PDA

View Full Version : A study in Mutant Education (Cullen's, etc)

Stern
May 7th, 2008, 07:04:40 AM
It's an education class. It's a MWF without the F. Two hours out of the week! How cool is that?

Stern kept thinking about what his roommate had said the semester prior. It was an introductory class on teaching, designed to initiate would-be teachers into the dark, tumultous world of teaching in the public school system.

So naturally, Stern wasn't learning anything.

Most of the time he sat in the back corner with a notebook and a pen, working on philosophy or literature. It didn't matter how he participated in the so-called "class." The teacher nearly always accepted any answer any student gave him.

GPA booster indeed.

Until one day (it was a Wednesday), the teacher managed to put a hook in his ear with their next long-term assignment.

Investigate a topic that has been difficult to address in the current school system. Write a paper and prepare to present your findings to the class.

The students were immediately buzzing about special needs children, children from broken homes, discipline in the schools.

No one seemed to take interest in the obvious topic: Mutants in the public school system.

Perhaps that one was just too controversial.

"Time to shed some light on the situation," Stern said, and wrote himself a note in the margin of the notebook.

That evening at work, Stern turned to good friend Google and got the contact information for Cullen's School for the Gifted. It wasn't too far from campus by bus or car, and he did have Fridays off. It had been hard for the sophomore to arrange all TR classes, but it had been worth it.

Once he pulled up the relevant information, he sent an e-mail to the person in charge of campus visitation, etc.

Dear Sir/Ma'am,

My name is Michael Stern. I'm a sophomore at ESU, currently with undeclared major. This semester I am taking an introductory course in Education, in which the professor has assigned the topic of researching a controversial topic that the school system has difficulty addressing.

Being a person who experienced high school as a mutant, I have first-hand experience about the difficulties involved in being a mutant in school. I wanted to spend a good bit of my time researching this project on one solution that has done a better job addressing the problem of mutant education than most: Cullen's School for the Gifted.

I think it's no secret that the school was founded specifically for mutant children to learn, and I wanted to see the school for myself.

Granted, I think most people would find an approach that integrated mutants with the rest of human kind, but at the moment, Cullen's certainly strikes me as the best solution given the current social circumstances.

I would like to see the school when it is in session. It would be more helpful to me to see how the classes are actually run. I was hoping to visit on a Friday within the next two or three weeks.

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convencience.

Sincerely,

Michael Stern

"Here goes nothing," He said as he clicked the SEND button. Now there was nothing left to do but wait.<o:p></o:p>

Natalia Fedorov
May 8th, 2008, 07:34:03 AM
There was only a days delay in a reply arriving.

Mr. Stern,

In response to your request, the administration of Doctor Cullen's Institute would like to extend to you an open invitation to our school. Arrangements have been made for you to shadow a member of the teaching faculty, who will provide you with a tour of the schools grounds and provide you with access to a number students and staff members who you may question.

I have enclosed directions and details of transportation links to the school. We look forward to your arrival.

Two weeks later...

Friday morning classes were coming to much-welcomed end. Sunlight was streaming through the classroom windows and the last thing any of the students wanted to think about was how to correctly conjugate a verb. When the dinner-bell rang, they were on their feet in seconds. As they stampeded towards the door, Professor Fedorov sighed.

“Remember,” she called after them. “Monday, test. Use your weekend wisely!”

She glanced down at her watch; five minutes to go. She packed up her bag and departed for the schools entrance, where she was to meet Michael Stern. As she stepped out into the sunlight, her body shimmered, her business-like teaching attire being replaced by a summer dress and sandals.

Stern
May 8th, 2008, 07:53:11 AM
Michael Stern stepped off the bus a few blocks away from the Cullen's Institute. His attire was somewhat business casual. Since his mutation, his skin seemed to change its mind on whether or not he was pale or tan.

The best he could tell was that his tan indicated a "full charge" while pale skin meant he was "running on empty." It had taken him awhile to realize that his powers were dependent on sunlight.

Today was a "full charge" day, which meant Stern was veritably bronze. Therefore he had gone with a set of khaki pants and a black button-down shirt. His belt, socks, and sneakers were all black.

The bright sun required Stern to wear his tinted goggles. In fact, the only time he didn't wear them was when he slept or in pitch darkness. His eyes had grown extraordinarily photo-sensitive over the years as his mutation developed.

Stern stopped in front of the school's main entrance, taking in the look of the campus from the street. It was pretty. ESU was a nice school, but the campus was big and sprawling. This smaller campus would have suited Stern much better.

In a few minutes Stern noticed a woman in a dress and sandals walking in his direction. He adjusted his backpack (where he always kept his notebook), and prepared to introduce himself.

Natalia Fedorov
May 8th, 2008, 08:05:25 AM
“Michael Stern?”

When he responded, Natalia smiled politely and they shook hands. The school had given her no physical description of her charge for the day, so she was pleased that they had found one another so quickly.

“I am Natalia Fedorov. Welcome to Dr. Culllen's.”

Stern
May 8th, 2008, 10:52:43 AM
"Thank you, Ma'am. I appreciate you having me. So what happens first?"

He followed her past the front entrance towards the buildings that made up the campus.

"This is a beautiful place. It's exciting to be here."

Natalia Fedorov
May 8th, 2008, 07:00:58 PM
“First, we will pick up your visitor pass. You have some kind of identification, yes?”

As they entered the school proper, they saw scores of children moving through the corridors. The entrance hallway seemed to be a busy thoroughfare, with students moving in all directions. Natalia led her guest to the front desk, where he could pick up his pass for the day. The clip-on I.D. was already made and waiting. She gave Michael a moment to set himself in order before speaking once more, her Russian accent now all the more obvious.

“Lunch is for the next forty-five minutes, then I have two more classes. First, foreign languages; second, ethical studies. There is free period between classes, when I can take you to see other professors, or to interview students. I can take you now to the cafeteria if you like, to eat and discuss what you would like to learn today?”

Stern
May 8th, 2008, 07:15:28 PM
Stern produced a driver's license and his student ID. Once he recieved his guest badge, he clipped it to his shirt.

"Lunch is good. I can speak to some of the faculty over lunch and then talk to the students during the free period. Or vice versa."

Stern was quick to notice the school looked like most schools in many ways. There were rooms clearly marked for certain classes and teachers, but there was a notorious absence of lockers.

"I heard the students actually all live here on the campus? And the teachers as well? How does that dynamic work out?"

Natalia Fedorov
May 8th, 2008, 07:24:53 PM
“Yes, this is true. The living areas are divided into male and female wings. Staff have a separate area to stay.”

Natalia paused, side-stepping to avoid a rather large student approaching from the opposite direction. His body was made of what looked like stone and with each step he shook the ground beneath him. When he spotted Natalia, he gave what she looked to be a craggy smile.

“It's not so bad. There is a curfew for students and most of them keep to it. Of course there are some who do not appreciate rules, but that is always the case. With so many of them together, mischief is inevitable.”

Stern
May 8th, 2008, 07:32:01 PM
"Naturally. Super-powered kids who are encouraged to learn and use their powers. Someone's bound to be up to shenanigans."

Stern waved at the rock kid. "Wouldn't want to square off against him in football."

Stern bumped shoulders with a young woman and felt a small static shock.

"So class happens all day like at other schools, I guess. Or is the schedule arranged more like a college campus? Do kids choose areas of study specifically, or is it more like other high school curriculums?"

Natalia Fedorov
May 8th, 2008, 07:44:54 PM
“Ah...”

Again, she paused. Natalia was not exactly an expert on the American education system. She was not a teacher by profession, after all; her background lay in the military. She'd left school when she was only sixteen.

“Generally, we try to encourage students in areas that they are already strong in... sports, academics, everyone has their talent. The older the children, the more freedom they have in their studies. Some classes are compulsory, such as those designed to help them gain control of their powers.”

Stern
May 8th, 2008, 07:49:13 PM
Stern nodded. "Is there any chance that I might be able to sit in on or participate in one of those classes? I think that would be the icing on the cake for this project."

The cafeteria was close. Stern could smell the food. He wondered what it would be like. Maybe it would be better than the food they served at his high school and maybe even his college. Or maybe it would be the same old stuff.

"I reckon the teachers and faculty sit together, apart from the students?"

Natalia Fedorov
May 8th, 2008, 08:04:17 PM
“Sometimes... not always. In an environment like this, staff and students can become close quite easily.”

The dining hall was vast, though by no means full yet. There were groups of students sat together and, apart from them, there were lone diners who appeared older than the others, most likely teachers. They joined the line with the others, each picking up a dinner tray.

“I think it should be okay for you to join one of the mutation development classes later this afternoon,” she added.

A factoid that John Rhee had shared with her sprung to mind, and she decided to share it.

“They can be a little... volatile, but the school gymnasium has been adapted to accommodate for any mishaps.”

Stern
May 8th, 2008, 08:11:32 PM
Stern shrugged. "Volatile comes with the territory. Learning limits is always dangerous."

Stern turned the tray over in his hands a few times while waiting in line. "So what's your special ability?"

Natalia Fedorov
May 8th, 2008, 08:21:09 PM
Natalia smiled a little; the question was inevitable. She turned back to face Stern, and as she did so, it was as if her body rippled like water disturbed by a pebble. In an instant, he entire appearance had changed, so that she looked absolutely identical to Michael. When she spoke, her voice was his, right down to the American accent.

“It's not as dangerous as some – and what about you, Mr. Stern?” she asked, her appearance reverting once more to its normal state. “What is it you do?”

Stern
May 8th, 2008, 08:28:13 PM
Stern shook his head and blinked a few times. He even pulled up his goggles and rubbed at his eyes before putting the protective lenses back on.

"I generate light. You can't tell during the day or in a brightly lit room, but I actually glow a little in the dark. I can also project beams of light from my hands like a flash light, and if I cup my hand I can focus the beam a bit to burn things, like some kids do with a magnifying glass."

Stern tapped at his goggles. "My eyes are also very photo-receptive to the point where I can't take these off unless I'm in near total dark. If I shine bright enough, I can blind myself, so that's a problem."

Stern chuckled. "My hair is clear, and I grow paler the less energy I have. I think my skin actually turns translucent when I project beams of light, but I can never tell."

Stern pulled some silverware from their respective containers and grabbed a small stack of napkins. "The hair and the eyes happened a year or two ago. My pupils kept getting bigger and bigger and my hair looked like a poor dye job until suddently it was no longer brown. I found out it was clear when I was experimenting with the color spectrum. Apparently I can manipulate light that way too."

At last, it was time to get food. "It's hard for me to test if I can handle the invisible spectrum of light. You know, UV rays and such. Kind of makes me wish I had been able to come here as a student. Maybe I'd know these things."

Natalia Fedorov
May 9th, 2008, 09:58:04 AM
It was a unique power, one which Natalia had never encountered before. From his description of what he was capable of, Stern was fortunate to have survived it seemingly unscathed.

“There is always time to learn more about yourself. You're never too old for that.”

Natalia picked out a green salad, some bread rolls and a bottle of water. She glanced at Michael as they made their way to the dinner tables.

“Some of the faculty arrived here without understanding their abilities. Everyone is offered help, as long as they are willing to ask for it.”

Freight Train
May 9th, 2008, 11:09:45 AM
"I hear some kids came here without asking for it," chimed in a voice from behind. Freight Train had been listening in from behind Stern in line, and caught up to the pair now to throw in her two cents, whether they were needed or not. "There's this one red-headed girl who won't shut up about it. Then there's the kids who came here because they felt like they didn't have a choice."

Stern
May 9th, 2008, 11:13:57 AM
"Yeah?" Stern asked the girl. "What do you mean, they felt like they didn't have a choice? I'm Stern, by the way."

Stern looked down at his tray as he took a seat at an empty table. It turned out he hadn't been paying terribly close attention to what he was taking for himself and wound up with steak and gravy, orange slices, spinach, and some sort of dessert that he guessed was a pudding.

"How do you feel about the school?" he asked.

Freight Train
May 9th, 2008, 11:21:01 AM
"Freight Train," she responded. "Uh...they came here because they felt like they wouldn't be accepted anywhere else? Like, they didn't have any other option?" She cracked open her little milk carton and cut off a piece of her own steak and gravy with a fork. "School is school. It's boring like normal school, has class and gym and crap like normal school, but I live here, so I get to be bored of school all the time." She shrugged.

Natalia Fedorov
May 9th, 2008, 12:17:28 PM
Natalia sat quietly, listening to the two of them chatting. What the 'Freight Train' girl had said was very true. Everyone had their reasons for being at the institute, some more willingly than others.

“Some of the children do not embrace their identities as mutants, they carry with them the prejudices of society... but with time here, most overcome these misconceptions.”

Nuro Alston
May 9th, 2008, 02:00:41 PM
If you asked Noru what he was, he wouldn't call himself a mutant. Matter of fact, if you asked him who he was he wouldn't give any direct answer. As philosophical as he was playful, Noru thought deeply on the idea of identity since he was just a child. Powers were simply one facet of his complicated psyche, and being surrounded by all these other mutants only made his identity-crisis more thought-provoking. Although quite comfortable in his own skin, Noru was beginning his coming of age chapter in his book of life and didn't have his old certainty that he knew who he was.

Conflicted, just like everyone else, Noru calmly strolled down to his table. One of the few new students, he hadn't created any relationships as of yet and rather sit by himself. The young man was sure that he looked interesting, so hopefully someone would come his way. However, he didn't notice that his table had already been taken. Overwhelmed with the noise of the cafeteria, he barley recognized the voices to his left. Slicing his attention up with his surroundings and vegan meal, he eased into his eavesdropping zone.

A glance, and he found a small bunch chattering about misconceptions. Two of the three he hadn't seen before, but Natalia was a more familiar face. If his memory was working right, he had her class on his schedule. With a quick shuffle through his name files, he waved politely at her with a pleasant smile.

"Ay dere Miss Fedorov..."

Stern
May 9th, 2008, 03:08:21 PM
Stern ate some spinach first, then started in on his own steak and gravy. "Ok, but what about you?" He asked Freight Train.

Another student sat down and addressed Natalia. He seemed like a nice kid, but also lost in thought. He decided to wait until the new student noticed him before asking any questions.

"Good food, though," he commented off-hand.

Nuro Alston
May 9th, 2008, 03:32:06 PM
For a second he watched the others as his hand dropped from his wave, thinking on his own food. He didn't mess with the cafeteria goods, too much meat for his taste. Plus, he was on a strict vegan diet that required his attention at all times.

Being health-conscious was new to him, and everyone that knew him. All his life he could eat whatever he wanted and his slim, Ethiopian physique wouldn't change. Before his switch in foods there hadn't been any obvious or evident alteration either, which only set them up for more shock at his sudden interest.

Yet, he still did eat, and get his water from the cafeteria. Even from his samples, he couldn't disagree with this new fellow. The food was tasty. Way better than what he remembered from his first semester at ESU. So, with little adieu he interjected, but oh so smoothly (as usual).

"Yea, it aint dat bad," he said, his Brooklyn accent showing, as he continued with a smile. "O--yah, m'names Noru (Nor-oo), Ms. Fedorvo prolly 'membas it from da role sheet. Kinda...diff'n, yaknow,"

Freight Train
May 9th, 2008, 09:59:48 PM
"Meh, food's okay. I came here after discussing it with my family. We decided that this would be the best place to work on controlling my powers, since they have facilities built to take punishment and my house is decidedly lacking in anything sturdier than concrete." She picked at her steak and gravy, bracing herself for the inevitable question of what exactly her powers were.

Stern
May 10th, 2008, 10:41:05 AM
"Noru and Freight Train. Got it. Well, back on the topic of sports and powers, I reckon you guys don't have teams like other schools do. So are there intramural sports here? Even the pick-up games have to be pretty intense."

Stern decided not to just up and discuss each student's power. If they wanted to divulge details they would. Plus, he figured he needed to know more about how they got along at the school. It was more about the way they felt about the school and their education more than what their gifts were.

Nuro Alston
May 10th, 2008, 11:59:04 AM
A precarious look took in that small empty space between his end of the table and the little groups cluster before sliding over to shorten the separation. A long with his move came a certain smile, reassuring the group he wasn't some sort of stalker or weirdo. One more cautious glance was all that was necessary before he took the newcomer's question.

"Eh, I think that'd be...uh, accurate," he said, over-emphasizing the thoughtfulness in his face. "I mean, I aint see dat much craziness...y'know, like ya expect ta see in my week 'ere--but! But! I've watched a game o' two and those gifts aint nothin' to play wit..."

Noru recalled one visit to the gym where some teleporter disappeared and reappeared between some fool's legs. Some smarty called "travel", but no one paid the kid any mind. Two seconds later another player was springing into the air, above the rim, before catching an alley-oop from the disappearing act. There was no word more fitting than entertaining, but it was evident that the frustration was obvious on the oppositions face. All those different abilities made the playing field just a tad bit uneven.

Stern
May 11th, 2008, 10:10:05 AM
"Besides that, don't you guys all live here on the campus? How does that work out?"

Nuro Alston
May 11th, 2008, 11:31:19 AM
"Well...fo' me, I live in a dorm room by m'self...nothin' special,' he explained, diverting his eyes from Stern to Freight. "What bout you?"

Natalia Fedorov
May 11th, 2008, 11:39:14 AM
Natalia was content to oversee the conversation in silence for now, as she enjoyed her meal. She was fairly confident that Michael wouldn't overstep any boundaries with the students - he'd been polite and reasonable in his requests thus far - but it was her responsibility, for now, to keep an eye on him.

Freight Train
May 12th, 2008, 04:52:01 PM
She heaved a sigh and pushed her steak around the plate with her fork.

"Three roommates. We all have separate rooms, and we have one bathroom per two rooms, so I share with one other girl. We have a common room with a little couch and a chair. I can't stand it, to be honest. They're loud and obnoxious and they just will not quit singing crap from High School Musical. Can't wait to be high school and have a say in how I live."

Nuro Alston
May 12th, 2008, 08:17:11 PM
A chuckle escaped his reserve as he listened to the young Freight Train complain about her obnoxious roommates. Noru never had to deal with anybody but his brother in his space, and he was the youngest of his three sibilings anyways. He was just happy to be there in every rooming assignment he had been in, except this one. Truth was, he was too lonely with his one man room.

"I feel ya...my lil' suite aint got anybody else in it -- but bein' assigned alone isn't exactly...exciting."

Banner Laverick
May 12th, 2008, 08:28:11 PM
"Being alone is great, it means you get a break from the Cullens zombies. You don't have to worry about anyone snooping in your things, teachers trying to get to you in some hokey "After School Special" kind of way, or the local pep squad trying to cheer you up."

The voice came from a red haired girl who was standing behind Ms. Fevorov. Her tray was about half as full as the other students, a sour look on her face as she walked passed.

"Some mutants do better on their own."

Natalia Fedorov
May 13th, 2008, 06:40:20 AM
Natalia did not need to turn around to know who was stood behind her. Banner Laverick had already gained some notoriety amongst the faculty for what some described as 'attitude problems'. For someone who was so confident in their ability to survive alone, she seemed rather keen on getting involved in other peoples business, letting them know how she felt about this and that. Natalia would have happily seen her removed from the school - her time in the military had given her no interest in pandering to those who clearly didn't want to be somewhere. In the end, however, it was not her choice alone who remained and who did not - it was a group decision, like everything else at the school.

“And some don't,” she said, breaking her silence at last.

“Not everyone can be blessed with self-sufficiency and confidence... you have to learn to walk before you can fly, hm?”

Stern
May 13th, 2008, 12:31:17 PM
Plate cleared at last, Stern pushed it a little away from him.

"But that's why the school was founded, right? To give mutants who have a hard go of it a place where they can come to grips with who they are in a safe and comforting environment. So when they go out into the real world later, they can do well. And not blow up buildings when they sneeze."

Stern looked at the clock on the far end of the dining hall. "Class is soon, right? Anyone care to divulge their favorite subject in front of Miss Fedorov?"

Freight Train
May 14th, 2008, 06:39:37 PM
"Cato's history class," Freight Train answered, easily and comfortably. She didn't care who knew about her favorite teacher, seeing as the entire faculty had students who they blatantly favored. "That lady makes everything cool as hell. She makes it relevant to us mutants."

Banner Laverick
May 14th, 2008, 09:27:58 PM
“And some don't,” she said, breaking her silence at last.

“Not everyone can be blessed with self-sufficiency and confidence... you have to learn to walk before you can fly, hm?”

"Then they can come here and be babied, and the rest of us can go about our business."

She gave Stern a shrug. "I like study hall, only because I get to chat with my boyfriend on the library computers. He goes to a different, normal school, but he's a mutant like all of us here."

Stern
May 14th, 2008, 09:31:54 PM
Stern tried to decide if he should angle in for any personal questions. The likes and dislikes of the school were one thing. Naturally kids might hate the classes, or living arrangements, or love having free use of their abiltiies, but this seemed very personal. He leaned back in his chair and folded his arms.

"Well," he began, the next question only half-formulated in his mind.

Fortunately for him, the school bell rang, signalling the end of the lunch period.

"It looks like it's time for class. I guess I'll be shadowing your foreign languages class, Miss Fedorov?"

Nuro Alston
May 15th, 2008, 09:42:41 AM
Noru slipped out of his chair, sliding his hands in his pocket after throwing his bag over his shoulder. He didn't care to divulge too much as the others spoke. It was clear enough attitude was in the discussion for him to intervene. Maybe that was the other side of him - silence, because it was certain there was a talkative facet to his personality.

"Well I'll be shadow'n too...maybe dis time I wont be almost late."

Natalia Fedorov
May 16th, 2008, 09:46:14 AM
To Michael's question, she replied with an air of casual nonchalance: “If you like. I am sure that any of the other staff would be happy to have you observing their classes.”

With that, she got to her feet and gave Stern an expectant look. His visitors pass would give him the freedom to sit in on most any class he could find. Which he chose, she supposed, all depended on which he'd be able to get the most out of.

Nuro Alston
May 16th, 2008, 12:23:22 PM
Noru gave a smile to Ms. Fedorov as she spoke before returning his look to Stern.

"You can sit next to me if y'want - aint no prob, yaknow? Plus, itsa betta view."

More often than not, Noru was either in the front or the back of the class. He didn't like being lost in the jumble in the middle. No one ever notice him when he raised his hands, and he only got himself in trouble with his excessive chatter.

Stern
May 16th, 2008, 07:00:23 PM
"Sounds good. I'll go to your class, then afterwards I might find another subject of note."

Stern put his things away, following the other students to the place to drop off dirty dishes. "I don't reckon a person with water capabilities cleans all these?" he asked with a sly smile.

Nuro Alston
May 16th, 2008, 07:56:09 PM
Noru stood back, he didn't pick-up his lunch--he packed it--so no need to clean his plate.

"I wouldn't be surprised--saw some blob thing play'n janitor a days o so back."

Banner Laverick
May 18th, 2008, 09:26:07 PM
Banner waved a dismissive hand as the bell rang. "Sorry kids, but I have my favorite class this period. I don't think you'd find me surfing the internet all that interesting..."

Freight Train
May 19th, 2008, 06:38:02 PM
"I've got a little extra time before class, but hey, maybe I'll see you guys around?" She waved to Stern, Banner, Noru, and Professor Fedorov as she addressed them. Good to meet you, Goggles. Sunshine, try to brighten up. Later, Brooklyn. And uh, Professor, have a good class."

Stern
May 19th, 2008, 06:56:35 PM
Goggles? Stern relfexively checked the seal on them when she said that. "Never been called that before."

He really meant it. His mutation occurred after high school, and he wasn't the only one to wear tinted eyewear indoors and out. Some people at college thought he might have had some kind of drug addiction, but a bit of carefuly explaining sorted all that out.

"Indeed."

The foreign language class was typical of most he had seen in other schools. Verb conjugation, noun declension, vocabulary. Stern sat in the back next to Noru.

Professor Federov had no trouble keeping the class in line with her apparent military discipline and efficiency. One of the students tried to stealthliy stretch his arm along the floor to pass a note to another student, but was intercepted by the teacher at the last minute.

The bell rang to dismiss the students. Stern had written down everything he gleaned at lunch and made notes on the class as it progressed. He thanked Natalia for her time and the chance to sit in on her class.

Then, trusting his visitor's badge to get him out of trouble with the administration, he set off in search of a teacher who didn't have class. He was going to try to trouble them for an interview.

Evelyn Cato
May 22nd, 2008, 08:58:06 PM
Her own class having been finished for ten minutes, Evelyn allowed herself a few moments of quiet to idly stare over the expanse of now-empty seats before her. It had been another enjoyable morning for her, and she smiled in satisfaction; yes, coming to Cullen's had been a very good idea.

What little in the way of actual teaching materials she had was placed in a soft leather shoulder case, and closing the flap, she hoisted it up onto her shoulder. A warm cup of tea seemed the best end to the mid-morning, and perhaps even some time outside on the grounds reading.

Navigating her way to the door, Evelyn stepped out into the hallway.

Stern
May 22nd, 2008, 09:07:52 PM
Stern wandered about the halls, looking at the posters on the walls advertising one social event or a schedule for intramurals. The classrooms themselves were also of interest. Stern noted the names of each teacher and the subjects taught.

Looking to the left and the right, Stern didn't pay much attention to what was in front of him. It wasn't until he saw something out of the corner of his eye did he turn to face forward. He was about to run into something or someone. The college student turned just in time to suddenly move out of the way.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I guess I didn't see you there. I was just reading the classroom placards. This place offers such a wide variety of subjects. Hi, I'm Michael Stern."

Evelyn Cato
May 26th, 2008, 01:11:51 AM
Thoroughly engrossed in her own thoughts, Evelyn gave a startled gasp at the sudden appearence of the young man who'd seemed to materialize out of nowhere in front of her.

His apology and the offering of his name made her smile though, and she gave him a gracious smile.

"Hello... " her eyes took in the visitor's pass, and she tilted her head to one side, regarding him with an easy gaze.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Michael."

She gave a nod.

"Evelyn Cato."

Stern
May 26th, 2008, 10:17:30 AM
Goggles. Michael. Lightbulb. Most of the nicknames were normal, but not often used. Even lessused was his first name.

"Nice to meet you, Ma'am. I was wandering around for a bit. "

He gestured at the visitor's badge. "I'm just visiting for the day. One of my classes at ESU wants me to do a study on a controversial topic related to education. So I'm checking out Cullen's. Spoke to some of the students in the cafeteria. Would you happen to know if any teachers have some free time in their schedules now? I would like to get a teacher's perspective on the school and being a mutant educator."

Stern chuckled as the phrase played back in his head. "An educator that is a mutant, as well as being a person who teaches other mutants."

Evelyn Cato
May 27th, 2008, 09:39:45 PM
Evelyn smiled at his choice of wording, shifting her leather carrier to her other shoulder.

"Well," she started thoughtfully, "I suppose that I could ask around.

"Though if you need a teacher right this moment, I'd be happy to provide any insight that I can. I've finished my classes for the day and was thinking of enjoying the afternoon with a cup of tea."

She inclined her head.

"Care to join me?"

Stern
May 27th, 2008, 09:47:28 PM
"That would be nice. I have to admit, though, I'm not much of a tea drinker. I've had one cup of really bad Chai, some Earl Grey with my dad, and one mug of green tea when I was sick last fall."

Stern shrugged. "Well, I guess I better open with the basics. What do you teach? How do your special abilities help you teach (if they do at all)? Is it more challenging keeping a group of super powered children in line than normal children?"

He chuckled. Ms. Federov was no slouch about her class. It would be interesting to see Ms. Cato's perspective.

Evelyn Cato
May 29th, 2008, 09:20:44 PM
She was quiet as they walked, thinking over the questions he'd asked. He had certainly come prepared, no doubt.

They rounded a corner, and continued on.

"Well," she started slowly; a stark contrast to the rapid pace in which he'd started his line of questioning, "I teach ancient history, though it's not exactly in keeping with the normal courses that other schools would taech on such a subject. It's more a course in mutation and ancient cultures with a minor slant on theological tendencies."

The two passed through a rather unassuming door that led to the bright outdoors. Evelyn brought in a deep breath, savoring the fresh atmosphere before heading across the grounds.

"Now as for my own abilities and whether they help me teach, I would have to venture that they do indeed."

She paused for a moment to consider how best to explain.

"I suppose you could call it immortality, though I prefer to think of it as having a good relationship with time. I've been around the world more times than I can count, and have been able to take part in many different civilizations."

She gave Michael a grin and a sidelong look. "It's very enlightening.

"And as for the students themselves, it is far easier to hold their attention, as my class is about them and those that came before them."

Stern
May 29th, 2008, 10:03:25 PM
The ESU student nodded. "I would expect longevity would help to teach something like history. So I guess the theological slants have to do with the gods like Thor and Zeus."

Faith nowadays was a volatile subject. Considering most pagan gods were no longer worshipped, it was no surprise to him that some might consider the myths of the gods to be based on ancient mutants.

"Things that can more directly relate to a student tend to hold the pupil's attention better."

"Is there a particular structure or order to the classes? Is there a particular focus on Western history, or do you also study Far Eastern history as well?"

Evelyn Cato
Jun 1st, 2008, 12:49:23 AM
The grounds weren't quite as lively due to students being in class, but there were still a few about.

Looking up at the cloudless sky, Evelyn thought for a moment.

"That is something I allow the students to dictate. I act more as a guide that is willing to take someone where they wish to go. No one wants to learn about something that they are required to know, and if they are, their interest and the quality of their work is sub-par.

"But, if they are encouraged to learn about that which they enjoy, and possibly find a connection with, then their work is given such a life. They are excited to learn as much as they can about their chosen subject."

She led him along a rather meandering path that took them slowly in the direction of her own apartment. She wished to return her case, as well as prepare her tea.

"I let them focus on whatever past civilization they wish. If it is one that I was a part of, than of course I help whenever the occasion arises, but I am only one person, and cannot be in two different places at once."

Stern
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:20:00 PM
"That's fun. Student autonomy can be a powerful help in a classroom."

They arrived at the building that Stern supposed was meant for teachers to live.

"Which civilizations were you part of?" Sure, he was trying to do research for a paper, but he was also very curious.

Evelyn Cato
Jun 1st, 2008, 02:29:56 PM
Such a question elicited a chuckle from her as she opened the door to the complex.

"Oh heavens, there's been so many."

Evelyn pursed her lips as she thought, leading him through the front entryway and past the elevator.

"Rome, Egypt, Sumeria, and I did some wandering among the Celts to name a few. I travelled quite a bit through early India, and lived with the Mongols for a time as well."

Continuing on down a side corridor, Evelyn stopped at the last door and paused, unlocking it with ease before turning the knob.

"I keep meaning to put it all down to paper," she opened the door and gestured for him to enter first, "... but it's a rather daunting task."

Stern
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:30:28 PM
"I can only imagine," he said.

He followed her past several doorways.

"Rome must have been interesting. The advent of Christianity, Nero, Caesar Augustus. You said Celts, also? What was that like?"

Evelyn Cato
Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:50:27 PM
Pausing in the dorrway to her home, Evelyn gave him a blank look as she took herself back so many years.

"It was... "

How to describe such a people?

"It was exhilerating. The Celts were a wild people, capable of inflicting savagery with one hand while allowing the most tender affections with the other."

A smile, and she bade him enter.

Stern
Jun 3rd, 2008, 08:45:44 PM
"Sounds like something a person could enjoy. You don't get too much of that nowadays. The wildness, at least. Mostly you just get people being extraordinarily irresponsible and calling it being spontaneous and wild."

Stern stepped into the room and suddenly found himself wishing he could whistle. "I see you kept some souveniers. How many museums know about this? You have half the Museum of Natural History right here in your living room."

Evelyn Cato
Jun 4th, 2008, 07:59:22 PM
Lofting an eyebrow, Evelyn half-smirked while giving an absent wave of her hand to her belongings.

"No museums know of anything that I have. It is best if they did not anyhow."

Her leather shoulder pack was deposited upon the couch, and she made her way into a small side kitchen to begin preparing her tea.

"Now. What other sort of questions do you have?"

Stern
Jun 4th, 2008, 08:08:38 PM
Not knowing what else to do with himself, Stern extracted his notepad from his backpack and jotted down some notes about their conversation to that point.

"Well, you said your class was sort of free-form. The students choose the topics. I was wondering about class schedules, syllabi, and lesson plans. This place seems like a high school run like a college. Do you make your own class schedules? Is there a lot of preparation for your classes? How do you decide on homework assignments?"

Evelyn Cato
Jun 5th, 2008, 08:40:56 PM
"Well, as far as how the school operates, it must be taken into account the nature of those who have found themselves here. The varied age groups present require a rather different approach in regards to how the institute approaches its' student body. We have to be mindful that a child who is twelve will not wish to be in a class that is geared toward the higher levels of learning.

"As such, when composing the learning material all of that has to be taken into account, and schedules made according to such variances."

With the kettle on the stove and a small cup ready on the counter, Evelyn leaned against the wall.

"I've not been here for very long, but from what I have seen it is a mutual cooperation between the students and the teachers. As an educator it is our duty to those we teach, but at the same time our own gifts must be nurtured alongside our responsibilities.

"Which isn't to say that everything is differently run here. We still prepare for classes and assign homework the same as any other school around the world."

Stern
Jun 6th, 2008, 12:06:18 PM
Stern wrote a line or two. He leaned back on the sofa to think some more about what he wanted to say when he remembered. "I ran into a fan of yours at lunch. A little girl who says you have the best classes."

He chuckled. "Well, it seems like the students here tend to have a larger involvement in their education as a whole if things are like you say. Flexibility of schedule and such, in some classes choosing their topics."

Stern put his pad and paper down and shone a small light on a suit of armor. Despite its age, it still gleamed a bit. "So what's for tea?"

Evelyn Cato
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:56:10 AM
He must have been talking of Freight Train, as Evelyn could think of no other 'little girl' that she had anything more than a passing acquaintence with. She gave a hrm, but said nothing more beyond the matter.

Out of her peripheral vision she noted his gaze shifting to the suit of armor that stood stiffly at attention in a far corner of the main living area. It had come from a time that most would call the Dark Ages, but Evelyn herself considered that particular period to be, while very much devoid of scientific practicality and advancement, an era all its' own. Every culture and period was unique no matter its' deficiencies.

"For tea," she repeated slowly, "... it is nothing special. Just a simple blend of herbs that help to clear the mind and relax the body. It is good for thinking, I have found."

But tea was far from her foremost thoughts, as the display of his gift had drawn her attention well enough.

"Your gift. It is illumination?"

Stern
Jun 9th, 2008, 10:31:24 AM
"To put it fancy, yes. I generate light."

Stern's skin pigments changed slightly and his hair suddenly flushed purple. "I can break visible light into its colors, but not much more. I can glow brightly, focus the beams a bit, but there's not a lot of apparent usefulness."

He accepted his tea and sipped it slowly, acclimating himself to the taste. His hair turned white-blonde again.

"My eyes are also highly photo-sensitive. I can reduce my ambient glow to the limits of my eye sensitivity, so it doesn't quite hurt. I shower in the dark just so I can wash my face."

He checked the seal on his goggles. "People thought I was wierd for walking around at night with my goggles on my face, but streetlamps provide way more illumination that most people think. Ray-bans don't do a good enough job keeping out the light. it can still get in around the glasses, so I have to keep these sealed around my eyes so nothing gets through."

Evelyn Cato
Jun 10th, 2008, 08:47:01 PM
There was a delicacy to his gift, the way he described it, and she moved to sit beside him on the sofa. The sight of his manipulations was a beautiful thing to see. Of course, Evelyn always took a particular delight in seeing the manifestations of others' powers, and this was no different.

"The way you talk of it, you seem proud and worried about it at the same time."

Stern
Jun 11th, 2008, 12:55:32 PM
Stern sipped his tea again. "It's a part of me. I have always liked myself."

He rotated through the light spectrum, R.O.Y.G.B.I.V. "There's so much about light that is a mystery. It has particle and wave properties, there's Ultraviolet light, microwaves, radio waves to an extent, laser light. I read in a physics book that light also has some kind of electro-magnetic properties under certain conditions."

Stern forgot what he was doing for a moment and took a larger gulp of the tea. The sudden warmth of the beverage and the unfamiliarity of the taste caught him offguard and he nearly choked. Luckily he swallowed the drink without too much trouble and hoped he did a good enough job playing it all off as clearing his throat.

"Some mutants powers evolve their entire lives. If I tried hard enough, could I bend the invisible spectrum? How would I know what I was doing? I don't even really know where the light comes from. The way most light seems to be generated, I'm surprised my body hasn't consumed itself trying to supply energy for the reactions needed or that I haven't burned myself up and everyone around me like some kind of human sun."

He took a gentler sip of his tea. "There's a lot that's still mysterious."

Evelyn Cato
Jun 12th, 2008, 07:42:13 AM
"Such is life."

It was said with a ghostly smile, and Evelyn lifted her own cup to her lips, taking a sip.

"You're not enrolled at this institute; is this of your own choosing?"

Stern
Jun 12th, 2008, 09:59:16 AM
Stern looked down at his cup. Half full. "Well, my mutation started with a simple manifestation of light. The hair, the eyes--those came later. Like I said before, it's hard to notice that I project any light at all during the day."

He laughed. "When my hair started to lose pigment, people thought it was a really bad dye job. My hair lost pigment at the root, so it looked like someone had dyed the hair around my scalp and left the rest. I had to get a high and tight just so I could lose the brown."

Why hadn't he enrolled?

"Well, Cullen's is a private school. I didn't know much about it, but my parents for the most part didn't want me to go. I don't think they understood what this place is about. I eased them into the fact that I was a mutant as my appearance changed. They took it ok. Mostly I didn't consider Cullen's until college, but last time I checked, this is really a high school. I haven't been able to find any indication that this place offers University level education."

Evelyn Cato
Jun 16th, 2008, 07:08:46 PM
Evelyn nodded at his explanation, and the way he spoke of it. It was a unique first manifestation to be sure.

Holding the cup gently in one hand, she looked off into the distance for a moment, mulled over his latter words.

"It is my belief that Cullen's institute will only give back what you put into it. Outward appearences are often decieving, and it's always worth a second, more indepth inspection."

Stern
Jun 16th, 2008, 07:37:33 PM
Stern sipped the tea. It was still warm, but still much cooler. It was no small wonder people suggested tea was good for a body. It was an inherently slow drink. You couldn't drink tea if you were rushed. Thinking back on the large gulp he took earlier, it tasted like an extraordinarily hot mouthful of nothing. Sipping it allowed him to taste the beverage.

"This is nice," he said, swirling the cup. "Indepth inspection was part of the idea of doing this field study today. As for putting more into it, I was wondering if I could participate in a mutation development class. Do you know when those take place?"

Evelyn Cato
Jun 16th, 2008, 08:12:34 PM
Evelyn shook her head.

"I'm afraid that I do not. I haven't been here long enough to know the exact ins and outs of the institute just yet, but I'm sure it's not a hard thing to find out about."

Another sip, and she smiled at the aftertaste it left.

"If you would like, I may know someone who can help you get that sort of information. We can take a walk about and find him, if you'd like."

Stern
Jun 16th, 2008, 08:26:12 PM
Stern nodded. "I would like that. I'm not sure how much of it I would be able to include in my report, but that is one of the more extraordinary features of Cullen's. It wouldn't be right not to do some research on it. Besides, it'll be fun."

Evelyn Cato
Jun 16th, 2008, 08:32:58 PM
"Very good then."

One final drink, and her tea was gone. Standing, Evelyn made her way into the kitchenette and deposited the empty cup into the sink.

"It would be a learning experience for myself as well, since I've not been able to delve into that aspect of Cullen's quite yet."

Stern
Jun 16th, 2008, 08:35:52 PM
Stern followed her to the sink and rested his cup in the basin.

"Then we shall both have an adventure this afternoon. So, who are we looking for?"

He retrieved his notepad and replaced it in his backpack. He shouldered the bag and stood by the door.

Evelyn Cato
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:54:41 PM
"I only know a few of the professors here, but I think any one that we happen upon would know of such a class. It's highly possible that we'll find Professor Rhee or Professor Bertrand out and about today."

The trip from her apartment to the outdoors was a mostly quiet one, and as they stepped out into the sunlight, Evelyn found herself giving Michael a sidelong look. He was certainly correct, in that it became near impossible to detect any sort of illumination from him while in the raw sunlight. Inside it had been like a soft, everpresent glow; but outside it became indistinguishable.

Stern
Jun 17th, 2008, 09:54:52 PM
Stern held up a hand and looked at it as they walked. "You know, I can never really tell how my mutant powers get their energy. I figure it must be some kind of odd photo synthesis or other method of absorbing the energy from light. My powers seem to fade in sustained darkness."

His skin tone seemed to be in some kind of flux. When he was in the apartment his skin seemed to be more pale. Now outside, his skin darkened dramatically.

"I suspect my extraordinary tan signals that my body has absorbed all the sun energy it can. Then my skin pales to allow me to project light. Or something. I know melanin is a natural sun-blocking agent, but I don't know if it works in reverse and keeps my mutant light from getting out."

Stern took a look around. "What do Professors Rhee and Bertrand look like?"

Evelyn Cato
Jun 27th, 2008, 07:34:03 PM
She let her eyes roam the grounds around them.

"They are both rather unmistakeable in their own ways," she answered idly. Perhaps not the exact type of answer that Michael had been hoping for, but it seemed fitting enough to Evelyn.

"Whether we happen upon only one or both, it will be obvious enough I believe."

Dragon
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:44:52 AM
John Rhee was, at the moment, emerging from one of the Institute's practice rooms with a student, a willow girl with strikingly white hair. John had a bandage wrapped tightly around one hand, and he gingerly tucked it underneath his opposite arm as he turned to close the door.

"You're really doing well, Andreia - you're making excellent progress."

The girl smiled half-heartedly "Thanks," she said. And then, with a wince, she added, "I'm really, really sorry."

John shrugged, then tried to cover the twinge of pain from his hand. "Oh, it's nothing Professor MacLaverty can't fix in a minute. It's not even frostbitten."

Andreia didn't quite look convinced. "I tried to stop it... I guess I need more practice."

"You're doing just fine," John replied. "It was my own silly fault for reaching in like that. Keep working on your own, and I'll see you the same time next Friday. All right?"

She nodded, still abashed. "All right. See you, Mr. Rhee!"

She turned and immediately collided with another student coming the other way - Andreia yelped in surprise and tumbled, and as soon as her hands hit the floor, the entire surface was coated in frost. One teenaged boy found his shoes frozen to the floor, and several others started slipping uncontrollably on what was essentially now a skating rink.

John helped Andreia to her feet and was careful not to touch her hands. "Ah... don't worry. It'll melt fast."

Once he'd cleared the hall of students, he shuffled carefully to a maintenance closet and pulled out a couple standing yellow signs: CAUTION: SLICK FLOORS.

Stern
Jul 7th, 2008, 06:54:04 AM
Stern continued to walk with Cato a while, keeping an eye out for someone or something extraordinary. In a school of mutants, he figured it shouldn't be too hard to find. They crossed the garden and had just stepped into the school building again.

Stern felt his shoulder impact someone, then he was on the ground.

"What? Stern slipped around as he regained his footing and helped Cato back up, taking care to remain in some kind of rooted stance on the ice. Once she was up, stern looked around to see what was the matter.

All there was left, it seemed were a bunch of retreating students, Cato, and a man with a cold-damaged hand placing caution signs.

"Sir, are you all right? What happened here?" He asked.

Freight Train
Jul 11th, 2008, 08:02:52 PM
"Ice Queen's powers spazzed out."

Freight Train walked easily across the ice, which crunched and broke beneath her feet as she walked with purpose across the patch. She was dressed in a red basketball uniform; the outfit she had designated specifically for this powers class. She stood with hands on her hips in the sheet of ice, watching other people struggle to keep their footing.

"Hooray, forceful feet! I'm walking on the floor, and not the ice," she boasted. "What'd you do to deserve powers class punishment, Goggles? You mess up Cato's class?"

Dragon
Jul 12th, 2008, 12:39:02 AM
As he placed the last sign, John assumed a tolerant smile. "It isn't a punishment, Miss Wagner," he said. "Though we still have to talk about that incident in the cafeteria - oh, sorry, hello there."

He turned to reach out his uninjured hand in Stern's direction - his left hand, which made it a little awkward. "You must be Michael Stern from Eastern State? My name is John Rhee. I teach physical education and mutation development classes. I understand you'd like to sit in today."

Stern
Jul 12th, 2008, 08:11:42 AM
Stern easily turned his hand over to shake the instructor's hand. "Yes sir, I'm doing some research on mutants in the educational system."

He found his footing and grounded himself properly. "It was my hope to see one of the powers education classes at the least. Of course, being a mutant I was also hoping to participate and not merely watch. There's not terribly much that I can think to do with my powers at the moment and I wanted to see what I could learn about myself."

Dragon
Jul 12th, 2008, 05:37:35 PM
John nodded amicably. "Certainly! Though I do have to tell you, our group classes are only part of the instruction we offer - we also hold one-on-one sessions that are tailor-designed for each student. That way we can be sure each student is getting the individual attention he or she needs. We've also found it can be a much less intimidating environment for students who aren't yet comfortable using their abilities in a social setting."

Stern
Jul 13th, 2008, 02:12:10 PM
"I think I can manage the a group session ok. I'm not too worried about the other kids picking on me. Although I might try contacting you for a solo class during the summer if I can."

Stern looked over at Freight Train. "I didn't realize that you were attending this class. Are they fun?"

Freight Train
Jul 13th, 2008, 02:26:20 PM
She was so taken aback at being called by her given name in front of everybody that she couldn't even protest it. She fumed a little as she waited, and it colored her speech as she answered Stern's question.

"Fun? Oh yes, it's fun. Breaking things is very fun," she snapped.

Stern
Jul 23rd, 2008, 04:25:10 PM
Stern nodded. "Well, I'm not sure how much I will be breaking, but it'll be fun all the same."

He returned his attention to Dragon. "Sir, where do these classes take place?"