PDA

View Full Version : Redefining Family

Ridley Rhee
May 28th, 2008, 06:21:14 PM
Ridley Rhee had been up for hours and hours and hours and he was out of ideas. He had already made three trips to the ice machine, which was loud and fun until some grouchy guy in a bathrobe stuck his head out into the hall and told him to stop making noise while people were trying to sleep.

Trying out his room key in the other doors had been neat--the little scraping sound of the keycard, and the blinking red light was just like in a spy movie. Ridley played James Bond for a while, but then housekeeping came around the corner and he had to stop.

There was nothing else interesting on their floor (except the pool, which he wasn't allowed to go to by himself) and so the boy reluctantly returned to the room he and his mother were staying in. She was still sleeping. Ridley didn't understand how she could sleep in today, of all days.

He used the phone to call room service and, once his orange juice arrived, clambered onto her bed with his iPod. Impatiently, he stared at her steadily -breathing form and sighed. Ridley wondered whether it was worth it or not to poke her and was just about to do so when she made a noise and stirred.

"Finally!"

Chartis
May 28th, 2008, 06:32:37 PM
Years of experience had trained Clarity's instincts to identify, even in the dead of sleep, when she was being watched. It was an unmistakably intense sensation and waking up with it always left her feeling slightly off-kilter.

One hand limply reached over to the bedside table, patting aimlessly until it brushed against the sturdy frames of her glasses. Groaning, Clarity lifted her head and put them on, blinking as she glanced askance at her son. A half-smile formed on her mouth.

"Morning, Ridleyroo; what time is it?" The clock read nine-thirty, which ellicited another groan from the diminutive woman. She frowned and flopped back onto the pillows. "Ohhh what are you doing up so early?"

Ridley Rhee
May 28th, 2008, 06:37:50 PM
"It's not really early!" Ridley protested, almost knocking over his juice in his fervor. An accusatory scowl passed over the boy's brow and he shook his finger at his mother. "You said you was gon' t'wake up at eight."

Chartis
May 28th, 2008, 06:46:10 PM
"Did I say that?" Clarity yawned and scrubbed at her eyes, stretching to place the juice onto the bedside table. "I must have been momentarily insane."

Ridley narrowed his eyes which made her laugh and she reached out a hand fondly, tickling his narrow ribs. The little boy dissolved in a fit of laughter and plopped next to her, his hand cupped protectively around his iPod so that he didn't accidently roll onto it.

Very faintly the tinny sound of Ridley's music could be heard, pouring out of the headphones he wore. A slight frown pinched Clarity's features together as she strained to recognize the song.

"What are you listening too, Rids?" She asked thickly as she propped herself up on her pillow. The boy reached over her and took a sip of juice. He shrugged.

"DMX."

"Ugh, this early?" She made a face and patted his knee. "C'mon, change it, please. It's terrible."

The withering look Ridley gave her was masterful. He rolled his eyes. "Y'can't stifle artistic expression, Mum."

Clarity scoffed at that; she vaguely remembered telling him the very same thing on their excursion to The Met, though the words sounded silly now that they were being thrown back at her. "That is not art, believe you me."

Ridley Rhee
May 28th, 2008, 06:54:19 PM
Ridley just shrugged again. His mum didn't really have good taste in music. She still listened to ABBA and David Cassidy.

"Tha's what they said 'bout Jackson Pollock." Boy, was he ever glad he'd listened at that stupid museum! The boy scooted off the bed and tapped his iPod's volume up a couple notches. A little plastic breakfast menu by the phone was calling to him, and he studied it hungrily.

"Is it at least edited?"

"Huh?" Ridley looked at his mother, confused. She nodded her head at his earphones.

"The music. Is it a radio version?"

He squinted and scrunched his face up. He wasn't supposed to have anything that wasn't clean on his playlist. All of a sudden the Belgian waffles looked very appealing; Ridley busied himself sounding out the description on the menu.

"Ridley."

Ridley sighed and dropped his shoulders. "No, I guess not." He turned and cast an imploring look at Clarity, the Cayman lilt to his voice thich with righteous earnesty. "But s'not fair t'change it! Everyone's gotta right t'say what they feel!"

Chartis
May 28th, 2008, 07:01:57 PM
"You know the deal. No edit, no iPod." Ignoring the look of exasperation that Ridley sent her way, Clarity rolled to the edge of the bed and sat up. Her body protested mightily, not happy since she hadn't managed to fall asleep until a little after one.

"How does breakfast look, love? Anything good?" Feigning energy she didn't have, Clarity stood and swept her hair back out of her face. Nothing appealed to her at this hour except coffee, but her son couldn't very well start the day with nothing more than juice.

Ridley Rhee
May 28th, 2008, 07:08:46 PM
Hopefully his mum would forget about DMX, because he really did like him. Ridley surreptitiously turned off his music and tucked the earbuds into his pocket, out of sight.

"I just want toast." He declared, dropping the menu. Toast was easy and, more importantly, fast. "You can go shower if y'wanta. I can order."

Chartis
May 28th, 2008, 07:21:33 PM
Not that he was rushing her, or anything.

Clarity smiled at Ridley but wisely decided not to say anything; it was obvious that he was terrifically excited and he was always easy to ruffle when he was excited. She nodded instead and headed for the bathroom.

"Okay; I wouldn't mind a cup of coffee either please, waiter. And real cream, if they have it."

Ridley nodded and waved her off. She dawdled in the bathroom, eavesdropping as he placed their order. Clarity couldn't quite stifle a chuckle as she heard him ask in his most proper English, "Can you make sure your fastest cook makes it, please? I've got a very busy day."

The shower was hot and fierce, but it felt delicious and Clarity lingered longer than was neccesary, letting the sharp needles massage her neck and shoulders. By the time she stepped out the bathroom was thick with steam. She wrapped a fluffy towel around herself and opened the door, welcoming the cool difference of the room.

Ridley had already tossed some clothes onto her bed, and was now busy trying to pour cream into her coffee and eat his toast at the same time. Clarity raised her eyebrows. "Boy, we are in a rush aren't we?"

Ridley Rhee
May 28th, 2008, 07:51:18 PM
"Yup." Ridley nodded and took a huge bite of toast. He pointed his mother towards her coffee--jeepers she was slow!--and swallowed furiously.

A whole half hour had already gone by. If he didn't chew his food or comb his hair (didn't do much good, anyway) they could leave in approximately eight minutes.

Ridley peered over into his mother's coffee cup. She'd hardly had any!

"Mu-um!"

Chartis
May 28th, 2008, 08:03:10 PM
"Ridley, I'm not going to scald my tonsils just so we can rush out of here." Clarity took a slow sip from her cup and set it down, reaching for the clothes he'd layed out; jeans and a t-shirt that weren't a half-bad choice. "I'm going to get dressed and then--"

Clarity looked at him meaningfully. "I'm going to enjoy my coffee. Slow down sweetheart. I know you're excited and it's hard to wait but another hour won't kill you."

Ridley Rhee
May 28th, 2008, 08:17:29 PM
An hour?!!

Ridley looked at his mum, aghast. She couldn't be serious! Today was the day he was going to meet his dad! If he had to wait another hour he would explode!

Discarding the crusts of his toast, the boy quickly went into the bathroom to brush his teeth. Maybe if he got totally, completely, one hundred percent ready she would change her mind. Ridley spit and rinsed before wetting a comb and attacking his unruly hair. It still stuck up but at least it was in a wet sorta half-hearted way.

Ridley was pleased to see that Clarity had gotten dressed, just like she'd said. It was a start.

"Mum." He tried to sound thoughtful, not restive. "I know y'have t'have your coffee. But will it really take an hour?"

Chartis
May 28th, 2008, 08:31:04 PM
A sigh, and Clarity stretched out a hand to ruffle his freshly-brushed hair. "No, babe, probably not. But remember even if we get there early--"

"My dad will be busy doin' his stuff and's gonna meet us later, I know." Ridley finished. He looked at her with such a doleful expression that Clarity almost clucked. "But what if he already finished and he's lookin' for me and I'm not there?"

"Then he'll wait, I promise you." Clarity eyed him tenderly. "Are you nervous?"

Ridley Rhee
May 28th, 2008, 08:37:57 PM
Ridley shrugged. "Mmmm. Sorta. Like, I'm more excited than nervous but still a little nervous."

There were little jumpy things in his belly that wouldn't stop hopping around. A worried frown creased his features. "I hope he likes me."

Chartis
May 28th, 2008, 08:51:12 PM
Oh.

If Ridley hadn't decreed kisses gross, Clarity would have showered him with them at that instant. Instead she stroked his cheek and shook her head, her eyes filled with an unfathomably deep love.

"How could he not like you?" She crooned softly. Ridley rested his face against her palm and let himself be drawn into a hug. He filled her arms now--Clarity could remember a time not so long ago when she'd marvelled at how very miniscule he was. She felt her breath falter; how fast it had all gone by!

"He is going to love you, Ridley Rhee."

Ridley Rhee
May 28th, 2008, 08:54:28 PM
That made him feel a little better. Sometimes mums said things because they were your mum and had too, but he could tell this was different. She really meant it.

From the depths of her embrace, Ridley whispered, "Does this mean we can leave now?"

Chartis
May 28th, 2008, 09:13:17 PM
Clarity laughed.

"Oh you conniving little brat." Shaking her head, Clarity set her half-finished coffee mug down and vacated her seat. Ridley grinned up at her. She rolled her eyes. "All right, all right. Let me brush my teeth and hair and then we'll go."

"Yes!" Ridley exclaimed with a whoop.

She didn't take much time in the bathroom, settling for pinning her hair up loosely with two tortoise-shell combs. At the last minute Clarity grabbed a thin sweater for herself, and tossed Ridley his coat. It was spring in New York, but they were used to a much warmer climate.

Once they were all ready, Ridley wrapped his arms around her and pressed his face against her stomach, eyes tightly scrunched shut. Clarity rubbed his back reassuringly; he hated teleporting. "Ready?"

Ridley nodded.

"One for the money, two for the show, three to get ready, four to go and--"

"Five for good!" Ridley yelped, hands fisting in her shirt as the familiar falling sensation engulfed them. For a split second they were caught in the middle of a swirling grey vacuum that roared silently and then...

"We're here." Clarity bent down and whispered in Ridley's ear.

Ridley Rhee
May 28th, 2008, 09:55:34 PM
Cautiously, Ridley opened one eye. He saw green grass and blue sky and nice trees and let out a relieved breath. Now that they were safely out of in-between, he let go of his mum and made sure he was all in once piece.

"Everything okay?"

Ridley looked up and nodded. He still felt a little woozy, but that would go away.

Instead he turned his attention to their surroundings. They were standing in the middle of the biggest schoolyard he had ever seen--there were three basketball courts (three!) and a tire swing on a huge tree and it seemed to stretch on forever and forever! He was itching to run, but knew without asking that his mum probably wanted him to stay with her.

The actual school didn't look like any school he'd ever seen before. It was more like a huge house. Like the one that Dracula lived in, except not scary. Ridley's mouth dropped open in amazement and he looked up at his mother.

"Cha! You wen' t'school here?" There was nothing but awe in his voice. "My dad lives in this big ol' place?"

Chartis
May 29th, 2008, 12:02:46 AM
She nodded, surveying the Institute with just as much joy as she had earlier in the week. "He does indeed. We're going to stay here too, for a little while."

Ridley's eyes widened. "We're gonna live here?!"

"For a little while." Clarity stressed. "If it works out, well... then we'll see."

The boy was nodding, most likely already sure that everything would work out. Clarity frowned down at the top of his head, but soon shrugged; even if they chose to live in the city, Ridley would spend so much time at Cullen's that whether he lived there or not would be negligible.

She reached down in one smooth motion and grasped his hand, squeezing playfully. "So do you just want to stand here staring or should we take a look around?"

Ridley Rhee
May 29th, 2008, 12:57:51 AM
He was going to live in this giant place with his mum and his dad and tons of mutant kids, and maybe even a dog if he begged. Ridley couldn't believe his luck.

At his mother's teasing, the boy tossed his black hair off his forehead and bounded forward. "Look around, look around! I want t'see everything!"

The knowledge that his dad could be mere moments away thrilled Ridley, and he wondered if maybe he was watching them now. If so what a scene he was making, jumping and shouting! The boy stiffened and forced himself to calm down, giving his mother's hand another, gentler, tug.

Chartis
May 29th, 2008, 03:02:13 AM
Clarity allowed herself to be pulled forward by her zealous child, his grin echoed on her own face. She pointed out a spot where she'd used to practice teleporting, a secluded little half-circle of shaded grass flanked by fir trees but Ridley seemed more interested in watching a group of students by the fountain; one of them had her hands out and was making the water twist and turn around her, directing the spray at her shrieking friends. The boy laughed as the others were soaked.

They took their time, ambling around the grounds with Ridley asking a million questions and Clarity managing to answer one or two when he stopped to take a breath. They walked around the perimeter of the building completely and then doubled back. She was happy to take as much time as he wanted to, reveling in the familiar old yard.

After a time she patted Ridley's shoulder. "Let's go inside baby."

Ridley nodded. "Okay!"

"Remember that this is a school though, Rids. Even if it's Saturday we have to keep it down." Clarity cautioned as they jumped up the stairs two at a time.

Ridley Rhee
May 29th, 2008, 03:27:53 AM
Ridley made a face at the reminder. Like he was a baby who had never been in a school before and didn't know what an indoor voice was! His mum talked way louder than he did, anyway.

In a grand gesture of kindness he decided to let it go, and just nodded as they walked through the doors...

Where he promptly forgot what an indoor voice was.

"It's huge!" Ridley shouted, staring with wide eyes at the vaulted ceilings. The lobby was so big he thought he could hear an echo.

Jacinda Blake
May 29th, 2008, 02:46:10 PM
Saturday morning found Jacinda Blake in the downstairs T.V. room. An army of Cullen's younger students ranging in age from five to ten surrounded her where she sat on the couch. Some of the smaller students were snuggled up to her sides watching a Codename: Kids Next Door marathon on Cartoon Network. Jacinda luckily was still considered to be a student and had not yet plummeted into the realms of adulthood in their eyes, or she could have been in peril from some of the ideas that particular show gave them. A couple of the older students were slumped, zombie-eyed over the large coffee table, Froot-loop laden spoons dripping milk half way to their mouths while they watched. At least they were still half groggy and mostly quiet, she thought, smiling and twirling a lock of golden curls through her fingers from the little girl half draped across her lap cuddling a stuffed monkey...

"It's huge!" The excited cry caught her attention. Jacinda figured some of the rascals may have escaped. As unobtrusively as she could, she disentangled herself from the heap of kids to go investigate. She was not the only teacher's aid present, so she wouldn't be leaving her group unattended..

Poking her head out, Jacinda spotted the pair - a woman and a little boy walking along not far down the hall from her. She suddenly knew who it was she was seeing.. She'd sort of been expecting them, actually..

She had recieved a copy of the email Professor Rhee had sent out, giving everyone a heads up.

'Clarity and Ridley are visiting the Institute this Saturday. It shall be the first time I meet my son. I ask that you welcome and receive them with all the kindness and grace I have come to expect from you. In advance, I thank you....'

To say that she was a bit astounded that her favorite teacher was a Dad was falling seriously short of the mark.. She couldn't even begin to fathom how he must feel about the whole thing! He'd asked for some privacy regarding why he was just now finding this life altering information out, and despite the fact that Jacinda really wanted to lock herself in his office and bribe him with tea and doughnuts until he confessed, she would try to meet that request.

Family....

Sore subject for a lot of people at Cullen's, herself included. But if that kiddo was the son of Professor Rhee, Jacinda was going to adore him.. She just knew it! His mother... Well, she would just have to wait and reserve judgment on Clarity Cleine.

"Hello there.." Jacinda called smiling brightly..

Chartis
May 29th, 2008, 02:55:03 PM
"Ridley," Clarity shook her head and put a finger to her lips. The boy winced and nodded, miming a zipper closing across his mouth. They could hear the sounds of television drifting from a room on the right, and had just started over to investigate when a pretty young woman emerged.

"Hello there!" She greeted cheerily. Clarity returned the smile, noting a veil of recognition drop behind the the girls eyes.

"Good morning." The woman said pleasantly, putting a hand on her son's shoulder.

Ridley Rhee
May 29th, 2008, 02:57:01 PM
Ridley was a little more enthusiastic.

"Hi!" He waved and flashed his pearly baby teeth at Jacinda, towing his mother behind him as he trotted forward and stuck out a hand. "My name is Ridley, who're you?"

Jacinda Blake
May 29th, 2008, 03:15:56 PM
"Good morning, Professor Cleine.." Jacinda grinned, clearly letting the woman know that she was expected.

She eagerly took Ridley's hand and gave it a shake. "It's my pleasure, Ridley! My name is Jacinda Blake, I'm a student here, but sometimes I double as a teachers aid."

To Clarity she nodded back into the room she had just popped out of. "Saturday morning 'toons are on at present.."

Chartis
May 29th, 2008, 03:35:27 PM
Ridley's eyes lit up at that, but he didn't move to go watch. Clarity waited until he'd exchanged introductions with Jacinda before speaking.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Ms. Blake." Clarity held out her own hand. "And please call me Clarity."

Was it her imagination or was there a bit of a cold streak in the young woman's voice? She seemed warm enough with Ridley but when she'd adressed her...

No, that was foolish. Surely the girl couldn't mistrust her without even knowing her?

Ridley Rhee
May 29th, 2008, 03:41:50 PM
Jacinda had called his mum 'professor'! Ridley laughed out loud. "My mum's not a teacher. Right?"

He looked up at his mother but she didn't shake her head. Ridley's mouth dropped. "You're gon'ta teach?"

"Maybe. We'll talk about it later Rids."

Ridley nodded and then looked back at Jacinda. His eyes sparkled. "D'ya know what? My dad's a teacher here."

Jacinda Blake
May 29th, 2008, 05:20:13 PM
With a smile at Clarity for being so friendly, Jacinda dropped to a knee and sqwaked right back at Ridley. "D'ya know what? Your Dad is my favorite teacher here!"

She nodded solemnly and crossed her heart with her pinkie finger, then held it out for Ridley's inspection. "Pinkie swear.."

Ridley Rhee
May 29th, 2008, 05:41:30 PM
Ridley scrutinized Jacinda carefully before linking his little finger with hers and shaking solemnly. The little boy leaned over until his forehead almost touched hers.

"Y'really know my dad?" He whispered, looking at her hungrily. "'Cause you know what? I am gon'ta meet him. I am gon'ta meet him today."

Jacinda Blake
May 29th, 2008, 06:46:36 PM
"I think that's pretty awesome, Ridley.." Jacinda grinned, oddly feeling like hugging the kid, but as she'd only just met him she'd keep it to a compulsion.

"So..", she said rising up again and meeting Clarity's eyes.

"Was that where you guys were headed? Should I call Professor Rhee and let him know you're here or anything?"

Chartis
May 29th, 2008, 06:56:49 PM
Clarity started to shake her head no at the exact same time Ridley started to nod his yes.

"I don't think--" "Yeah!"

The woman sighed and then reconsidered; she'd told John that she would inform him when they arrived anyway, and hadn't had a chance too yet. Maybe it would be better if Ms. Blake took him the message. It would allow Clarity to keep two eyes on her son.

After another moment's thought, she nodded. "That would be very helpful, Ms. Blake, thank you." She felt weird calling the girl 'Ms.' but Jacinda hadn't reciprocated Clarity's invitation to be informal. "Tell him we're in no rush. Ridley and I are having a fine time looking around and don't want to disturb his schedule."

Ridley's scowl suggested that he was all for disrupting John's schedule, but he didn't say anything.

Jacinda Blake
May 29th, 2008, 07:30:45 PM
"Sure thing, Professor Clarity..." She said with a wink. She somehow didn't feel it was appropriate to start calling teachers, even former - potentially future teachers - by their first names at school. Maybe during training, maybe..

On the other hand, some wicked little devil (not Damien) had just landed on her shoulder and started whispering pretty little nothings into her ear...

"I'll let him know you are here and just taking a peek around with Ridley. It was my pleasure to meet you both!", she smiled and turned to walk away, but stopped and turned back.

"Just Jacinda though, ok? Miss Blake will make the munchkins think I'm old and then I'll be done for!", she teased..

She poked her head into the T.V. room and told the others where she was headed. "I'll be back..", she gave her best Arnold improv, earning a giggle from a couple of the older students who even knew who the Terminator was..

Ridley Rhee
May 29th, 2008, 07:45:13 PM
Ridley waved at Jacinda's retreating form. "Bye Jacinda! Don't forget t'tell him t'hurry!"

The dark-haired child watched until the girl had disappeared around a corner. Then he turned to his mother and pointed at a row of faculty photographs that she hadn't thought he'd noticed. "Is my dad on there?"

Ridley bounded over, standing on his tippy toes. "Which one is he?"

Chartis
May 29th, 2008, 07:51:37 PM
"Mmm let's see," Clarity took a few steps until she stood behind Ridley, and bent closer. It was easy to find John, and she tapped the side of the frame. "Right here, this is him."

Ridley scrambled to look, jumping up until Clarity wrapped her arms around his chest and heaved him up, resting him on a knee that was braced against the wall. "Oof you're heavy!"

But Ridley wasn't paying attention to her. He was peering intently at John's image, silent in appraisal. Clarity watched his profile, the way he brushed his little fingertips across the glass.

"He looks like me." Ridley finally breathed, looking at his mother for confirmation. She nodded.

"Mmhmm. Sure does; you can certainly tell you're related."

Ridley beamed.

Jacinda Blake
May 30th, 2008, 10:09:52 AM
A big part of her job as a teachers aid was to actually be useful to the teachers she was working with this semester, which meant having a good working knowledge of their class schedules. Jacinda knew that right now Professor Rhee had one-on-one time with students in the upstairs training facilities, although she wasn't sure which student was on his agenda for the day..

She made her way there, trying to decide if she was happy to be bringing this news to him, or slightly intimidated. 'Hey, Professor? It's time to go meet the son you never knew you had!' Somehow that just didn't sound... nice.

When she arrived at the training room, she was surprised to find the door open and quiet from within, she poked her head in to find Professor Rhee alone.

"Good morning, Professor. Did you get scheduled with a no-show?"

Dragon
May 30th, 2008, 10:30:32 AM
For Jacinda, it would have been a familiar sight - John waiting beside a cardboard box full of scientific instruments. In this case, it appeared he'd been loaded for bear. There was an infra-red thermometer, a barometer, a force gauge, a pH set, even a Geiger counter.

He turned toward the door with a stern expression, but he softened when he saw who it was at the door.

"Ah, Jacinda. Yes, it certainly seems that way. What can I do for you?"

Jacinda Blake
May 30th, 2008, 10:42:24 AM
"I come bearing a most urgent summons, Professor. There is a rather precocious young man awaiting you in the main hall."

Jacinda smiled encourangingly, knowing how difficult this situation could be and how everyone had to tread a bit delicately, for now.

"In fact, in his exact words I was...", she cleared her throat for the dramatic delivery.. "...t'tell you t'hurry!"

"I'll put this stuff back in your office for you if you want, so you can go...? He's beautiful, by the way...", she added quietly..

Dragon
May 30th, 2008, 11:01:37 AM
There was a look of mild panic on John's face - but he smiled through it.

"Is he?" he said, just as quietly. "Well... thank you, though I'd already been planning for time to shower and change."

He looked down at his pristine white gi and back at her expectant expression.

"Though I suppose I don't really need to." He hefted the box, gave the room another cursory look, and moved to shut out the lights. "I wish I could say I felt prepared for this."

Jacinda Blake
May 30th, 2008, 11:14:42 AM
One golden brow arching, Jacinda gave her teacher a look that clearly said she knew he was trying to stall. Shower? Now!? From a no-show appointment, yeah right. She didn't say a word about it though, just helped him close up the room, which was still ready for the next training session, since it hadn't been used.

"You'll be fine. He's charming and so excited to meet you!", she smiled.

As the door closed she held out her arms for the box. "Hand it over, Professor.."

Dragon
May 30th, 2008, 11:37:00 AM
John looked at her in surprise and then laughed. "Yes, ma'am." He relinquished the box, then stooped to pull sandals onto his bare feet. "Just leave it anywhere - I haven't had time to tidy up, and the place is cluttered anyway."

He turned down the hallway and paused. "Thank you, Jacinda."

Ridley Rhee
May 30th, 2008, 12:35:03 PM
Ridley stared at the picture for as long as his mother could hold him up, and after her leg gave out he continued to look up at it. A half-smile was fixed on his face.

The wriggly feeling in his belly was back. This time the little bugs in there were really moving around. One small hand snaked up to take Clarity's and Ridley sighed.

"I feel like I'm gon'ta throw up. Or explode."

Chartis
May 30th, 2008, 12:47:36 PM
"Well don't explode, I would miss you an awful lot." Ridley gave her a look that expressed just how dorky she was and Clarity tweaked his nose before bending down and wrapping her arms around him.

"It's okay to be nervous. Do you want to get a drink of water?" There was a fountain on the opposite side of the grand foyer. Ridley nodded. Massaging his hand, Clarity led the little one over and took his coat when he handed it to her. He managed to take a drink without getting too wet.

When he was finished Clarity took a quick drink herself and then wiped her mouth. "Well, whats say we go and check out those cartoons Jacinda was talking about? You might meet some neat kids."

At least cartoons would be distracting enough to keep his mind from delving too deeply into worrisome thoughts.

Dragon
May 30th, 2008, 01:27:50 PM
John tried to rehearse all the greetings he'd been preparing over the week, but he couldn't quite keep them in the front of his mind. They kept scattering before thoughts like, What questions is he going to ask? and What if I don't measure up to his expectations? or even What if I'm forcing unreasonable expectations on him?

He finally decided if he was going to let that train of thought continue, he might as well go back to his office and stew a while longer. So he gave up on preparing and tried to clear his mind.

Just in time, because when he turned the corner into the entry hall, he found Clarity directing a small, dark-haired boy away from the faculty portraits and toward the den on the far side.

He coughed, fearing for a moment his throat would stick. "Hello."

Chartis
May 30th, 2008, 01:40:56 PM
Clarity stopped and turned, her expression changing from one of supreme confidence to one of gentle fear. Her heart quickened in it's pace.

"Hello," She said softly, longing to give John some reassurance; he looked ready to pass out. Instead she tapped her--their--son on the shoulder. Ridley was straining to hear the television. Clarity pressed a kiss to the top of his head and turned him around.

"Ridley," Bending down, Clarity ooped an arm around the boy and patted his hip. Her eyes never strayed from his profile. "I'd like you to meet someone. This... this is your father."

Ridley Rhee
May 30th, 2008, 01:52:47 PM
Ridley sucked in a breath, and stared.

Big, dark eyes roved over John slowly taking in everything--once, twice, a third time. All of his earlier bravado had disappeared and the little boy pressed into his mother's side and just looked.

This was his dad. Ridley put his hand to his mouth, his teeth going instinctively to the nail on his index finger. His dad was much bigger than he'd thought he would be.

A soft hand gently took his away from his mouth, and Ridley blushed. The boy took a deep breath and then stepped away from his mother, coming to stand in front of John. His real live dad.

"Hi." He whispered, waving slightly.

Dragon
May 30th, 2008, 02:06:10 PM
John simply couldn't take his eyes off the boy, even if he'd wanted to. His entire world had suddenly shrunk to the size and dimensions of a little, eight-year-old boy.

He closed the gap by a few more steps and slowly sank to one knee so he was on Ridley's level. He studied the boy as hungrily as Ridley was studying him.

"Hi, Ridley," he answered. All other words failed him. He had no use for them.

Ridley Rhee
May 30th, 2008, 02:21:46 PM
"Hi." The boy said again. He seemed just as starstruck as the man.

Cautiously Ridley stuck a hand out and brushed his fingertips along the trim of John's gi. He withdrew it almost immediately, but continued to study the garment, which he'd only ever seen in movies. It looked very comfortable.

"I was waitin' all mornin' t'meet you." Ridley started shyly and glanced at John to make sure it was okay to keep going, "Were you... were you doin' karate or something?"

Dragon
May 30th, 2008, 09:12:38 PM
John felt just as hesitant - as if he might move too suddenly and frighten him away, or wake himself and find that the boy had just been a dream. Smiling, he held out one sleeve for Ridley to feel.

"Not yet," he said. "I wear this when I train my students."

The boy was still shy, and the teacher in John couldn't resist feeding his inquisitive nature.

"Karate is Japanese. I've studied it. But when I was your age, I was learning the Korean art of Taekwando - the way of the foot and fist."

Ridley Rhee
May 30th, 2008, 09:48:51 PM
"Could you teach me?!" Ridley squeaked before he could think twice. Oh he'd suspected that his dad was a spy, but a secret agent and a ninja was almost too good to be true!

Ridley could see them now in a dark alley, shrouded in matching uniforms, effortlessly flying through the air and doing away with a legion of ugly bad guys. They would be an invincible duo whose names were whispered fearfully in criminal dens! Children everywhere would revere them! They would be known across the globe as defenders of truth and justice!

Unless... the boy worried his lip with his teeth. Unless his dad didn't want to teach him.

"You don't hafta," Ridley assured John stoically. He heard his mother make a noise and he glanced at her briefly before his face screwed up in a mixed expression of pleading and earnesty. "But I am a very good learner."

Dragon
May 30th, 2008, 10:05:06 PM
The clash of hope and hesitance on Ridley's face was almost too much for John - he took a deep breath and looked up toward Clarity. It was too subtle for the boy to see, but she couldn't possibly miss the grin fighting its way to his face.

"What do you think?"

Chartis
May 30th, 2008, 10:14:17 PM
It was uncanny, having both John and Ridley staring at her waiting for an answer. Clarity could have cried but instead she just let the warm throbbing in her chest rise until it glowed from her face.

"I think," She started with a shake of her head, feigning grave misgiving. Ridley flinched and squeezed his eyes shut.

"Please Mum!"

Clarity heaved a sigh. "Well, alright, as long as you go easy on him." She winked at Ridley then and nodded towards John. "Your dad isn't as young as he used to be."

Dragon
May 30th, 2008, 11:03:13 PM
Your dad. It took a concerted mental effort to remind himself that Clarity wasn't talking about someone else. The thought of passing on his people's traditions to his son - his son! - made him giddy with pride and trepidation.

"That's very true," he laughed. "Well, Ridley, I teach two self-defense classes on Saturdays - one in the in the morning, and one in the afternoon. How about if you come watch the afternoon class today, and then we can talk about signing you up for next semester?"

Ridley Rhee
May 31st, 2008, 12:01:53 AM
Ridley thought his cheeks would fall off he was smiling so wide. The little boy nodded, flipping his mass of dark hair wildly.

"Okay!" And, just in case John wasn't sure that he was thrilled with the idea, Ridley reached out and slipped a hand into his--a perfect, tiny copy gripping so tightly that the beds of his nails went white. The boy stilled, letting the feel of his father's skin against his own fill his senses until it nearly knocked him over.

Ridley's chest rose and fell sharply, and then he was suddenly in John's arms, clinging unsteadily to broad shoulders and face pressed against the line of the man's jaw. A hitch in his chest, barely a hair's breadth from being a sob, made little fingers seize the loose folds of cotton in the valley between shoulderblades as if, somehow, the pull of rough threads could bring him closer.

A shuddering breath fell from his mouth and tumbled down the curve of John's spine. He desperately wanted to say something but he couldn't even understand the swell of emotion that seemed to make even his blood hum, much less articulate it. So instead he sniffed, and held on.

Dragon
May 31st, 2008, 12:36:24 AM
John wrapped him up in his arms, tentatively at first, but then he pulled Ridley tightly against his chest, so tightly he could feel his son's pounding heartbeat.

It was the moment he'd both feared and longed for ever since Clarity's unexpected visit. If he'd had the power, he'd have lived in that moment for a day.

He stroked Ridley's hair and looked over the top of the boy's head at Clarity. His eyes were faintly glistening.

"Ridley," he whispered, "I love you." And then he felt the truth of it so profoundly it made him gasp. "I love you."

Ridley Rhee
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:30:36 AM
The grip around John's neck tightened.

"Love you too." Ridley sniffed, pressing a sloppy kiss to the shell of the man's ear. He liked the way it felt to be enfolded so completely in the long arms, the warm, safe feeling of knowing that nothing could possibly hurt him as long as his dad was there.

Ridley didn't want to let go. Keeping a firm hold on John, the boy leaned back a bit, surveying the man's face with wet eyes. One hand reached out and came to rest upon his father's cheek softly. "I'm never gon'ta leave, okay? I promise."

Chartis
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:05:11 AM
Clarity had to look away from the scene for the sheer force of it's power threatened to crack her in two. Ridley's stifled sobs were like gunshots, and she closed her eyes against them, dislodging tears that had been blinked back.

It was hard to clamp down on her motherly instinct--her child was experiencing something profound and she wanted to tuck him close to her, reassure him, and explain away any confusion or fears he had.

But it was John's turn. Clarity caught his gaze and recognized the same awestruck humility that she felt each day when she looked at their boy. The woman did not for a moment doubt his declaration. There was something transcendent about the love a parent felt for a child upon first sight; it was as true as it was instantaneous.

There was no way she was going to interupt their moment. Clarity discreetly rubbed away the tear streaks from her face and stood quietly, watching.

Dragon
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:04:13 PM
John stared deep into his son's dark eyes. He placed a hand across his narrow shoulders, feeling the budding strength in the boy's growing muscles.

"I'm so glad you're here with me, Ridley," he said. There were several other things spinning in his mind - apologies, promises, questions, but he didn't know which ones of them were right and which were wrong. He didn't want to risk harming the connection they'd just made.

"It's going to take us some time to get to know each other," he said. "What do you want to do first?"

Ridley Rhee
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:07:25 PM
That was a very hard question. Ridley wanted to see and do so many things that it was difficult to narrow it down. He thought, face shifting from expression to expression.

"Um, I want to see where you teach." Ridley said finally, nodding to himself. He started to tick things off on his fingers. "And where you live, and then Taekwando, and then I want to show you to Jacinda and then--"

Chartis
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:14:08 PM
"Let's work lunch in there sometime, bud." Clarity gently interupted Ridley's prattling, mindful that the boy had scarcely had breakfast. The little one nodded and picked up where he left off. At the rate he was going, it would take at least a couple of years to scratch everything off the list.

She chuckled softly and shook her head, winking at John as he tried to keep up with Ridley's itinerary.

Welcome to fatherhood, Professor Rhee. Hang on tight.

Dragon
Jun 4th, 2008, 10:24:31 PM
John caught Clarity's wink and wasn't entirely sure what to do with it. But then he realized she was turning the reins over to him.

He patted Ridley's back, somewhat awkwardly because it was something he'd thought he ought to do rather than something that sprung up naturally - perhaps he'd learn those gestures in time or perhaps they simply weren't a part of him. He was as unfamiliar with himself as a father as he was with Ridley as a son.

"Why don't we start," he said, experimentally, "with where I teach?"

He carefully disentangled himself from Ridley and rose to his feet, but the boy still had a fierce grip on his hand. John squeezed him back fondly.

He half-expected to find Jacinda around the bend with her ear against the wall, but the hallway was clear. He managed to pass some light conversation with Clarity and Ridley on the way, though he felt in such a daze he hardly knew what it was they were talking about.

John led them to the double doors that separated the mansion from the gymnasium annex. John explained that they had just broken ground before Clarity had left, and that she would have remembered using the old, Eisenhower-era gym which was now the cafeteria, and just when he feared he was beginning to lose his audience, he pushed open another set of double doors and said, "Ah, here we are."

What the gym lacked in size it made up for in modular ingenuity, though at first glance it hardly looked special. It was dominated by a basketball court encircled by an indoor track and flanked by bleacher seating. But there was also gymnastic equipment in the wings that could be wheeled out on cunningly concealed tracks, and retractable platforms for a host of competetive martial arts, and a bank of customizable climbing walls on the south end. And in a glassed-in alcove across from the entrance was what in most gyms would have been the weight room but in this one contained a dizzying array of exotic machinery and instruments, as if someone had raided an Olympic training facility, a NASA testing range, and a Ringling Brothers circus and thrown a yard sale.

"Most of my classes are in here," John said over the noise of a lone student shooting hoops. "We lay out mats for the self-defense classes, but for Mutation Development, we use a little of everything. That's the class where students are learning about their gifts, and we try to make sure they all have a way of challenging themselves and measuring their progress."

As they watched, the lone basketball player closed her eyes and levitated the basketball through the hoop, then back up over the rim and through again without letting it touch the ground.

Chartis
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:28:20 PM
Clarity appreciated the running explanation as they toured, more than Ridley (who seemed content to stare up at John with a grin and nod every so often.) She found herself having to reconcile this updated Cullen's with the memory of her much-loved alma mater. It was just foreign enough to feel strange, yet not enough to be entirely displacing.

The gymnasium was fantastic, and Clarity eyed the equipment appreciatively. There had certainly been developments since her days as a student.

"That must be an exciting class to teach. Never a dull moment, I'd wager." She clucked and shook her head. "This is fantastic, John.

Ridley Rhee
Jun 9th, 2008, 02:28:47 PM
"Yeah..." Ridley agreed with his mother, voice trailing off as he watched the stunning display on the court. At the description of his dad's classes, the boy perked up.

"I'm a mutant too!" The boy informed his father, with an enormously proud smile. "'Cept m'powers aren't working yet."

Ridley shrugged and then bit his lip, absently swinging John's hand in his. His eyes drifted back to the looping basketball. "And I know you are too, but I don't know what you can do. Yet."

The boy glanced upwards again, eyebrows raised pointedly.

Dragon
Jun 11th, 2008, 08:08:41 PM
John had been wondering about Ridley, ever since he'd overcome the initial shock and been capable of wondering. Of course it wasn't a sure thing, mutation never was, but with Ridley's pedigree, it seemed likely.

But he almost shied away from his son's questioning eyes. Clarity knew - knew very well - that he'd always been reticent about his gifts. Even when he gave a demonstration for his classes, he never showed them everything.

He briefly glanced toward Clarity, looking for - he wasn't sure what. Permission, maybe. Assurance.

"Well... it's a little difficult to explain. Do you know what ch'i is?"

Ridley's face wrinkled in thought, and he said, "I know what chai is."

John laughed and sank down on one knee again. "Chai is very good. But this is something different. Have you ever seen - like in karate - people who could smash through a whole stack of concrete blocks? Or lie down on a bed of nails without getting hurt? It takes a lot of practice and exercise to be able to do things like that. But it also takes a proper understanding of your body's energy - physical, mental, and spiritual. You have to be able to focus that energy, to drive it into the blocks, or hold it between your back and the nails. That flow of energy is always moving. That is your ch'i.

"All people have it. But because of my mutation, I can draw on my ch'i to make myself stronger, faster, and more durable. I can turn my spiritual energy into a physical force."

Ridley Rhee
Jun 11th, 2008, 08:30:45 PM
Ridley blinked, then stared at John blankly. It all sounded vaguely like Star Wars and he wasn't sure if he understood how it worked.

"Oh." The boy said slowly. His eyebrows shot up. "So you can break through bricks? How many of them? Ten? Twenty? A hundred?!"

Dragon
Jun 11th, 2008, 08:41:50 PM
John opened his mouth - probably to say that wasn't how he measured his gift, that violence wasn't the focus - but Ridley's boyish enthusiasm was just too much to resist, and what came out was,

"Well... I've done six inches of plate steel before."

Ridley Rhee
Jun 11th, 2008, 09:11:00 PM
There was a pause before Ridley let loose an awed breath. His eyes were bright with admiration. If John had been cool before, he was now firmly resting somewhere in the realm of superstardom.

"Wow." Ridley shook his head and then looked at Clarity. "How big is that, Mum?"

Clarity hmm'ed and spread her hands apart in estimation. "About this thick."

The boy laughed gleefully, absolutely enthralled. Just then the basketball rolled off the court, bumping to a stop on Ridley's shoe. He bent and picked it up with both hands. The girl who'd been playing with it smiled as she walked over to retrieve it, nodding at John cheerfully.

"Hi Professor Rhee!" She greeted, taking the ball from Ridley with a smile. "Thanks buddy."

"You're welcome!" Ridley chirped. "I'm Ridley. He's," A little thumb jerked in John's direction. "My dad."

In his pride, Ridley didn't notice that the girl nearly choked on his announcement. She smiled awkwardly then excused herself, returning to her solo game with frequent glances their way.

Completely ignorant, Ridley clapped his hands and rubbed them together. "Okay, what now?"

Dragon
Jun 16th, 2008, 02:59:10 PM
John could only smile helplessly and mouth the word "later" - he knew he'd be facing a full inquisition from Andrea come his Monday afternoon session with her. Probably before then. News traveled so fast on campus he was amazed the X-Men were still a secret.

He still didn't know what he was going to tell everyone - or how he was going to tell it.

But there would be time for that later. This was Ridley's time.

And things would never be the same again.