PDA

View Full Version : Heinz Homosexual Advert Causes Outrage

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 25th, 2008, 08:49:47 PM
<object height="344" width="425">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2VhL18Ex5m4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="344" width="425"></object>

So, it seems that America is in outrage (lol I'm exaggerating but exaggeration is the theme of this whole piece) over an advert that has been shown over here in the UK, which depicts two men kissing. You can see the advert (which isn't anything salacious, by any means) in the above news clip, from CNN. Heinz have pulled the advert from circulation because of - if I remember rightly - 200 complaints. This has escalated, somehow, to international media coverage. :huh

Thoughts?

JMK
Jun 25th, 2008, 09:06:08 PM
Not surprising. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays had to shorten their name to the Tampa Bay Rays because religious cooks were offended by "Devil" in the team's name.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 25th, 2008, 09:08:16 PM
It surprised me, mostly, because this ad - as far as I can tell - was never aired in the US, and was never intended to air there... yet people are still getting worried about it!

Travis North
Jun 25th, 2008, 09:40:42 PM
The first call is jokes.

I don't feel the ad should have been pulled just because it shows two men kissing. I laughed at it, Heinz succeeds at humor. I'm in Canada though so my thoughts on the issue equate to jack, since it's not in my county, or on my TV. :p

Follow this line of thought if you like.

How many times has Bugs Bunny kissed Elmer Fudd? I don't see Looney Toons beings pulled off the airwaves. Then again Bugs is a rabbit, that borders on homesexual beastiality/anthropomorphism. :o Bugs is a cartoon though, so it's colourful entertainment.

Maybe Heinz should have gone the animated route instead. They'd have gotten more laughs I think, and not stirred the hornets nest of homophobes over there to have 200 people complain. That's a little over two bus loads of people in the UK.

The fact that this story has crossed the Atlantic is an all together different issue. I want to know how many networks have made a story out of this in North America. I bet it was picked up to fan the flames. Pun intended. Anything to stir up contoversy, even motivate activists on both sides of the fense to do something.

I'm interested to hear what happens next.

Figrin D'an
Jun 25th, 2008, 09:45:18 PM
Sadly, it doesn't surprise me one bit that people on the religious right in the US would get up in arms over this. Trying to dictate what others do in their sex lives is at the heart of their agenda, and anything even loosely associated with a lifestyle with which they don't agree will be the target of their ire.

Banner Laverick
Jun 25th, 2008, 09:56:14 PM
I thought the ad was cute. How cares if two men kiss? there was no tongue involved XD

Aurelias Kazaar
Jun 25th, 2008, 10:00:11 PM
Not surprising. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays had to shorten their name to the Tampa Bay Rays because religious cooks were offended by "Devil" in the team's name.

It's Kooks JMK ;) :p

Anyway, from what I understood the fanbase was the ones who complained about the name, saying it was too long and also the fact devil rays aren't even found in Tampa waters (not that Indianapolis is known for its Colts but I digress). Plus the name was also kinda weird sounding too (not that Tampa Bay Rays is any better but still...).

As for the commercial, I got a chuckle out of it but I didn't find it completely funny. And I think both sides need to chill out. I think I know what Heinz was going for in the commercial (they were saying their mayo is so good, home-cooked sandwiches with our mayo taste like a deli made them) but I think both sides are overreacting.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 26th, 2008, 12:42:24 AM
Those damn religious cooks! Always there are too many in the kitchen spoiling the soup!! :shakefist

Droo
Jun 26th, 2008, 01:44:33 AM
I won't comment on the stupidity of conservative prudes since it speaks for itself. However, at first I thought the fella in the kitchen was Robert De Niro. That would've been brilliant!

JMK
Jun 26th, 2008, 05:19:16 AM

It's Kooks JMK ;) :p

Riiiight. Sorry, I think I breathed in too many chlorine vapors from the bleach last night.

Kooks it is. :)

Samantha Koortyn
Jun 29th, 2008, 04:50:19 PM
However, at first I thought the fella in the kitchen was Robert De Niro. That would've been brilliant!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQKrgi2PMz8

I thought the commercial was cute.

Crystal
Jun 29th, 2008, 05:09:23 PM
This is an outrage! I will never buy ketchup again!

Kelly Perris
Jun 30th, 2008, 10:09:22 AM
...Mm. Ketchup.

Salem Ave
Jun 30th, 2008, 07:12:45 PM
That DeNiro clip... O_o

I don't remember that part of the book. Clearly I need to see Stardust.

Samantha Koortyn
Jun 30th, 2008, 08:23:35 PM
Yes. Yes, you do.

Jaime Tomahawk
Jul 1st, 2008, 06:32:28 AM
...Mm. Ketchup.

Gross!

:vomit:

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 1st, 2008, 07:04:06 AM
Vomit? Noooo... ketchup + bacon sandwich = mmmm.

Kelly Perris
Jul 1st, 2008, 11:31:02 AM
I mix together ketchup and mayo to dip my fries in. Perfectly normal. :)

Damien E. Dervish
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:59:29 AM
LMAO.

Yeah, Droo is right. The guy does remind me of DeNiro, especially his attitude. It was meant to be humorous; if we think of the typical roles that DeNiro plays, he's a bit of a heterosexual tough guy. I mean, look at Paul Vitti from the Analyse movies. Then think of him being a deli guy who they call "mum."

Shows how thin-skinned people are. I don't necessarily condone such a lifestyle, but I'm not a condemning buttinsky. Especially when it had such a humorous spin to it. Overall, a hilarious comercial that really shouldn't've been pulled.

Then again, they've made a good point; they're trying to sell condiments, not make a stand on any lifestyle. So the "lack of humor" and pulling it because of "offending both sides" was a good call in a buisness sense, and perhaps even in a personal one. I could see why they would and why the reaction would be so bad.....even thought I was pretty much in stitches when the guy was all: "Hey! You forgettin' somethin'?!" I coulda swore he was a deli guy for the Mob. :lol

Cat X
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:02:35 AM

That is not normal, missy.

Kelly Perris
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:32:48 AM

That is not normal, missy.

One of my aunts would put her fries in a bag, and put everything you might possibly put on fries or dip fries IN...in the bag. You know, ketchup, mayo, mustard, relish, vinegar, salt, pepper...the list goes on. Then she would shake up the bag, and eat the fries.

So yes, comparatively, my choice of what I dip my fries in is pretty normal. But really, nothing beats a REALLY good gravy. Or garlic mayo.

Batdude
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:50:28 PM
Ugh, ketchup should be illegal.

Jaime Tomahawk
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:55:29 PM
But really, nothing beats a REALLY good gravy.

:swoon:

Marry me pls.

Wyl Staedtler
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:44:36 PM
Gravy and cheese curds.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:48:49 PM
Chips and gravy is the win.

Kelly Perris
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:50:02 PM
Funny, I agree with both the Liz AND the Jenny. I love both those things.

This just proves a few things:

I have good taste. I have varied taste. I'm versatile.

And, let's just face it, folks. I bloody well RULE.

...Of course, that may have been the conceit speaking. ;)

Hey Liz, could you pass me a serviette? I just spilt my poutine on the Chesterfield. :lol

Park Kraken
Jul 5th, 2008, 12:38:54 AM
Bake some ketchup on the top layer of your meatloaf. Ketchup on properly seasoned freedrom fries is also particulary good. Mixing Ketchup, Miracle Whip, and Mustard together for hot dogs is also delicious.

Yog
Jul 5th, 2008, 03:03:02 AM
What a stupid 'controversy'! Everyone should know that ketchup and mustard is great together.

Samantha Koortyn
Jul 9th, 2008, 12:32:54 PM
Ketchup + Mayonnaise = Thousand Island dressing.

Also, very tasty.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 9th, 2008, 02:31:40 PM
Er isn't ketchup and mayo together just fry sauce? :p That may be oversimplifying the recipe, but fry sauce is teh yum. :yum <--see?

Anyway, why dip in plain catsup if you've got ranch dressing at hand? I confess I eat ranch with everything, just about. And why use ranch with your fries if you have... a CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKE? :yum!!

Park Kraken
Jul 9th, 2008, 02:41:00 PM
Reading about French Fries and Ranch just gave me a craving for those horribly fattening but every so tasty Checker's Seasoned Ranch Fries.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 9th, 2008, 04:35:44 PM
I don't think I've ever had ranch dressing. It must be an American thing.

Although I'm pleased that this thread has educated me on what Thousand Island dressing is!

Cat X
Jul 9th, 2008, 05:57:12 PM
Some of you people really do some damn odd things with tomato sauce.

Travis North
Jul 9th, 2008, 08:54:05 PM
Ketchup + Mayonnaise = Thousand Island dressing.
aka Mac Sauce.

I live in the Thousand Islands, and yes the dressing has its origins here. I say that everytime I mention where I'm from now because of that condiment, as people always ask "Like the dressing?"

I've never tried it on fries, but it sure is good on a sandwich. I'm with Wyl on topping fries though.

Gravy and cheese curds.
Poutine FTW.

Wyl Staedtler
Jul 10th, 2008, 03:03:13 PM
Hey Liz, could you pass me a serviette? I just spilt my poutine on the Chesterfield. :lol

:lol

Oh I totally have to find the video about Prime Minister Poutine now.

Kelly Perris
Jul 11th, 2008, 09:53:16 AM
Omigosh... I LOVE ranch dressing. Though, my tendancy is to mix ranch and mustard on my subs.:D

Jedieb
Jul 11th, 2008, 05:15:13 PM
Am I surprised there's "outrage" over this commercial in the US? No. I have good friends who won't let their kids watch Spongebob because they think he's an evil influence trying to lead their children to a gay "lifestyle." It's life, not a damn lifestyle choice.

And I hate ketchup. :shootin

Hartus Kenobi
Jul 20th, 2008, 06:49:54 AM
eh, it happens. But I don't really see anywhere it saying that the people who filed the complaints were Americans.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 20th, 2008, 09:05:23 AM
That's because they weren't? I never said that. The complaints were filed by 200 British people, because the ad was only shown on British TV.

What amused/confused me, as I said, was that American TV stations saw fit to cover the story, considering how small 200 complaints is.