PDA

View Full Version : Memento Mori

Arabella Balfour
Aug 21st, 2008, 08:39:14 PM
Standing in the bathroom of her penthouse apartment, Arabella Balfour was stuck staring at her own reflection in the mirror in front of her. Although still appearing as a petite, dark haired young woman, she could see the subtle differences reflected in the glass that had not been there even a few weeks ago. Tiny lines around her eyes, strands of silver shot through her dark hair, stress and extreme old age finally catching up to her mortal body.

It was terrifying.

Turning on the sink she splashed her face with cool water and patted her cheeks with a fluffy soft towel. There was no sense hiding in the bathroom. She had been moping around too much the last few days as it was, with Fiona gone and all.

And she wasn't the only one...

Shivering from a chill that was born more of her weak blood than a drop in temperature, Arabella left her apartment to go knock on the door directly across from her. The only other apartment at the apex of the building they lived in, now just her and Michele..

"Bonsoir, Michele.", she called.. "It's just me..."

Michele Hawkins
Aug 23rd, 2008, 09:22:34 AM
My life had become a picture perfect life of happiness. I had become engaged to the woman I loved, I had some awesome friends in my life, my last year of college was going to be starting up soon, and I managed to keep my head.

Well now all of it was screwed to hell. Fiona had to leave on business for an indefinite amount of time. Seemed that an old friend of hers was in trouble, some Faerie craziness that I barely understood, and had to leave in a hurry. Brigid wanted to tag along, as did I, but she was insistent that she could handle herself.

That was three weeks ago. She had left at the beginning of August and I haven't heard from her in two weeks. Fi did say that it would be hard to contact me if she stepped over into the lands of the Fae but not knowing is driving me nuts.

To top it off, Brigid and Nara had a fight. A big one. A really big one. The kind where the walls cracked from the yelling. I really don't know the details but Brigid left in a huff and went to go knows where. Nara became a stoic Garou and is staying with her Band. Well, I think she is. As far as I know, they are still performing around Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, and Detroit. I think Nara is sticking around close by in case Brigid does come back.

Kassandra has been a source of strength for me as of late, at least in the Immortal sense. She creeped the hell outta me, but I think that was just due to how old she is and how she looks at me - you know, looking right through you to your soul kinda thing? she has kept checking on me and making sure I am doing all right. I appreciate that a lot. I think she does it too to make sure no one comes for my head now that I'm out of Fiona's protection. Hence why I still have my head.

Then there's Arabella. She and I have been sulking together and I'm seriously worried about her. I knew she wasn't feeling all that good because of her age but the wear of living past her life expectancy is kicking her good. She doesn't complain or anything. Bella takes everyday in stride, but she is exhausted and scared. I can see that subtly in her eyes. I have no idea what can be done for her. Vampire blood can't sustain her body anymore ...

"Bon Soir, Michele.", she called.. "It's just me..."

Speak of the devil

I roll off the couch and Perc mews at me. He's upset that I moved and lost his warm spot. I pad over to the door and open it, giving her weak smile. "Hey you."

She looks worse then ever and I pretend I don't notice. I know she hates me worrying about her, but she worries about me. At least we can be pathetic mopers together!

Arabella Balfour
Aug 23rd, 2008, 11:31:31 AM
Wrapping one arm around her friend's shoulders in a hug, Arabella petted the back of Michele's hair. She would have asked if there had been any word from Fiona yet, but had there been, she would have heard the squeals of relief by now, and from the still somber expression she wore it was obvious.

Nothing new..

Arabella had even placed a few discreets inquiries with her former informant network trying to find a location for the quirky red-haired Immortal, to no avail. It was the first time in over two hundred years that Arabella had no way to find or contact Fiona. It was like having a sister go missing with no word and it was not helping her already stressed out body.

She'd come all the way to Chicago to spend what she fully expected to be her last days with Fiona and now she was just gone off on some errand? It made no sense..

Sighing, 'Bella let go of Michele and stepped back.

"We cannot go on this way. We either need mass amounts of chocolate or some other equally tasty diversion.", she said in her slight amused, accented voice.

Michele Hawkins
Aug 23rd, 2008, 01:09:55 PM
I made a 'tsk' sound with my tongue and rolled my eyes. "Please. Fiona hasn't been gone that long. There's still plenty of chocolate in the fridge."

And coffee. There was a stupidly left over amount of coffee here because I don't drink it. I'm half tempted to pitch it because every time I look at it, I think of her.

Arabella Balfour
Aug 23rd, 2008, 02:00:27 PM
"Well..", she drawled. "We'd best break it out, hmmm?"

At least they still had each other, she thought with a bit of a mental huff.

Michele was great company and although she hadn't known her anywhere near as long as she'd known 'Fi, they were becoming fast friends. There was a certain amount of kinship with friends who could sit and watch chick flicks and pass along bags of chocolate and boxes of tissue, when the need called for it...

Michele Hawkins
Aug 24th, 2008, 01:17:29 PM
"You go it." I tiredly make my way to the fridge and grab the Godiva truffles. I also start a pot of coffee since I know Bella loves the stuff. Help me get rid of the crap too.

I dangle the bag in front of Bella's eyes and shake them teasingly. "Give it a few for the coffee."

Arabella Balfour
Aug 24th, 2008, 01:42:01 PM
Suppressing a slight laugh, Arabella made a mad grab for the coveted bag. The coffee smelled good, but she doubted it was going to make her feel any better.

After a bit of a cat and mouse game over the bag of truffles, Michele eventually took pity on the aged-ghoul and gave over the loot. With a smile of victory, and a haughty 'Merci!', tossed Michele's way, 'Bella made for the living room with the chocolate, to perch on the couch, nibbling at a piece.

"So, mon cher. What shall we do?"

Martin Le Roux
Aug 24th, 2008, 02:46:38 PM
Martin was furious. Fiona didn't even have the decency to tell him in person. Instead, she had sent a letter via the postal service. It had taken weeks to find him. He looked at the stamps and snarled. It had been mis-delivered three times. Now she was in the orient. Neither Michele nor Bella had contacted him, either. He had received a day time voice message that she was going out of town with Michele and Bella for a bit, but it turned out to be a lie.

In a way, it was a smart tactic. It kept Martin from calling in any favors while the plane was in flight.. He fumbled in his pocket and pressed the remote start button for one of the cars. He could barely remember which one it might be. For now, he restrained himself, merely bringing his closed hand against the edge of his coffee table. It connected with a soft thump. Martin stared at the letter. Immortals, even after all these years, still frustrated and confused with their strange rituals. It was all part of The Game that he so loathed. Sometimes their scheming was worse than a long Sabbat plot.

So, were Michele and Bella about, or were they somewhere else? Perhaps Fiona had them moved. It was time to find out. Martin opened the garage. It smelled faintly of exhaust. The R32 Skyline GT-R burbled with it's high idle, required to keep the motor running with the more aggressive camshafts. He got in the car and backed out. It wasn't a long trip to Fiona's penthouse, and he was in no mood to deal with traffic. Fortunately, it was Saturday, and the sun had just gone down. It would be three hours before things picked up.

He arrived in front of the apartment building with the brakes aglow. He'd need to let the car idle down for about five minutes. Martin made for the main entrance and keyed in the code to let him in. He eschewed the elevator, and went through the stairs in the hope that he could work some of the anger out before he got there. After all, it wasn't Michele's fault Fiona had run off. He straightened his clothing, and knocked on the door.

Michele Hawkins
Aug 24th, 2008, 07:27:20 PM
Someone was at the door! My heart leaped with excitement because it was so happy that an unannounced visitor was here! But the reality check came with the fact that there was no buzz in the back of my mind that told me there was an Immortal near by.

No buzz. No Immortal. No Fiona :(

I calm myself down from the near panic of glee and go to see who it was. Much to my surprise, I saw Martin outside the door.

"Crap!" I turn around in a new panic and with pleading eyes, I look to Bella. "Martin's probably furious with us."

See, we were sworn to secrecy. No one knew that Fiona was gone except for a very select few. She told us that she'd send a letter to the other people she trusted once she got there safely. Martin probably already got his >_<

Arabella Balfour
Aug 24th, 2008, 07:33:25 PM
She'd been about to remind Michele that 'Fi wasn't likely to knock, but then her world turned upside-down again.

Martin!

'Bella flopped over on the couch, stuffed her head under a cushion and wailed in distress, pounding the seat. Why? Why always when she was at her worst?!

Sitting up, she cleared her throat. Setting aside the candy, she smoothed her dark hair, before turning back to Michele with a look of resignation. There was just no puttng it off.

"Probably..", she nodded. "Better let him in..."

Martin Le Roux
Aug 24th, 2008, 08:00:54 PM
Martin was about to knock again, even though he could hear Michele and probably Bella. The deadbolt clicked, and the door opened.

"Mademoiselle Michele. It is good to see you. Fiona's message indicated that you had gone..." Martin waved his in a broad, slow gesture away from his body "...elsewhere."

"Come in, please." Michele said. Martin stepped in, and put a hand on Michele's shoulder. He gave it a gentle squeeze. Martin could not be angry at Michele.

"Bella." He noticed that she was not well. "Oh, Bella." Martin said with a sigh.

Michele Hawkins
Aug 24th, 2008, 08:04:26 PM
Well, at least the Vamp man was understanding. I was about to into a huge apology but then Martin noticed just how bad Bella was. I tipped toed around him and took a seat across from my friend. It really wasn't my place to explain how she was feeling physically and emotionally.

Arabella Balfour
Aug 24th, 2008, 08:20:44 PM
First she winced. Then turned a horrified look toward Michele.

Magnifique! She must look worse than she had initially thought. Wasn't that just lovely!

Arabella looked down at her lap with some self-directed, ill-humor, then looked back up and gave him her bravest smile. "Hello, Martin..."

It was actually more difficult to feel terrible when he was around. Her chilly flesh seemed to suddenly start warming itself up. Her blood pulsed around inside her with a bit more renewed vigor, like it was aware that salvation was just within reach. Of course it was all owing to the fact that they had a mutual past. It created a bond in her blood that was quite strong.

"Is it that bad...?", she laughed.

What else could she do?

Martin Le Roux
Aug 25th, 2008, 06:25:23 PM
Bella seemed to come back to life, but he could sense how close she was. If only Byron hadn't been such a blind tyrant, Bella would be more than a Ghoul. He should have guess that the burst of life from the troublemaker was only that, a burst. Now she was fading.

"Bella, why didn't you tell me sooner?"

Arabella Balfour
Aug 25th, 2008, 06:51:09 PM
With discering eyes, she watched the play of emotion across Martin's features. Concern, irritation even! It was actually quite lovely to be in the esteem of so many. Old, but not forgotten affection swam through her veins like warm honey, drizzled on a croissant. In fact, she pretty much had to tear her gaze away..

"Well... I...", she started to say something, then stopped and shook her head, veiling her features beneath the fall of her dark hair.

"I don't know. I had thought I was ready to be at peace? It's why I came here, to be with 'Fi and Michele...", she smiled over at Michele, a sad little smile.

"But now?", she whispered, looking back over at Martin again. "I'm scared..."

Michele Hawkins
Aug 26th, 2008, 06:39:39 PM
My heart broke into a million pieces at Bella's smile. I mean, I knew the reality of the situation, Fi filled me in, but actually hearing it come from my friend's mouth was horrible!

Tears started to swell and I hugged my legs, trying to hid how upset I was. I was probably doing a crappy job. Ever since I started hanging around all these old foggies, I found out I had the worse poker face ever!

Martin Le Roux
Aug 26th, 2008, 06:50:44 PM
"I understand." Martin said. He did understand. It was seldom that death wasn't in some way terrifying or painful.

She was still beautiful, and intelligent, but she was scared. Martin grabbed his wrist, and was about to dig his thumb nail in, but paused at Michele's sniffles. He sat next to Michele.

"Michele," he whispered, "I am going to do what should have been done long ago. But it is up to her, oui?" Martin wrapped an arm around Michele's shoulders and gave her arm a gentle squeeze to hopefully reassure her.

Michele Hawkins
Aug 26th, 2008, 07:05:27 PM
I sniffle again and nuzzle against Martin's shoulder thinking that it should be Fiona here instead of me. What the hell do I know about this stuff? I mean, I did my homework on Vampire turnings and the like, but I've never witnessed it personally. So, do I really want to be here if Bella decides to do this? Which totally sucks that the only way to save her is to turn her into a Vampire.

Now my heart is beating faster because I'm wondering if she's still gonna be the same old Bella if this is done. Fiona mentioned that sometimes people can't handle the change and there is a shift in the personality :( I don't want that for Bella...

Arabella Balfour
Aug 26th, 2008, 07:34:27 PM
Why did you never turn?

Why do you force yourself to go one this way?

Wouldn't it just be easier if you were embraced?

The voices of those who had cared for her in the past, and even in recent days echoed through her mind. Even Paddy had thought her irrational. She'd been asked the questions so many times. Asked to explain her hesitation. She'd never really given anyone the real answer, only pieces of it. Yes, she was scared. She'd been this way for so long that the change was intimidating. She wasn't sure it was what she wanted, but.. she didn't want to die either.

She'd thought she was ready. Ready to let the past, the immoral and wicked years of her life slip away. Perhaps there was some forgiveness for her? She'd once been a very devout young woman.. Perhaps when the end came her family would be waiting for her? Maybe in death they knew what it had cost her, to give up her virtue and good name to keep them all together, living well. They had turned from her in the end, paining her greatly, but maybe now they could see. She'd done it for them, not because she was wicked and it was what she wanted.

Once she'd been a young girl with the same dreams any young girl had of a home of her own, someone to love, and a family. All things that were impossibilities from the moment she took up a life of sin... She had so much pain inside her, that she kept carefully hidden beneath a painted mask of coquettishness. Some people saw the truth. Others never did.. her mask had slipped away though, she didn't need it anymore now.

After a moment, she realized the Michele was looking at her with a mixture of expectation and something like pity. The room had gone still as a tomb, she was sure that all of them could hear the beat of her heart which had, as yet, stubbornly refused to dry up. Over the slow rhythmic thud, she heard Martin ask her.. not for the first time.. to walk in the night with him. Of course she knew what he was really asking.

Whatever fear was still in her was more afraid of dying slowly, any hesitation that was in her was gone. It was what she wanted. With eyes like a doe caught in the headlights of a truck, she nodded once, her brave smile still fixed in place. "Yes.. I will."

Martin Le Roux
Aug 26th, 2008, 09:31:00 PM
Martin had been given permission long ago to sire a childe, but he had never found anyone he was ready to exercise that right upon. Now that Bella was here, he was going to do what they wanted to over a century ago.

He gently moved her hair aside from her neck. She moved her head back, still she smiled. Martin pulled back his lips, his fangs exposed for a brief moment. Bella gasped as her skin was punctured. Her eyes rolled back.

Martin could feel her blood. It was not so potent now, but he drew it in.

Michele Hawkins
Aug 27th, 2008, 06:07:50 PM
... :(

Ok. My brain knows that this is gonna to save Arabella's life, but I can't consciously sit here watching Martin suck the life from her - because after that, she has to start drinking from him and who knows how she'll handle that.

I'm not like Fiona who's lived centuries and dealt with this sort of thing. I'm an Immortal who's lived just past a year since my first death. I can never die (minus the head cutting thing), and unlike a Vamp, my heart still beats and blood flows through my veins. I'm still alive enough to be squeamish about how this all is before me. There's no beauty in it. Not for me.

I get up and head to the bedroom, locking the door behind me. My eyes shut tight as I fight the tears coming. I'm scared and a wuss. God! Why can't Fiona be here for this?! Why did you have to be a complete schmuck and take her away from me?!

I'm not sure how I ended up with my face in the pillow and sobbing hysterically. Everything's pouring outta me now. My fears of being left alone, forgotten and abandoned have finally taken over. It's been simmering in the back of my mind for the last few weeks, but Bella going through the Embrace has finally toppled me over the edge. It's stupid to feel like this because I know Fiona wouldn't do that to me, but I can't help it. The reality of what's going on in the front room shows me how much I rely on her. It shows me how vulnerable I am without her ... Course what it really is showing me is how I can't handle change.

I can't do this alone. Hell, even Nikoleta's gone, gallivanting with Rod somewhere. I'm the last Immortal in Chicago for god's sake!

My head perks up as I realize, duh ... Kassandra! She stopped by not too long after Fiona had to leave and explain how flighty my girl was (not that I really needed to be told that. I mean everyone knows that Fiona has the attention span of a gnat). What did help is that she tried to reinforce that Immortals kinda just go off sometimes. Course she did imply that Fiona might not come back because Immortals don't stay in one place for too long :(

That can't be true. I don't want it to be true.

Either way, my fingers already had started to dial Kass' number and I put my ear to the cell, trying to fend off the sniffles and put on a good front. Kassandra was so old that a sniffling young Immortal wouldn't be a good impression. Right? Right ...

Kassandra
Aug 27th, 2008, 07:00:09 PM
Elsewhere, there was a beeping. Kassandra frowned, slowly lowering the book from in front of her eyes. What was-... of course. With a sigh, she spotted the vibrating cell-phone on the table ahead and wondered for a moment why she owned such a thing. The world had survived hundreds of years without those buzzing, screeching things and yet now it was compulsory for everyone to be permanently attached to one. Upon picking up the gadget and seeing the caller ID, however, her bitter irritation building inside of her all but vanished.

“Michele,” she smiled, the expression no doubt audible in her voice. “Hello.”

Arabella Balfour
Aug 27th, 2008, 08:05:44 PM
Her time must have been closer at hand than she had initially thought.. Martin seemed almost urgent. Not that she could blame him. Not at all. There had been a time when she was so sure that this was what she wanted, with him, without question. Only, their wishes had been denied, and 'Bella would not have argued with Byron back then. In fact, she didn't think she would have done so now, for that matter.

Although she might ask him if he would have preferred the alternative...

A century of longing was a powerful thing..

She'd spoken to Paddy about her affairs, such as they were, trading her blood for vitae, to prolong her life and keep her strong. It made her a powerful servant for a long time, and eventually she won enough respect and influence to become independent, but as she'd told him, those she had been with out of choice and not necessity, they were a different story entirely..

Martin was one of those stories...

In his arms for the first time in an age, she could have gone ahead and died right that moment in sheer joy. The Kiss, as it were.. It was what had changed her from peddling her flesh to peddling her blood, it was more addictive than any drug, and when it was a mutual desire, the pleasure was almost unbearable. Arabella knew somewhere in the back of her mind that Michele had gotten up to leave, but she was far too entangled in a haze of bliss to respond. It was all she could do to lift her arms and cling to Martin, with a breathless incoherent whisper..

Martin Le Roux
Aug 27th, 2008, 09:48:23 PM
Her hold gradually grew more distant, more weak as her blood flowed from her to him. Life was leaving her, but her body remained enraptured. He could feel the bliss shudder through her.

Then there was no more to drink. Bella's body lay empty, but her eyes still held a distant spark of life. He had never drunk a kine before. His head swam for a moment, and air moved through his lungs as he exhaled.

Martin pressed his thumbnail into his wrist, tearing the flesh. Crimson welled up from the wound, and he pressed it to Bella's lips. For a moment, nothing happened. What spark was there seemed to have dissapeared.

"No..." he whispered, and turned his face away. He couldn't remember the details of his death, just the dying, and the revenge. But Bella meeting final death now...

Michele Hawkins
Aug 28th, 2008, 07:32:28 AM
"Hey ..." Great. My voice was hoarse and sounded pitiful since it was dry. I cleared my throat and swallowed a few times to get some of the moistness back. "Hey Kass."

Much better! Now to try and act cool.

"I was, um, just feeling ... Feeling rather overwhelmed." Which was putting it mildly. "You said I could call if ... Well, for anything really."

I wince. I sound like an idiot. I mean, I'm not completely freaking out about what's going on in the front room. I'm scared for Bella of course. It's me worrying about Fiona that's making me a wreck.

Arabella Balfour
Aug 30th, 2008, 05:19:04 PM
The thouch of her cold lip changed from an unresponsivee slackness to a delicate but faint press. Martin's taste stained her pale lips crimson. As she struggled to hold on with limp fingers, she thought she heard the call of a young girl in the distance. One of her younger sister's, calling to her.

Calling over and over to come home, it was late. She thought about that sister briefly, and was taken from the moment into a sudden blur of memories from her life. They rushed past her, she felt each of the myriad of emotions at once. She thought on the past, her family. The last day she saw them. Her scandalous years on the move with Fiona. Fiona! Inconstant and as changing as the wind, flitting here one minute and gone then next, just like now.. but she had adored her as much as any of the sisters she had lost. Meeting Byron...staying with Byron, being bonded to him. Loving him enough not to care that she was just another servant, and one far beneath him at that. Her Prince.. Meeting Martin. Loving him. Losing him. Years.. Pain.. Weakness.. Cold....

I'm afraid.

Don't let me go!

Martin!

Byron...

Then there was absolutely nothing. Like being so tired you don't remember going to sleep, let alone what dreams you may have had. Just dark stillness. It was peaceful, but lonely and then suddenly she thought she heard someone.

Martin..

She heard him speak, she remembered where she was and then in the span of no more than a minute she forced her throat to move, swallowing vitae as it flowed into her mouth, eager to be renewed, drenched with sudden awareness. One swallow and she was able to move her tongue, at first only gently lapping at the wound, coaxing more into her mouth. It flowed into her, warming her, making her tingle straight into her motionless limbs, which were gradually becoming strong again. With almost dainty gestures, she practically purred her delight, her hands lifting to clutch at his wrist, keeping it pressed tightly to her lips.

Kassandra
Aug 31st, 2008, 02:28:45 PM
"Hey ..." Great. My voice was hoarse and sounded pitiful since it was dry. I cleared my throat and swallowed a few times to get some of the moistness back. "Hey Kass."

Much better! Now to try and act cool.

"I was, um, just feeling ... Feeling rather overwhelmed." Which was putting it mildly. "You said I could call if ... Well, for anything really."

I wince. I sound like an idiot. I mean, I'm not completely freaking out about what's going on in the front room. I'm scared for Bella of course. It's me worrying about Fiona that's making me a wreck.

As with so many things, there was much to be learned by listening. Kassandra hadn't lived for hundreds upon hundreds of years without acquiring some understanding of human traits, body language and such like. She could hear the... uncertainty, the panic in Michele's tone.

“Overwhelmed? Is everything alright?” she asked, her own mimicry of concern perfect. “Do you want me to come over?”

Michele Hawkins
Aug 31st, 2008, 03:06:14 PM
"Um," I turn my head to the door and could hear some mumblings, but nothing specific. "Not sure if coming over's a good idea ..."

Seriously. I mean, Hi Bella! Hi Martin! Sorry to intrude on your blood moment of bliss. Even if things went bad, I really wouldn't want Kassandra here. Martin would have to ... to uh... Well, ya know? Take care of things... :(

"I could meet you somewhere?" I gnaw on my lip, nervous that Martin will be upset that I bailed on him, but what the hell am I gonna do with Bella? I'm not a Vamp and can't do crap. "I just really don't want to be at the condo right now."

Once I find out on Bella's status, then I'll bolt. I'm not rude enough to just leave without knowing how she is regardless.

Martin Le Roux
Sep 1st, 2008, 10:26:48 AM
Martin's head turned as she began to stir again. He could feel his blood being drawn to her. Her body flushed with color, her grip grew strong.

"Bella." She sucked with urgency now. If he did not intervene, she'd drain him. She was lost in the act. There was nothing but the feeding. He reached down, and began to squeeze her arm.

"Arrêter, Bella." His childe looked up with a glow. One last lap, and she stopped. Her eyes had the look of one who had just fed well.

Martin frowned while Bella basked in the afterglow. Where had Michele gone?

Arabella Balfour
Sep 1st, 2008, 11:35:26 AM
Although she had stopped her conquest of draining Martin, she had yet to let go of his arm either. Instead, she seemed inclined to hang onto it for a while, holding him to her.

When the coffee pot from the kitchen finished it's percolating with expert timing, it resounded through the apartment with a rather comedic gurgle, considering what had been going on only seconds prior. The humor of the situation was not lost on Arabella who was quite obviously feeling much improved.

In fact she felt like she was made of radiant moonlight, the stuff of epic poems! She smiled slightly, curling further up against Martin, somewhat speechless, distracted by how much better she felt and how much everything seemed to fascinate her...

Kassandra
Sep 1st, 2008, 11:46:25 AM
Though she had acquired an apartment not far from Michele's, Kassandra was not eager to entertain guests. There were things being kept in her apartment, at present, that were not for the younger Immortal's eyes.

“Yes, we can meet somewhere. Why don't we go for a drink, a bite to eat?”

Michele Hawkins
Sep 1st, 2008, 11:54:54 AM
"Um sure. That's sounds good. How about I meet you at the Cafe Avanti?" The fresh smell of coffee waifs into the room and I sigh. Well, I guess no one will be drinking that now, huh? Feh. "I just need to tidy up here and then I'll be right on my way."

Kassandra
Sep 1st, 2008, 12:08:00 PM
“Sounds great,” Kassandra replied, smiling brightly to herself. “See you soon.”

Click – the conversation was at an end. Now, all that remained was to straighten out her appearance, apply a light mist of perfume, and make her way to the cafe. She picked up her keys and striding to the front-door, took a moment to glance back into the lounge, where Fiona's sword stood balanced against an old armchair.

Grinning, she flicked off the lightswitch, plunging the room into darkness, before departing out into the city.

Martin Le Roux
Sep 1st, 2008, 12:48:26 PM
Michele still looked troubled when she emerged from her bedroom. Bella held his arm still. He caressed his hand gently against her face. She was in the high. Her senses were sharpened and altered now. Bella ahh'd and mmm'd at his touch.

"I apoligize, Michele." He managed through his fascination. Bella's creation had been so different than his own, but he hadn't meant to scare his friend. Being so preoccupied was rude, but he had trouble pulling himself away.

Arabella Balfour
Sep 1st, 2008, 06:52:44 PM
Looking back on her recent embracement, Arabella found that she had been blessed many times over. The illness of her blood had left the shell of her body already so weak and drained, that she had just slipped easily from one state to another. No pain stricken transformations for her, only a heady, sated glow from head to toe, and a return of strength she had not felt in years. More than that! Stronger!

She picked her hands up, finally letting go of Martin for a moment to stare at her own pale limbs in wonder. That was when Michele entered the room. Arabella's face lit up with smile to dazzle, when she saw her. "Michele...mon sucré."

Michele Hawkins
Sep 1st, 2008, 07:07:37 PM
I breathe a sigh of relief and a weight was lifted off my chest. Arabella was fine. More then fine. She had this unnatural glow about her and looked at me with gleeful childlike fascination as if she was seeing at me for the first time. It was awfully creepy, just like how she was talking to me.

"I'm heading out for a bit so you guys can um ... do whatever it is you need to do after ..." I wave my hand around trying to find the right words, but watching Bella cling to Martin like some other worldly spectre of her former self really left me speechless. I'm truly glad she is all right. Honestly! I'm happy she is alive, but already she's different and I need to deal with that on my own time. I probably wouldn't mind this so much if I had knew Arabella before the change, like Martin. Martin has always been a Vamp-man to me, but as long as I live, I'll remember Bella as a human ...

I set the coffee so it stays heated. "I won't be gone for too long."

Martin Le Roux
Sep 2nd, 2008, 08:37:16 PM
Martin stared at Michele blankly. He wondered where she was going. He wanted to take Bella out for a drink, he without ideas on what else to do. Bella knew plenty about Kindred already. What Bella needed was the practical application of feeding, and control of oneself. Humans could drain if one was too preoccupied, and she had yet to encountered her beast.

"We might... slip out for a bit." He said while he mussed Bella's hair. The night was plenty young.

Arabella Balfour
Sep 3rd, 2008, 07:47:37 PM
Michele had barely met her eyes.. In fact, she'd seemed quite eager to leave. Arabella's smile drooped considerably. She knew that this whole experience was a first for her as well, but she had really thought that her friends would have been happy for her. Her time on this earth had been with the remaining expectancy of a candle, flickering and sputtering at the slightest breeze. Paddy had prolonged it, but it had just been her time..

Now? She was restored. She was herself again! Better than that. She actually felt like making merry! She had wanted to run to Michele and spin around, sharing her glee.. but Michele had left, which made 'Bella think...

"Have I done something wrong....?", she asked softly, her eyes still settled on the spot where Michele had walked out.

Arabella was still delighting at being touched by Martin, by her sire.. The thought made her smile return, even though she was still worried over her friend. She sat up a bit. "I suppose I'll have to give her time. It's fine."

"Out... Yes! That sounds lovely!", she turned, still seated, and spent a decadently long moment letting her newly acquired appreciation for visually stimulating sights to roam over Martin. After a moment her lips twisted into a smile. "...let me go change first?"

Martin Le Roux
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:29:48 PM
"Of course." Martin had no problem letting Bella change. She didn't take very long, either. Just a touch of make-up here and there, and a little black dress that would put men (and some women) into lamp-posts. Like her face and skin, the rest of her had firmed up. Martin, as always, had dressed adaptably. He felt a little frumpy next to Bella, but only a little.

She beamed.

"Where will we go?" She asked.

"Well," he said, unlocking the car and opening the door for Bella, "we could always crash a party." The local Toreadors kept a running e-mail list of the good parties theoretically worth crashing. Martin didn't usually commit as much, but he knew who's opinion and words were worth examining.

Arabella Balfour
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:58:47 PM
Before getting in the car, 'Bella paused, gazing up at Martin with a spellbound little look. Her eyes held his for a long moment before she arched up on her toes to press a soft kiss to his jaw.

"Thank you..." It was not just gratitude for his being chivalrous enough to open a door for a lady, although that sort of thing always charmed the old fashioned girl she really was. This was a more profound bit of thanks. It was thanks for her life, which would have been snuffed at anytime now, without his intervention.

Her dark eyes closed in pleasure, as she was pressed up against him for a moment, before sliding back down onto her heels. Smiling, she slid into the seat.

"A party would be lovely..."

Martin Le Roux
Oct 13th, 2008, 10:41:10 PM
Martin nodded. Bella would need to learn to control her Beast. What better way to do it than at an overwrought private party? There would be expensive alchohol and more expensive drugs. Bella knew about those things as a Parisian, but not as a Kindred.

Hopefully she would loose some of her tactile high during the car ride. Martin was concerned about what she would do if she touched a member of the living. He remembered his early days too vividly. Feeding was the ultimate rush.

Martin shifted gently as the turbos attached to the motor began to whine. The waste gate made a mild wooshing noise as excess air pressure was relieved. It was on the other side of down-town, in a penthouse atop an upper-middle class apartment building. Bella's eyes flicked about everywhere, as if she was in town for the first time. The light turned yellow, and then red. The GT-R made a grumbly pop when Martin clutched in and lifted off the gas while the car coasted to a stop. Her eyes stopped. Martin saw it as well. A woman in a red shirt and a khaki skirt with nicely heeled boots. Both were filled out perfectly. She had mocha skin, dark green eyes, and jet black hair. Her hips swayed, and her reflection played out across the perfectly waxed white hood of the GT-R. Bella's hand slinked twoards the door handle.

"Non." Martin said. His voice was certain.

Arabella Balfour
Oct 16th, 2008, 05:29:19 PM
Halfway to the handle, her hand paused. Her fingers twitched and then closed into a tight little fist, but her eyes never left the woman. Unknowingly, within her mouth, the tip of her tongue was running along her teeth as if in anticipation of a delicacy coming her way. Mouth watering and all hers for the taking.

That Martin told her no almost made her turn to him with a pout. Of course she knew she could not do as she liked at the moment, she knew... but she didn't care! She wanted! She knew it was the Hunger. She rationalized that many before her had probably screwed up in the beginning and she could learn in time...

Please, oh please..

The light turned green again and 'Bella's hand fell back into her lap, with no small amount of control... "Mon Dieu, is it always so.. demanding?"

Martin Le Roux
Oct 16th, 2008, 08:08:52 PM
Martin shook his head. "Not always." He said, and eased the car away. Arabella stole a last glance, but her body snapped back when Martin burried the pedal. The car's weight squatted over the rear wheels, which chirped before the Skyline roared away (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2636418698734998552&ei=Zu73SPDEFZCQqQKD2czfDg&hl=en).

"These first days are overwhelming. The sense of power, the perception, the new lusts." Martin said over the growl of the motor and wail of the turbos. He deftly threaded the car through a gap with only inches to spare. Before the driver was even aware how the car had appeared in front to honk, Martin had already gained a hundred yards. He shifted, the car belched flame with a crackle-pop. Blue and red lights lit up from a side street. Martin firmly hauled the car to a near halt and threw it to the right down the next side street, and then left, and right, and down five more thundering blocks before heading left again.

And then, with a touch of the brake pedal, it was over. The car was merely a quietly growling beast instead of Godzilla unleashed. Sirens in the distance grew a little louder, and then quieter again.

"To let our Beast run free will either be our undoing, or someone else's. Both, sometimes. We cannot allow slips of control." Martin drove normally, as if his demonstration had never happened.

Arabella Balfour
Oct 17th, 2008, 04:53:43 PM
Her dark eyes were quite wide, an expression of excitement frozen in place like a porcelain doll. She turned to him with an arch look. "We must do that again..."

Arabella understood what Martin was saying. Really, even though she already knew of these things, experiencing them for the first time was something else. She had not been prepared for how strong she could feel things. Thing like hunger, and desire. Everything was so keen, so honed.

"I understand...", she said quietly, trying to adjust to the strange sensations.

Martin Le Roux
Oct 18th, 2008, 08:55:32 PM
Martin nodded.

"Maybe another night." He said, and gently clicked the car into third. He occasionally passed another driver, but none of his antics would have raised an eyebrow.

For now, he was determined to help Bella catch her first prey, and not make a mess of things. Few neonates were restrained enough to feed the first time without being lethal to kine. While Martin was confident in Bella, she was taken with her gifts, and would need him to snap her out of her euphoria.

The car arrived at the parking garage for the relatively nondescript apartment building. It was recently refurbished. The glass showed no signs of bowing. The windows were modern, double pained for energy efficency. The stone had been cleaned recently. The Skyline grumbled at being driven so slowly, it's low burble eched off the walls of the underground parking garage. It shut off with glurg, an extra rotation from the motor as an act of defiance. Arabella exited first, and spent a moment studying the reflections in the clearcoat, how the light hit it. Martin smiled.

"I think the people will be more interesting than the light hitting the car." He said.

Arabella Balfour
Oct 24th, 2008, 02:00:28 PM
Arabella hid a little girlish grin, peeking up at Martin as she moved around to take his arm. For a moment she might have argued on behalf of the near prism like quality of how the light sparkled just so.. but then she recallled how she had felt in the car as they had passed the woman on the street and she wasn't so sure.

"You are probably right. I am sure they will be most... endearing." At her own choice of words, her smiled deepened in the garage lighting.

She could not yet put into words how her newly acquired senses felt to her. She was not sure there were words descriptive enough for such sensation. Not far, she could smell the distinctive heat of warm flesh. She could feel it call to her, teasing her with the desire to hunt and claim it. It was both fascinating and a little terrifying. Being a monster was never what she wanted. It was one of the many reasons she hadn't really wanted to be embraced but now, she thought maybe she understood the old saying she'd heard so many times before.

'Monsters we are, lest monsters we become.'

She needed to learn control, and she could only do that with the watchful restraint of her sire. Learning how to hunt what she wanted, and know when she'd had enough. Taming her inner Beast that even now she could feel stirring..

"I'm a little afraid...", she admitted.

Martin Le Roux
Oct 28th, 2008, 08:09:48 PM
"We are all a little afraid." Martin said, reassuringly. They should all be afraid of the monster that lurked in Kindred. It was a good thing. If you dissmissed it, the Beast took over.

Bella and Martin were quiet as they ascended the stairs, although she was distracted by nearly everything. She was fiending for her first feed, and the textures and colors were a welcome distraction. The elevator dinged when they reached the top floor.

"Dean, hello." Martin said warmly to a man in his mid 30s. Stock broker, fitness addict. The floor was well populated with Chicago's well-to-do. There were probably 40 people in the main room.

"Hi Martin, please come in, come in."

"Dean, this is Bella." Bella smiled. "Pleased to meet you." Her French accent came through.

"French, or Canadian?" Dean asked. He had tone deaf ears and liked terrible music. Fortunately, his boyfriend had much better taste.

"French, monsieur."

"Hah! I never can tell. John says I have the worst ears. Feel free to make yourselves comfortable."