PDA

View Full Version : Feeling a bit beside myself

Vipul Chandrashekar
Mar 29th, 2008, 11:41:17 PM
"Triplets, huh?"

The cab driver eyed the three Indian men from the rear view mirror. Vipul, the man in the middle of the group, spoke up.

"Yes we are all brothers coming to America on a research grant."

It was a lie. Vipul was in research, but his job was in India. A job he had no doubt been dismissed from, since he liquidated his savings to buy forged visas to come into the United States. Given the nature of his condition and that of his 'siblings', it was the only choice he had.

"What kind of research?"

"It has to do with nanobonding polymers and synthetic memory plastics."

Vipul's brother, Vipul replied. Fortunately, that caused a vacant expression from the cabbie, and the third brother, also conveniently 'Vipul', asked how far it was to the Cullen Institute.

"Another five minutes I guess. Say, what kind of work are you doing at the Freakshow, if you pardon my french?"

Vipul blinked, not familiar with the colloquialism, or at least playing dumb.

"I am very sorry sir I do not understand any French."

The cabbie shook his head as he took another turn, coming up to the outer gates.

"Forget about it."

The X-Men
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:37:17 PM
Rainah Selvano was at work in the front gardens. The woody perennials were dry and brittle from their months-long winter hibernation, but they responded immediately to her touch - the stems began flowing with nutrients again, began to push out tender white buds, began the precious cycle of sunlight into life that sustained everything living on the earth.

She looked up from her work at the sound of an approaching cab. It pulled up to the front gate and deposited three identical-looking men. Perplexed, Rainah rose to her feet, brushing the loam off her jeans, and set off toward the gate.

She was a middle-aged woman with a classical, voluptuous figure, thick, dark hair, and a hauntingly exotic face. Yet there was something about her appearance that left people wondering if they'd been seeing things correctly when they walked away afterward. Something about the olive hue of her South American complexion pushing a little too far toward green. Or about the way the grass always seemed healthier and more robust immediately beneath her feet. Or the flowers she wore in her hair, which, if you didn't know any better, you might think had grown there.

She wiped her dirty hands off on the seat of her jeans, which were dirty anyway, and said to the three gentlemen, "Can I help you?"

Vipul Chandrashekar
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:43:01 PM
The three approached the friendly-looking woman, each one holding a well-packed suitcase. The man in the center spoke.

"Madam I am looking for the administrator or the headmaster of this facility would it be possible to meet with him?"

Something about the woman put him at ease. She reminded him of his aunt.

The X-Men
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:50:28 PM
There was something a little odd about the way all three of them looked back at her with exactly the same expression, but odd was a way of life at Cullen's. Rainah certainly couldn't pass judgment there.

She smiled and said, "I'm afraid the headmaster is away on a business errand, but I'm a professor here - I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have." She held out a hand to the middle Vipul, the one who'd spoken. "Rainah Selvano. And you are?"

Vipul Chandrashekar
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:52:59 PM
The center Vipul set his suitcase on the ground, extending a hand.

"My name is Vipul Chandrashekar and I would be very pleased to speak with you as well Mrs. Selvano."

For emphasis, the other two Vipuls nodded.

The X-Men
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:54:21 PM
She clasped his hand warmly and glanced at the other two Vipuls.

"So, Vipul and...?"

Vipul Chandrashekar
Apr 19th, 2008, 08:57:26 PM
"I am also Vipul Chandrashekar."

"I too am Vipul Chandrashekar."

The center Vipul said nothing, but smiled knowingly. It should be obvious why he was now visiting the institute.

The X-Men
Apr 19th, 2008, 09:01:34 PM
Rainah glanced from Vipul to Vipul and then back to Vipul with a look of intrigue. "I see."

She looked briefly up to the clear blue sky. "It's a beautiful day today. Why don't we walk up to the Institute, and you can tell me all about yourselves."

Vipul Chandrashekar
Apr 19th, 2008, 09:10:39 PM
"I accept your gracious offer and I will tell you all I can."

The Vipuls trailed behind Rainah, each telling a part of the collective's life story.

"I was a research scientist for Dow Corning in New Dehli when I discovered my unusual trait and I must say that it has complicated my life in many curious ways."

"My girlfriend was understandably afraid of what was happening as were many in my family and I found myself unable to go about my daily life with such happenings all around."

"I have taken most of my savings to come to America and see this institute as I have heard that it is very forward in the study of deviant human genome behavior and even if I cannot return to who I was before I would at the very least like to gain an understanding of this deviance."

The X-Men
Apr 19th, 2008, 09:25:12 PM
Rainah listened patiently to the three Vipuls' story. She wasn't at all unsettled that she was speaking to three bodies with, ostensibly, one mind. Perhaps it was becaus she spent so much time with the plant kingdom and was used to the way organisms would merge and live cooperatively, or the way she herself would share their essence when she exercised her own gifts.

"I take it that when you say 'return to who you were before' you mean, go back to being one person? I'm afraid I couldn't tell you if that's possible. Everyone has their own gifts, their own challenges, and their own rewards. For many of us, it's a matter of lifelong personal study. But we can help you to learn here, to understand yourself and your gifts. That is why this Institute was founded. To provide a place for people like us to discover ourselves."

Vipul Chandrashekar
Apr 19th, 2008, 09:33:21 PM
"Yes this environment of learning and understanding is important to me as a man of science."

They arrived at the main door, and Vipul admired the scenery. It was indeed a tranquil place.

"I understand I may not find a way to become the person I was but I would be most grateful if I would be allowed to participate in attempting to learn more about our mutual genetic situation even though it is not my particular area of study."

The Vipuls took on a sheepish expression.

"I would also be willing to work in an academic position since this is a school if you in fact have such a position open since there is no such thing as a free breakfast."

Vipul's genuine expression showed that he was unaware that he had butchered the colloquialism.

The X-Men
Apr 19th, 2008, 09:46:16 PM
Rainah didn't even notice herself - English was a complicated enough language as it was without worrying about its vast lexicon of idioms. But she understood his sentiment well enough.

"I'm sure we'll be able to find something to do for men of your education," she replied. "We could certainly use another mathematics teacher - the headmaste and I have been covering an extra class each, and math is certainly not my area of expertise."

She paused by a cluster of daffodils growing near the foot of the steps to the main entrance - they had been trampled, and several stems were broken and bleeding. She knelt down and stroked the wounded stems, and they rose up straight again, their yellow flowers blooming brighter than before.

She smiled at her handiwork and stood again. "I'm sure it won't be difficult for you to find your place here, Vipul."

Vipul Chandrashekar
Apr 19th, 2008, 11:22:01 PM
All three Vipuls smiled, relieved to hear her words.

"I am most thankful Mrs. Selvano and you can rest assured you will not regret your decision as I am a very hard worker."

They watched in wonder as she mended the plant as one might form clay in their hands. Surely there was something special to these genetic aberrations, and Vipul found himself lost in his imagination.

The X-Men
Apr 20th, 2008, 09:43:12 PM
Rainah laughed - her smile was vibrant and involved every part of her face, and with the flowers (and, on closer inspection, leaves) in her hair, it made her look like a forest nymph in a painting of some Bacchinalian feast.

"Please, call me Rainah. Anyway, I'm not married. But come on inside, and we'll get you started."

She opened one of the tall front doors to admit the Vipuls into the lobby and started for the administrative office. "Will you need one application or three?"

Vipul Chandrashekar
Apr 20th, 2008, 09:48:49 PM
"I would think only one." All three Vipuls replied to that at once. Looking sheepish, the center one spoke.

"Though I seem to be able to create identical copies of myself and control them all at once I am always at all times myself and only myself."

The three scratched their heads in confusion, hoping the explanation was clear.

The X-Men
Apr 21st, 2008, 11:11:46 AM
Rainah nodded. "You're like an orchid that spreads underground and puts up new shoots nearby. You look like separate individuals, but you're all the same person. Is that right?"

She shivered as she passed out of the sunlight, even though it was ten degrees warmer inside than out.

"I'm sure it must be very confusing. I remember how I felt when I first found I could communicate with plants. I thought I was going crazy."

Vipul Chandrashekar
Apr 28th, 2008, 02:17:46 AM
"Yes it sounds very similar to this thing you describe."

As they entered, another Vipul spoke.

"The hardest part of it is concentration on the tasks at hand as it is in a way of making sure the right hand knows what the left hand is doing."