PDA

View Full Version : What If...? [Spider Fletcher Story]

Banner Laverick
Apr 29th, 2008, 12:04:47 AM
Hi.
My name is Ferris Fletcher. Everyone calls me Spider because I'm a mutant. I'm 12 years old, almost 13. A little young for me to be developing my powers. I guess it's cos of my parents that I got them so early. My mum and dad are both mutant super-heroes (American Girl and Magnet Man!) When they aren't saving the world, they're just like any other parents. Mum works part-time helping other families with mutant kids. Dad is a freelance graphic artist who's working right now for a video game magazine. Actually...they're probably the best parents ever in the history of the world XD

I didn't inherit any of their powers either, my powers are unique and special, just like me, I can climb walls (but I cant stick on to them for very long), have "hyper agility" and weird little web-shooters in my wrists. Just like Spider-man (who is my hero, right after my dad :D.)

When I first got my powers, they were pretty worried. When they got their powers, a lot of bad things happened. I don't know what exactly. Whenever I ask about it, they change the subject :-/ Must be something bad.

I used to go to "normal" school, untill I listened to my dads' advice on how to handle a bully. This big jerk was picking on some younger, littler kids...so I webbed him to the ceiling. It took 4 hours for the janitor to pry him off XD The principal ended up calling home, though. My mum picked me up, we drove home in total silence. She took me into the kitchen, sitting me down at the table. I hung my head, feeling my face flush redder and redder. I hate getting in trouble; the only way it could've been worse is if mum had mind-reading powers.

"Ferris, we talked about this."

"I know, but Mum! He was picking on those littler kids! Dad said..!"

"Yes, Dad said that you should never allow anyone to bully you or your friends," she sighed, brushing her red hair behind her ear. "You should defend your friends, but webbing a poor boy to the ceiling? Ferris Fredrick Fletcher, you know better!"

The dreaded triple F's. I was in big trouble. Maybe. I could see the corners of her mouth curling up into a smile, while she was trying to act mad at me. "There are other ways to "defend" people, that don't involve using your powers."

"You and Dad get to use your powers all the time! It's not fair! Why can't I be a super hero like you guys?" I could feel my face getting hotter - I was mad. It wasn't fair that they could say and do stuff, then not expect me to want to do it too! She just ruffled my hair, giving me that warm, loving Mother smile that makes everything okay.

"Ferris, you are only ten years old. You've just started to learn about your powers. As your mother, I would be worried sick if you went out patrolling the city and fighting bad guys, no matter what age you are. We've already told you, when you're older, you can do whatever you like with your powers. I promise." She kissed me on the forehead. "Now go wash up for supper, Dad'll be home soon. We can talk more later, okay?"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/mneh/Ferris.gif

Ferris Fletcher
Apr 30th, 2008, 11:06:03 PM
That’s when my parents decided I should be enrolled at Cullen’s Institute. My mum had been a student there when she was a teenager, and she knows a lot of teachers from working with them to help other kids with powers. Dad didn’t come with us for the tour. He always got this funny look, like he was thinking real hard about something, whenever we talked about that school. Mum would always give him extra long hugs when he looked like that, so I figured it was one of those unspoken grown-up things…<o></o>
<o></o>
The tour was okay. The lady who took us around, Mrs. Calaveras, was nice. Her husband and kids were on campus, which was cool. I met the gym coach, “Freight Train”, too. I thought she was a student cos she was short like all of the rest of the kids she was teaching. Mum told me about her on the drive there. For such a shorty, she was supposed to be a great basketball player. All I saw her do was yell a whole lot and make kids run drills – maybe that’s part of her powers?<o></o>

The idea of NOT being at home was a little weird at first. Who would keep Mum company and help her with chores? Who would beat Dad at video games? Watch Saturday morning cartoons with them? Who would lick the mixing spoons, drink the chocolate milk and eat the rest of the sugary cereal? You know, the things only I can do!<o></o>

BUT! I didn’t cry really when my parents dropped me off for my first day of school. My mum cried a whole lot, even though she’d see me a couple of times during the week when she came here for work. Dad looked like he was trying not to crush everything metal on campus. They made sure my room there was comfy, bringing all of my favorite things from home – my “web” sheets, my Xander bear (that I don’t sleep with anymore cos I’m NOT a baby. But I'm glad Mum packed him.) We put some of my favorite super-hero posters up, and a picture of all of us in costume for last Halloween in a frame by my bed. Mum made my costume to look just like Dads, but with WEBS! I still have it. You know, in case I ever have to save the entire world.<o></o>

When it was time to go to class, Mum cried even more. I thought she was gonna cry herself sick. Dad put his arm around her and looked sad, but he’s tough so he didn’t cry once. They both hugged and kissed me way too much before driving home.

<o></o> …Okay, I did cry a little. Only because my mum cried. :( Mums aren’t supposed to cry.

Ferris Fletcher
May 8th, 2008, 10:24:16 PM
"Hey! Itsy-Bitsy!"

Hoorah. I have a horrible nickname. It's not even a real one, it's just one of the many names the bullies here at Cullens' have for me.

I was standing in the hallway, waiting for my friend, Hana, who is a girl who can start herself on fire. She's only a friend, one of my only "real" friends I've got here. So I'm here, waiting, when I hear this moronic bellow. I roll my eyes, not bothering to look but I get shoved hard into the wall.

"Whatcha doin' Itsy-Bitsy? Waiting for your girlfriend?"

Dean is the biggest moron ever put on Gods' earth. He's a grade below me, but two years older. His power is even stupid - he can turn into dirt. Think Flint Marko, from "Spider-man" - funny, huh?

"She isn't m-ugh!" I get cut off with another punch to the stomach. He just laughs at me as I clench my fists and teeth hard. After the last fight I had with a bully, I promised I wouldn't use my powers unless I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO...but I was getting SO FED UP!

Just then, Hana appeared from around the corner. Hana is a year older, with sunny blonde hair and blue eyes. Eyes that were starting to narrow as she got closer to us.

"Leave him alone, Dean!"

He turned around, smirking over his shoulder at me. "OOoo, Feeble Fletchers' little girlfriend wants to protect him. How cute."

I could feel my face get hot, turning red from anger and embaressment. Dean had started using his powers, his body turning into a grainy brown dirt as he took a step towards Hana...

I remember thinking that I wished I had Mums' super strength or Dads' magnetic powers. But I realised, I got the best thing from both my parents - a quick mind and the worlds' second largest comic book collection.

"Hana, MOVE!"

I coated the water fountain with webbing, pulling as hard as I possibly could on my end. Apparently it was hard enough, because the fountain came crashing to the floor, a huge gush of water hitting Dean and wearing his body down into a smushy mud puddle. I ran passed him, grabbing Hana as I took off down the hall. We didn't stop running untill we reached the wooded area behind the school. I shot a web into the tree-tops, pulling us both up onto a large branch. She was crying, and I was too out of breath to say anything besides...

"Damnit."

Ferris Fletcher
Jun 15th, 2008, 04:34:09 PM
We stayed up in that tree for a long time, until the woods started to get dark. I helped lower Hana to the ground. She'd cried and held onto me most of the time we were up there. I did my best to comfort her, patting her back, telling her it would all work out.

I wasn't even sure if it WOULD work out. What if I had hurt Dean really bad? Or done worse? I would be in so much trouble. More trouble for ditching class and running away...All because I did what I thought was right. I made Hana promise not to tell anyone where I was. She bit her lip, nodded and ran off towards the school.

I spun a little sleeping bag out of webbing, hiding out in my little tree. My stomach growled. I was starving, but I wasn't going back. If I HAD hurt Dean, I figured they would've come looking for me by now. I wasn't really afraid of a punishment from school - Dean was a well-known jerk. At most, I'd get extra training sessions dumped on me. No, I was sure that if I went back, I'd have American Girl and Magnet Man to deal with. Then I'd be in real trouble...

My stomach had other ideas. It rumbled, gurgled and ached no matter how much I tried to ignore it. I had to eat.

I circled back. It was around nine o'clock, I hoped no-one was out wandering the quad. As quickly as I could, I managed to find my window - no lights on. Thankfully. One web line and a short climb later, I was inside. I let out a huge sigh of relief, turning to rummage in my desk for my secret candy stach when I heard it.

A very familar "AHEM", from an equally familar sillouhette. Grey mask with white lenses, metalic bands around the wrists, the grey and red costume I'd seen a million times in my life. I gave a sheepish wave, feeling as low as humanly (mutantly?) possible.

"Uh...hi Dad."
I was about to launch into an Oscar worthy speek about WHY I had run away, the fight and how I was defending myself AND Hana when he pulled his mask off. He ran a hand through his thick brown hair. Everyone has always told me how much I look like him - sometimes, like now, I can really see it. He gives me the look he always gives me when talk about my powers: His "I'm secretly proud of you but you're getting a lecture anyway." look.

"Your mother is worried sick about you. I can't fault you for protecting your friend, Felix, but even super heroes have consquences." He was sitting on my computer desk. I flopped down on my bed, frowning.

"Yeah, but I'm going to be punished for doing the right thing! It's not fair!"

"Sometimes things aren't fair. That's just how life goes."