PDA

View Full Version : Shadows and Showdowns

Emmett Colt
Aug 4th, 2008, 02:23:07 AM
"Why?" He asked, his voice breaking.

"I don't know, Emmett. I'm sorry. I wish I had an answer for you."

"This can't be happening. It can't have happened." He put his head against his hands, the roughened brim of his hat scratching against his skin. He was too exhausted to cry, too drained to do anything other than ask again, "Why?"

"Pray with me," Elijah suggested.

"I don't want t'pray. I want to know why."

"Pray with me anyway."

Too tired to argue, Emmett Colt merely nodded and gave way to the man who was, for all intents and purposes, his brother-in-law. Elijah Bennett prayed; he did, too.

And then he stood. His eyes teared as he glanced up towards the pulpit, but his tears never fell. His eyes dried. They began to burn. He blinked once, but it didn’t help. He had no more tears to shed. He’d given them all away.

Emmett turned and walked down the aisle. Rebekah was standing by the last pew, watching him with a look that Emmett couldn't even begin to decipher. Not that he wanted to - there had been enough exchanged between them to last a lifetime. Two lifetimes, even.

He heard Elijah shuffling behind him. "Emmett, wait - "

"I got to get back to the ranch."

"You could stay with us." Elijah offered. "It's a fair ride and you could use the rest."

"Need to get back." Emmett said. The preacher would not be dissuaded so easily. The man's perseverance was legendary. He pressed onward, following Emmett down the aisle, the air so thick with humidity that it seemed to roll with their every movement.

"Did He speak to you?" Elijah asked.

Emmett looked over his shoulder and caught Elijah's gaze. He nodded.

"What did He say?"

"You don't want to know." Emmett said. He turned and walked away. Rebekah followed; she caught him on the stairs, one hand on his shoulder long enough to pull him to a stop.

"Tell me." She said, staring at him with the look that had first made him stop and take notice. That had been before Ruth. Before everything. "Tell me."

"Don’t you want to know what I asked first?" Emmett’s voice was little more than a shadow. His eyes were dull and distant. He was looking at Rebekah, but he wasn’t seeing her.

"You asked why." She surmised. Easily, like he was as clear to her as spring water.

"No. I asked why her. Why them, instead of me."

"And what did He say?"

He stared at Rebekah for almost a full minute before answering. When he did speak, his voice was so quiet it barely cleared the still of the summer air. The words were gravel in his mouth, and he offered them to Rebekah in return for everything he’d taken from her.

"He said goodbye."

He woke well before dawn, startled out of a dream that he couldn't now remember. There had been horses, maybe. That was what had woken him so abruptly, at any rate - he thought he'd heard a horse screaming in distress.

Emmett went still. He strained to hear through the early-waking sounds of morning. Birds, a light wind, the shuffling of livestock. Nothing unusual.

He let out a low breath that wasn't quite heavy enough to be considered a sigh. With his usual quiet acceptance, Emmett unfolded himself from the warm confines of his bed. The cool air against his skin helped clear any lingering cobwebs. He slipped into his clothes, picking them up as he walked across the room - trousers on the floor, undershirt hanging from a chair back, button down resting half-hazardly on the dusty chest near the door.

Breakfast was coffee and cold biscuits, like it always was. He hardly noticed the taste as he stood on the porch. Already his mind was filing down the list of tasks that needed doing. The cattle needed to be moved to the south pasture, but he'd have to replace the fence posts beforehand. That was a morning's work, at least.

Emmett rubbed at his jaw with a weathered hand. He was eager to start, but as he turned to deposit his cup inside, a little blur in the distance caught his eye. Emmett squinted, just making out the lines of a buggy as the speck moved closer. He tensed, straightened to his full height.

Of all the mornings...

With a set look, the man stepped off the porch and waited until the wagon drew close enough for him to call out to it's driver.

"You ain't welcome here." Subtlety had never been his strong suit.

Immanuel Gaultier
Aug 7th, 2008, 08:59:41 PM
"Emmett, I won't be here tomorrow. It's Papa and Shirley's anniversary."

Rebekah stood at the opposite end of his table, her hands gripping the top of the back of the chair sitting there. Emmett had just come back in from his daily work, and Rebekah was ready to go home to her husband after a long day caring for Ruth in the sorrowful state she was and had been in for some time. Ruth Colt was her cousin, the closest thing she had to a sibling (being an only child and all), and be damned if she would let the woman carry on in that depression. Ruth herself, was once again sleeping. So were the children. Ruth's husband, however, seemed not to be paying attention.

"Are you listening to me, Emmett Colt?" She leaned forward, eyeing him critically. They had a history, Ruth, Emmett and Rebekah, the last of the three always being full of the common sense and know-how that she appeared to have acquired from her father. Emmett looked up from his glass of water, as if to barely acknowledge her from his tired state.

"Yeah. I'm worn out, Becca. Y'know."

Rebekah nodded, and crossed her arms. "Yes, I know. Now, like I said, I ain't gonna be here tomorrow. You had better be taking a break from your chores, 'cause Ruth needs you. You can't let her out of your sight, and you certainly can't leave her alone with the kids. Not in the state she's in. It's just not safe."

As the day dawned, prayers were said, as was the way in the Bennett household, just the same as it would be at the end of every day. Such habits were pieces of their faith, Rebekah having learned them from her father, and they were as much a part of her daily life as was breathing. Some days, as it is said, are easier than others. Today was one of those days where she was just going through the motions. It had occurred to her that the anniversary of the death of the kids and Ruth's subsequent institutionalization was coming really fast. It was hard for her that there had been no closure. Emmett had never let her on his land since that day, especially with the more than heated screaming lecture and teary-eyed berating that Rebekah had given him. Since that day, things had been beyond strained between them. He didn't seem to see how he could be faulted, as far as she could tell, but that didn't matter.

After breakfast, her resolve was solid. She knew just what she was going to do with her morning...and afternoon and evening, if it took that long. Rebekah pulled up in the wagon, hushing it to a stop as Emmett approached. She cast on him a pitying look.

"You ain't welcome to keep me from the other half of my life, Emmett Colt."

It didn't matter because she blamed herself.

Emmett Colt
Aug 7th, 2008, 09:13:32 PM
"My land." It was his usual response to her usual accusation. Emmett stepped forward. He would walk the damn team back to town if that was what it took.

He wondered passingly what Ruth would think of his hospitality methods. He didn’t let the thought take hold and stick around because he was pretty sure he knew what the answer would be, and he didn't have time to feel guilty and still put down a full-blown, drag-out confrontation before it escalated into something worse than it already was.

Emmett braced his hands on the side of the wagon, blocking her descent. "I mean it Rebekah. Go on home."

Immanuel Gaultier
Aug 18th, 2008, 10:57:22 PM
It wasn't the first time she heard those words, but today she was determined that it would be the last. Or close to it. No, her determination was solid. She would not be leaving until she had broken down some of this wall that Emmett had put up. It had been far too long, and Rebekah could barely take it anymore. She just couldn't stand the pain of being denied this one thing.

Rebekah Bennett would get what she wanted, no matter how selfish it might make her feel.

So help me, God.

The phrases Emmett Colt had chosen to greet her with this morning were ones of a very small collection he had been grudgingly and awkwardly trading with her words of strained kindness and veiled insults for longer than was right or healthy. Those words caused Rebekah to stare incredulously at the man who used to be...no...still was - in a fashion - related to her. She stared at him for the stubborn persistence of his stance, while also trying to conjure up words to toss back at him. She leaned in towards him, gripping the coach for support, until she floated just barely an inch from his face.

"Not this time. I am not leaving until this stops. I am not leaving until I get what I have come for." Mrs. Bennett looked him dead straight in both eyes.

She meant every word.

Emmett Colt
Nov 29th, 2008, 01:33:37 AM
Emmett returned the stare with cold, even reciprocation. He couldn't keep trouble from visiting, but he sure as hell wasn't gonna lend it a chair.

"And what is it you come for, Rebekah?" He replied, an edge to his voice. Emmett's hands tightened and turned knuckle-white on the wagon frame. "To weep and gnash your teeth on my babies graves? You think that's gonna ease your pain some, take away the grief?"

A mean huff escaped him, and Emmett shook his head. "It won't. Go on home to that husband of yours. Elijah's full of prayers 'bout absolution; that's what you're after and you ain't gonna find it here."

Immanuel Gaultier
Nov 29th, 2008, 03:49:45 AM
"Elijah doesn't know I'm here, Emmett..."

She breathed the words out, sigh-like. She removed one hand from the frame of the wagon, and reached forward, hesitated, then drew it back to herself, holding it as a fist to her chest, clutching the front of her dress. His stiff rebuffing made her start to think about why she was here, why she was trying this again, and doubting that she would come away from it with anything changed at all. But, by God, she had to try. It just couldn't keep festering like an infected wound for the rest of their years.

"...an' you're right. If I wanted absolution, Elijah's got it plenty, and I would have went to him."

She looked down his shirt, traveled down his pants... to his boots, all kicked up in dust, breathed in and out, studied the pattern of dirt, then sort of looked off to the side.

"But that's not what I'm here for. No amount of visiting those graves will bring back what was lost."

She then brought her eyes back to look on his face, stern as it had been these several years, mostly for her. She wondered when the last time was that he'd smiled at her, for her. It seemed like forever ago, and she knew those memories hardly had any place in this moment. Almost all of those memories involved Ruth as well, and would be too painful until he could accept it all and move on.

"I'm here for you, Emmett."

Emmett Colt
Nov 29th, 2008, 04:20:50 AM
He swallowed thickly, then let go of the wagon and backed away, ducking his head down low so that his face was hidden. The horses shifted and snorted.

"Go on back to your husband, Rebekah." Emmett repeated gruffly, turning away. "Ain't nothing here for you anymore."