PDA

View Full Version : There are worse things than Lonliness. Or so they say. (Novus)

Adelaide Kasperian-Kazaar
Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:14:46 PM
Time heals all things. It's always darkest before the dawn. Tomorrow is a new day.

If Adelaide had to choke down one more well-meaning platitude, she was gonna kill something. Violently.

Things will get better, you'll see.

But things weren't getting better, any idiot could see that. She had left Brentaal, and her home there three weeks ago, unable to stand the endless empty days and the even emptier, lonely nights.

Her home did not feel like home any more. Bren was gone. Kazaar was gone. Somehow her husband's leaving was even harder to bear as it had been his own choice. Her son had had no such option, death was a bitch that way. Adelaide knew, if he could, Bren would have stayed with her. Aurelias, however, had specifically chosen not to - preferring to seek comfort and solace elsewhere, probably in the arms of his younger and more deserving partner. Not even their shared past, the passions of a decade before or the fact they had produced a child had held any influence on him. In fact, in spite of these things, he had chosen not to stay.

At first, Adelaide had felt it had been as hard for Kazaar to walk away as it had been for her to watch him go. He'd left her to cope on her own with their son's passing as best she could. But that perspective had changed over the following weeks, the heartbreaking sadness had morphed into bitterness, overwhelming her thoughts with dark and destructive reasonings and she couldn't shake the conclusion that it had been so easy for him.

She didn't leave the house for days - exausted by her greif and lacking any purpose to do so. Then came the condolences and sympathies of friends and acquaintances - the understanding looks, the gentle pating on her hands of anyone she happened to encounter on the rare times she mustered the will and ventured out to get...whatever.

But she was determined to put that behind her, and it was the sole purpose in her coming to Ord Mantell. The hollow in her gut that had started as a gaping wound at Bren's death had expanded. It had become a black hole that, like a voracious parasite, was eating relentlessly at her body, mind and soul. Adelaide wasn't quite sure if she was going to find something to fill it, or if she was simply here to out-run it. Either way, in this Mid-rim planet known for its more seedier side, she was hoping to find some sense of surcese.

Entering "The Jewelled Ithorian" - a bar named in tribute to the whole jewel theme of the planet cluster, and of the owner's own sense of whimsy, Adelaide caught her reflection in the partion glass and had trouble recognising herself. She was gaunt, her skin was sallow and her hair had never looked so dull. Her clothes hung loosely on her body and she had dark rings beneath her eyes. She didn't really care, and moving forward, found herself an empty booth.

Novus Kota
Jun 24th, 2008, 12:25:52 AM
Out behind the Jewelled Ithorian, five figures stood in a dimly lit alley. Two facing each other, both human and the other three stood at different angles behind the fellow in the center. A Rodian, Weequay, and a Twi'lek.<o>

</o> The taller human, clad in a worn leather jacket was very animated in the way he talked to the smaller more timid man who kept his hands together, yet fidgeted with his fingers as they clasped against the other set. " What made you think you could just dig right into my stash without ever asking me Trig?" Novus asked in a threatening manner as he leaned in closer to the other man's face.<o>

</o> "I...I dunno boss....I figured since everyone else was using it ya know?" The scared man stammered out. Obviously afraid for his life at angering his so called employer. The thing was, the dope was there for his "guests" to use. And Trig was not a guest that night.<o></o>
<o></o>
"You figured." Novus repeated as Trig nodded quickly. Seconds went by as Novus stared directly into Trig's eyes. Then like a flash of lightning across a stormy Kamino sky, Novus drew his custom made gun from within his jacket. "Well, you figured wrong." Trig gasped, then dropped to his rump onto the Ferro Crete ground holding his hand up in defense. A defense that would surely fail as there were two suns over Tatooine. "Nononono!" Trig said in desperation.<o></o>
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
Novus held back on pulling the trigger. "You stole from me Trig. You of all people should know frackin' better than that." Bringing the gun back up, Novus slowly pulled the trigger. "I'll pay you back! I promise!...please don't kill me." Trig begged shamelessly. Pathetic Schutta.<o></o>
Novus narrowed his eyes a bit. This could turn out good. Trig were a lot of things, but he had a knack for scrounging up choice things. "Fine, you bring me ten thousand in two days and I'll consider it paid." Trig's eyes widened. "Five thousand in two days???" Novus went to turn away and stopped. Seeming to think about it as he holstered his sidearm. "No, no...you're right. Two days is not enough time." Trig began to look relieved. "Make it three." Trig again dropped his jaws open. "Three?!" The three other thugs began laughing as they left the kneeling coward behind.<o></o>
Novus turned to look back as he kept walking for the back door to the Jewelled Ithorian. Pointing at Trig he gave him his only warning about the deal just made. "Three days, or I finish what I started a few seconds ago and blow your head off your body."<o></o>
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o></o>
-------------------- Inside the Jewelled Ithorian -------------------------<o></o>
The thugs took a different turn and headed for the back area to the room with the holodancers. Novus headed to the bar for a drink. Part of him couldn't wait to see what Trig would manage to dig up. And the other part of him wished he had painted the back alley wall with his blood. Sometimes it was tough being the head of one of the crime rings in the area. The business was mostly illegal substances. Drugs, of many flavors from all over. He had a nice operation going, not too big and not too small either. Just enough to make him rich, and just enough to keep him under the radar...for now.<o></o>
As he took his drink in hand, something or rather someone caught his eye. Not one of the dolled up females who frequented the place, but someone who was not part of it. This woman stuck out like a wookie at an ewok gathering. <o></o>
There was something that gravitated him towards her. Something he could not pin point. Maybe there was something deep down in him that was indeed decent and good. Then again, Novus thought, it could be that she was new and had absolutely no idea what he was about. And that made it a tad bit more alluring for him. After all, he was an opportunist.<o></o>
As he walked over, she seemed so preoccupied. Looked like she hadn't slept in days. Bad break up? Maybe. Or just maybe she was a junkie strung out and needing that "fix". Frell, he could and would help her if that were what she needed. Stopping at the side of her table, Novus decided to play "gentleman" just to test the waters so to speak.<o></o>
"Excuse me, all the tables are taken. And I see you have a seat you could share." Novus spoke in a soft and sincere manner. "Would you mind if I kept you company while I had my drink?"<o></o>

Jun 24th, 2008, 12:57:34 PM
"Whatever you like" Adelaide replied, not even looking up at who had asked.

He wasn't the waiter, so she had no real interest in anything he had to say. What she needed was a drink, and tonights service was slow. She'd ordered her double-shot over ice Solar Flare five minutes ago.

She felt, rather than saw, the newcomer slide into the booth across from her, her eyes bent towards her hands. Adelaide's body language was significant to her inner thoughts - introspective and self-absorbed.

Finally, a glass was set in front of her, and at last she lifted her head. Novus was watching her intently, sitting so quietly she had almost forgotten he was there.

Adelaide picked up her glass and drank three-quarters of it down, with no real acknowledgment of the man sitting opposite her.

Novus Kota
Jun 25th, 2008, 12:52:26 AM
Fingers kept wrapped around the glass as it sat upon the tabletop. Free hand hovered above the drink, fingertip slowly tracing the rim as he kept his eyes on the woman across from him. Novus studied her for a while, not saying a word but openly stared at her. She did not talk, kept her eyes away from his. But clearly she was not the latter of what he had thought. This was no junkie on the spiral downward needing a fix. No, this was someone who had been deeply hurt. Struck to her very core.

The server droid delivered her drink and Novus stopped it with a raised finger. The one that had been tracing circles around his glass' rim. "Bring an order of grilled meat, the finest section as well as some steamed vegetables." The metallic voice sounded a pleasant. [[Yes, Mr. Kota.]], then wheeled off to get it.

Going back to studying his at the moment companion, the crime lord decided to handle this with careful hands. "My name is Novus Kota, and I'm willing to listen if you've got a story to tell." Well, that's about as kid gloves as Novus was going to get. He wasn't much for dancing about to get to the core of things. And the accompanying grin he showed might bring her about.

The server dropped the platter of aromatic meats and freshly steamed veggies of a variety of colors. Taking a piece of meat, Novus nudged the plate towards her and gestured with his free hand that she was more than welcome to partake in the meal.

Jun 25th, 2008, 01:29:38 PM
A dull look was her only response to the offer. Adelaide had come to Ord Mantell to get away from 'her story'. Last thing she wanted was to help it follow her here in a full technicolor narative to this guy.

No, she didn't want to share her story. And no, she didnt want any vegetables, thank you very frackin' much. But she didn't particularly want to be completely alone again tonight either, and chatty cathy across from her was as good a company as anything she supposed.

"My name's Del" she said after a while, "Del Kasperian." She couldn't bring herself to add the -Kazaar part, though in her psyche her name would never be complete without it.

And that was another thing...she'd better sign those frellin' papers one of these days. That outta make Aurelias happy..If Novus had caught the bitter smile the thought had brought to the surface, he ignored it and simply popped a bright red pepper into his mouth.

"Im new in town" she said bluntly, "Thats my story"

Novus Kota
Jun 25th, 2008, 11:45:02 PM
"My name's Del." She finally answered as Novus nodded slowly in response. "Del Kasperian."

'Pretty name' He thought to himself. Novus kept quiet as he chewed on the bite he had placed in his mouth not more than a few seconds before she spoke. Novus watched her closely. Although he was trying to make coversation, she was definitely not interested in doing so. If her body language wasn't enough for him, the tone in her voice made it clear.

As Novus chewed yet another tasty morsel from the platter, he saw the reaction she showed in response to what ever she had just thought of that very second. But something told him to not push her and let it be at that. Might as well allow her to talk on her own. Since he was not doing so well in getting any words from her.

"I'm new in town....That's my story."

'Nice' He thought to himself once more. No non-sense. Straight forward, and to the point. Take a new approach he thought. Leaning back in the seat, Novus toyed with his glass with his left hand. "I apologize if I got too personal with the question." Taking a sip from his drink, Novus placed the water beaded glass back on the table. " I'm fine with also sitting here in silence if that is what you wish Del."

Jun 26th, 2008, 01:16:24 PM
Adelaide shrugged, there was no need for an apology, though his kindness was appreciated. She signalled to the server with a circling finger to bring another round and made an effort to be at least partly engaging.

"You seem like you enjoy talking, why dont you tell me about yourself, and how come you got nothin better to do than "just sit" with some stranger, Mr. Kota"

Novus Kota
Jun 27th, 2008, 12:19:14 AM
'Mr. Kota' Well, well she had been listening to say the least. And listening was a good thing, especially when it came to Novus. A smirk showed as he picked his glass up to drink. "Seems so only because I'm trying to get you to talk." Taking a sip, Novus placed the glass back down. And his smirk turned to a smile. " Maybe I'm trying a little too hard?"

"Well, I am a resident here of course. But originally grew up on Coruscant. Lived here for the last oh ten years. I'm a business man who's company manufactures pharmaceuticals." That was a cover up he and his soon to be ex-partner Ranxer was coming up with. Manufacture the drugs and distribute them through a fake medical company.

Novus went quiet as he thought of how to answer her question of why he had chosen to take this un-given challenge. Why did he? There was indeed something about her and the situation that was something he just couldn't let pass him.

" I guess being a business man, I ...." Novus laughed a bit. "..I'm gonna sound full of myself, but I can read people. Pretty good at being a judge of character when I first see someone or meet someone face to face." Novus began to draw invisible shapes on the table top. " I saw you and knew you could use a friend....a new friend." He added with a smile.

Jun 27th, 2008, 09:38:59 AM
"You're right -- you do sound full of yourself"

It was cold, she knew it. And she didn't really know why she was being so hard, except for the fact that it felt good to dish back onto someone else a little of the bile that had been swilling around inside her for weeks. Kota was underserving, and the flicker of guilt she felt at being this way was drowned in the momentary feeling of empowerment at taking the advantage over someone else. The problem with momentary, though, was that it only lasted about just that long.

Novus just looked at her, and she felt the weight of his gaze and the need to avoid it. Her second drink arrived in time to save her, and Adelaide reached for it quickly.

She couldn't bring herself to apologize for her rudeness. She was tired of being the one who had to give. Her insides had been kicked around for months - the events leading up to Bren's death, that frelling Albino putting them all through hell and back, the reawakening of her desire to be back with Aurelias - to see him again and be so close - and the damn man walking away from her at such an awful time. She was tired of having her guts wrung in knots every waking moment and Novus had made himself an easy target. She couldn't worry about what he might feel, or think. She was past looking out for anyone but herself right now.

Her smile was almost cruel, "Still wanna be my new friend?"

Novus Kota
Jul 16th, 2008, 07:06:24 PM
Novus could see the reaction she gave him, frell any of those reactions to him was not her real self. Being in the dark and cruel business he was in, one learned very quickly you had to look passed the outer masks and passed the deeper layers to see the true face of the people you had to deal with. No, this hard and snippy shell she had on was only defensive. And by the looks of it, Del was a first time at this stage of inner pain.

At her question, Novus only smiled and set his glass upon the table top. " Would be nice."

Crossing his arms on the table, novus leaned slightly forward and looked into her eyes. A lot deeper than she probably would have been comfortable with, but Novus wanted passed the blockade. Into the layers of her "self". And he got what he was searching for. That confirmation of what he suspected. Averting his eyes downward towards the tabletop, Novus gently smiled and let out a sigh. " Whoever it was....." Novus began and stopped. And after a few seconds continued. "...... they hurt you prety bad didn't they?"

Now his eyes once again looked back up at her own.

Jul 21st, 2008, 04:36:04 PM
Damn him.

Adelaide felt a wave of emotion rise up and threaten to breach the hard facade she was holding in place, so she stared deliberately into her glass. Kotas' sympathy and kind words could be her undoing if she let it. And there was no frellin' way she was gonna allow that. She would not be soft, touchable. She just couldn't. That road would just lead her back down to grief and loss. To Bren and Aurelias. It lead to who she really was. No, who she had been, Del reminded herself, and she didn't want to be that person any more.

It took some kind of will power, fed by her bitterness that enabled her to reinforce the barrier and, after long minutes, she met Kota's stare.

"They did" she replied, as if it really didn't matter, "So I decided any new friends I make will at least be useful for something"

She lifted her glass, looking at him over its rim, "So, what would you be useful for?"

Novus Kota
Jul 23rd, 2008, 12:25:09 AM
Novus could see the weakness coming to the surface. He was indeed right about her, about what he had touched hidden behind her eyes. And was glad at the way she took it and threw it back down. Not giving in to the weakness that could eat her alive. This one was definitely strong in mind and spirit. The heart on the other side of things could be tempered with careful skill. Given the chance, this woman could prove worthy of many things.

"They did" she replied, as if it really didn't matter. Novus slowly nodded his head and responded with a soft "Mmh."

"So I decided any new friends I make will at least be useful for something" Novus had to grin at those words spoken by the broken angel. Everyone was good for one thing or another, Novus understood this well.

She lifted her glass, looking at him over its rim, "So, what would you be useful for?"

Novus sat back and smirked. "Well now, Del."

Novus said with an emphasis upon her name. "I am good for many things, as I am sure you will come to see." Dropping a few credits on the table, Novus stood up with an out stretched arm. An open hand offered for her to take should she choose to do so. "For starters I'm good for getting us out of this depressing dump and onto more adventurous things. Anything you ever wanted to do. Frell, we could even break a few laws as well." Novus said with a wider smile.

And noticing the look on her face, Novus leaned in and put the finishing touch. "C'mon Del...." He spoke softer and only for her to hear. ".... Time to shuck whoever hurt you and spit back in their face. No strings attached. Whaddaya say?" Novus let that playful smirk appear on his lips. Enticing her to go.

Jul 27th, 2008, 03:47:57 PM
His smile was designed to disarm, and Adelaide had no doubts that it always got him the desired result, and then some. Kota worked his scoundrel charm like an expert, making a girls alarm bells go off while at the same instant rendering her unwilling to resist them. It was a deadly combo Adelaide knew well. Kazaar's image flooded her mind unbidden, that dangerous smirk he'd used on her the first time they'd met at Gorgja's palace, and the way she'd abandoned good sense, embracing the risks of being with him and changing her life for ever.

It was a knee-jerk reaction, her standing and clasping Kota's hand in acceptance of his offer. Anything to disolve the memory. Her sudden movement surprising him a little. She gave no nervous smile, or coy look like she had at Gorgja's all those years before. This time Del stepped in, both eyes open, empty of their former naivety.

"Fine, let's get out of here" she said brusquely, "Take me some place that makes me forget."

Novus Kota
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:26:47 AM
"Take me some place that makes me forget."

Those words played in Novus's head over and over. Some place that makes her forget. Taking a glance at his passenger as they sped along, Novus had an idea. The perfect place where one who harbored enough hurt, and some kind of hate within could very much enjoy themselves as well as get the forgetting on its way.<o>

</o> Taking the immediate left, Novus piloted his speeder towards the eastern side of the city. The area in town where all kinds of gambling and challenges could be had at all hours of the night. From casinos, to cage matches, to speeder races. But none of them seemed to be what Novus had been thinking of. No, the place he had been thinking of was The Rancor's Den. An establishment that treats its spectators to pit fighting. The fights ranged from exotic predators, to gladiatorial matches.<o>
</o><o></o>
As they arrived, there was a sign that read “Tag team boxing tonight!” on an electronic scroll. As they passed the sign and made their way to the entrance, Novus glanced at her. “Tag team boxing….could prove interesting.” Deep down, Novus could feel this would be the start of a greater night than he had expected. He could only hope Del would find it the same as well. <o>
</o><o></o>
The music was loud, but not overpowering like that of a dance club. Now the announcer’s voice in the makeshift ring smack dab in the middle of the room could be considered overpowering. Issuing challenges to the patrons in the establishment, enticing them with the prize money should they win. Placing a hand upon her lower back, Novus ushered Del towards a table and got them settled in. After ordering his “Crimson Sithlord” with the Twi’lek server, Novus smiled across the table to Adelaide. “I do believe this will be a good place for starters for having some fun.”

Sep 8th, 2008, 07:27:04 PM
Adelaide shrugged. Whatever. And slumped into her seat.

Fun was something she didn't even feel she could remember, didn't feel she could even stomach. The very word conjured up frivolous excesses and self-indulgences that were pointless and wasteful in the world where she now lived.

Kota was smiling at her.

Fun? For frell's sake. Adelaide wanted to scream. Instead, she ordered a drink, some firewater thing, and looked around her. The atmosphere, atleast, suited her mood - edgy and a little manic.

"You been to these fights before?" she asked Novus, attempting to break the sourness of her own demeanor and not quite achieving it.

Novus Kota
Sep 13th, 2008, 09:56:35 PM
"You been to these fights before?" she asked Novus, attempting to break the sourness of her own demeanor and not quite achieving it.

This was going to prove interesting to say the least. Del's attitude was just perfect for this adventurous turn Novus had taken. The rising drug lord had never really gotten into these pit fighting arenas. Swoop racing was more to his taste in spectating and gambling. But tonight, he was in the mood to hit something. Especially after the little problem with Trig. Normally Novus would have shot the idiot and be done with it. But in very rare fashion, had let the weasel live to pay him back for what Novus had deemed "stolen" from him. So that being, he had some pent up energy to release.

The drinks were placed before them, and Novus reached for his. Pursing his lips in quick thought, he answered Del's question. "No, first time for me. I usually hit the swoop races."

Taking a sip of his drink, Novus glanced at the ring in the center of the room. The announcer was again issuing the challenge to any couple out in the seats. Couples? Now it was getting better. Looking back at Del, Novus yet again smirked. Only this time it was more a mischievous one than the last few he had given her. Standing up, Novus tanked his drink in one gulp and semi slammed his glass on the table top. Raising his hand, Novus shouted back at the announcer. "Challenge accepted!" And the crowd erupted in a roar of encouraging applause.

Sep 20th, 2008, 06:07:55 PM
"What?"

Wait, what? Adelaide shrank back in disbelief and something just short of horror. Kota didn't just volunteer her to fight, for fracks sake, did he?

The roar of those around her, eager for some action and lusting for some entertainment that might just end in blood and spit-teeth was shocking to her senses. Del looked around for an escape, suddenly scared stupid.

A warm, firm hand folded around her own, Novus was grinning at her and his eyes were dancing somehow, "C'mon, I'm with ya."

The touch felt like a charge, his own confidence somehow wrapped around her, insulated her somehow, so that she barely noticed the other hands, paws and stubbs that were jostling and pushing her up out of her seat. Wait.

Before she knew it, she was on her feet, wending her way behind Kota through the tables, bodies parting before them to allow them access to the ring.

What the heck was she doing? thinking? Wait!

Adelaide felt disembodied from herself, half-mesmerized by the blinding overhead light that blazed down onto center-ring as she stood on the inside of the barrier. A pair of Gran's were clambering onto the other side of the roped area. Surreal.

The noise was deafeaning. She scanned the crowd, money was changing hands, faces turned upwards to look at her, at them, laughing, pointing, Kota playing to the crowd, having the time of his life.

A buzzer sounded and someone pushed her forward. She tried to turn and run, but strong hands had grabbed the back of her jacket.

Wait!!

"Oh no"

Kota was grinning still.

If she survived this, by some frelling miracle, she would surely kill that smirking scum-schutta-lowlife-nerf-skralt-son-of-a--THUMP!

Novus Kota
Sep 25th, 2008, 04:38:26 PM
Upon the canvased surface of the ring, Novus played to the crowd. Slowly turning in a circle with his arms out as if saying 'Here we are...your entertainment!'. Watching the look on Del's face was great. She appeared both afraid and excited. Though fear for the most part was really showing through.

Their opponents, two Grans climbed up on the squared circle and entered through the ropes. By the looks of them, Novus guessed at the slightly smaller one being the female. But who knew when it came to the alien lifeforms of this galaxy. Unless you were an expert, you would know as much as Novus himself.

A buzzer sounded to begin the match, and Novus pushed her forward to the advancing female Gran. "Del! Go for one of the eye stalks!" Novus yelled to her as he watched the larger of the Grans move towards him. But instead of listening, Del stared at him. A look he knew as if she survived this, which she would, Del would definitely try to kick the snot out of him.

"Del behind y..." Novus tried to warn her as the advancing Gran grabbed her by the jacket and swung in a clubbing way at her back sending Del to the mat. Novus grimaced and ran a hand across his face. Crouching down from behind the ropes, Novus coached her. "Del....Del! Get up and beat that three eyed freak! C'mon babe, you're strong.... imagine them to be the schutta that hurt you. And once you've got all that anger out, tag me in and let's enjoy ourselves like we should."

The Gran was already on top of her when Novus stood up and put his hand out to get the alien's attention. "Whoa! Whoa!" The Gran stopped and looked at him. Novus pointed to their partner across the ring. "Your friend." Was all Novus said to get the stupid creature to turn and look. And with no second thought, threw a right cross to the alien's head and sent them stumbling the other way.

The crowd went nuts with that shot. The other Gran was starting to duck through the ropes when the referee stopped it and began a shouting match. Good, that gave Del time. "C'mon Del, just like I did. Kick that Gran's A..." WHUMP! The Gran had ran back so fast that Novus didn't see them and caught a punch that sent him off the ring to the floor below. Shaking the cobwebs from his vision, Novus began to laugh out loud. Now THIS was starting to get good. Slowly getting to his feet, Novus rubbed his cheek and climbed back up.

Sep 28th, 2008, 12:52:43 PM
Adelaide knew Kota was yelling something to her, but all her attention was taken up with trying to escape. She was, quite literally, crawling across the canvas floor in an effort to get away.

Another Gran came staggering back over her having collected a punch from Novus, which seemed to rile up everyone including the fighters, the referee and the crowd. Adelaide crawled faster.

Her opponent grabbed onto one of her feet, and Del was forced to twist over in an attempt to kick her off. One, two, three, and still the Gran held her ankle in her grip. Adelaide changed strategy and started kicking at the Gran's face and body instead. This gave some results, and caused the crowd to cheer. One, last well-placed kick and the Gran let go, falling back with a groan. Del was free! And close enough to tag Kota's hand that he held stretched out to her as far as he possibly could. The faintest brush of her fingers against his, and like a rocket, Novus launched himself into the fray.

Novus Kota
Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:38:53 PM
Novus rushed in and had to almost stutter-step himself to a stop before the Gran who was busy shaking the cobwebs out of her head from Del's final well placed kick to the face. With his right fist cocked and ready, Novus reached out with his left hand and gripped the Gran's shoulder. Before the Gran could regain it's composure, Novus landed his clenched fingers square on the Gran's nose. Arms flailing out, the alien staggered back with each blow Novus dealt it. One....Two...Three... Four... The crowd counted along with each successive punch. The sixth punch sent the Gran reeling towards it's partner who was tagged in. That sent the crowd into a frenzy.

The fresh Gran made his way into the ring and Novus stood waiting, ready. But sometimes being ready isn't enough. For when the Gran reached Novus's strike distance, it dodged a punch Novus sent towards it. And using it's momentum, closed the gap between himself and Novus. Capturing Novus in a bear hug, the Gran lifted the human up and squeezed for a submission. Novus's eyes widened at the strength of the alien as well as trying to catch his breath. Novus tried punching the Gran, that didn't work. Then he landed two blows with his elbow, and that as well did not work.

And as the hold began to work, weakening Novus due to lack of oxygen, Kota grabbed the Gran by the first and third eye-stalk and squeezed. As the alien wailed, Novus delivered a head-butt which dropped the alien to it's rump. Novus fared the same as he collapsed onto his side. Deep breaths and a coughing fit came fast as Novus shook out his own cobwebs.

Looking around, trying to gain his bearing, Novus heard the crowd screaming. Wanting for him to get up and get back in it. Begging for the team who had captured their interest to win. Rolling onto his stomach, Novus glanced at the Gran slowly rolling to it's side. It seemed to have fallen over, dazed from his ruthless attack to break the hold. Slowly Novus got to his feet and began to shake off the effects of the bear hug, but the Gran was in a great deal of hurt from what Novus dealt him.

Moving to where his partner stood, Novus tagged her in. "I softened him up for you..." Novus said between labored breaths. ".... the eye-stalk...." Novus explained. " Grab it as I did and punch and kick with all you got. And if he starts to get the better of you, wave your arm and I'll come in and we can gang up on him."

Nov 15th, 2008, 02:56:20 PM
"Im not going back in there" she said, eyes wide and a little bugged. Kota grimaced a little, not her most flattering look.

"You got'to, I tagged you" he replied.

"Oh, you tagged me" - As if that meant anything to her. "I dont care if you clubbed me over the head with a mallet, Im not going back in there"

Clearly, by the man's expression, he wasn't comprehending what she'd said, and so Adelaide, to help his understanding, bent to slip under the rope in order to exit the ring. The crowd around her protested at once, shouting and shaking their fists, brandishing tankards of ale and even weapons in demonstration of their disapproval, causing Adelaide to hesitate. Kota bent down to repeat softly, even a little apoligetically, "You got'to, I tagged you."

Del slowly straightened, regarding her choices. The Gran or the mob and neither one appealed. "Im gonna kill you for this" she promised Novus and turned back to face the Gran.

"The eye stalk" Kota called after her, "go for the eye stalk"

The enormous alien stood where he was and waited as Del approached, a sneer on his lips. He could squash this human like a roach. For a moment, the pair stood toe to toe, Adelaide tipping her head to look up, the Gran bending his eyestalks to look down. "Life sucks anyway" she consoled herself as she prepared to make a punch, "may as well go down swinging."

The Gran allowed her to land two solid punches, but on the third wind-up, he caught her by the wrist and threw a punch himself, hitting her forcefully in the ribs, making an audible crack. The blow bent her double and as her opponent released his grip, Adelaide sank painfully to the floor. A kick from the Gran caught her in her lower back, and she couldn't stop the cry escaping her lips. The crowd noise simmered into a subdued hush and then rose up almost immediately into jeers and boo's at the anticlimactic finish.

Dully aware of the racket around her, Adelaide rolled herself over to the boundry of the arena and dropped herself ignobly off the edge of the dias.