PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars, LotF, Invincible

Park Kraken
May 17th, 2008, 11:45:44 AM
The final book of this series, book nine ends it with excitement and quite a bit of sadness too. I sniffled a few times while reading through this book, and while I don't think it's the best one of the series, it's definitly not as bad as some of the ones I've read.

Okay, spoiler time.

*Casualty Report*

Prince Isolder: Killed by Jacen Solo, via a snapped neck from a force grip.
Jacen Solo: Killed by Jaina Solo after a grueling lightsaber duel.
Cha Niathal: MIA and presumed dead after the final battle in the book series.
Zekk: MIA and presumed dead after the final battle in the book series.

*State of the Galaxy Report*

Well, the Sith outside of Jacen don't get involved, they just sort of disappear from the series. Jacen allies with the Imperial Moffs though, and the Moffs, through using a new nano virus that targets and kills according to specific DNA, try to take out both Tenel Ka and Allana, plus they seed Mandalore with it to try and take out Boba Fett and Mirta Gev. In the former case, Jacen warns Tenel Ka and Allana to get away in time, just before he is killed by Jaina, and in the latter case, the Mandalorians learn in time, but they can never go back home.

Oh, and the new Chief of State is Admiral Daala.

New novel announced to be released 12/30/08. Star Wars: The Millenium Falcon, takes place after the war (don't know how long) and the description says that Leia and Han, along with the adopted grandaughter Allana (she is 'adopted' by Han and Leia from Tenel Ka, who doesn't wanter her daughter to be put in harms way that much in the Hapan royal courts), go on a journey to discover the origins of Han's legendary ship, and along the way they stumble across a threat not only to themselves but some nameless new enemy that wants to devour the Force itself, blah blah blah, and maybe this is where the Sith remant comes into play.

Tri'ahna Zylary
May 18th, 2008, 06:58:58 PM
Bah... I'm still waiting for my copy which according to Amazon is at least already in the mail ...

But I read all the spoilers on the SW.com forums because I was just too curious. Not that a lot of them make sense but it's been entertaining, to say the least.

I'm rather curious to see what's going to come next...

Tri'ahna Zylary
May 20th, 2008, 04:09:54 PM
Got it, read it and....

... :mneh

It's not the best of the lot. It felt horribly rushed, and I guess the pre-set page limit has a huge lot to do with that. I have no idea why they thought they needed to keep this one under 300 pages! It would have benefitted greatly had Denning been allowed to give his protagonists some space to develop.

Not saying it's entirely bad - but... to me it reads like a rush job. And it does not fit in with the rest of the series, somehow. Not that the series was all that coherent anyway at times - seeing that it was penned by three authors who basically used their allotted book space to go off-tangent with their own preferred characters. I actually quite enjoyed the first three books, and I can't even tell when the series lost me (although it was probably Luke's fault :p). But somehow this ending is just the crowning bit of incoherence, as characters' motives are left unexplored and there are some truly fishy and eyebrow-raising actions and opinions displayed that do not seem to fit the mold even Denning himself put his characters in before, nevermind those he carried forth from Traviss and Allston.

Oh well. Another series over. Let's move on to the next - and hope it's better.

Dasquian Belargic
May 20th, 2008, 04:11:17 PM
Book nine? The rest of the series wasn't great and yet you still read it all?

Alpha
May 20th, 2008, 04:48:07 PM
Just finished this one too, and I agree. It felt a bit rushed. Though I am curious where they go from this one.

Nya Halcyon
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:45:15 AM
I've got a rule: If it's Star Wars, I read it. No matter.

Actually, you can just about say that about any book, magazine, leaflet, flyer, paper, etc - if there's something written on it, I read it.

But I'm collecting SW books. It wouldn't do to have only one or two books of a series - I need to have all. And if I buy them so my collection is complete, I might as well read them.

And honestly - I didn't think the series was as bad as the last one. Or some other stand-alone books. It has entertainment value.