PDA

View Full Version : To Make the Punishment Fit the Crime (Banner)

Dragon
May 16th, 2008, 11:51:55 PM
Continued from here (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18045).

The first thing John did was to hurry Banner to the clinic. Burns like the ones covering the girl's arms were no laughing matter. Fortunately, Duncan was in his office and was quick as always to provide his unique healing touch, though he made it clear he would have preferred to keep Banner another hour for observation.

"I'm afraid this can't wait," John insisted. "I'll have her back to you within a half-hour."

Reluctantly, Duncan released his patient, and John led her back to his own office.

It was, as always, a tranquil space. The light was dimmed by the bamboo shades over the window, and the traditional furniture and Joseon ink painting on the wall complemented the muted earth tones of the mansion's architecture.

John closed the door behind them and motioned to the armchairs and coffee table where he usually did his student counseling. But this time he didn't offer to pour tea for his guest.

"I'd like you to tell me exactly what happened out there."

Banner Laverick
May 17th, 2008, 12:09:51 AM
"I started a fight? With the janitor?"

It seemed pretty simple to her - had no-one interfered, she'd still be out there with Issachar. Destroying half the school and endangering most of the student body.

"I figured an adult would actually, you know, KNOW how to use their powers, but I guess not."

Dragon
May 17th, 2008, 12:15:31 AM
Her bluntness came a surprise, but John wouldn't be thrown off-track.

"Your honesty is refreshing. I hope you'll be equally straightforward about why you started a fight."

Banner Laverick
May 17th, 2008, 12:26:20 AM
"Because I don't want to be here, and I don't know how to get out, I guess. You know," she shrugged. "You get these powers, and life is all fine and dandy. Then your mother finds out you're a super-hero and loses it, sends you far far far away from your life. It's frustrating - I already know how to use my powers, and how to keep them in check. I don't need to be here."

Dragon
May 17th, 2008, 08:43:09 AM
John nodded, but his face didn't soften by a single degree.

"I see. So you don't get your way, and you throw a tantrum. And this demonstrates your maturity and your command over your abilities."

Banner Laverick
May 17th, 2008, 10:47:38 AM
"Yes, exactly. Look, are you going to punish me, or what? I have enough lectures to listen to during my classes..."

Banner folded her arms across her chest, staring blank faced back at him.

"I'm a 16 year old girl who has had all of the good "normal" 16 year old girl things taken away. Yes, I am not happy and yes, I threw a fit. That has nothing to do with my "command" over my abilities. Would you rather I keep it in, let it fester and then release it in the form of a fist in some kids face? I didn't even hit that guy that hard."

Dragon
May 17th, 2008, 11:51:27 AM
John returned her stare unblinkingly. It was clear she was determined to be unteachable. But he wouldn't let her go that easily.

"You obviously don't have control. If keeping your powers in check depends on Banner Laverick being happy, then you don't have control, any more than Issachar does."

John's thick eyebrows lowered precipitously. "To be honest, if you don't want to be here, I don't want you here. But you are here. And both of us are going to have to deal with that for the time being."

He paused for a moment in thought. "When's your last class today?"

Banner Laverick
May 17th, 2008, 09:59:58 PM
"It was just before the fun in the hallway. I had a half day today because I have cramps."

She sighed, long and loudly, blowing her bangs up into the air. "If you don't want me here, and I don't want to be here, then what the heck is the problem? I leave, get a job and start my own life. End of story, right?"

Dragon
May 17th, 2008, 10:16:42 PM
"Simple. You're still a minor, your mother enrolled you here, and we are legally and ethically responsible for you. I could have you expelled."

He watched her carefully, and, as expected, she didn't tip her hand.

"But frankly, until you at least show yourself capable of some discipline, I don't feel comfortable doing that, either. You can be sure I will speak with your mother, about the incident, and about why she sent you here. But in the meantime..."

He leaned over his desk and skimmed over a schedule sheet.

"Mr. MacLaverty wanted to take another look at your injuries. At four o'clock, you will meet me at practice room seven. Dress to move."

Banner Laverick
May 17th, 2008, 10:38:58 PM
"Fine. Can I go now?"

She didn't bother waiting for an answer. Banner was already on her feet, leaving his office with a loud slam of the door.

She didn't go to see Goat Boy either, instead going straight to her room to send a quick (but vague) email to Felix. The rest of the afternoon she spent in bed, waking up with just enough time to get to practice room seven. Five minutes late.

Dragon
May 18th, 2008, 01:32:25 PM
The door was open, and John stood in the center of the room, which was a bit larger in every dimension than a racquetball court. He was dressed in his white gi and was barefoot, and his eyes were closed and his hands clasped behind him.

"Come in, and shut the door," he said. He didn't open his eyes until Banner had done so.

"How are you feeling? I hope you're not still suffering from cramps?"

There was the slightest touch of irony in his voice.

Banner Laverick
May 18th, 2008, 09:17:43 PM
"I'm fine."

Fine. The perfect way for every female, homo sapien or superior, to express their displeasure at the males of the species without actually saying what was bothering them. Banner was dressed in a pair of loose fitting track pants and a non-descript brown t-shirt, the same outfit she'd just worn in bed mere mintues earlier.

"Let's get this over with."

Dragon
May 18th, 2008, 11:01:41 PM
"Oh, I'm as eager for that as anyone," John replied. He took a few desultory steps over the competition markings on the floor.

"I understand you did some independent police work before coming here. Or perhaps you'd prefer the term 'super-hero.'"

The internal quotes were plain to hear in his inflection, isolating the word like a pair of tongs held at arm's length. He turned to look appraisingly at Banner.

"Tell me, what do you think of yourself as a fighter?"

Banner Laverick
May 19th, 2008, 06:45:44 PM
"Well, I think I can handle myself pretty okay. It's not like I was fighting other mutants, or other super-strong people."

Once again, she folded her arms across her chest, as if that would deflect any negative energy or comments.

"I'm strong. I can fly. There's a reason Superman has those powers - cos they rule."

Dragon
May 19th, 2008, 07:02:48 PM
"Hm."

He continued to circle Banner, eyes narrowing.

"You are strong," he conceded, "and you've obviously been practicing your flight. But your technique is sloppy and your instincts rudimentary. You got burned pretty badly. Did you fail to notice the heat waves rolling off of him, or were you just that clumsy?"

Banner Laverick
May 19th, 2008, 07:26:13 PM
"I noticed, I just didn't really care at that moment in time."

She turned, following him with her eyes as he paced around her.

"Flying is easy. Fighting isn't my forte, but I can hold my own. I always hold back, and never hit as hard as I possibly can."

Dragon
May 19th, 2008, 09:00:47 PM
"A real fighter never does. She hits as hard as she means to. Strength without purpose is like waves on the sand. It accomplishes nothing of value."

Now that he was between Banner and the door, he stopped. His face was stoically blank, all but his eyes, which seemed to be laughing.

"Your mother was right to pull you out of super-hero work, you know. You've surprised your enemies. You've intimidated them. You're lucky none of them ever fought back. You never start a fight you can't finish."

Banner Laverick
May 19th, 2008, 09:21:49 PM
Banner shrugged. "Probably. If I wanted to, I think I could finish most fights..."

She had turned to face him, a sour look on her face. She had done just fine on her own, and his attitude was starting to get on her nerves.

"Are you going keep talking, or actually teach me something? Does it make you feel big to belittle me, because that's not going to motivate me to do anything but kick your butt."

Dragon
May 19th, 2008, 09:28:02 PM
John held her eyes for a few moments. And then he smiled.

"You're welcome to try."

He pulled a small, silvery key off a ring from his belt and threw the ring in a corner. Then he locked the door from the inside.

"You are free to leave this room," he said, "when you unlock that door with this key. How you go about it is up to you."

He closed his right fist over the key and held it behind his back.

Banner Laverick
May 20th, 2008, 11:39:53 AM
She opened her mouth to speak, but quickly shut it. A glance around the room didn't help any - no windows, and the walls were likely reinforced enough to keep her from punching through them...So she stood there, feeling like an idiot, thinking of a plan of attack.

Dragon
May 20th, 2008, 12:21:30 PM
John stood motionless, perfectly content to wait as long as she cared to.

Banner Laverick
May 21st, 2008, 07:56:05 PM
"Oh screw it!"

A fist cracked against his jaw as she lunged at him, hitting her teacher with as much force as she could muster. She followed with a punch then a knee to the gut.

Dragon
May 21st, 2008, 08:54:09 PM
But John wasn't in the path of the fist - he slid to one side and deflected her follow-up punch just enough to throw her off-balance toward the wall.

He didn't bother counter-attacking. He only backed away toward the center of the room, watching her cannily.

Banner Laverick
May 26th, 2008, 05:59:27 PM
This song and dance continued for what to Banner seems like forever. Ever punch, kick, whatever, missed, and she ended up on the floor, against the wall. Finally, she settled down, resting her face on her knees, leaning against the door.

"If you wanted to aggravate the crap out of me, and make me feel like a total newb, mission accomplished."

Dragon
May 26th, 2008, 08:14:37 PM
John stepped back and folded his hands behind his back, keeping the key tightly concealed.

"It's a start," he said. "But we're not finished yet. Do you know why you've failed so far?"