PDA

View Full Version : Box office contest

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2008, 06:58:30 PM
I am trying to guage the interest this year for it? Last year we had good participation, but was curious if people were interested in it this year.

Yog
Apr 26th, 2008, 07:01:08 PM
I'd be up for it as usual. Question is if it just going to be me, you and CMJ playing... :x

It would be nice if more people were interested. Although, LD almost won last year. Maybe she is game.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2008, 07:03:12 PM
I'd be up for it as usual. Question is if it just going to be me, you and CMJ playing... :x

It would be nice if more people were interested. Although, LD almost won last year. Maybe she is game.

Yeah if it is just the three of us there doesn't seem a point. If a few other people seem interested I might do it. We would have to post it on Wed if we are going to do it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 26th, 2008, 07:07:12 PM
I'm up for it again. :dance

edit: Carr, if you can PM me (or post in the admin forum) a short announcement about the contest to try to drum up more interest I'll post it up in the general forums. Just something that explains it and invites people to play. Make it sound fun! ;) I think we can award a Supporter account to the winner like we did last year. We did do that last year, didn't we?

CMJ
Apr 26th, 2008, 07:38:42 PM
I don't have a Supporter account do I? :lol

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 26th, 2008, 07:47:42 PM
Hmm.

Good point. O_o

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2008, 09:20:41 PM
I'm up for it again. :dance

edit: Carr, if you can PM me (or post in the admin forum) a short announcement about the contest to try to drum up more interest I'll post it up in the general forums. Just something that explains it and invites people to play. Make it sound fun! ;) I think we can award a Supporter account to the winner like we did last year. We did do that last year, didn't we?

Well we were suppose to give that to the winner. I am not sure why it didn't happen. Let me come up with something tomorrow and I will give it to you. I have to find the rules from last year. I could then post the first week on Tue or Wed that should give people enough time.

Liam Jinn
Apr 26th, 2008, 09:22:44 PM
I wouldn't mind giving it a go this year, but I have no idea how to play this one. I'm gonna need a quick 'how to' before I get into it.

Atreyu
Apr 26th, 2008, 10:41:30 PM
I always want to join in every year, but I never seem to get around to it. Also, not being really up-to-date with what's coming out etc.

Maybe this year :), but yeah a simple 'Rules 101' would be nice to figure out how points are allocated etc.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 27th, 2008, 05:51:16 PM
I will get Yog to do that since the is the Master of the game. I thought he did a rules 101 last year. Let me get something worked up, I need to find the rules from last year too.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 27th, 2008, 05:53:53 PM
The 2007 Summer Box office contest rules
Here, are the rules for this year’s contest. If you have any question you may ask me or Yog.
Period of contest: 4th of May to 3rd of September

1. How to play: Each weekend, predict the order of the top 5 movies, and how much each film will make. To make sure people don’t make the same predictions, post your dollar figures to the nearest ten thousand, for example "25.58M" (25 million 580 thousand).

2. Movie Order Points: For every film you place in the correct order, you get 5 points. If you get #1- 5 right, you would get 25 points.

3. Accuracy Points: The closest person to each of the five films also gets points, and they are as follows;

# 1 - 25 pts
# 2 - 20 pts
# 3 - 15 pts
# 4 - 10 pts
# 5 - 5 pts

This year you don't have to get the movies in order. If you are closest to the #2 movie and picked it third you still get the points.

4. Double Points Weekends. Points are doubled on the following weekends:
* Memorial Day May 25 - May 28 All points are doubled.
* 4th of July 4th 8th All points are doubled.
* Labor day weekend August 31st - September 3rd
* Harry Potter weekend July 13-July July 15 All points are doubled.

5. Vacation rule: New to the Contest this year, we will only count the your top 12 scores. So, if you miss a week or two you won’t be out of it.

6. Deadline: All predictions must be in by Friday 10PM PST every weekend. On double points weekends, special deadline will apply. Please make sure your predictions are in before the deadline, however, we may look the other way if the estimates are not yet made public and/or it is obvious such results have not been seen.

7. Who can play? Everyone. It is fun! You may enter or exit the contest at any time or post predictions whenever you like, as long it is within the deadline.

8. The winner: The player with the most points at the end of contest, wins instant fame and glory (being worshipped by the all the BO forum posters) AND a Supporter account!
The rules from last year

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 27th, 2008, 05:58:53 PM
heh thanks let me work on and update the dates that shouldn't take too long. Would an updated version of that be enough? Or would rather go with something more catchy?

Yog
Apr 27th, 2008, 08:10:21 PM
Carr should have an updated version of the rules up soon. I will post a 'how to 101' tomorrow.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 27th, 2008, 10:07:43 PM
The 2008 Summer Box office contest rules
Here, are the rules for this year’s contest. If you have any question you may ask me or Yog.
Period of contest: 2nd of May to 1st of September

1. How to play: Each weekend, predict the order of the top 5 movies, and how much each film will make. To make sure people don’t make the same predictions, post your dollar figures to the nearest ten thousand, for example "25.58M" (25 million 580 thousand).

2. Movie Order Points: For every film you place in the correct order, you get 5 points. If you get #1- 5 right, you would get 25 points.

3. Accuracy Points: The closest person to each of the five films also gets points, and they are as follows;

# 1 - 25 pts
# 2 - 20 pts
# 3 - 15 pts
# 4 - 10 pts
# 5 - 5 pts

This year you don't have to get the movies in order. If you are closest to the #2 movie and picked it third you still get the points.

4. Double Points Weekends. Points are doubled on the following weekends:
* Memorial Day May 22 - May 26 (Indy comes out Thursday, so it will be 5 days) All points are doubled.
* 4th of July 3rd 6th All points are doubled.
* Labor day weekend August 29th - September 1st
* Batman weekend July 18th -July July 20th All points are doubled.

5. Vacation rule: New to the Contest this year, we will only count the your top 12 scores. So, if you miss a week or two you won’t be out of it.

6. Deadline: All predictions must be in by Friday 10PM PST every weekend. On double points weekends, special deadline will apply. Please make sure your predictions are in before the deadline, however, we may look the other way if the estimates are not yet made public and/or it is obvious such results have not been seen.

8. Who can play? Everyone. It is fun! You may enter or exit the contest at any time or post predictions whenever you like, as long it is within the deadline.

8. The winner: The player with the most points at the end of contest, wins instant fame and glory (being worshiped by the all the BO forum posters) AND a Supporter account!

Crusader
Apr 28th, 2008, 01:32:50 AM
I will join too. This year cries for some surprise hits so it will be funny to see who can make the better guesses.
Will there be any extra rules for surprise hits that score over 100 on the first weekend against all predictions?

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 28th, 2008, 06:15:36 PM
I will join too. This year cries for some surprise hits so it will be funny to see who can make the better guesses.
Will there be any extra rules for surprise hits that score over 100 on the first weekend against all predictions?

We have tried extra rules but they become too complicated sometimes. Unless Yog can think of something I can't.