PDA

View Full Version : Another Homecoming

Ethan Evans
Apr 9th, 2008, 07:59:44 AM
Just outside the gate to Doctor Cullen's Institute for the Gifted, there was a screech of tires as a silver BMW roadster pulled away, kicking dust into the air. A boy stood watching the car as it sped off into the distance. Once it was out of sight, obscured by trees, he turned and looked up at the building in front of him and began to walk up the driveway to the main entrance.

He wore the red and white letterman jacket of the Apple Valley Arrows and carried a duffel bag, slung over one shoulder. In spite of any anxiety he might have felt, he smiled – and why not, it was a bright and sunny day, with no breeze to be felt. As he strode up the graveled pathway, Ethan Evans walked with a confident stride, appearing convincingly certain of himself in spite of never having visited the Institute before. He looked around, across the immaculate green lawns, his blue eyes searching for any sign of life.

Jacinda Blake
Apr 9th, 2008, 08:17:05 AM
"Oh, what a beautiful morning! Oh, What a beautiful daaaaaaaaaay!!!" Came a slightly off key wail from the side garden.

"Oh, what a curious feeeeeeeeling! Carlos is really quite... Ommmfft."

The rest of the slanderous and hideous mockery of music was cut off abruptly. A skateboard went zooming up the sidewalk, devoid of a rider, rolling to a stop in the front of the mansion.

"You did that on purpose!" - guys voice..

"Did not, but you did deserve it..." - highly amused girl's voice.

Then suddenly, a blond girl in a daisy patterned sundress came running around the corner after the skateboard, she picked it up and tucked it behind her back.

"You told me to add some wind to your sails, yeah?" Jacinda teased..

Chris limped into view looking very affronted...

Ghost
Apr 9th, 2008, 08:28:15 AM
"Remind me to ask Professor Rhee to teach you the difference between a stiff breeze and a gail."

Chris dusted off his jeans and glanced back over his shoulder, muttering, "I think I excercised a little wind power of my own just then... oh, alright there!"

He greeted the boy who'd just reached them on the driveway, it was a face he'd never seen before and the bag suggested he was a newcomer to the school. He nudged Jacinda.

"Look Jas, fresh meat."

Ethan Evans
Apr 9th, 2008, 08:37:50 AM
Ethan waved and flashed a charming Hollywood smile. Even as he approached, it continued to light up his face - charming or smug, depending on which way you looked at it. His eyes were drawn to the girl, but he made a point of diving his attention between them equally, good-mannered as ever.

“Hey, Jacinda. It's been a while...”

Jacinda Blake
Apr 9th, 2008, 08:42:23 AM
Good mood gone.

For a single second, Jacinda couldn't move. Not out of any misguided past romantic nonsense. She was just afraid that if she did she would swing the skateboard at his all too charming smile, and knock his perfect straight, perfectly white teeth down his thoat. He had hurt her and they were done. End of the story.

"What are you doing here, Ethan?" She gave him a blank look, not even bothering to introduce him to Chris..

Ethan Evans
Apr 9th, 2008, 08:51:58 AM
“I'm looking for the enrollment office,” he said, letting the weight of the duffel bag ease off his shoulder a little. The icy reception didn't seem to bother him; he just took it in his stride, looking up at the mansion exterior as he continued: “Dad just dropped me off. He had to get to a board meeting, and I figured I could probably handle registration myself.”

He looked back down, to Jacinda and her as-yet unknown friend. “Would you show me the way? It looks like you could get lost here pretty easy.”

Anita Stern
Apr 9th, 2008, 09:09:08 AM
It was a rather gorgeous morning, and Anita Florence had taken the opportunity to 'smell the roses'...and think deeply about an upcoming series of lessons for literature class, revolving around one book. It was a favourite of hers, and she figured she could make it thrilling for the students, too. In any case, on her pondering walk, she eventually came up the side of the institute, appearing out front, just in time to overhear some mentions of registration, and seeing Jacinda first, then Chris, then...

Oh, yes. Broken bones boy...I read about you. She looked again to Jacinda, and grimaced slightly. That's tension you could cut with a chef's knife.

The resident librarian and brainiac stepped into the tense fog and spoke up, directing her words to the newcomer, hopefully giving Jacinda a little relief. She wrapped her arms around a few worn and loved tomes as she did so.

"Good...morning, Mr. Evans. I couldn't help but overhear you."

Anita flashed a kind and rather disarming smile of her own. She looked young enough to be a student, but that was not the fact. Without offering a hand as was generally the custom for greeting, she stepped towards the young man.

"I'm Professor Florence." She glanced down at the books she was carrying, then back at the boy. "Librarian, mostly. I would take it you know Miss Blake...?"

Damien E. Dervish
Apr 9th, 2008, 09:31:47 AM
Damien found himself perched in a nearby tree, burning up a few minutes of his not-so-busy schedule. And then he saw him. Newbie, nine o'clock. Damien laughed. The guy seemed perfect. And then he saw Jacinda's reaction to him. Hmmm, maybe not so perfect.... What should I do?

And then he saw Chris. And knew the fun would happen soon. He flipped out his phone set it to vibrate, and texted Chris.

"Chris, I'm in the tree directly in front of you, up top. Don't look! Wonderin' course of action for newb. I WAS thinkin' water balloon."

Damien flipped the phone closed, and waited for the message, all the while scoping out the new guy.

Ghost
Apr 9th, 2008, 09:47:22 AM
Chris was grateful for the beep that came from his pocket. He distanced himself from the drama, took out his phone and smirked. He replied:

Not the best idea with Professor Braniac present, mate. Save it for later. If he's hurt Jas, we'll make him squirm.

Damien E. Dervish
Apr 9th, 2008, 09:53:27 AM
Damien, upon feeling the vibration in his hand, flipped open the phone and opened the message with a black thumb. Almost instantly, he frowned.

"Aww MAN! U're rite. Not just a student w/ nice sweater puppies....damn. Oh well, can I dry run & scare da guy 2 def? looks like a pshova 2 me..."

Ghost
Apr 9th, 2008, 09:58:07 AM
Go for it.

He sent the message then rejoined the trio.

Damien E. Dervish
Apr 9th, 2008, 10:22:12 AM
A quick flip of the wrist, and the phone snapped open. He read the message, and his red eyes seemed to flicker for a brief second, right before he held the phone up, prepped the camera, and took a dive, his form easily clearing the tree and beginning the glide with a little momentum.

In no time, he made his way down to the crowd. With a hoot and a yell, he aimed his dive at the new guy, snapping a picture right before he pulled the dive up and into a backflip, twirling out his momentum five or so times before landing with a flutter of the wings. He snapped his phone closed and walked past the guy, mimicking his best impression of the Fonz.

"Ayyyyy! I'm Damien, the cool guy in school."

He strutted past, his little, black, bifrocated tail swinging about.

"Welcome to Mutie High."

He pulled a pair of shades from his jacket, placed the wrap-arounds on his face, and popped the collar of his light jacket up, striking a pose before strutting away slowly, like the cool guys did.

Ethan Evans
Apr 9th, 2008, 10:34:09 AM
"Good...morning, Mr. Evans. I couldn't help but overhear you."

Anita flashed a kind and rather disarming smile of her own. She looked young enough to be a student, but that was not the fact. Without offering a hand as was generally the custom for greeting, she stepped towards the young man.

"I'm Professor Florence." She glanced down at the books she was carrying, then back at the boy. "Librarian, mostly. I would take it you know Miss Blake...?"

Without the option of a handshake, there didn't seem to be a better way to return Anita's greeting than mirroring her smile.

“That's right, ma'am. Jacinda and I were-”

Just at that moment, a black shape flashed into view. For a split second, Ethan was shaken by the unexpected arrival, but he recovered quickly and laughed it off. He'd been mentally preparing himself for the eccentricities 'Mutie High' for a while now, so the little imp-like guy didn't throw him off balance.

“Hey, nice moves!”

As Damien swaggered away, Ethan - laughter fading - looked back towards the others.

“This is some place, huh? Can't wait to get settled in...”

Jacinda Blake
Apr 9th, 2008, 10:48:06 AM
It was extremely lucky for Ethan that Professor Florence had shown up when she had. Jacinda was not the mild mannered girl that Ethan had known, not any more. She'd come out of her shell, so to speak. She was stronger. She was a member of the X-men team. She'd been through loss and pain that he couldn't possibly comprehend and had been through it all with the support of people who really did love her, unlike him who'd betrayed her in a split second, in front of everyone they knew...

A mean grin lit her features as Damien swooped down to make his greetings. She would thank him later..

It made no sense that Ethan was here.. She thought for a moment that maybe he'd come to make his condolences about her sister, he had known her as well.. but he was registering?

That could only mean one thing.

Ethan was a mutant as well..

Jacinda glowered, clearly not wanting him here. "Right. See you around Ethan." Spinning on a heel, the skirt of her bright dress swinging up around her legs she started walking off. She didn't care what his abilities were. She didn't care to hear any news from what had been 'home'. She didn't care if he got lost.

In fact, she rather hoped he would.

Anita Stern
Apr 9th, 2008, 10:59:28 AM
Anita had flicked her eyes to Jacinda, who had remained rather silent through the entire exchange and acrobatics so far. Damien's act had brought a small smile of joy to her face as well. She wouldn't come down on the little guy for what he just did, considering the target had remained unfazed. He was, if anything, a little full of himself.

"It sure is." The new tangent was a great distraction. She didn't want the details of his past relationship with Jacinda fluttering about in an open space around others. She had a feeling she'd get to know more about that later.

"More than you know. I could make a fairly accurate guess at what your gift is, but I'd much rather hear it from you. The press is sometimes a little lacking."

Jacinda had voiced a word or two, and turned heel in a huff. Anita shouted after her.

"Library, this afternoon, Jacinda. I hope I will see you there!"

Anita flurried a quick wave, before turning back to Ethan.

"Paperwork? Let's get you settled in."

Ethan Evans
Apr 9th, 2008, 11:07:03 AM
Ethan watched Jacinda go and suppressed a sigh. He'd worry about talking to her later. For now, it seemed he'd found just the woman he needed. Ethan took one last glance over his shoulder, to say goodbye to the boy who'd first welcomed him, but he was gone. Following the Professor's lead, they strolled up towards the mansion entrance. Inside, there were a number of people wandering around. Some of them looked inquisitively over towards him, but most continued on with whatever they were doing.

“My dad said he'd faxed some stuff through earlier in the week,” Ethan said, picking up the conversation once more, successfully managing to stop himself from staring at some of the more physical mutations on display.

Anita Stern
Apr 9th, 2008, 11:43:44 AM
Walking with him, Anita watched the small gathering outside disperse as she and the new student headed inside. She saw a group of younglings, amongst various other students and professors going about their business. Like John Rhee, presumably having come from another battle with the photocopier, for example. She supressed a giggle.

"He did, that's right. Your father seems to have taken care of your transfer rather quickly." Anita got a thoughtful look on her face.

"We already have a room assigned to you. Now the only thing is whether you would like a tour, or just want to take a look around for yourself...which I might not suggest if you don't like getting lost, or simply have no sense of direction. There is a useful map available at the front desk, too, just in case."

Shifting the two or three books she was carrying, Anita continued to speak.

"What classes might you be taking?"

Ethan Evans
Apr 9th, 2008, 11:55:36 AM
His father had stopped outside the school, car engine still running, only long enough for Ethan to get out of the car. Rather quick was an understatement.

“A tour would be great, if you've got the time, thanks... I haven't had time to look at any information on what kind of classes are available,” he confessed. Ethan looked around the foyer, thinking that he couldn't imagine a place like this having a gymnasium – and that thought, inevitably, lead him to other memories. Brushing them aside, he asked:

“What kind of sports program do you have?”

Anita Stern
Apr 9th, 2008, 08:55:27 PM
"I teach literature and psychology for the moment."

Anita stopped off at the front desk, having a few quick words with the woman manning it, and left her books there, saying she would pick them up later, then returning to Ethan. There was nothing saying what the lessons would look like. Or any answers. She was more than capable of keeping such things under lock and key in her head, much to the disappointment to those students who might seek easier ways to skirt by in their academic pursuits.

"I really don't know a whole lot about the sports program here, except that with all the different students, we try to accomodate as many interests as possible. I haven't had an active interest in sports since high school, but you'd really make it worth your while to have a word or two with most of the professors if you can. We all have our own personal take on things. Everybody here does."

Amongst her academia, she had found time to be a cheerleader, and participate in one or two areas of track and field, but it had stopped twelve years previous. After her high school graduation, after her powers really came into play, as the discomfort at touching others increased... she focused more and more on studies and less on life in general. She had her friends here and there, but even they considered her preferences for no contact a little uncomfortable. As Anita spoke, she lead the way, pausing occasionally to point out offices, training rooms, the cafeteria...

"Oh, the gym." Ethan actually looked a little surprised at that. "We really do offer a lot of the amenities of most any school. I don't see how else we could truly make a student's integration more seamless."

Ethan Evans
Apr 10th, 2008, 05:40:17 AM
Ethan nodded attentively as Anita spoke. Literature and psychology had never been his strong points, but he was a hard-worker and would put in the time and effort where needed to maintain a respectable grade-point average. Nevertheless, Ethan was relieved to see that the school had a fairly extensive gym complex. It was quieter than most areas of the school he'd seen so far, but as they passed through he caught a glimpse of what looked like a gymnastics class in progress, alongside a couple of kids drilling basketball plays. He nodded to himself, apparently satisfied for now – though he made a mental note to speak to one of the more informed Professor's about the existence, or apparent lack their-of, of an official sports teams.

As he watched those around him, careful not to appear prying, he found himself surprised at how at ease they were with each other and themselves. Whilst he had trained himself to appear undaunted and cheerful in the face of what had once confused and frightened him, he could not deny himself some curiosity over what they could all do.

Mid-thought, Ethan was struck – not by some revelation, but by a basketball. It rolled away from his feet and he stooped down to pick it up. At the opposite side of the gym a boy called out to him, waving abnormally over-sized hands above his head. Ethan smiled, tightly, at Anita before tossing the ball back, his aim perfect.

“Well,” he said, dusting off his hands. “This all looks great.”

Anita Stern
Apr 14th, 2008, 04:00:08 PM
"Well...this all looks great."

Anita nodded, more to herself. It was somewhat absent-minded, as she got lost in watching the students play for a moment or two. She was always so terribly observant, noticing every little thing, seeing a mood. Drawing intentions from the facets of an expression, the tone of words, posture. It didn't always occur to her that this was just another extension of her ability to draw information out of things. Except this aspect was not one reliant on touch.

She turned her curl-framed face to Ethan.

"I couldn't imagine very many campuses this far removed from idleness and dull decor. Then again, this is not your average four walls."

With those words, she turned to remove herself from the gymnasium, beckoning him to follow. Her fashion of speech always had a tendancy to be a little complex for simpler tastes. Not to mention children. She always had to remember to use easier, more digestable terms with the younger crowd to avoid confusion. On the way out the door, she began to mention the other professors and their current course offerings, while stopping by the front desk along the way to retrieve her books, and then continued leading on to Ethan's assigned room.

"...Also, there is Professor Natalia Federov, who teaches cultural studies and foreign languages. And lastly, Professor John Rhee. He teaches physical education. Overall, for your sporting aspirations, he would more than likely be the one you would want to talk to."

Ethan Evans
Apr 15th, 2008, 04:58:07 AM
Not your average four walls...

Ethan considered this, as they departed from the gymnasium, the sounds of kids competing fading into the distance. He thought, almost wistfully, of his old team, the Apple Valley Arrows – but the voice of the coach cleaved through the happy memory, destroying any wisp of nostalgia. On top of getting himself kicked off the team, he'd put the team's starting fullback out of commission for who knows how long. The shock of his developing mutant 'powers' had been overshadowed by the pain of being rejected by the guys he'd come to think of as family.

Blinking, Ethan realized suddenly that they had stopped walking. They were stood outside the open door to an apparently empty room. Anita was finishing her explanation of the teaching faculty. He strolled through the door, tossing his duffel bag onto the bed, and gave the hard-wood desk a pat, running his palm across the grain. Looking up, he smiled again.

“I guess I'll unpack and then go find Professor Rhee. Thanks again for your help, Miss Florence.”

Anita Stern
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:53:51 AM
Anita beamed, hugging her books. So far, he had been rather polite, but first impressions did not always tell the whole story. Who this boy really was on the whole was a mystery yet to be unraveled. There were those that had their reservations about him, Anita included... considering the boy was a jock.

"You're welcome. I can be found in the library most times if you're in need of anything. I hope you settle in well."

She gave him a quick nod, and turned to go.

"Farewell. We'll be seeing you around the campus."

And off she went.

Ethan Evans
Apr 15th, 2008, 11:08:37 AM
Alone, Ethan closed to the door to his room. He sighed, a heavy breath, and cast his eyes around at the bare walls. At home, those walls had been covered in posters of his idols, pennants of high school team, and pictures of Ethan himself, surrounded by handfuls of other smiling, happy faces. He rummaged about in his holdall and pulled out his yearbook; it was the one thing he'd had the time and space to bring. He flicked idly through the pages, not really seeing what they contained, only catching vague glimpses of photographs and lovingly penned farewells.

Suddenly, feeling angry with himself, he tossed the book to the ground and got to his feet. He didn't bother unpacking anything else, or even removing his jacket, before heading back out into the hallway. There was, he had decided, no point wasting time sitting around, moping. He had to make the best out of a bad situation and so, with a little help from the map at the mansion entrance, found his way to the open door of Professor John Rhee's office.

Dragon
Apr 15th, 2008, 11:36:02 AM
John was just stepping out of his office clad in his white gi and sneakers and locked the door behind him. Under his arm he carried a folder with notes on the last Danger Room exercise and an outline for another program that should help develop Jacinda and Carlos's aerial tactics.

As he turned to head for the Sub-Basement, he saw a young man walking down the hallway and looking at the nameplates by office doors. John dropped his keys into the folder and intercepted him.

"I don't remember seeing you around here before - hi, I'm Professor John Rhee. Can I help you with anything?"

Ethan Evans
Apr 15th, 2008, 11:42:10 AM
Ethan extended a hand. His tone was light but professional and polite, suitably respectful.

“Hello, sir... Ethan Evans, I just transferred here from Apple Valley High school. Professor Florence recommended that I come speak to you about the schools sports program.”

He noted the file in the crook of John's arm. “Whenever you have the time, of course.”

Dragon
Apr 15th, 2008, 12:09:09 PM
John accepted the handshake warmly. Ethan clearly had an athlete's grip.

"Oh, of course," he said. "Well, I do have a few minutes right now - most of our sports are intramural at this point. Unfortunately, none of the high school conferences in New York allow mutants to participate in normal competitions."

He paused as he made a mental connection. "Apple Valley? We have another student who transferred from there in the fall. Perhaps you know her - Jacinda Blake?"

Ethan Evans
Apr 15th, 2008, 12:17:59 PM
Ethan was crestfallen, there was no hiding that. Competitive sports had made up such a big part of his life before the accident. To think that he wouldn't get the chance to play in any of the league's he'd always dreamed about... It was like a punch to the gut – but he caught himself, before his disappointment showed to keenly.

“Jacinda and I were in the same graduating class,” he said with a nod, though neglected to mention anything else about their relationship.

As an afterthought, as though hoping to console himself, he added: “Are there any... mutant only leagues?”

Dragon
Apr 15th, 2008, 12:34:24 PM
It was easy to see Ethan's disappointment. John made a note to look into the boy's background as soon as he had a chance.

"I haven't heard of any leagues," he said, "but there are mutant athletic clubs around the country - fairly informal, they'll play a variety of sports, usually with modified rules, and they're open to any mutant who wants to participate. Sometimes they'll play competetively with other clubs. Some of our students have expressed an interest in starting something like that here on campus."

John knew there were also other competetive ventures - fighting rings, races, brutal contests with large purses and outlandish wagers - but he was determined to keep his students away from those establishments.

Ethan Evans
Apr 15th, 2008, 12:45:20 PM
Now there was an idea he could be positive about. Ethan's buoyancy returned, at the thought of rallying together some like-minded kids into a rag-tag team.

“I'd like to be part of organizing something that. I know I've only just arrived on campus, sir, but I'm eager to get involved with everything the school has to offer. I captained the football team, back in Apple Valley. I think I've got what it takes.”

Dragon
Apr 15th, 2008, 01:25:42 PM
John smiled in earnest. He always took it as a good sign when students were eager to jump straight into action right away - it showed they weren't planning on letting their mutation hold them back.

"Sounds great! I'll add your name to the list of interested students, and you all should be able to get together and discuss it soon. There's really not much structure yet, but I'm sure they'd benefit from your experience. In the meantime, there are always pick-up games going on outside, and all the equipment in the gym is open to you when there's not a class in session.

"I'll be sure to let Jacinda know you're here, if you haven't seen her already. I know seeing a familiar face can help make transitions like this smoother."

Ethan Evans
Apr 15th, 2008, 01:50:33 PM
“I already bumped into Jacinda. I'm sure we'll catch up once I've gotten settled into the routine here.”

It was a lie, but Ethan wasn't eager to air out his dirty laundry any time soon. He felt awkward enough, without having all of Jacinda's new friends coming down on him.

“I'll let you get on your way now, sir. I think I'll take a trip over to the gym right now, see if I can get involved with a quick game or two.”

Dragon
Apr 15th, 2008, 02:33:14 PM
John nodded. "All right, then. If you need anything or have any more questions, feel free to contact me. I'm also one of the school's mutation counselors, which means I help students explore their abilities, master them, and learn how to use them in a positive way. I'd be happy to help you as well."

He stuck out his hand toward Ethan again. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Ethan. I look forward to getting to know you better."

Ethan Evans
Apr 16th, 2008, 12:24:44 PM
Ethan returned the handshake firmly. “Thanks for your help, sir.”

And with this said, they parted ways - Ethan heading towards the gym, his head full of ideas...