PDA

View Full Version : Everyone's a Critic 2008

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:52:21 AM
Well, its true, everyone is a critic. So here's your chance to recommend movies to everyone else!

This is different than talking about a movie in that movies own thread, as the point here is to be as short and sweet as possible. Here's the format:

The Incredible Hulk - See it!
The Happening - Skip it!
Don't Mess With the Zohan - Rent it!

All movies should be rated one of these three - see, skip, or rent. 'Rent' does not need to be used for all movies no longer in theatres. You may include ONE sentence describing the movie as you saw it.

The Happening - Skip it!
WORST MOVIE EVER
The only condition is that you have actually seen the movies you post in this thread, and that they are all movies from 2008. Please limit yourself to one (1) post, and edit it as you see more movies.

Comments in this thread. (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18253)

Have fun!

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:54:08 AM
The Dark Knight- Run to see it. Easily the best movie of the year

Wall-E: see it, the second best movie of the year

Iron Man- See it

Prince Caspian See it

Indiana Jones See it

The Incredible Hulk- See it

Wall-E Definitely see it

Cloverfield- Rent it

Spiderwick Chronicles- rent it

The Bucket List Rent it (Great movie)

Jumper- skip it

10,000 BC- skip it

Vantage Point- Rent it

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:55:35 AM
Sex And The City - skip it
too long, too happy

The Forbidden Kingdom - see it
Jackie Chan and Jet Li? why *wouldn't* you see this?!

Hancock - rent it
some laughs, weighed down by a jumbled storyline

Kung Fu Panda - see it
funny and very easy on the eyes

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 22nd, 2008, 12:04:47 PM
Cloverfield - See it!!
Terrifying, terrific... shakey cam and all I loved this movie

The Dark Knight - SEE IT!!!!!!believe the hype!

The Forbidden Kingdom - See it
Tons of fun - didn't know what to expect and it was great!

The Incredible Hulk - See it
HULK SMASH!

Hancock - Rent it
Enjoyable... a different take on superheroism that moves towards oddness at the end. Still, it is a fairly good movie.

Iron Man - See it
Incredible storytelling with great characters

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - See it
It may be hokey but its our kind of hokey

Journey to the Center of the Earth 3-D - Rent it
Whatever you do, don't see it if it isn't in 3-D the effects are awesome and the movie is entertaining

Kung Fu Panda - See it
all the jokes belong in the movie, not referencing pop culture!

Prince Caspian - See it
great movie, see it if only for the parkour fauns

Wall-E - See it
I loved it, its such a sweet little cautionary tale

Wanted - Rent it
Not a bad movie, not a standout film either - it is a fairly original concept which is refreshing!

Miranda Tarkin
Jun 22nd, 2008, 12:48:19 PM
The Incredible Hulk
See it! Hulk Smash indeed!

Iron Man
Set it! Just a powerful movie overall. Great character development, wonderful action and comedy scenes, and it's so pretty!

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Skip it! I enjoyed parts of it but the ending (not the very end) killed it for me >_<

Get Smart
See it! It was over the top at the end, but it's Maxwell Smart! Of course it's going to be! :D I really liked the chemistry between Anne and Steve. Since I loved the show, I was very pleased with it.

The Strangers
Skip it. Unless you want to watch typical unmotivated characters caused mischief and pain to our main characters. I realize that was the point of the movie (it's told at the start of it) but it could have been done better

Rutabaga
Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:44:28 PM
Hey, this is how they rate movies on Ebert and Roper now! ;)

Iron Man - See it!
Robert Downey Jr. is a stud

Speed Racer - Skip it!
Good eye candy and very nostalgic, but dull and WAY TOO LONG

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - See it!
Not quite as good as the first one, but still a really enjoyable fantasy movie

Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - See it!
Not perfect, but highly entertaining and lots and lots of fun

The Incredible Hulk - See it!
Surprisingly good and made by people who love the Hulk

Kung Fu Panda - Unable to rate
My experience was completely ruined by an out of control child and her parents who did basically nothing to intervene

WALL-E - See it!
One of Pixar's best ever, and a lock for the Best Animated Film Oscar next year...surprisingly emotional and adult for a kid's movie

Hancock - Skip it!
Brilliant idea, terrible execution, easily the worst movie of the summer (yes, even worse than Speed Racer)

Vantage Point - Rent it!
A good cast and interesting twists and turns to the storytelling make this a worthy rental

Journey to the Center of the Earth - Rent it!
An average, perfectly acceptable kids' adventure movie, not great, but you could definitely do worse

The Ruins - Skip it!
Decently creepy novel becomes generic cruddy Hollywood horror flick with nothing to recommend it

The Dark Knight - See it!
One of the best superhero movies ever made...brooding, intense, disturbing at points, and overall brilliant

Be Kind Rewind - Skip it!
Definitely has amusing moments and a storyline that's a little more serious than the ads and trailers suggested, but it's still not enough to recommend it

Hellboy II: The Golden Army - See it!
Not quite as good as the first, but still really entertaining and amusing, well worth seeing if you liked the first one

Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay - Skip it!
Total bummer, dude...not nearly as good as the first one

The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor - Rent it!
The weakest (by far) of the 3 movies in the series, the Yeti are extremely silly and I missed Rachel Weisz, but overall it still has some entertainment value

Adding movies I saw earlier this year:

Cloverfield - See it!
The Godzilla freak in me LOVED this movie, absolutely LOVED it

Horton Hears A Who - Rent it!
Nicely done animated version of the Seuss classic

The Other Boleyn Girl - Rent it!
Wildly truncated Cliff Notes version of history, but still entertaining and worth seeing

Sanis Prent
Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:50:30 PM
Iron Man - See it!
Substance abusing jerk Robert Downey Jr playing substance abusing jerk Tony Stark

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - See it!
Indy vs Commies is at least as good as the other indy sequels

WALL-E - See it!
An endearing and cute film from Pixar as usual, but with a worldly and slightly cynical slant for the big kids.

Jaime Tomahawk
Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:56:51 PM
Iron Man - See it!
(Now Third) Best movie of the winter, full stop

Indiana Jones and umm..... wait this makes no sense - MISS IT
This movie insults your intelligence and then kicks it in the nuts.

Kung Fu Panda - Rent it
Ehhhh..... not bad. Kids will love it. Adults not so much

The Forbidden Kingdom - Rent it a lot
Fun with Jackie Chan and Jet Li

Wall-E - SEE IT NOW
Even better than Iron Man or dark Knight, a robot with true soul that WILL steal and break your heart

Hancock - Skip it
Interesting idea gutted by stupid plot twist and becomes a steaming dump. Believe the griping, this one sucks

The Dark Knight - See it
Chilling, moody, this is not a superhero movie. It's gangster / detective movie that explodes on screen.

Atreyu
Jun 23rd, 2008, 01:58:25 AM
Iron Man - See it!
Best movie of the year so far. Simply fantastic

Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Rent it!
Indy fans will enjoy it, but the storyline meanders and you'll be left wondering why it took them 19 years to end up with this.

Kung Fu Panda - See it!
Hilarious - I loved this film.

RECENT UPDATE:

Hancock - Rent it!
Don't quite get ball the griping about this film. It's not perfect, but I still found it enjoyable and quite funny.

Yog
Jun 27th, 2008, 04:17:59 AM
Iron Man - See it! (5/5)
Arguably one of, if not the best in the comics / superhero genre. Awesome action, great story, great characters - highly recommended.

Wall-E - See it! (4.5/5)
The most technically impressive Pixar movie so far. Wall-E has more personality than some live actor characters. Guaranteed Oscar winner.

Kung Fu Panda - See it! (4/5)
Brilliant visual editing, fun characters and story, terrific slapstick humor, and a true delight from start to the end. Finally a Dreamworks production on level with Pixar.

Forbidden Kingdom - See it! (4/5)
Entertaining and humorous Kung Fu fairy tale with Jackie Chan and Jet Li.

--------------

John Rambo - Rent it! (3.5/5)
Outrageously violent and ridiculous, yet high seat tilt factor. On par with First Blood and much better than II and III.

Indiana Jones 4 - Rent it! (3.5/5)
Fun and better than Temple of Doom. The OTT CGI action sequences and Lucas script is a downside though.

Cloverfield - Rent it! (3.5/5)
Exciting and experimental. The shaky cam, non believable plot + so so acting makes it a rental, however.

The Incredible Hulk - Rent it! (3.5/5)
Hulk smash! Norton plays the role well and it is entertaining as an action movie.

Stop-Loss - Rent it! (3/5)
Stellar performance by the cast. A moving dramatization of an important subject. Although, it tries too many things at once.

21 - Rent it! (3/5)
It's based on true events, and the subject is interesting. Unfortunately it's only loosely based on what happened.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - Rent it! (3/5)
Definitely not my genre, but it was pretty funny.

--------------

Prince Caspian - Skip it! (2.5/5)
Nice visuals and production qualites, but mainly for the fans. Artificial acting and rushed plot points. The story is almost filler material between CGI shots. Jumping from one epic battle to another without believable incentive. Gets better near the end though, and plus for Aslan.

The Happening - Skip it! (2/5)
Hard to create suspense with nonsensical plot and shallow acting. The cinematography and editing is good, but it's a shadow of Shyamalan's former glory.

The Ruins - Skip it! (2/5)
Avoiding the worst horror cliches, but it's mediocre. Dubious plot device. Characters act irrational getting themselves killed.

Sex and the City - Skip it! (2/5)
Look, I don't watch these series, but it's somehow better on TV. It's not horrible, and there are some funny moments. But it's fairly dull and predictable, and feels too long.

Speed Racer - Skip it! (1/5)
All flash and no substance. Visual candy and action can't save this mess from being an insult to mind and senses. Hard to watch from start to end. How can a racing movie be so ridiculous? Give me an aspirin!

10,000 BC - Skip it! (1/5)
$75M of cringe worthy awful. CGI and hilarious (bad) acting turns quickly into a snooze. Did Uwe Boll direct this?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 27th, 2008, 06:23:21 PM
*ahem* One post each, no commentary. :p I'll start a commentary thread.

Flux
Jun 30th, 2008, 11:12:27 AM
Iron Man: See it!
Everything is perfect, from casting to script to dialogue.

Hulk: See it!
Every bit as good as Iron Man.

Wall-E: See it!
An entirely adorable movie that holds to Pixar's usual high standard for story and animation.

Prince Caspian: See it!
As good as the first.

Horton Hears a Who: Rent it.
It's fun, and Steve Carrell and Jim Carrey give it their usual best, but sitting through it a second time would be a chore.

Kung Fu Panda See it!
For the first time ever, Jack Black makes a performance that doesn't make me wish I were somewhere else.