PDA

View Full Version : The Happening

Dasquian Belargic
May 20th, 2008, 05:36:45 AM
This is the next movie from M. Night Shyamalan. Here's the theatrical trailer

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BRZ0u01KwQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

http://www.thehappeningmovie.com/

It's coming out in June and looks pretty interesting. As usual, the exact nature of the plot isn't obvious from the trailer... some kind of apocalyptic event is affecting the US, forcing Mark Wahlberg and co to go on the run.

Rutabaga
May 20th, 2008, 06:42:54 AM
I've seen the trailer in the theater a couple of times, and it's very eerie and effective. Although M. Night Shyamalan's last couple of movies have been weak (especially Lady In The Water), this one has hooked me, and I will probably be going to see it.

Darth McBain
May 20th, 2008, 12:42:39 PM
Looks pretty good. I like Night's stuff (I haven't seen Lady in the Water - maybe that's for the best...), this looks like it has potential.

CMJ
May 20th, 2008, 12:46:22 PM
If what I've heard is true....the twist is gonna be rather lame.

Banner Laverick
May 20th, 2008, 01:09:24 PM
I will only see this if M. Night appears at the end and says "What a twist!".

Dasquian Belargic
May 20th, 2008, 01:12:49 PM
It makes me think of the CIA 'mind-control' program

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MKULTRA

Rhianna
May 20th, 2008, 01:53:52 PM
I love all his stuff..

I actually liked Lady In The Water, kooky as it was. :D

I'm definitely there..

Mu Satach
May 20th, 2008, 05:54:37 PM
I will only see this if M. Night appears at the end and says "What a twist!".

AND they all start dancing... there must be dancing.

General Dan
May 20th, 2008, 07:33:00 PM
He hasn't made a good movie since Signs so I could go either way I guess. Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs were all great.

Batdude
May 20th, 2008, 09:10:04 PM
Actually upon rewatching that trailer it doesn't look nearly as crap as Village and Lady in the Water, which both looked lame from the get go.

I'll go see it.

Mercure
May 21st, 2008, 10:57:06 PM
I've always had a soft spot for Marky Mark. I'll probably see it. If we ever get it, that is. :grumble

Jedi Master Carr
May 22nd, 2008, 06:14:22 PM
It also looks very gory and bloody which is weird for his movies. I saw the red band trailer and one guy gets run over by a corn plow.

Miranda Tarkin
Jun 15th, 2008, 03:06:23 PM
Did anyone see this movie? I am curious to the reaction since I haven't seen it, but I was told what the twist was at the end and yeah, M. Night Shyamalan lost his last chance :|

Rutabaga
Jun 15th, 2008, 03:13:48 PM
I don't think there's so much a twist as just the explanation for what's happening is kinda loopy. I was going to see it until it started getting the horrible critical reviews, and the WOM is terrible too. So instead I went and saw The Incredible Hulk. Which was really really good. :)

It's just sad to see how M. Night has lost his touch. :(

Jaden Luka
Jun 15th, 2008, 03:21:01 PM
I haven't seen it yet, although I might, simply because of the reference to the bees: Doctor Who has been making random comments about the bees disappearing all through Season 4. :lol

From the trailer, it looks weird. Seen it trailed before a number of films, and it just doesn't do anything for me. I think its probably one of those things that I'll wait until someone I know buys the DVD. It could be one of those fantastic films that'll surprise me, but I'm not sure I wanna spend all that money on tickets and popcorn if its an unknown quantity.

Planning to go see The Incredible Hulk next week though. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 15th, 2008, 04:18:09 PM
Did anyone see this movie? I am curious to the reaction since I haven't seen it, but I was told what the twist was at the end and yeah, M. Night Shyamalan lost his last chance :|

I don't think M Night has lost his last chance as a director, but I think he needs to direct other people's stuff. He just can't write anymore.

Miranda Tarkin
Jun 15th, 2008, 04:22:42 PM
Touché! I can accept that.

Park Kraken
Jun 15th, 2008, 08:41:48 PM
I saw the movie. I think it needs to be re-rated from a Horror film to a gory drama film.

It almost appears of, instead of taking the usual in-your-face-all-of-a-sudden horror, M. night tries to take a slow-horror approach, although it didn't really work out that well.

Definitly just a one-night DVD rental kind of movie, IMO.