PDA

View Full Version : This Heart's on Fire (complete)

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 09:13:34 AM
If Carlos Calaveras had been a poet, now would have been the time when he'd had written his most lyrical work. As it was, he couldn't tell a stanza from a sonnet, so had opted for a more basic but just as cathartic approach to dealing with his teen anxiety – punk rock.

Sitting out on the lawns that surrounded the Cullen Institute with a chunky pair of head phones clamped over his ears, Carlos was deaf to the world. He heard only the Buzzcocks and Pete Shelley snarling through 'Ever Fallen in Love?' With a frown, he hit the skip track button on his disc-man. The next song cued up, and he glanced down at the scrolling text on the CD display. It read:

The Darkness – Get Your Hands Off My Woman

Frustrated, he pushed the disc-man out of his lap. “The hell with this.”

Shrugging off the headphones, Carlos stumbled to his feet and out of the shadow of the tree he'd been sitting behind. He emerged from the shadow of the trunk and found himself immeadiately confronted with someone standing in his way.

“... Jacinda.”

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 09:29:31 AM
Jacinda was juggling a bag full of what appeared to be art supplies over one arm, and a giant quilted binder in her other arm. The plan had been to go find a quiet spot and work on the scrap book she was making, along with the help from some of the younger kids. Bits and pieces of projects she'd worked on with them, photos they'd taken and little write-ups on each of her kiddos and their exploits. It was a fair bit of work, but when it was done she hoped it would be the kind of thing that future generations of Cullen's kids looked back on and grinned 'Wow.. looks like they had fun that year.'

It was something to do anyways. She been about to plop down against the tree trunk when Carlos rounded the tree from the opposite side. At first she didn't know what to say, or do. Jacinda had been avoiding him since the big 'fall out', where she'd been accused of still being in love with Ethan 'The Jerk' Evans, keeping pictures of him hidden in her closet, and what was even more ridiculous - cheating! With him! On Carlos..

Yeah.. right.

Well, needless to say she'd been good and framed, and their relationship, which was one of the big things keeping her going this year, fell all apart.

Hurt poked at her ribs. "Carlos.. sorry. Didn't know this was your tree.", she hefted her binder up a notch then turned to leave, not wanting to get into a fight.

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 09:40:13 AM
Carlos was dumbstruck. Their mutual tactic of avoidance had been going on for weeks now, and this one of the first times that he had really seen Jacinda up-close since... well, the Ethan incident. He watched her walk away for a moment, feeling a confounding mixture of longing and self-righteous anger. No witty retort came to mind, so he settled for something far less impressive.

“It isn't,” he called, if only to have the last word. “I mean, I was just going anyway, you can have it.”

Right on cue, his bad luck aura kicked in – and a football hit Carlos in the gut.

“Ah!” he winced, clutching his stomach. “What the hell?!”

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 09:53:26 AM
She didn't even turn around to acknowledge his very benevolent gesture of passing on his tree to her. The heck with it! She'd just go to haunt the picnic tables, probably made more sense to have a tabletop to work on anyway. Jacinda was about to wave a dismissive gesture his way, along with a casual 'No thanks..' over her shoulder, when the sound of his grunt hit her ears.

Curious she turned to find Carlos doubled over and a football at his feet. For one whole second she thought it was poetic justice, but the truth was, she still adored him and seeing him in pain was not what she wanted.

She dropped her binder and her bag to the ground, going back to pick up the football. When Jacinda spotted the culprit kid who'd thrown it, she wrapped her fingers around the laces and narrowed her eyes.

"Hey! Watch it huh?" She threw it, her mutant abilities kicking in to speed the ball back, like a spiraling missile at the poor kid and right into his own gut.

Satisfied she nodded, dusted off her hands and went back for her things..

"You ok..?", she asked, not meeting his eyes.

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 10:03:21 AM
“Yeah, stupid kid.”

Carlos glared in the general direction that the football had come from. He was imaging that Ethan Evans whiter-than-white grin was behind the throwing arm. Dismissing the image, he looked back towards Jacinda. Though his stomach still ached, he tried to hide the irritation by straightened up, pushing his hands into his pockets.

“...you ok?”

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 10:14:05 AM
Ha-ha... No, I'm a wreck. Jacinda thought.

"Yeah, I'm just great..", She said, sarcasm very obvious in her tone.

She was not going to give Carlos the further satisfaction of knowing he could hurt her. Jacinda Blake was all done being the biggest fool of the year.. She'd finished picking up her binder and stuffing the supplies back into the bag.

There really wasn't anything else to say.

She'd like to clock him over the head with the binder and shout 'If I was going to cheat on you with Ethan, don't you think you'd have like...seen me with him or something, you jerk!' That would be defeating her not-fighting stance on the matter though..

"Well.. see ya..", she said, once more heading off..

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 10:23:55 AM
Seconds ticked by, and Carlos didn't move. Tiny tendrils of smoke curled up out of his pockets, and he quickly pulled his hands free, shaking off the singed threads that clung to his fingertips.

“Jas, wait!”

Unfortunately, he hadn't though much beyond that, but some words tumbled out anyway.

“Stop... talk to me.”

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 10:32:15 AM
Jacinda stopped in her tracks. She didn't turn around though, just held still while she tried to think of something suitably grand to say. Something witty? Something epic? Ahhh.. the hell with it.

She turned around, obviously being cautious, but open minded because it was Carlos she was talking to. Deep down, she knew that he was just as much a victim of this big set-up as she had been, she just wished he would see that too.

"Alright.. What did you want to talk about?"

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 10:38:52 AM
Carlos shrugged. One hand found its way to the back of his neck, toying with the label inside his sweater. It had always been so easy to talk to her, but now he felt awkward, like everything was going to come out bitter or angry.

“You, me... this,” he gestured vaguely at Jacinda, with a hard sigh.

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 10:47:48 AM
She might have pulled at her own hair, if she hadn't been clutching what she'd just picked up. Instead she sighed..

Well, at least maybe he was going to listen this time..

"I don't know why he did it.", she said softly, half afraid of starting another fight. Once she got going thoough, she was bordering on a rant..

"But I'm telling you... Chris did this.. Set this whole thing up. He took that picture of me and Ethan from my room. Had you framed for stealing Professor Yamada's CD, and convinced you that I'm in love with Ethan Evans.. Which by the way..", she scowled..
"I'm not.."

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 10:53:49 AM
That seemed to snap Carlos to attention. He lifted his head, almost defiantly, and threw his hands up.

“Why do you even have pictures of him here in the first place? After what he did to you... I thought you hated that guy... idiota maldecido!”

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 01:54:20 PM
The sudden flare of attitude from Carlos ignited a similar spark in Jacinda. With something like a growl, she narrowed her eyes at him.

"Come along.." Not giving him much choice in the matter, Jacinda dropped her scrapbooking materials in a heap, then dove at him catching him under the arms and lifting him off his feet. She'd flown her lover-boy around enough in training to have acquired a knack for it.

Jacinda flew straight to her bedroom window which was unlocked, pushed it open and once they were safely inside plopped Carlos on her bed, none too gently. Ignoring him she walked to the closet door and slammed it open, then came stalking out with a much battered cardboard box. It was addressed to her, forwarded from her parents house, and before that from Apple Valley High School.

"Go ahead... It's my oh-so-romantic memory box. You know the one professing my undying love for Ethan.", she scowled.

Really it was just a box of junk that had been in her locker, the school had sent it to her house, and her parents, having washed there hands of her sent it on to Cullen's. The pictures had been ones she's already paid for from before Homecoming, the school had sent those too...

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 02:00:56 PM
Carlos eyed the shoebox as if it might be a bomb, or perhaps a piece of spoiled meat.

“The hell am I supposed to do with that?”

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 02:09:48 PM
"Open it, of course...", she shook her head. "Duh.."

"Nevermind! I'll do it." Without ceremony she upended the box of junk onto her bed, beside him.

Photos of her with some girl friends weilding pom-poms in uniform, class schedules, an old pack of bubble gum, random locker junk... and a white envelope with her homecoming pictures. That was about it, oh and her stupid tiara and sash.

"Clearly I was plotting some grand future as Mrs. Evans...", she grumbled.

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 02:20:39 PM
Confronted with the contents of the box sprawled before him, Carlos was quiet. He stood staring at the mess of memories for what felt like a long time. Aside from some vague overview, Jacinda had never really told him much about her life before Cullen's, and he had never asked. Some people preferred to forget the past, others just kept it to themselves. Being suddenly confronted with fragments of Jacinda's life was strange, like seeing a jigsaw puzzle scattered on the floor, with half the pieces missing.

He picked a picture out from the pile – a photograph of Jacinda in her full cheer-leading get-up. He had to admit, she did look happy, and just looking at her was making him smile.

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 02:32:03 PM
When he didn't immediately say anything, no soap opera worthy - 'Oh wow Jacinda, I see now the error of my way, how could I have ever been so silly as to think you would be pining away for some silly jock after all we've shared' - something!, she frowned more.

If Carlos wanted to know who her heart called home, all he had to do was look around the rest of the room. Stealing a peek to see what he was looking at, Jacinda suddenly felt ridiculous. She was just not that spoiled shallow girl anymore. She'd done a lot of growing up. Back then she hadn't known who she was, those people were all superficial, hollow, idiots. Here she'd found real friends..

"Well..", she sighed bending to start shoving it all away again.

"I just wanted you to know Chris was full of crap. Whatever his reasons were, it was all lies. I do not love Ethan.. I never really did. He was just my dumb boyfriend from my dumb old school."

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 02:49:16 PM
Carlos nodded to himself and let the picture fall into the box along with the others. He watched Jacinda packing her past away, stuffing the pictures and tokens into the shoebox. As she continued her angry clean-up, he lifted his head and took a look around the room. In an instant, his anger softened. Everywhere, he saw reminders of himself, from the doodles pinned to the walls, to one of his shirts lying over the back of a chair and a goofy looking photograph of the two of them on the bedside table. Congratulations, Carlos... you're an idiot.

“I don't know why I listened to Chris. He's so full of it. Him and Esme.”

Jacinda was turning away, going to put the shoebox somewhere.

“Jas, listen... I'm sorry.”

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 02:59:28 PM
She had wanted to hear those words..Hell, any words from Carlos for so long it almost knocked the breath out of her. At once she felt all exposed and emotional, she shoved the stupid box back onto it's dusty shelf, where it would stay, then lay her head against the closet.

"You know.. Carlos...", she said with a tragic sigh..

"Do you think you can just say that you're sorry, and admit that Chris is a jerk, and then suddenly I'm, just like that, supposed to forgive you..?"

Slowly she turned around, arms folded across her chest. She walked forward toward him, and tipped his chin up to meet her laughing eyes with one finger.

"Well... you'd be correct.", she tackled him backward onto the bed.

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 03:40:31 PM
Carlos hit the bed with an oof and managed to restrain himself for about half a second before stealing a kiss. It was like taking the first breath of air after diving too long under water. All over his body prickled with heat, responding to the much missed feeling of close-contact with Jacinda.

“Oh,” - he kissed her again, in between words - “I've missed you so bad.”

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 04:39:15 PM
"God... I know.", she cupped his face in her hands, kissing him repeatedly.

"I missed you too.. Soooo much."

It was true, there had been many a miserable night spent cuddled up to his shirt in misery, wishing she had the nerve to just go pound on his door and make him listen to her, of course.. his roomies would have loved that little seen.

Jacinda was still not sure if she should be worried about Carlos. Taya had looked like she might start hissing at him on more than one occasion..

To say nothing of the fact that training with the X-men suddenly had become less fun. Sure it was still a big honor and she went down to the sub-basments a few times a week to train, but without her partner.. it was just not the same.

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 04:50:55 PM
He could have kicked himself, a hundred times over, for being so easily duped by Chris – but more so for doubting Jacinda. That was a mistake he wouldn't be making again any time soon.

“You know,” he laughed, “I been lost without you. Never knew what to do with myself... it's been driving me nuts – and Marty too.”

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 05:04:57 PM
Sitting up, Jacinda smiled down at him. "Well... at least Marty has enough herb to make himself not care if you're a mess."

She winked, linking her fingers through his. "Don't be thinking I missed that either! I may be a good girl, but I'm not that good.."

Carlos should know.. She practically molested him once, lucky for her, he was compliant with her lewd demands.

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 05:16:07 PM
Carlos squeezed her hand in his. He was content to lay there in the plush pillows, surrounded by the scent of her, for as long as she could tolerate him. “So, what did I miss? I feel like I'm outta the loop. I mean, I saw that you were checking in and out of the D-... you know where...still, but other than...”

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 05:59:53 PM
"Nothing really..", Jacinda admitted, getting good and snuggled up with Carlos.

"I've driven Taya a bit mad with my incessant moping. Other than spending time with the mini-mutants, classes, training - that kind of thing. Oh!", she exclaimed excitedly.

"And I met Ridley Rhee! He is the cutest thing ever, I swear.."

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 06:10:29 PM
“Cutest thing ever?” Carlos pouted, putting on his best puppy-dog eyes as he hugged Jacinda close.

“Yeah, I met the kid too. Crazy, huh? Like a little pint-sized Dragon. Who'd of guessed that John-boy had it in him!”

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 06:15:17 PM
"Aside from you, of course..", she amended, pulling his hair playfully.

"I'm still not clear on why he is only just now meeting his son, but he asked for some privacy there, so I didn't pester him. Now on the other hand.. I did meet the Mom too, Clarity she told me to call her. Apparently she used to teach her.. She seemed alright, but why keep a great kid away from a great Dad so long, huh? Something funky about the whole thing..."

Pulling his arms tighter around her, Jacinda grinned. "You may have to restrain me, so I don't start an investigation."

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 06:20:38 PM
“Oh no, no investigations...”

With a playful growl, he rolled over on top of her. Shaggy hair fell in his face, almost hiding a smile.

“We've got more important things to do!”

Taya Robbins
Jun 13th, 2008, 06:37:15 PM
On the other side of the wall, there was a muffled noise that sounded almost like a high-pitched, half-whispered "Yes!", a thump, and a frantic scrambling up off the floor and onto a bed.

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 06:51:31 PM
Jacinda had been in the process of sliding her hands beneath Carlos' shirt, running them up his bare back and grinning like a ninny, when the 'thump' occured. She froze.

The last time they'd gotten frisky in her room, Jacinda had not had a room mate. She very nearly forgot, in her haste to make-up in the very best way possible with Carlos, that Taya was on the other side of the wall.

Oh God! What had she heard!?

"Carlos..", she stopped..

"Mmmm?"

"Carlos.. we have to stop!", she whispered, suddenly blushing.

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:01:35 PM
“Huh?”

The thump had gone unnoticed by Carlos, who was more than used to hearing unusual noises from his own room-mate, the nocturnal bat dude. Jacinda glanced pointedly towards the wall that joined onto Tess's old room, but Carlos chose to pretend he hadn't understood what she was suggesting, preferring instead to nibble her earlobe.

Taya Robbins
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:16:46 PM
Taya sat on her bed and grabbed for her sketchbook, half-expecting to hear an indignant knock on her door. And then she thought maybe she should just pack up and go and let them make up in peace.

Of course, she'd already tipped her ha- paw. If she ran off now, it'd look like she was... well, running off.

And wasn't there some sort of uncertainty principle involving cats? So, really, she was both in the room and out of the room until they checked.

In some other quantum reality, Taya packed her bag and tiptoed out of the room. In this one, she crept silently back toward the wall, but she kept her MP3 player and earbuds handy just in case things got too juicy on the other side.

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:25:23 PM
Not hearing the pitter-patter of kitty feet coming to investigate, or any other sounds, for that matter convinced Jacinda - mostly - that they were in the clear.

She did make a mental note to keep it quiet, then snuzzled up against Carlos more. He just felt too good, and she was too starved for him.. Leaning back against her pillows with her hair spread out around her she held a single finger to her lips in a 'shhhhh' gesture, before pulling him back down for more kissing..

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:40:12 PM
Someone was listening in on them, Carlos had guessed that much, and if that was the case he was going to give them something to listen to! Rather than 'shh' as requested, he made a point of groaning into every kiss and writhing about on the bed like he was consumed with some mad carnal fever. In the hopes of further disturbing whoever was spying on them, he rolled onto his back – pulling Jacinda on top of him – and growling as he squeezed her close. His face contorted with mock-ecstacy, he grinned up at her.

“Ohhhhh, Jacinda!”

Taya Robbins
Jun 13th, 2008, 07:42:49 PM
"Omygawd!"

Taya fumbled with her earbuds and then decided she was in the wrong quantum branch of the universe. She grabbed her sketchbook and ran out the door, not bothering to close it quietly.

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 08:18:19 PM
"Taya! Waaaaiiit!", Jacinda called over her hysterical laughing...

"Oh! You are rotten!", she swatted Carlos. "The poor girl!", she laughed more, making no move to go after her. She'd just have to talk to her later, that is if she didn't have to call the fire department to get the kitty-girl out of a tree!

Oh wait.. I fly...

Still grinning, Jacinda snuggled down onto Carlos again, just happy encircled in his arms. It was amazing really, how much better she felt now that they'd talked and gotten past all the lies and bitterness. She couldn't stand fighting with him it had been eating her up because she loved hi......

She did!

The thought struck her like lightning. She was totally in love with Carlos Calaveras. She'd never told him such a thing of course, but it was there plain for her to see. It was too big of a feeling to keep to herself, she had to tell him... She knew she'd gone quiet, but she was thinking...

She's wanted to tell her parents some things, and now she'd never have the chance. Lucy was gone, she'd never get to share her thoughts with her either. Tess was gone, they couldn't stay up late at night whispering back and forth secrets.. And Carlos... She'd almost lost him too! She had to tell him... She had too...

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 08:29:59 PM
Pleased with his accomplishment of scaring off Taya, Carlos was content to settle back down onto the bed with Jacinda in his arms. He rested his head on hers, taking the chance to enjoy the little things like the scent of her hair. It made his heart beat a little harder.

“Mmm,” he closed his eyes. “I could lie here all day.”

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 08:38:41 PM
"I think you might be required to, because I'm not inclined to let you up.", she said quietly, just enjoying the feel of him, rubbing her face against his chest and breathing him in...

Quit stalling, Jas!

"Carlos..?", she whispered quietly...

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 08:47:15 PM
His eyes still closed, one hand absent-mindedly toyed with her hair, fingers running from her neck upwards. When she spoke, he whispered back.

“Yeah?”

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 09:01:43 PM
"I love you..", she said it quietly, but with absolute certainty.

She'd been a miserable wreck without him. Cullen's, which was her home, had felt like it was full of shadows. The X-men, although she has still been proud to be a part of the team, it had felt.. empty. Everything that made her happy had felt forced and lonely, and now, being here like this, just the two of them it was crystal clear to her why. Because he hadn't been with her.

It wasn't even that she was searching for him to start spouting declarations either. She just needed him to know that..

"I do... I love you and I just had to say that..", she didn't move..

Carlos Calaveras
Jun 13th, 2008, 09:15:36 PM
Love and Carlos were, up until recently, two entirely separate concepts, existing happily without knowledge of one another at opposite ends of the universe. Although there had been a couple of girls in his life before Jacinda, none of them would have been comfortable with the fact that his hands could spontaneously-combust at any moment. Right then, it felt as if his heart was going to be the one exploding, right out of his chest given how hard it was beating. So this is what it feels like...

Carlos opened his eyes and looked down at her, turning her chin up with a light touch. He kissed her and smiled a little, resting his forehead against hers.

“...I love you too.”

Jacinda Blake
Jun 13th, 2008, 09:42:44 PM
She barely realized it, but at his words, Jacinda had lifted up, floating nearly a foot above him. She was that happily distracted. When she had to reach for him to pull herself back down she smiled sheepishly, clinging to him to keep herself steady.

Jacinda didn't even entertain the thought that he'd said it just because she had. She really believed him. Especially after the way he'd told her how he had been while they were fighting. It was a mirror of her own messed up days..

Happier than she had been all year, she brushed his hair out of his eyes and kissed him long and slow, slipping back to where they'd been just before catching the Taya-thump...