she said, then turned back with a smile. Not a befanged leer worthy of a Hollywood vampire, just an average, genuine 'Bella smile, unguarded because it was Michele and she trusted her. It was going to take time, she was sure, but time they both had.

Time was not her enemy anymore.

Just a few short days ago it had been boxes of tissues, mass amounts of chocolate and Julia Roberts in Steel Magnolias on some female-minded sappy channel. Surely this must be an improvment!? Besides, Michele was a delight to listen to, and 'Bella was toally absorbed with anything that was a stimulant to her recently enhanced senses..

Michele Hawkins
Sep 4th, 2008, 09:24:56 PM
Her smile was comforting and honestly, in those few moments, I'd completely forgotten what she had become.

"Come on," I wave her inside and go fetch some glasses. Perc made himself known and peered around the cabinet corner, trying to figure Bella out again. I ruffle his fur with my feet and uncork the bottle - a most dazzling display of balance since I would have surely fell on my behind two years ago. Tons of training and one head later, I can actually chew gum and walk now.

I pour the wine and steal a sip as I hand a glass over to Bella. "I'm working on Concerto No. 1 in D minor by Brahms. So far I think it's coming along nicely until the Hills became alive ..."

Arabella Balfour
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:52:37 PM
Possessed of enough wit to know when she was being chided, Arabella slanted a glance Michele's way. "Oh that? That was all your fault..."

She took a sip from her glass, smiling over the rim. "Next time it will be far worse. I've still got Moulin Rogue, Chicago and Jesus Christ Superstar to go..."

A dire threat indeed! 'Bella laughed. Mentioning Moulin Rogue for some reason made her think of Fiona and their early days together. It hadn't been quite so glittery and far less romantic, but still... she did quite miss it at times. Of course there was still no word on where 'Fi had run off to and no, it was not unlike her to make a hasty exit for mysterious reasons, but 'Bella was begining to suspect there was something really wrong. Fiona wouldn't have just left Michele this long without a word.

Or herself, considering..

"Alright, we've been watered." She wiggled her glass. "Play on...."

Michele Hawkins
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:35:49 AM
"As my audience demands," I say after sticking out my tongue. "So impatient!" I was chiding again and it was fun.

I'll have to admit, it was nice pretending things were normal again. Drinking wine, joking around with Bella - I really needed this.

So now I plant my butt on my piano chair and down the last of the White Zinfandel. I wiggle my fingers and stretch them out away from me, working out the bit of stiffness that settled in.

Clearing my throat, I find my marks and look over at my lovely guest. "Tonight, Ms. Hawkins shall be playing Brahms Piano Concerto No. 1, form Maestoso in D Minor."

This was a more conservative form that Brahms based upon Beethoven's Ninth, which is why I chose this piece. I LOVE Beethoven!! So it was easy to transition into this style of classical form. It basically descends down the chords and introduces what the rest of the Concerto holds for the future - Course it's a 20 minute intro, but I'm certain if I can hold Bella's attention for that long, means I'm doing good.