PDA

View Full Version : The 10 Most Terrifying Video Game Enemies Ever

Dasquian Belargic
May 15th, 2008, 02:59:27 AM
This gave me a laugh, maybe some of you will get a kick out of it as well.

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->www.cracked.com/article_1...-time.html (http://www.cracked.com/article_16247_10-most-terrifying-video-game-enemies-all-time.html)

:shakefist Daaaaamn you, water in Sonic 2!

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->

Morgan Evanar
May 15th, 2008, 10:07:21 AM
No Silent Hill or System Shock 2? This article fails.

Dasquian Belargic
May 15th, 2008, 12:16:48 PM
I find the water in Sonic more scary than Silent Hill. :mneh

Peter McCoy
May 15th, 2008, 12:18:29 PM
I assume they're just joking around. I concur with Morg.

Dasquian Belargic
May 15th, 2008, 12:21:35 PM
I think the point of the article is not that these enemies are bone-chillingly scary in a 'creep up on you in the dark and make you soil yourself' way, but knowing that you're approaching them in a game makes you frantic and anxious. They're all the kind of enemies that will cause you the most frustration - hence my hatred of the water in Sonic. I think back to playing that game as a kid and how much those damn water levels frustrated me, how many times I threw the controller to the ground and was ready to stamp on the game cartridge :mneh

Freight Train
May 15th, 2008, 02:47:32 PM
I'm with Jen. These things flipped me the hell out when I saw them coming (especially the white whale in Bubble Bobble). Plus, I could see this as being a silly throwaway list for laughs, so either way, it works for me.

Razielle Alastor
May 15th, 2008, 03:32:18 PM
OMG - the terror of Sonic running out of air, the music.. nary a bubble in sight! AHHHHHHHHH.... :o

yeah...:rolleyes

Mercure
May 15th, 2008, 03:40:33 PM
God, Sonic. If it wasn't the water it was those bloody oil refinery levels. Just when you think you're at the top, you go sliding allllllllll the way back down. :shakefist

Dasquian Belargic
May 15th, 2008, 03:42:56 PM
OMG - the terror of Sonic running out of air, the music.. nary a bubble in sight! AHHHHHHHHH.... :o

yeah...:rolleyes

I hope you aren't being sarcastic! :twak

Morgan Evanar
May 15th, 2008, 11:07:29 PM
I never found the water "terrifying". It was frustrating and irritating, sure, but not terrifying.

Now monkeys in System Shock 2? Those are terrifying. Aliens in AVP? Terrifying.

Rhianna
May 16th, 2008, 05:10:26 AM
I hope you aren't being sarcastic! :twak

Dasquian hit meeee! -tattles- :cry

..and yes I was being serious! Things like that give you ulcers.. that and the constant tick-tick-tick of Perfection winding down preparing to explode little plastic yellow shapes all over the place... :eek

awful...

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 16th, 2008, 09:26:37 AM
Yeah, the monkeys from SS2 were the first things I thought of when I saw the thread title.

The things that really got to me were the crocodile/water monster things from the first Resident Evil game. I actually had to stop playing when I got my first glimpse of them, and haven't played that game since.

I have a real love/hate relationship with Silent Hill 2; I love playing it, but it scares the dickens out of me when the static on the radio starts up, and you can't see the monster coming at you through the mist.

Dasquian Belargic
May 16th, 2008, 09:36:07 AM
In terms of being actually terrified, I think The Cradle in Thief: Deadly Shadows still holds the crown for me. All of the Thief series scared me in some way, but that level... urrrgh. I couldn't sleep after playing it. BioShock had quite a few moments like that too.

Damien E. Dervish
May 16th, 2008, 09:43:24 AM
How about the enemies from The Suffering? Creep city. I swear to God, I saw things after playing that game, and seeing the hallucinations and flashbacks and stuff. A creepy game to play at night. But there is small consolation in knowing you're just as screwy as the psychotic monstrosities that represent different forms of death on a prison island. After all, the standard enemy, the Slayer, was a representation of both decapitation and being shanked, having it's head held on by shivs? Though the graphics were not spot on, I must say that they somehow added to the game.

The Tyrant on Resident Evil 2 on the second scenario also creeped me out a bit. Slow as molasses, but nearly indestructible? And no music at first, just the thudding of his massive, booted feet, then this horrifying music as soon as your bad-camera-angle catches sight of him? Scary. Easy to unload on, but scary nonetheless. And sometimes, the Lickers on the second scenario came at unexpected times, getting a jump outta me, before I murdered them.

And the humungous, double-bladed chainsaw wielding Dr. Salvatore from Resident Evil 4, who is I think unkillable save for Krauser's arm transformation strike. He's fast, can jump platforms to chase you, and doesn't stop swinging the damn thing. One hit, head falls off in a fountain of gore. And a shotgun blast only makes him take a half step back at best. Guy's a beast.

Crusader
May 16th, 2008, 06:47:40 PM
The sorrow in MGS 3: First you have to dodge all the spirits of the enemies that you have killed until this point and then you touch the Sorrows dead body and you instantly die and your first thought is what the hell did just happen here.
I must admit that I had to look the solution for this one up on the internet.

Peter McCoy
May 17th, 2008, 11:39:30 AM
Damien, the dual-chainsaw guys is killable. Ideally you want the sniper rifle and get a headshot, that'll sort him depending on your current firepower, or a few shotgun shells to the head. Any other location is a waste of ammo.

SS2 - I swear, everytime I hear a monkey screech I back into a corner and take stock of where my exits are. You know you're playing a gem of a game when it's a noise that makes you stop and think 'Oh God!". Same goes for the metal clang of the midwives walking around, or the weird electronic babbling from the cyborgs. And I HATE HATE HATE spiders so you can imagine my reaction when I hear that god-awful hissing! I bolt it to the nearest bulkhead or ladder! To this day I can't seem to figure out the best attack to use on those damn spiders!

General Dan
May 22nd, 2008, 06:20:57 AM
Shodan > *