PDA

View Full Version : A Spider in the Web

Michele Hawkins
Sep 4th, 2008, 10:26:29 AM
*A NOISELESS, patient spider,
I mark’d, where, on a little promontory, it stood, isolated;
Mark’d how, to explore the vacant, vast surrounding,
It launch’d forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself;
Ever unreeling them—ever tirelessly speeding them.

And you, O my Soul, where you stand,
Surrounded, surrounded, in measureless oceans of space,
Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing,—seeking the spheres, to connect them;
Till the bridge you will need, be form’d—till the ductile anchor hold;
Till the gossamer thread you fling, catch somewhere, O my Soul.

On the drive over to the cafe, I started to think about how much of a bitch I was to Martin and Arabella. I completely bailed on them. Both of them could tell how freaked out I was, Bella in particular, and I didn't give them a chance to explain things or calm me down.

But honestly, what was I to do? Bella needs a lot of support from Martin at this point in time. It's critical in the first few hours for Bella to transition from a barely alive soul that had only embers to keep her body going, to a full fledged Vampire - Something I know she's craved for a long time. Me being all woefully down on myself would only take away from the ecstasy she was feeling.

But yes, yes I know!!! I know ... I don't know if I can handle her change either. That's an issue for another time. Right now I'm missing Fiona badly and I don't know if I can handle a possible future without her. She's my entire LIFE, my eyes and ears of Chicago when things got ugly, and now I'm alone.

I pull up to the cafe in my Shelby and the valet instantly drools. It's midnight blue custom paint job was courtesy of Fi and it's a classic. A 1969 GT 350 Coupe. I really don't know much about cars but it's a fantastic piece of automobile. What's under the hood? No idea, but it's pretty! Martin could tell you though, that's for sure.

I throw the keys at the valet and check my watch. It's a bit past 7. Hopefully Kass wasn't waiting long. The maître d''s voice tried to catch my attention, but I already spotted Kass. She's hard to miss with an ethereal quality that surrounds her, not to mention the most striking beautiful features that I've ever seen on a woman. Pale and angular, she looked more like the statue of a goddess then an actual living being. What's interesting about her is that you honestly don't know what's on her mind. Even when she does speak up, I always get the sense that she's hiding the whole truth for whatever reason. She's older then Fi, but where Fi is childlike in her personality and quite open, Kass is very guarded with her emotions. Well, at least around me ...

"It's ok," I tell the girl behind the podium, I don't take my eyes off of Kass, "I found my friend. Thanks."

"Enjoy your stay, Miss."

I make my way over to her booth and smile down at her. I'm really glad to see her. "Hey. Thanks for coming."

*By Walt Witman

Kassandra
Sep 4th, 2008, 11:31:17 AM
“Hello.”

Kassandra smiled over the mug of cocoa in her hands. She blew gently onto the still-steaming liquid for a moment before lowering it into her lap, her long, elegant fingers curled neatly around the cup. With a small nod, she indicated another mug on the table between them.

“Tea, no sugar.”

Michele Hawkins
Sep 4th, 2008, 11:35:07 AM
My eyes didn't hid the surprise. "You remembered?"

We've been hanging out a little bit, nothing too special, but it was sweet of her to remember that. Course, I've probably ranted about Fi being addicted to coffee and how much I hated it that it must've been easy for Kass to pick up on it.

It smells great. Green tea! My favorite! "Thank you."

Kassandra
Sep 4th, 2008, 11:42:54 AM
“I thought it might help to calm your nerves.”

She still smiled, though the expression didn't have much warmth in it. Rather, she seemed concerned.

“You sounded so... distressed on the phone. Has something happened?”

Michele Hawkins
Sep 4th, 2008, 11:48:19 AM
That was putting it mildly. I wrapped my hands around the mug, enjoying how quickly my hands warmed up from the touch, and took a sip to do just exactly that. Calm my nerves. I probably still look frazzled.

I lick my lips and peer into the tea. Yep, I looked pitiful. I think I looked worse thanks to the choppy liquid obscuring my features. "Yes. You know Arabella right? The woman staying with Fi and me?"

Kassandra
Sep 4th, 2008, 11:52:40 AM
She paused for a moment – not too long, but long enough to recall Arabella... the ghoul. She had the eyes of one who had seen far too much, for a creature of her position in life.

“The Parisian... yes. She seems nice.”

Michele Hawkins
Sep 4th, 2008, 11:54:46 AM
"Yeah, she's great," I agreed but my voice was nothing but melancholy. "Tonight ... tonight Martin saved her life."

My eyes rolled up to meet her's and I'm sure Kass knew what I referred too. We were in public and I couldn't just blurt out the truth.

Kassandra
Sep 4th, 2008, 11:59:41 AM
“Oh my...”

Saving lives wasn't something Kassandra associated with Martin Leroux and his kind. No, they were in the business of damning lives. It was why they hid from the world, behind their precious masquerade – they knew what pitiful wretches they were. It was unfortunate that Michele had chosen to keep such company, but with Fiona removed from the picture, they too would be easily eliminated in time.

“How is she fairing?”

Michele Hawkins
Sep 4th, 2008, 12:05:55 PM
I shrug my shoulders and sigh, "Fine now that she's like Martin. More then fine. She's all ... glowy and happy. Restored to her former self and then some."

I can still see her eyes sparkling with new found life, fascinated with everything around her. Her complexion hadn't changed that much. Bella was close to being dried out which made her pale as a sheet. The blood that had been flowing in her veins was old and tired. Now it rejuvenated her strength and beauty, but left her skin as white as chalk.

Kassandra
Sep 4th, 2008, 12:14:57 PM
“Mmmhm...”

Restored. Kassandra glanced upwards, with a small sigh, as if she had heard this story before. When her eyes returned to Michele, her lips turned into an almost apologetic expression.

“Living through an experience like this will undoubtedly change her... for better and for worse.”

Michele Hawkins
Sep 4th, 2008, 12:20:39 PM
Great. She just confirmed my fears. I knew it was gonna be difficult since I knew Bella before the change and my heart sank.

"I figured ..." I was too upset to say much of anything else. My hands would be shaking if I wasn't holding the mug and I'm trying really hard to fight back those tears again. I don't want to seem like a wuss in front of Kass, but since when have I been the strong steely unemotional type?

Kassandra
Sep 4th, 2008, 12:25:44 PM
“She will need some time to adjust...”

Setting her cocoa down on the table, she reached out one hand to lay on top of Michele's.

“You will need some time to adjust. What happened to both of us... it's not the same as this. Her whole life has to change.”

Michele Hawkins
Sep 4th, 2008, 12:39:11 PM
I wish I could be so detached from the situation like Kass was so I could handle it better. Everything she's said, I agree with and know it to be true, but I haven't lived so long to accept things so matter-of-factly. Not to say Kass isn't being there for me. She really is. Even though she slapped me with some cold hard truth, Kass was very gentle in how she approached it. I'm so relieved that I have someone who could comfort me again.

"I ... I know," I smile weakly at her with tears that are about to break any second, "It's just hard being all alone again. Before, even with Bella sick, we had a blast and kept me distracted from Fi being gone ..."

Ah crap! Here come the wet works. I'm not full out crying or anything but I'm powerless to fight off my fears anymore. I pull away from Kass to cover my embarrassment. I'm too shy to even look at her. "I'm sorry. Just been so hard. Almost a month and no word from her..."

Kassandra
Sep 5th, 2008, 03:28:03 PM
“I know, I know...”

Sighing, she squeezed Michele's hand, her thumb brushing comforting circles just above the wrist.

“She'll be back, someday. Until then... I know Fiona wouldn't want you to be so miserable on her behalf. Wherever she's gone, whatever she's doing, there must be a good reason behind it.”

Michele Hawkins
Sep 5th, 2008, 04:33:57 PM
"I know you're right, but I didn't realize I relied on her so much." My palm wipes away the tears and then goes to cover Kass' hand. This is what I needed. Someone to talk to that understood Fiona better then anyone. Help calm me down and listen to me fears. "Like with Bella. Fi woulda known what to do instead of freaking out like I did. Plus there's the not knowing with her. I know there has to be a good reason why she hasn't contacted me ... but ... it's so unlike her."

Kassandra
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:56:20 PM
“Mmmm...”

It was a non-committal noise. Whether Kassandra believed Fiona's recent behaviour to be 'in character' seemed to be something that she wasn't eager to comment on.

“There's no shame in how you reacted to what's happened to Bella. Your response was perfectly natural... the mark of innocence and youth. You should treasure that while you have it.”

Michele Hawkins
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:38:52 PM
I sniff and a stupid smile grows on my face. "Yeah, Fi said that too. 'Enjoy school and being as normal as you can be before your innocence is washed away with time'."

My lips curl inward and I lick my lips, sighing in resignation. "What the hell am I gonna do if she doesn't come back?"

Kassandra
Oct 10th, 2008, 11:36:48 AM
A deep breath in, and then another out.

“You will... live. I know how important she is to you,” Kassandra paused, glancing down in an almost demure fashion. Had there been a time when Fiona was just as important to her? There was so much that Michele didn't know.

“But you're strong – together, we're strong,” she continued, her eyes returning to Michele's, giving the girls hand another squeeze. “We'll muddle through this, somehow.”

Michele Hawkins
Oct 10th, 2008, 11:42:22 AM
My free hand comes up to wipe away a tear before it fell into my tea. And then I laugh awkwardly. Kass' words struck a cord with me. "Muddle, huh?"

My increase levity ends with a long chuckle and I pull away from her hand so I can further dry my face with them. "I've practically been doing that my entire life, but ..."

I smile across the table in earnest appreciation. "... at least I won't be alone."

In the Immortal sense of word. I think I'm lucky that Kass is willing to spare her time for me and I'm grateful.