PDA

View Full Version : Map of Midgard

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 30th, 2008, 11:09:11 AM
Sam's final line map colorized!

I'm pretty sure I misspelled a few names, since it was hard to read the small print on some of them, so if there are any corrections that need to be made let me know. Also, I know that over time other little cities and whatnot have popped up and been written in, so if you put them down in this thread I'll add them.

It's a huge file in PS, much much larger than the one in photobucket, so I'll probably tinker with the 'pretty-ness' some more and make a few wallpapers out of it if folks are interested.

Any suggestions and recommendations are most welcome! This includes the fonts I used. I just threw in the ones I figured might look good, but if anyone has other ones in mind let me know their names and I'll plug them in :)

Midgard draft one (http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/silancy/midguard-color.jpg)

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 30th, 2008, 11:19:36 AM
Ahhhhh I Love It! Omg!

edit: Its spelled Midgard, btw. ;) And the continent that the map is of is called Asga.

edit edit: Talmeir is an important trade city in Ankaar... it should be by the mouth of the delta I imagine, or else near the wastelands? Would depend on what Andrew thinks...

Daria Nytherciria
Aug 30th, 2008, 11:37:00 AM
That looks really good!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 30th, 2008, 11:37:21 AM
Ha, oh wow I feel dumb now ^_^;

Csephion Draxus
Aug 30th, 2008, 02:33:51 PM
I'll give you some reference points for some of the Necia-related points of interest, such as Phressia, Ilyx, Permanticum, Tirgatia, etc.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 30th, 2008, 03:31:14 PM
Ok, so I added some of the cities that Charley asked for, but I left out Talmeir since I'm gonna wait for Andrew's confirmation :)

I also changed the font for the city names, and in the case of Necia I made the city markers smaller and a different color so it's understood that Demos is the capital. Am I correct in thinking that Bai-Ulgan and Ankaarizad are also the capitals of their respective territories?

Draft two (http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/silancy/midguard-color2.jpg)

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 30th, 2008, 03:34:15 PM
Bai-Ulgan is the biggest city on the continent and the capitol of Dalriada, yes.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 30th, 2008, 05:59:36 PM
:eee

I should come up with some more Dalriadan cities now... ^_^;

Saladin
Aug 31st, 2008, 12:10:58 AM
Bai-Ulgan is the biggest city on the continent and the capitol of Dalriada, yes.

But Ankaarizad is the prettiest. And it has lighted streets and indoor plumbing. Eat it, pseudo-Anglo-Saxon culture! :mneh

Heh, and actually, I didn't create Talmeir. I'm not sure whether the intent was for it to be a coastal trading hub or an overland trading hub. However, I think it would make a great gateway for our heroes should they journey to Ankaa, so my vote would be to put it at the edge of the Hadar Wastelands, somewhere in that gap between the northern and southern mountain ranges. Would make sense, since most of the trade between Ankaa and the rest of Midgard goes by way of desert caravan.

Ankaarizad indeed is the capital, and the seat of the Rajjah's throne. I might throw in some additional cities, but we are a little low on room. I may put in a holy city farther up the Eridan, closer to the headwaters.

Is that dotted line suggesting a dried-up riverbed that runs through the Nusakar ruins? :)

Awesome work!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 31st, 2008, 10:46:22 AM
Thankya's :D

The dotted line might be a dried riverbed. Sam did the linework, I'm just coloring it up and adding the cities, etc.

As for running out of room, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Like I said, it's a monstrous file in PS, so tweaking and fitting things in is just a matter of font size ;)

Draft three (http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/silancy/midguard-color3.jpg)

Weeta
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:34:12 PM
<strike>Ok inside the cove (?) in the northwest, at the southernest points can you add the Mer cities Peer and Mill.

There's a little bit of land that sticks out a little, so put Peer right there on the coast, and Mill a little closer to Nifleim.</strike>

Okay change - on the east coast down south somewhere after Necia ends put Peer and Mill, not too close to each other. Not too far away though! ;)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:48:17 PM
South of Tirgatia, as well?

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:30:52 PM
Yes, closer to the Fian city in the woods down there. Ha'linnu innu or something. :p Who made up these names!? :lol

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:54:01 PM
I can't remember, but every so often at work I find myself trying to sound out that particular city name. Thank goodness for loud machinery to drown me out ^_^;

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 12th, 2008, 04:23:34 AM
PHRASE: Ta an aimsir go halainn inniu
PRONOUNCED: taw an eyeim-shur guh haul-inn inn-you
MEANING: The weather is beautiful today

(Gaelic)

Ediremos
Sep 12th, 2008, 04:46:28 AM
Given that the Syldar are accepted into the game, where would the best location be for their kingdom? Perhaps the forest in the far west (which remains largely unused)?

I gave a description of the race in the Levelling Up thread, but can always change their homeland to be something more appropriate if required.

This is Aran Solan, by the way.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 12th, 2008, 10:34:05 AM
You mean near the Hadar Wastelands? I think that might be a good place for them in that peninsula... The only other place that might work are the mountains in the north?

Calleh
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:04:43 PM
Those seem like the best available spots for a new race. If you put them in the Jarnvid, they'd end up getting wrapped up in the Necian League somehow, and the way you've described them suggests to me a culture that likes to keep itself isolated.

The nature of the Hadar Wasteland in that region is pretty much up for grabs. That area southwest of Verbannen all the way to Talmeir and the coast is classic Arabian desert with towering dunes and a few canyons, but the wasteland to the North could be very different. And it could easily function as a geographical barrier between Dalriada and the lands of the Syldar.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 12th, 2008, 03:37:47 PM
Charley said he's got some more stuff for me, so I'll have the new draft up later this evening after he gets home and lets me know where to put them.

Also added will be the Mer cities, and if decided in time, the Syldar.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 12th, 2008, 04:22:45 PM
Ok see where the little islands are there in the south east? Between them and the little peninsula of land (or maybe a little further north than that) can you put 'The Bowl Reef' ? And then almost exactly west of the Bowl Reef put Peer. Mill can be either north or south of Peer, I'm not particular.

Put the reef closer to land than to the islands, it needs to be within the abilities of the Mer to swim out to it. :)

Ediremos
Sep 12th, 2008, 08:39:03 PM
I'd like to put in for the Syldar to be located North-West of the word Hadar; in that western most forest area. Perhaps their kingdom can be put in the middle of the three forest graphics, indicating they have built their home in the middle of the three forests around them - I can work with that.

Do we have any objections? I would really love to get this on the way to being set up, so I can begin expanding on the race and adding to the Wiki. I'm pretty excited about this one. ;)

The Syldar Kingdom/city is known as Aureska.

Qadir Uthman Khel
Sep 12th, 2008, 08:46:52 PM
It's up to you on the Jarnvid. I've written some backstory on Necian wars and intransigency into the Jarnvid and the other western barbarian lands, so I'm not sure if that's something you'd want as a part of your story or not.

Ediremos
Sep 12th, 2008, 09:19:44 PM
I think we'll keep away from Ironwood, just so we can have the Syldar be in their own area, with their own kingdom. Also, I figure that the barbarians probably tried to attack the Syldar, but they were pushed back by the mixture of maga and warriors thrown at them - the Syldar are not little in number, and are very centralized in their city.

Apart from the odd invasion attempt in the past, I'd say the Syldar have mostly been left much alone... if you would like to come up with some specifics, I'm all ears and look forward to hearing suggestions.

I don't mind altering some details to keep with established backstory (so long as the Syldar aren't enslaved or pushed out of their kingdom :P).

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 12th, 2008, 10:58:05 PM
Ok, everything is added in, it's just a waiting game now as this monstrosity saves itself. After that I can resize and upload.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:11:56 PM
Good Lord, I thought my photoshop bottomed out on me ^_^;

Anyway, Draft four (http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/silancy/midguard-color4.jpg).

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:37:20 PM
I like it but the Mer cities should be on land, just the very edge.... ;)

Ediremos
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:37:23 PM
Looks great.

Thank you for the Aureska addition; I'll begin writing about the kingdom and such, and start getting things ready for the Wiki entries on the Syldar.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 13th, 2008, 12:08:46 AM
I like it but the Mer cities should be on land, just the very edge.... ;)

Oh, hehe ^_^; I'll fix them on the next go around, since it takes an obscene amount of time to load up and whatnot. You can ask Charley; I could hear my computer flinging all manner of fowl language at me for making it work so hard.

I did put Mill right in that little cove area, since I remember the way you described how their cities were built, and thought it might be a nice mental image of an exotic crescent shaped Mer city :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 13th, 2008, 01:32:39 AM
I think that's good :D Peer just needs to be close enough that people realize it isn't an underwater city. ;)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 14th, 2008, 04:44:01 PM
Are there any more magic nexus points I can add?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 27th, 2008, 10:42:17 AM
A little north of the Cos-Briste, that's supposed to be a giant peak, right? What if we called that mountain region area the Roof of the World?

And giant bear riders! We should have some ^_^;

Captain Untouchable
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:57:52 AM
Yay - giant bears!

I may just be dumb (I just had a dyslexic moment where I couldn't find Necia, despite the big letters right on top of it >_< ), but is there some significance to Peer and Mill being light blue, while the rest of the cities are dark blue? Something to do with being underwater, or something like that?

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 29th, 2008, 09:40:30 AM
the Mer are cuter than everyone else :p

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:34:57 PM
I don't remember exactly why I made the Mer city markers a different shade of blue, but I think it's cause the Mer are so water centric.

Dragon
Sep 29th, 2008, 06:47:46 PM
There is a magical nexus point in the mountains at the end of the northernmost leg of the Eridan River, but I haven't come up with a good name for it yet.