PDA

View Full Version : Please, Don't Let Me Forget (RiffWrath)

Anja Drake
Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:51:45 PM
Nothing would compare to the calm feelings that drifted soothingly around the room as the sound of a handsome old piano echoed musically down the grand hall. The intricate hum that emitted off a recently struck key swallowed all the troubles of a young mind. A soft melody of an unknown song was being created and all those who were willing could hear it.
<o></o>
The feelings such a hymn could bring was beyond imaginable; the smiles she had spawned to herself and others doing what she loved was to remain uncounted…Her fingers were arched delicately over the black and white keys; her mind was on the music, the piano, and the sound that rang beautifully in the brightly lit room.
<o></o>
The music room was something from a dream; graciously donated instruments lay in their highly respected spots. The crème colored walls perfectly reflected the warm light of the rising sun, making the need for a lamp unnecessary. In the light of morning, a slight breeze began to whirl through the cotton white curtains of the open patio doors that lined the entire east side of the long room.
<o></o>
A pause in the strange song didn’t come even as a warm breeze fluttered gently across Anja’s figure; pushing her loose, dark hair tamely around her. She couldn’t help but smile; she was trying to recreate the lullaby that her mother had made up for her as a child…
<o></o>
Her pale hands led her thing fingers in a slow dance over the gorgeous instrument; the lullaby was sweet, but suddenly the tender harmony faltered with the press of an awful and clearly wrong key…
<o></o>
…Her memory was failing and she just couldn’t remember…
<o></o>
”Damnit!”
<o></o>
Anja deflated as she leaned forward and struck her elbows down on the keys. She buried her face in her hands as the horrid mixture of notes rammed violently through the early morning air.
<o></o>
The Italian gritted her teeth as her body shook in silent, tearless sobs…
<o></o>
…What was wrong with her…why couldn’t she remember?

RiffWrath
Apr 3rd, 2008, 01:34:11 PM
Some time during the beginnings of the piano routine, a freshly showered man stepped out of his unadorned room, and into the hallway. Dressed in an old Killswitch Engage t-shirt and tattered, olive green cargos with chains hanging from them, Mel's boots seemed to make not even a single sound as they thudded against the floor. And indeed they weren't; during this short stay at Cullen's, Mel had discovered that he could manipulate any sound made from his person, and perhaps even manipulate the very vibrations around him. He wasn't really trying to suppress the sound; he was merely walking quietly, trying not to wake the others. Of course, then a piano began to play, it's soft melodies drifting to his ears. Mel enjoyed the sound; whoever played it was good, very good. And then the sour note, a bitter sound of lost melodies, lost time, lost memories.

Mel slowly made his way down the stairs, following where he thought the sounds came from. He hadn't really gotten to take a good look at the music room yet, but perhaps it was the vibrations hanging in the air that seemed to guide him, almost as if he had been there before.

Coming to the room, Mel opened the door quietly, his powers activating without him even so much as realizing it, the doors rather squeaky hinges not even making so much as a single sound. Upon seeing the profile of what appeared to be the young woman at the piano, shoulders shaking as if she were crying silently, Mel had an epiphany: he knew that form. Indeed, he hadn't forgotten that form, that look, bathed in moonlight nights ago. He knew it to be Anja. And she looked just as radiant in the sunlight. Mel instantly felt for her, almost knowing her to feel sad. And then, another epiphany came to him: he knew how to play the song she was playing. He couldn't seem to remember the title, but he could remember enough of how to play it on the piano to play it.

With absolute silence, Mel easily leaned down, placing his hands, gloved with those black, fingerless gloves, in front of Anja's hands, and slowly placed her hands atop his. Slowly, but surely, he began to play the lullaby, letting her fingers press atop his, so she could remember the keys. Mel played it slowly, making sure that she would remember each note, very carefully.

All he could think of at that moment was the hope that he hadn't startled her.

Anja Drake
Apr 3rd, 2008, 02:24:29 PM
There was a moment where Anja was startled; she had been so fixed on her own thoughts that she didn’t even notice a person enter the room. But, when she felt the light touch on her hands, she automatically expanded her senses and “saw” who it was. Anja’s heart beat nearly twice as fast as it previously had been. She hurriedly turned her face away from him; the last thing she wanted was for him to see her cry.
<o></o>
Though, it turned out that avoiding him wasn’t an option when he maneuvered her hands to lie on top of his. Her expression turned into confusion but then quickly shifted into understanding when he began to play. She was stunned…he knew it too…
<o></o>
She peered up at him in silence as their fingers began to move together in the hum of her childhood song. It was beautiful really, the way their minds seemed to play in unison; she smiled softly as Mel led her into the part of the song she couldn’t remember.
<o></o>
The piano’s music swayed slowly and all she could do was follow the boy’s lead. Their fingers danced together gently, all the way until the song began to drift away…
<o></o>
Up until the last hanging note was played and beyond, Anja’s hands stayed with his; allowing herself to be re-taught. She sighed softly as the song ended in a wondrous kind of peace. She barely could form the words to thank him; she smiled at him graciously.
<o></o>
“Thank you. That was perfect.”

RiffWrath
Apr 4th, 2008, 01:52:08 PM
Mel smiled.

"No problem."

At first, he thought of asking her to sit, but then dismissed it from his mind. Instead, he merely picked a spot on the dark piano bench, and sat down. He made sure to give Anja plenty of room.

"Funny that you know that. Or that it means so much to you...That was one of the last songs I played on piano. I played it in a recital, right before I dropped it and turned to the guitar. But that's a whole 'nother story in itself..."

Mel shook his head, at first not wanting to tell her the story. But as he thought of it, it seemed to him a good idea to tell her. After all, she was indeed crying or feeling extremely sad about missing the part of that song. The story might help her some.

"....well, here's the story: on my recital, I decided to play this song. It was one of my favorites from the exercise book. And according to the judges listening, I played it beautifully, and perfectly. But what bothered me about it was that they were wrong; there were several instances where I just completely butchered the music, but somehow, it turned out okay. Okay enough to wow people who were former graduates of Juliard, and famous pianists. And to top it all off, the song felt a lie to me. It just seemed, even when you butchered it, too perfect. Just some sort of really, incredible, beautiful lie. And the piano only enhanced the way I felt about it. It eventually drove me away from the piano, and into the loving embrace of a guitar and the strap that holds it. And here's how this story applies to you: when you forgot it, either for personal reasons, or just for the sake of perfection, you became saddened, defeated. You can't let that beat you; instead, you have to strive on, use what you feel and what you think to guide you, and the song may not be the very same as what's on the sheet, but it will still have its own incredible qualities..."

Mel shook his head, once he finished his own little speech.

"Jeez, I don't normally talk this much....I could use a drink. Wanna join me?"

Anja Drake
Apr 5th, 2008, 05:50:42 PM
His speech held a lot more meaning then he probably realized; he was right about the song being almost too perfect.

"So the song it too perfect within itself..." Anja thought out loud as she pressed gently on the black and white keys, continuing her sweet song. "That does make sense. It would seem that no matter how much I play this song, I can't help that something is missing from it. My mother played it and taught it to me but now, maybe I should take it and make it my own."

The dark haired girl moved her hand away from the smooth keys and closed the matching black lid over them; the sound of the last note hung in the air. She breathed slowly, taking in the effect of the song and what Mel had said...

It soothed her.

"Jeez, I don't normally talk this much....I could use a drink. Wanna join me?"

A truely delighted smile made the sad aura in the room subside; Mel could her feel so much better, it was quite strange actually. But Anja was happy none-the-less that someone could really make her mood brighten.

"It's all right. I enjoy hearing what you have to say." She stood up from the piano bench, straightening her baby blue dress shirt and jeans as she went. "I'd be honored to join you."

Anja turned a little pink as her stomach growled, relatively unladylike. "I, uh, guess I'm a little hungry too. I haven't eatten in a while."

RiffWrath
Apr 7th, 2008, 08:28:58 AM
Mel smiled both at what she said, and the fact that her stomach growled. Even when she seemed so straight-laced, that growl reminded Mel of her normality, or at least, of what normality a mutant could have.

"Nah, I'd be honored to take you. Where do ya wanna go? I could sure use at least a drink....and thinkin' of it, a steak n' cheese omelet sounds good right about now..."

Mel stood up beside her, taking in the sight of her. The blue shirt looked really good on her. And instantly, his thoughts went to what it would look like on the floor. Holding back his posture and emotions, he merely smiled, and looked to her, wondering what the dark-haired woman had in mind for breakfast. If the place was horrible, then he could always eat later, or have some toast. No one could screw up toast....

Anja Drake
Apr 7th, 2008, 05:30:55 PM
"Great!" She grinned before grabbing his hand and leading him out the door and down the hall. "I visited a friend who works in the kitchen a little while ago, the cafeteria food should be pretty good this morning."

At Cullen's, the food was actually pretty good; there were three meals a day and then open kitchen during the night hours so even the nacternal students could eat when they were hungry. It also proved helpful for Anja, since she usually had trouble sleeping at night....or just in general couldn't sleep.

It wasn't long before Anja arounded a corner, Mel still in tow, and the aroma for fresh pancakes and fruit overwhelmed the hallway. She felt her stomach growl again in anticipation.

When the two mutants reached the cafeteria, there were only a few others awake or to say the least trying to look alive. She turned and grabbed a tray for both Mel and herself.

"The main meal is right along here but there is cereal and other things just down there." Anja waved casually down the line before handing him his tray. She began to fill her plate with whatever seemed to smell good.

RiffWrath
Apr 7th, 2008, 07:11:54 PM
Beige, plastic tray in his hands, Mel went down the line, plucking several foodstuffs from the a la carte' menu: an apple, a cheese omelet, some bacon, a small bowl of Cheerios, and some fresh toast, and topped it off with a cup of hot coffee, two creams, four sugars.

He turned to Anja, who had already filled her tray with food, and began to look for a seat. With the area being pretty vacant that early in the morning, the two mutants had very little difficulty finding prime seating arangements.

Mel, with his gloved right hand, tray balanced in his left, motioned for Anja to take a seat across from him, not even thinking of her visual issues. Her other senses will probably pick it up, Mel thought. Hopefully.

Anja Drake
Apr 7th, 2008, 07:44:49 PM
It didn't take Anja long to fill her tray up with a variety of delicious food stuffs; a bowl of cinnamon/brown sugar oatmeal, an orange, a banana, two eggs, a piece of toast with raspberry jam, and a glass of plain white milk. Breakfast was something she could eat at anytime of the day…or night; and after all, it was the most important meal of the day.
<o></o>
Taking in Mel’s gesture, Anja sat down across the brown, square table from him. She had barely settled herself in her seat and she was already digging into the two eggs…of course, it would be a shame if they got cold.
<o></o>
It was most likely a very comical scene as the young woman finished her eggs in nearly four large bites and then move quickly onto the bowl of oatmeal that had been sitting neglected for less than five minutes. She picked up her spoon but stalled abruptly…she better slow down if she wanted to avoid a stomach ache…or avoid grossing Mel out…either way she slowed down.
<o></o>
She set her spoon aside and blinked before lightly blushing again. “I’m sorry. I, uh, guess I’m hungrier than I thought.”
<o></o>
Anja fidgeted awkwardly before finding the table very interesting. “Ah…did you get a chance to see Mr. Rhee yet, to finalize your paperwork?”

RiffWrath
Apr 7th, 2008, 07:56:03 PM
Mel had dug in as well, scarfing down his food. The son of a former military man, he had picked up his fast eating habits from him, and it merely carried on through life. He had finished his cheese omelet, bacon, the cereal, his apple, and was nursing his coffee while finishing his toast, by the time Anja began speaking. He smiled.

"Forget about it. You gotta eat. Oh, and yeah, I managed to get it all done the day after. After all, this is a great thing, bein' here. And I don't wanna waste that on stupid paperwork..."

What Mel meant to say was that he didn't want to risk losing his opportunity to see her on stupid paperwork, but that was all moot.

"Tell me about yourself."

Anja Drake
Apr 7th, 2008, 08:58:21 PM
“That’s good.”
<o></o>
But, Anja almost choked on her oatmeal, if that was even possible, when he expressed interest in knowing more about her. Truly she didn’t know what to tell him…or more importantly, where to start.
<o></o>
She whipped the corners of her mouth with her napkin before taking a solid moment to think about her life…or rather what she could tell him without falling apart right in front of him. There were delicate details about her that could cause a domino effect to a dangerous unraveling.
<o></o>
“Well, I can tell you about my background a little bit. I suppose I can start by saying I was born in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1>Italy</st1></st1:country-region>.” She sighed, twirling her spoon in her oatmeal while speaking. “My mother was born there as well but my father was born in <st1:state w:st="on"><st1>New Jersey</st1></st1:state>. They met at a camping lodge up in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1>Canada</st1></st1:country-region>, of all places. My mother was beautiful, naturally, and as my father used to put it, she hypnotized him into following her back to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1>Italy</st1></st1:country-region>.”
<o></o>
She smiled at this but continued in good time. “They got married and settle down just outside the city of <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Genoa</st1></st1:city>. The two of them were both mutants and so of course when I was born, I inherited the gene. I had two brothers and have a half sister: Makail, Andre, and Talia. But Makail didn’t live long after birth; however, it wasn’t too much of a surprise, he had Cystic Fibrosis.”
<o></o>
“For a while, we lived pretty graciously. We really didn’t have much trouble until my transformations started manifesting. After they did, my parents pulled me out of school and kept me away from most other people.”
<o></o>
Anja paused, she didn’t like speaking about her past; there were parts that only she could deal with on her own time and no one knew about certain portions of her past…not even the trusted Mr. Rhee…well not yet anyway.
<o></o>
“About five years ago, my father and Andre were killed during an accident in <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Venice</st1>.</st1:city> My mother was strong but had to send Talia to live with my uncle and aunt in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1>Germany</st1></st1:country-region>, when she was gone, we really struggled to get by. That might seem awful, but after a while, things began to turn around for us. We soon were comfortable with each other and lived leisurely again.”
<o></o>
Sure, she sugar coated the last part of her story but in still everything was true. “My mutations have always been out of control, so when my mother heard about the Cullen’s Institute, she thought it would be perfect for me.”
<o></o>
“So far…it’s been fantastic. I meet new people all the time and I’ve gotten my abilities to a relatively stable stage.” She finished with a smile on her face. “I love it here.”
<o></o>
The oatmeal had gotten cold while she had been ranting. Pushing it away, she picked her toast, however, she didn’t eat it right away. She cocked her head curiously at Mel. “What about you? I remember you saying that you went to Julliard and were part of a band…what was it…Riff Throttle? What was that like?”

RiffWrath
Apr 8th, 2008, 11:46:01 AM
Upon her asking of his past, Mel nearly choked on his coffee. He cleared his throat, and set the drained mug down.

"Actually, I never went to Juliard. On the open enrollement day, I was playin' a gig in a strip club instead. I mean, I had a full ride and everything. But I tossed it aside. My parents tried to push me into it, and I guess I just pushed back, by joining up with the band, and then coming up with the name. And less than six months after that, the band finally put out their first album on a major record label. It went platinum within less than twenty-four hours of going public."

Mel took another bite of toast, making sure to chew, swallow, and then wipe his mouth before continuing. He didn't want to gross her out, not even thinking of her not being able to see it at all.

"Riff Throttle was great. It was like living with brothers from other mothers. You know, siblings that I never had. We played all over the world for the next year and a half, writing music where inspiration hit. And from there, we went back to the studio, and began recording our second album. It was so anticipated that we went platinum just off of pre-order sales alone. I think we broke records or something. Well, a month after that release, we were touring, and a few shows later, it happened. My, um, power activated..."

Mel looked over to the window watching the sun dance across the dew on the grouds.

"I think it was, like, seventy-five or more people who were hospitalized. The media and my publicist marked it down as a sound system malfunction, but it doesn't take an idiot to figure out what happened, being that the other band members were all struck deaf. Naturally, I felt bad about it when I realized that it was me. So, I liquidated just about everything that I owned, which thankfully amounted to millions of dollars, and I donated them to those injured, and their medical bills, other incurred bills, ect."

Mel turned, sipping on a glass of water that set nearby.

"Bein' in the band was awesome, but at that cost....I'm not sure that I would've ever joined up...."

Anja Drake
Apr 8th, 2008, 07:45:07 PM
“I’m sorry that had to happen to you, Mel. I know what it’s like to hurt people.” But maybe not to that great of numbers she left unstated; she didn’t want to make him feel worse than he already did. “At least, in a way, you attempted to make amends.”
<o></o>
His whole story caused Anja to stop eating her toast, when he was finished she sat thinking about what he had said. Whether Mel realized it or not, there was a lot to envy about him; his life seemed so full of opportunity…that was something Anja really never had. It wasn’t far to say that Anja did, very much, envy him.
<o></o>
She looked turned herself to face the window, it was a beautiful day…Anja could tell it was sunny, she felt the warm rays touch her hand gently…it was beautiful. She realized that suddenly she wanted to go outside, a nice walk would be great…maybe show Mel around the outside if he hadn’t seen the grounds yet.
<o></o>
Rather than interrupting their meal, she waited until Mel had finished completely. She moved her hand in and out of the single ray of light that warmed her as she tried to form the words…she didn’t know why, but around Mel….she just couldn’t seem to know what to say.
<o></o>
“I…do…do you want a tour of the grounds?” She felt herself flush. “That is if you haven’t seen it yet. I mean, I’m sure you’ve seen some of it since you’ve been here a few days. I don’t want to rush you through your breakfast, you know. I, I…uh...”
<o></o>
She trailed slightly. What was wrong with her? “I’m sorry. I don’t think I’m totally awake yet…”
<o></o>
Wow…that was gracefully said…

RiffWrath
Apr 8th, 2008, 09:07:21 PM
Mel noticed her difficulty in forming sentences, and wanted to take it as a hint that she somehow had a connection with him. But not only was he not so arrogant to believe that, he was simply oblivious to it. People normally had issues when trying to talk to famous people, and breakfast with a rock star? C'mon, Mel, FORMER rock star. You're just a nobody mutie now, remember? Mel thought to himself bitterly. Then again, for a girl of this caliber to seem to connect to you so quickly and so thoroughly, it must mean something.

A flash of pearly white teeth in a bright smile, Mel gathered all his dishes and trash, and dumped it in a nearby trash can. He offered Anja a hand up.

"Of course. I'd love a tour of the grounds. And maybe, a quiet place to talk. You know, not like a cafeteria."

Mel instantly thought of Anja and himself underneath a budding cherry-blossom tree, lips locked. And almost shook the thought from his head. But then again, he DID love cherry-blossoms....

Anja Drake
Apr 8th, 2008, 09:44:47 PM
“All right, then.”
<o></o>
She grasped his hand and stood with a smile of her own but released it again; she threw her trash away and placed the beige tray in a cut-out section of a wall that connected to the kitchen wash room. Anja led her companion across the cafeteria out onto a patio that ran adjacent to the eating area; they were on the north side of the Institute and frankly, this was probably the best place to start.
<o></o>
“Well, this is obviously the most important place, the cafeteria. It’s open all day and all night. In general, the food is very good.” She turned and motioned back to the lunch room before turning to the left and heading west along the north side of the building. “All along here are classrooms, mostly history and math. The science rooms are farther away from the food area’s on the south end of the mansion.”
<o></o>
Truthfully, the north side was boring….patio’s, sitting area for classroom purposes if a professor wanted to hold class outside, and forest….lots of it.
<o></o>
The stony walkway led down for a while further before taking a turn and spreading open into an area full of statues; it actually was a grand way to start exploring the west side of the building.
<o></o>
She continued to walk but kept a slight bit of her senses on Mel. She still wanted to know more about him.
<o></o>
“I really don’t want to push but if you could doing anything different in you past, like go to Juliard instead of starting Riff Throttle, would you?”

RiffWrath
Apr 8th, 2008, 10:09:36 PM
Mel looked at her, cocking his head to the side inquisitively. Push him? An interesting way to put it. He kept an eye on where he was going as he answered her slowly, thinking about the question, turning it over in his mind.

"I dunno. I mean, Riff Throttle was a great thing, and it was incredibly successful, and one song we did had a humungous impact on those questioning suicide and self-mutiliation. Would Juliard grads write about that? I'm not sure. And to boot, if I were to be at a concert with a smaller turn-out being at Juliard, I would've probably wound up hurting less people, but those people being.....I dunno, more important. And then, I'd been found out as a mutie, and the protests and militant things would begin to happen...who knows? I mean, it would be nice to have my parents be on my side again, but with an active mutant gene, who knows? I don't even think they know about it...."

Mel stopped, looking over at Anja.

"You know, you don't have to be so uptight around me. I'm just a guy. Ask whatever questions you want. I'll let ya know if you're crossing the line."

Mel took her hands in his, to show that he meant what he said.

"Okay?"

Anja Drake
Apr 9th, 2008, 06:11:18 AM
She stopped along with him in the marble forest of statuesque stone figures and when he took hold of her hands she bit the inside of her lip, Anja felt like a lost puppy, she wasn’t quite sure what to do.
<o></o>

"You know, you don't have to be so uptight around me. I'm just a guy. Ask whatever questions you want. I'll let ya know if you're crossing the line. Okay?"
<o></o>
The dark haired girl smiled in return. “Thank you. I just don’t know what to say, I know for me it’s relatively uncomfortable for me to talk about what happened in my past.”
<o></o>
She let his hands go and led him down a flight of steps and through the stone garden.
<o></o>
“Well, this is really just a more architectural place; to give more elegance, I suppose. It’s really quite pretty.” She ran a hand along side a marble statue as they past by, the smooth texture was something to be admired. Anja moved swiftly along, gesturing as she went.
<o></o>
“Here are the consumer econ. classes.”
<o></o>
They continued farther along the west side of the building, out of the marble beauties and down along a railed walk way. They soon came to a blacktop area; the basketball courts were very evident. “This is where the students like to play around, you know basketball and other sports. I’m pretty positive that there are tennis courts around here, too. Anything, a typical teenager would want is out here.”
<o></o>
She grinned. “I’m not big on playing games, but I like to watch the others sometimes. It seems like they have so much fun with each other.”

RiffWrath
Apr 9th, 2008, 07:53:53 AM
Mel stopped to admire the marble statutes. They were quite impressive. Then again, he found himself, more times than not, admiring the woman beside him, admiring them. He couldn't help but crack a smile at watching her. She was foreign to Mel, nearly exotic. She seemed so quiet, and yet, despite that silence in her character, there was a tangible strength behind her. Something not yet seen. It only made Mel admire her character more.

As they left, and made their way towards the buildings lined with black, wrough-iron railings, Mel took in the scene. It wasn't anything special; just exactly what he expected of the boring consumer econ. classes.

But, when they found themselves at the recreational area, littered with a basketball court, a football and baseball field combination, what he thought to be a tennis court, and a sand pit that seemed to be for volleyball. He thought he could see the sparkling water off in the distance, a sign of a pool. At this Mel smiled. He loved to swim.

“I’m not big on playing games, but I like to watch the others sometimes. It seems like they have so much fun with each other.”<!-- / message -->

Mel turned again, to look at her puzzled.

"Hmmm, I could see that. Aren't too many visually-challenged-friendly games out here....then again, you function just fine without your sight. Maybe you should try a game. In fact, later I'll play a game with ya, if you'd like."

He looked back to the area that seemed to have a pool.

"Well, if that's a pool, that's probably visually-challenged-friendly. And if not, I'll do what I can to make it that way. Maybe after our tour, we could go swimming...Perhaps even after dark. I heard it'll be a clear night tonight..."

Mel grinned from ear to ear at this thought. Not only would he get to swim, but he would also get the chance to go for a swim with a beautiful woman. And perhaps get a chance to see her in a bathing suit. After the moonlit night, the only thing that could perhaps top that would be a moonlit swim. Mel could barely contain himself as he visualized the possiblities.

Anja Drake
Apr 9th, 2008, 05:02:10 PM
"I'd like that." Anja said.

It wouldn't hurt and of course it'd be fun; afterall, she hadn't been swimming a long time. Probably the last time she had been swimming was over a year or so ago; still she knew how and more importantly she had always loved it as a child, it seemed to chill the effect the Angel had on her.

"However, I'd have a bit of an advantage in a game of Marco Polo." She joked, poking him in the shoulder as she past him and moved across the basketball court and to a set of swings...most likely put there for the younger mutants at Cullen's.

Still, she took a place in one of the swings and kicked her blue and lime green Puma tennis shoes off. The sand pit, in which the swings erected, sifted softly over her feet as she dug them into the sun warmed crystals. There was a light breeze and the chains she held in her hands moved slightly, gently giving the girl a push into movement.

"Mel, what are your parents like?" She "looked" at him curiously, the interest evident even in her hazel colored distant, veiled eyes. "Do they know of your mutation, yet?"

RiffWrath
Apr 10th, 2008, 07:18:40 AM
She was a sight for sore eyes, just sitting in a swing, her feet buried in the warm sand. Mel didn't do the samel; just tromped onto the sand, black boots leaving very deep imprints in the sand as he walked. He knelt near Anja's feet, tracing notes in the sand with the tips of his fingers.

"Mel, what are your parents like? Do they know of your mutation, yet?"<!-- / message -->

Mel had mentioned this earlier, whether or not they knew, but he was more than happy to answer her specifically, instead of drone on about whether or not he'd change things.

"Well, I don't know, exactly. It's been over two years since we last talked...And we were definetly on the outs, with me shirking off Juliard to play in seedy clubs with a rock band. Not exactly what they had in mind for my music career. Funny how that works, isn't it? It's your life, yet they want to run it. I understand they wanted what was best for me. That I get. And I even get that they wouldn't want me to ruin my life by not makin' it. But I did make it. And I didn't so much as get a single phone call. Not a one. Not even on Christmas, when I was lonely, and missed them. You know, I thought to call them, but after some time, I just didn't even bother."

Mel sighed, looking up and away from Anja, to watch the clouds roll across the daytime sky.

"Well, my dad's a bit heavier. He was into folk music, was a studio musician for several big acts. My mom did some backup vocals at the same studio when they first met. And it was love at first....I dunno, recording? They were married within a year and a half, and half a year later, I was born. As for my mom, she never kept the baby weight....she's where I get the sharp features from. And the hair color. The eye color's my dad's."

Mel looked back to Anja.

"How 'bout you? If you have your mother's looks, then I bet she's absolutely stunning."

He smiled, hoping the compliment didn't come off badly.

Anja Drake
Apr 10th, 2008, 05:21:03 PM
A tint of pink touched her cheeks at the compliment, but still maintained her composer as she burrowed deeper into the sand with her toes. It was a bittersweet feeling, the coarse sand and its comforting warmth with the cool morning breeze; different but very relaxing.

She thought of what her mother looked like; it had been so long since the last time she had. The last time, itself wasn't the most pleasant of times, transforming around her mother was always difficult. Her mother understood that Anja couldn't help the surge of emotions that overwhelmed her at times; but mostly, Anja was afraid that the Angel would do something rash. Her mutation put her mother in danger so many times before, it was a miracle that nothing had happened to her.

Anja was thankful for that...without her mother, she would have never made it through the accident or the recent years of her mutation.

She couldn't help but grin, both at Mel's compliment and the mention of her mother.

"Yes, my mother is a lovely woman. She was relatively young when I was born and still to this day she is the most youthful person I know." Anja said. "I've only seen her a few times in my life..."

She paused quickly, she hadn't told him about her mutation really and what she had just said probably confused him.

"Oh, when I'm in my transformed state, I'm not blind anymore. I can see the world like you can. But, anyway, to finish answering your quesition; I got nearly everything of mine from her. I love her so much, it's hard to imagine life without her."

She closed her eyes as another breeze came by; what a wonderful day it was going to be...after all, it was off to a pretty good start, especially with Mel's good company.

"Would you ever contact your parents again if you could?"

RiffWrath
Apr 11th, 2008, 07:12:35 AM
As the wind tossed his dark hair about, Mel shrugged.

"I dunno. I mean, I still love them. Always will. But I won't be controlled. Life does that enough as it is."

"Oh, when I'm in my transformed state, I'm not blind anymore. I can see the world like you can."

Upon fulling turning this statement over in his head, Mel found himself wondering just why that was. Why could she only see in her transformed state?

"Huh. You can see only in your transformed state. Must be annoying. Well, maybe some time, I'll be around when you change, that way, you might actually get a chance to see exactly what I look like. After all, they say a picture's worth a thousand words. I can only imagine how many words someone's sight is worth."

Mel found himself tracing swirls in the sand, incoherent and indecipherable spirals in the coarse grains.

"Then again, you won't be seein' much. Just a guy who has tons of tattoos, and plays guitar. And enjoys Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy."

Anja Drake
Apr 11th, 2008, 05:10:29 PM
A sudden uneasy feeling flitted into her stomach when he mentioned being there around one of her transformations; it had been less than six months since she had made the new agreement with the Angel and transforming with control was still a bit strange to her. The feeling of being her "other" half in physical appearance without her other half present was frightening, in a way.

However...

She became thoughtful; instead of a full transformation then maybe a half transformation, those were harder to maintain but still less dangerous than fully transformation into her alternate self. The effect of mutating only her eyes, so she could see him, but no, she didn't want to put Mel in unnecessary danger. The last thing she ever wanted to do was hurt him by accident.

The thought left her mind as she watched his movements with a new fascination. His aura reminded her of a rippling pool and as he traced the sand his lightened atmosphere waver in a way that only water would do...it was incredibly lulling.

"I've seen enough of you to know what you are." She spoke with a grinned, refering to their expierence a few nights ago before looking off into the morning sunrise. "Maybe, someday I'll see exactlly what you look like; but for now, I'm quite content with knowing what I know about your appearance."

Anja pushed her feet into the sand to put herself into more movement on the swing. "Besides, the longer I don't see what you look like, the more delighted I will be when I do see you."

RiffWrath
Apr 13th, 2008, 01:18:45 PM
Mel looked up from his tracings in the sand, intrigued. The wind seemed to sweep away the swirls from his fingertips. Nearby, a basketball bounced on a blacktop. And kids were playing tennis in one of the courts nearby. And some black, furry little demon was flying about in the field, going for a touchdown reception. He danced what Mel knew as the "dirty bird" before spiking the ball. Yet Mel paid it all no heed. He was too fixtated on what she had just said.

"Besides, the longer I don't see what you look like, the more delighted I will be when I do see you."<!-- / message -->

Mel stammered, before speaking.

"Wa-wha....wha....You would be delighted to see me? Why?"

Perhaps it was his heart fluttering, skipping a beat. Perhaps it was just a personal moment between the two of them that served as the catalyst for a barrier of silence to come over the two, as one swung back and forth, the other crouched in the sand. Unless someone passed through within five feet of them, they would hear nothing of what was said, even through microphonic recordings. The vibrations emanating from Mel created this sphere of abolute silence. Yet, within it, all was clear to them, even the sounds coming from elsewhere, beyond the sphere. But nothing came out.

Mel felt himself blushing a little bit. His composure was blown. The musician tried to explain himself, and perhaps his unusual words, stammering as he did so.

"I,uh,I am glad that you want to, ya know, see me. But...um, I, uh, don't know why..."

Anja Drake
Apr 13th, 2008, 06:23:07 PM
The sounds of the other mutants playing was a sure sign that the Institute was waking up. Soon, the courtyard would be flooded with the chatter of the younger mutants and the school hours would actually begin.

She listened in amusement as Mel began to stutter, but immediately felt a twinge of guilt...she didn't mean to make him do that. She was really being sincere, her features sobered into complete honesty.

The swing came to a sudden halt when Anja pushed her feet into the sand. She leaned forward in her place on the swing; bringing herself closer to Mel. The distance was perfect and so she lowered her voice, she wanted him to hear was she had to say without the possible interception of her words by some bystander.

"I...I like you, Mel." She whispered almost hestitantly. "You've been nothing but nice to me since you've gotten here. I would very much enjoy being able to see the face of such a nice guy."

She smiled at him and pulled away before standing up. In two long strides, she crossed the distance to her shoes and picked them up. The morning was young, it was just as well that they continue their tour again.

Anja offered her hand to help him up. "It's about to get pretty crowded out here. It'll probably be best if we continue where we left off."

RiffWrath
Apr 14th, 2008, 07:54:46 AM
Upon hearing her words, Mel's mouth slowly went dry. What could he say to that? An admission of affection? Then again, it probably wasn't as big as Mel thought it was. So, he smiled at her words, and enjoyed the moment while he could.

Which was altogether too brief, when Anja crossed the distance barefoot, beautiful light feet leaving slight, near perfect prints in the sand. Mel watched her form pass him, and couldn't help but watch every swing of her backside. He continued to watch her form, not even aware she was fast reapproaching him.

When she spoke again, offering her hand to him, Mel seemed to snap out of his reverie. With a sheepish smile, he took her hand, and eased himself up. Arm muscles contorted, giving the tattoos a strange, surreal effect as they rippled across his skin. Mel found his words this time, much easier than before. The admission of some affection seemed to break some of his uneasiness and awkward social graces with her.

"Yeah. That'd be great. I'd really like to see the pool in the daylight before the....quad becomes too packed. That way, later tonight, I'll know where everything is. Plus I heard rumors of a cherry blossom tree that grows here..."

Mel's smile widened at that. He loved cherry blossom trees, and his earlier thoughts only seemed to enhance the idea.

Anja Drake
Apr 14th, 2008, 10:50:42 PM
There was something hidden under his voice that Anja couldn’t quite pin point; a twinge of something between playfulness and mystery. Her mind worked in whirls as the pair continued their journey through what was left of the sand pit and then along the black topped basketball courts.
<o></o>
They passed by a miniature game of b-ball and then a high intensity game of singles tennis. The two mutants were striking the ball like the world was about to end…they were good and very skillful. She shook off her curiousness to watch easily, it was a thousand times more interesting to spend time with Mel. There was just something about him that made her want to spend more time with him; he was a fellow musician and very, very understanding.
<o></o>
Past the tennis courts lay a small stretch that went into a collection of pathways; they followed the straight-most path. They past two rows of hedges before the greenery stopped abruptly and opened up into a vast parlor of blue and white tile and poolside chairs.
<o></o>
The pool was beautiful; two ovals of water were connected by a small canal like structure. The canal traveled around the two sides a relatively big island, where a diving board and small slide stood, gleaming in the morning sun.
<o></o>
“Well, this is it.” She smiled and set her shoes down on the tiled floor; Anja moved around a few pool chairs before stepping, into the spotless gutter surrounding the pool’s edges. Even at this time of the morning, the water was surprisingly warm. In small waves, the liquid seemed to slurp at her feet as she stepped, almost sloth like through the drain system.

"As for your tree..." She paused before looking around. "That would be it right over there on the left."

And there it was, hanging decoratively over the row of hedges fencing in the pool. It's overcast creating a shadow that Anja couldn't see...but still, it was beautiful.

RiffWrath
Apr 15th, 2008, 07:53:59 AM
It was overwhelming. The cherry blossom tree was massive and in full bloom, with pink flowers open to the sun's warming rays, its small fruit shining in the sun. It was perfect. Just awesome. And within one hundred yards to the pools. Mel stood amazed.

"That is just....awesome."

Mel wanted to stop, and almost did. But, after a second of thought, he turned to Anja.

"You wanna continue the tour? That way, afterwards, we could sit over there..."

Mel gestured to the beautifully blooming tree.

"...and talk more?"

Anja Drake
Apr 15th, 2008, 05:19:58 PM
The young woman hopped out of the gutter and landed gracefully on one foot before flopping over onto a lonely pool chair.

"Absolutely." She beamed and proceeded to slip her shoes back on. "We just have the south and east side of the grounds to cover...I'm saving the best for last of course."

All of a sudden, Anja was in a very good mood; it was almost like the past few months of constant anxiety had never happened. She past under the blooming tree and picked a beautiful pink flower as she went; the fact that she couldn't see its magnificence didn't really bother her. The beauty of such a small thing was that it had its own life...something that could live and die but yet had no idea what was happening around it.

The petals were like silk as she ran her fingers over the fine blossom; she couldn't help but think back to a few nights ago...when she had asked to "see" Mel. His hair was similar...if not perfectly matched with the feeling of the blossom.

Her cheeks grew pink at the thought but continued on without falter.

Anja led Mel back out the way then came across the pathways; then danced through the crowd of young mutants that had gathered to play their earlier morning games in the courtyard. The two of them reached the backside of the building, where all but one path seemed to travel the length of the buildingside.

"Back here is mostly just forest, a lot like what you saw on the road before you enter the Institute. There is a massive hill back there a little ways...during the winter it's where some of the younger kids like to sled and have their winter fun."

The southern part of the grounds wasn't as spectacular but it was pretty just the same. Minutes past as they walked the long side of the Institute; balcony's from other floors were above them and the sound of waking students could be heard.

There wasn't much hiding the grin that came her as they around the corner of the mansion. It was the east garden that was the most beautiful sight on the outdoor grounds. The Italian let the vast sight be taken it, from above the garden was noticeably big, but from the ground, the garden was massive.

"This is the garden from the other night." She then pointed to the building, leaning in on Mel's arm, so he could follow her finger. "That's the balcony where we were."

"It's quite different from ground level, isn't it?"

RiffWrath
Apr 15th, 2008, 08:51:33 PM
Mel found himself blinking at the sight of the massive gardens.

"Hmm, and during the daytime. You can see most of it. Then again, the moonlight and evening dew does look good on the flora. But, move in front of me for a second?"

Mel easily, and unforcedly, moved Anja in front of his vision, so he could see her, and the garden behind her. He took a step back, boots clomping on the pavement of the walkway.

"And now, the garden looks a hundred times better."

Anja Drake
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:04:24 PM
The Italian couldn't help the blush that spread across her cheeks...she was throughly flattered. Her head tipped downward as to cover her, again, flushed face. Mel had a certain affect of her that she couldn't quite seem to tame; she hadn't ever felt this...flustered before; well...the good kind of flustered anyway.

"Th-thank you." Her voice was mumbled. What else could she say? Her mind was a jumble of ideas and sentences that just could not form in the way she wanted...she opened her mouth to speak, but when nothing came out she turned away again. Hoping that her long chocolate brown hair would viel her face so that he wouldn't notice her edginess.

"Well..." She started carefully, not quite trusting her voice yet. "This garden is pretty much it, I mean, you've seen the 'grant' enterance to the mansion all ready and that's what takes up most of the northside of the building. That and a few water fountains here and there along the entrance path to the parking lot."

Boy...she sounded so...artificial. Her mind was an unmanageable mess...

RiffWrath
Apr 15th, 2008, 09:18:30 PM
Mel noted that she looked away, jerking her head suddenly. She seemed on edge, blushing and all. Instead of doing what he wanted to do, and apologize for making her feel awkward, he stepped forward, and took her hands in his.

"No need to thank me. I just speak my mind. And right now, I'm hopin' I'm not makin' ya feel too awkward. I'm just.....blown away by all that you've done for me. It just seems so surreal. Especially bein' in this place. So strange and so beautiful at the same time. Mundane and exotic. I'm just....I dunno, quite taken with you. But, if I'm makin' ya feel weird, lemme know, and I'll hush up."

Mel looked into her unseeing eyes, wondering what Anja would say, and hoping it would involve him and her together, at least for the sake of friendship. If not more.

Anja Drake
Apr 16th, 2008, 11:29:20 AM
“No, no, no!” She spoke rapidly, her composure officially unraveled as his hands held hers. “It’s not that, I just, um…”
<o></o>
Anja stood quiet, trying to think of what to say. Never, would she want him to not speak what was on his mind. But that wasn’t the problem, it was that she couldn’t seem to say what was on her mind…the words just wouldn’t form together right.
<o></o>
She sighed.
<o></o>
“I enjoy hearing what you have to say.” The sincerity surpassed her nervous emotion with flying colors. “I’m just not used to…someone being so flattering. You make me feel…I don’t know.”
<o></o>
She took her hands back and took a step into the garden’s maze. “You have a way of enchanting…me…”
<o></o>
“…I just can’t find the right thing to say around you. Do you ever feel like that? Like you don’t have the ability to form coherent thoughts or ideas?”
<o></o>
Anja sighed again. “I only just met you but I feel like there is something more to you than I’m able to understand. Mel, you make me want to know more about you.”

RiffWrath
Apr 16th, 2008, 11:48:57 AM
Mel blinked. Upon hearing her words, her further admissions, he was nearly dumbstruck. But if he were, then she'd be only worse. So, he swallowed the lump that was rapidly forming in his throat, and took a deep breath.

"C'mon. I wanna check out the hedge maze."

He easily led her down the hegderows, still hand in hand with her. When they had taken two turns, and were out of view of the student body, and anybody else for that matter, Mel stopped, and turned to face Anja. He got close. Maybe too close for comfort. But it didn't matter.

"What do you want to know? If I'm a book, then I'm certainly open to you. Just ask."

Anja Drake
Apr 16th, 2008, 12:59:37 PM
Her form followed quickly after him as he pulled her along with him, but she nearly bumped into him as he whipped around. Their closeness didn't go unnoticed in her mind; she wasn't used to being this close to someone, her abilities had always limited her from doing so...

There had been only one other time where she had been this near to someone...

"What do you want to know? If I'm a book, then I'm certainly open to you. Just ask."
A new kind of smile came to her. Not caring how weird she might sound to hiim.

"I want to know everything. Where you were born. When you were born. If you have any brothers or sisters. What your childhood was like. What you want to do in life."

"I'm sorry, but I really want to know you." She paused, taking a breath.

"So that way, I can tell everyone your secrets." The girl smiled brightly in hopes that her teasing would shine through.

RiffWrath
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:55:36 PM
The wind carried the aromas of the garden to the nostrils of all in the area. It was a wonderful scent, and calmed the nerves. Mel certainly could use a little calming. Someone so incredible wanted to know all about him, and that made him nervous. Usually, with fame, came people who wanted to work you. But Anja seemed different. She had no angles; she seemed to only want to help. So, Mel opened up.

"Well, I grew up in a small town a few miles from NYC. You know, it was easier for my parents to travel to their studios that way, and it was far enough away to not have all the hustle and bustle that the Big Apple has. As for siblings, I have an older brother. His name is Marvin. I know, funny, Marvin and Melvin. Or Marv and Mel. Either way, we both grew up there, never really had to move. I was born at the local hospital, just like my brother. The town's ideal, really. Close enough for a slight drive to get NYC doctors there, and whatnot. All the convience of the city, with the peace and quiet of a small-town setting."

Mel took out a cigarette, and backed away from her, taking a seat on the ground, just in front of a hedge wall. The flames licked at the paper and tobacco, sending smoke into the air, and through the filter to Mel's lungs. He exhaled.

"I was born in the Spring of '87, on May 18th. It was just after midnight. Must be why I enjoy the night so much. I was born in that small hospital, in that small town. My childhood was great. My parents were always there, bein' able to record some of their music at home. So, they were there for all the recitals, and baseball games, and whatnot. But when I became a teenager, I wanted my independence. I didn't want to ride on my parents' coattails, like I had at all the music lessons and school programs and stuff. So, I started ascerting myself, and after I missed a note in that recital with that lullaby that you were playin' earlier, I just quit playing the piano altogether."

He took another long drag of the cigarette, flipping the hot ashes to the ground.

"I took up guitar, which wasn't a problem to my parents. After all, my dad played mostly acoustic guitar in the studios. And even when I turned to electric guitar, and started playing rock music at home, they weren't upset. But, when I became good enough to play any instrument I knew at Juilard, and I chose instead to party with my buds, and meet up with that horrid group of guys that later became Riff Throttle, I finally snapped, and told them I'd do what I damn well pleased. I was old enough to make my own decisions. And when they didn't like that, and my dad smacked me in my mouth for my launguage, I simply packed up the van, and drove away. I haven't talked to 'em since."

As Mel took another drag, the wind blew the smoke through the air, fortunately away from Anja. If she minded his smoking, she'd eventually let him know, and probably politely, not forcefully like his parents had tried to.

"As for my aspirations in life, they were playin', writing, and enjoying the music. Which I did with Riff Throttle. But simply put, I feel way too guilty to start up another band. So maybe, I'll teach music here, or somethin'. And now, to add to my list of things to do is learn to master the powers that I've found out I have. Not just for the sake of improving myself, but kinda as an oath to those I unintentionally hurt. Ya know?"

Mel took a long drag. The nicotene was good to him.

Anja Drake
Apr 18th, 2008, 04:04:41 PM
The Italian found herself drawn down to the ground next to Mel; she sat close but still far enough away as to not touch him. His life, his aspirations, his ideas were all so genuine and real; everything that Anja wished she could be or could have done.
<o></o>
His life must have been one full of excitement and…troubles; from what she heard some where more close to home than she realized. Her heart went out to him, that he had a stressed relationship with his family and that he had a very horrible thing happen to him when he first experienced his abilities. There was more about him, just like there was more about her than met the eye.
<o></o>
A troubled past for both of them; then again, it was probably true for many of the other mutants at the Cullen’s Institute as well.
<o></o>
He finished and there was a long moment of silence; the wind seemed to push his words in and around them. The smoke from his cigarette didn’t bother her much, after all, her uncle used to do the same…
<o></o>
“That’s very chivalrous of you. To take what you have now and try to make it right.” She spoke, finally breaking the silence. “It’s hard to know what to do; especially, when we are so afraid of what we have done.”
<o></o>
Anja let her statement hang in the air for a while.
<o></o>
“Again, I’m sorry for what happened between you and your family. If I knew what to do to help, I would.”
<o></o>
She cast a smile at him as she brushed a few strands of hair from her face. Their tour was over and their chat soon ran out of time….through the hedge maze there came the shrill chiming of the school bell, to indicate that morning classes were about to start.
<o></o>
With a sigh, Anja stood and straightened her clothing; she had a few classes today, and later a minor training session with Mr. Rhee.
<o></o>
“Well, that’s my bell. I have a class with Professor Bertrand in a few minutes.” She threw her hand to Mel again and helped him to his feet. “I appreciate what you told me and I thank you for it. Now, I hope that you can find you way around a little bit better.”
<o></o>
She hesitated where she stood, debating with herself where she stood. The a deep breath, she over came herself and leaned into him; she stood on the tips of her toes and brushed her lips along his cheek in a soft kiss. She turned quickly and headed off toward the mansion; it would be a miracle for her now to get to class on time. Anja flashed a grin over her shoulder and waved to Mel.
<o></o>
“Don’t forget, we have a date tonight at nine! I hope you can find the pool on your own!” She called before turning around the corner of the hedge maze, her smile was still intact. Anja was definitely looking forward to seeing him again.