PDA

View Full Version : Angels and Demons (Anja)

Dragon
Mar 6th, 2008, 10:55:55 AM
The practice rooms built off one side of the athletic wing were among the most impressive facilities that Cullen's Institute for the Gifted had to offer. The building itself was rated as a shelter in case of tornado, earthquake, flood, and fire, and it could possibly withstand a direct airstrike. Inside, the cavernous space was sectioned off into sixteen chambers each a bit larger than a racquetball court. The composite floor had anchor points for a variety of different covers, padded or hard, depending on the needs of the session. Everything was modular; even the walls between the chambers could be retracted to form a larger space.

But John Rhee knew this session didn't require any special equipment - just a contained room, a closed arena for Anja to confront her fears.

The Korean mutant slung his duffel into one corner of the room. It contained just a few amenities - water, powerbars, towels, a first aid kit. He was barefoot and clad in a white gi, his customary uniform for athletic training. He'd decided against wearing any sort of protective gear. He didn't want to risk communicating a lack of confidence in Anja, and, anyway, he was so in-tune with his body that he felt safer and freer without any cumbersome padding.

John strode out to the center of the floor, which was firm enough to grant good footing but springy enough to cushion a fall. Clasping his hands behind his back, he closed his eyes to meditate and feel out the spiritual energy in the room. Anja would be arriving soon.

Anja Drake
Mar 9th, 2008, 06:59:02 PM
Nervous. That was a complete and utter understatement. Anja was practically shaking in her sandals as she approached the practice room Mr. Rhee had told her to go to. She carried a sport bag that contained; an extra set of clothing, socks, her Converse sneakers, and a pendant in the shape of the cross. She wasn’t a real believer in God, but she carried it with her because her mother had always wanted her to.
<o></o>
Anja took a deep breath before pushing the door to the room open; it was very strange when she entered. She sensed Mr. Rhee easily, but for some reason it felt like she couldn’t sense anything on the outside of the room when the door shut behind her.
<o></o>
At the feeling of the room around her, Anja shivered and butterflies stirred in her stomach. She was about to say something to the professor, who was standing in the center of the room, but she realized that he was not quite there. His aura had altered slightly and she wasn’t exactly sure what to do.
<o></o>
She set her bag down next to the doorway and observed her surrounding carefully. It didn’t make sense to her that she could “see” outside the room, but she put it behind her. Anja took a seat on the floor and removed her sandals, so she was bare foot. She pulled her sweatshirt off and set it over her bag. She wore old clothing; a faded navy t-shirt and worn black track shorts, it was hard to say what would happen next.
<o></o>
She sat cross-legged and silently waited for Mr. Rhee.

Dragon
Mar 10th, 2008, 09:14:14 AM
John could hear the door open, but more than that he could feel the energy in the room change when Anja walked in. Her tension sent frantic vibrations through the whole chamber. That was not good. He would need to find a way to relax her.

He opened his eyes and found her seated against the wall. "Hello, Anja," he said. "How are you feeling today?"

Anja Drake
Mar 10th, 2008, 05:36:48 PM
"How are you feeling today?"

That simple question seemed so hard to answer at this time. There had been and still were a multitude of emotions that flung themselves in and out of her body all that morning and Anja forced herself to focus on Mr. Rhee. She took a deep breath and let it out very slowly.

"I'm alright." She said, almost too quickly. "However, I haven't been this nervous in a long time."

She braced her hands on the floor before uncrossing her legs to stand up.

Dragon
Mar 10th, 2008, 11:11:01 PM
"I can understand that," John said disarmingly. "But I want to reassure you that we're not going to be jumping into this unprepared."

He crossed the floor toward Anja and took his seat beside her. "One of the keys to learning how to control your mutation is what we call the trigger. It's whatever it is that turns your abilities on. Sometimes it's a certain frame of mind. Sometimes it has to do with muscle movement. A lot of the time, it's based on your emotional state. In my case, it's sort of a combination of all three.

"From your experience, Anja, what would you say is the trigger for your transformations?"

Anja Drake
Mar 11th, 2008, 12:16:56 AM
She blinked at him. There were so many things...

"My emotions are trivial to my transformations." Anja sighed and leaned her back up against the cool wall. "Anger, hate, happiness, envy, jealously, passion, pain...everything really. I've felt so many different things right before I've gone into transformation, some things I don't remember."

She paused and thought for a moment; she thought back to orientation. Carlos...fire.

"But, it's not just emotions now that I look back on things. I've had a few instances when I've transformed out of things I have felt, like heat or extreme cold, and out of things I've 'seen'."

She paused again. Peering at the faint, delicate tones of the outlining aura around Mr. Rhee's features, it suddenly hit Anja that she had forgotten to tell him one of the biggest wonders of her transformation.

"The Angel can see, you know." Her voice was hushed, as if she were telling him some big secret, which in reality she really was. She didn't think anybody knew about this, not even her mother; John Rhee was the first person to ever know. "She isn't blind."

Dragon
Mar 11th, 2008, 11:13:54 AM
John blinked in surprise. "That's... that's truly extraordinary. I had been wondering if your perception differed - I wouldn't have guessed it was that different."

He resisted the impulse to pepper her with questions, to try to work out the details, the differences in perception, in thought - but this wasn't the time for that. Anja hadn't come to satisfy his curiosity about the mechanics of her gift.

"It may not be a particular emotion that triggers your ability, but from what you've told me... perhaps it's instances of strong emotion? Or perceptions of danger? Maybe it's associated with moments of high adrenalin, a sort of defense mechanism. You see, Anja, usually finding the trigger is a big part of learning control. And I know you already have some control, because you felt the Angel coming on you in class, and you resisted it. If you can key in on that control, develop it, expand it, you may be able to prevent these transformations... or even take back control of yourself when you've already transformed. I think that's what we want to work on in here."

Anja Drake
Mar 11th, 2008, 05:17:47 PM
Anja nodded slowly.
<o></o>
Hopefully soon, she would be able to get her powers under control. The sooner the better, too. There was nothing more that she wanted then to be a regular careless teenager.
<o></o>
Her life, up until now, had been carefully planned; her parents would monitor her movements constantly, just so there was no outside threat near her. She wanted to be free, wanted a relatively controlled life; one without constant worry about turning into a killing machine at any moment.
<o></o>
She breathed deeply again. “Where do we start?”

Dragon
Mar 12th, 2008, 10:36:10 PM
"You told me that you were certain the Angel is a part of you," John said. "If that is the case, we are talking about a battle of the mind. And to win that battle, you'll need to build your confidence. I know it's a daunting challenge, but you've got to keep reminding yourself - you are stronger than she is. You are the master of your body, not her. The fact that I'm talking to you now is proof of that."

He reached over and lightly squeezed her shoulder. "But first off, you're going to need to find a way to relax. If you go into this scared, you're already giving the Angel a foothold. Now, I want you to take a few slow, deep breaths. Slow everything down."

John's voice became quiet and steady, nearly a whisper. "Listen to the room. The hum of the lights. The rush of the air vents. Feel the floor beneath you. The wall behind you. You are aware of everything around you, and you are in control."

He stood and slowly backed away, never taking his eyes off the girl seated against the wall.

"Anja? How do you feel?"

Anja Drake
Mar 13th, 2008, 12:02:19 AM
Anja nodded respectfully and cut off her senses to focus on what exactly he was telling her to listen too. Anja Drake was ready.
<o></o>
"Listen to the room."
<o></o>
She did, the sound was nearly nonexistent, but there was something there, something soft and gentle.
<o></o>
“The hum of the lights.”
<o></o>
The hushed buzz, filling her ears and as the time went by…the butterflies, very slowly, began to fade. The contents of her mind remained blank, she was listening, only listening; to both the sound around her and the whisper-like breath coming from herself as she quietly repeated what he said.
<o></o>
“The rush of the air vents.”
<o></o>
She heard it; short, quiet, smooth gusts blowing in and out of the room, the ever constant whoosh of the fan behind the vent. It all was beginning to sound like a song; a one with both a silent, combining melody and harmony.
<o></o>
“Feel the floor beneath you.”
<o></o>
The sound mixed with feeling was like nothing else, she felt as if she was on air and her bare toes curled instinctively at the sensation.
<o></o>
“The wall behind you.”
<o></o>
Her head was swimming in the hypnotizing song and dance of the room; it was like nothing she had ever experienced…she had never felt this much peace before.
<o></o>
“You are aware of everything around you, and you are in control."
<o></o>
Anja breathed out a great breath, her body feeling at an extreme ease, and her mind was nothing less than at nirvana. She hadn’t of thought she would’ve caught on so quickly; but with every breath her being was more and more relaxed.
<o></o>
…she sat in silence…
<o></o>
Time went by; minutes, seconds….hours maybe? She didn’t know how long she was there…just listening. It was nice, it truly was.
<o></o>
”Anja? How do you feel?”
<o></o>
The girl sat for a moment before sighing, her butterflies nearly gone. “I’m better.”
<o></o>
She never stopped listening to her surroundings. “I’ve never felt like this.”

Dragon
Mar 13th, 2008, 12:53:33 AM
John smiled. "That's good," he said. "That's very good."

It was refreshing to see her at peace, to see her freed from her anxiety, and he wanted to let her enjoy the respite, but he knew they had to press on.

"I want you to remember this state of mind, this sort of focused awareness. It grounds you in the moment. I think you can use this as a lifeline. When you feel yourself slipping, when you feel the Angel taking control... if you can anchor yourself and your senses to your surroundings, you might find the strength to keep from succumbing."

Now it was time to put his theory - and Anja's nerve - to the test. "Our object here is not to destroy the Angel. She's part of you, and to lose her would diminish you. The goal is to make sure she only does what you allow her to do. Do you think you're ready to try, Anja?"

Anja Drake
Mar 13th, 2008, 06:01:48 PM
She breathing skipped a short breath when he spoke. However, she remembered herself and returned to the sound of the room.

The Angel was a perfect being; flawless, fierce, generous, caring, blood-thristy, wicked, evil, pure, beautiful, kind, strong, skillful, and as Anja's mother had said, God sent. Her transformation was nothing like anyone else's in the fact that sometimes it seemed to have a mind of its own...although it may have been a subconcious or hidden side of Anja's personality.

Anja didn't believe in God, or at least she didn't believe that there was one Almighty Lord that created mankind. So her mothers assumptions really ment nothing to her.

She closed her eyes and breathed once more. "I'll try, Mr. Rhee."

Dragon
Mar 13th, 2008, 09:32:18 PM
John took a breath himself. He had been preparing for this ever since he and Anja had spoken just a few nights ago. There was often a risk in helping a student explore his or her mutation, but rarely did the risk involve possibly having to fight off the student herself.

"I'm going to try to trigger your abilities, Anja," he said. "What I want you to do is to anchor yourself to this place. If you feel yourself slipping, if you want me to stop, tell me, and I'll stop immediately."

He stood in the middle of the room, still attuned to its rhythm and pulse, which had become considerably more peaceful since Anja had quieted her mind. He was about to change that. Closing his eyes, he spread out his arms and called the Dragon.

His ch'i boiled up inside him with volcanic potential, swirling with both light and dark energy, yin and yang, the sum of all his passion, rage, joy, and fear, which he habitually kept in check. The power rose from his core and flowed down into his arms and doubled back on itself, burning itself off in the aura that John had shown Anja before. His arms were engulfed in it, a shimmering, crimson glow that took the shape of draconic talons.

He had shown Anja a glimpse before. This was different. He wasn't holding back the force of his ch'i this time. The room, which had been so stable and tranquil, was now full of chaotic energy.

Anja Drake
Mar 14th, 2008, 12:21:23 AM
"...ok-"

She barely even got to finish her consent before Mr. Rhee started up his own ability; the peaceful mental state that Anja had created only moments before nearly folded in on itself at the sudden chaos. She gasped and her breath hastily began to hitch in her throat and the butterflies, that she wished would never come, hurried to return to her stomach....Oh, God...

Her senses were everywhere; flinging themselves from each corner and crevice to, in her slowly fading mind set, the impending force in front of her...

"Threat!" Something scream from the distant sub-levels of her conscious being. The chaos was throwing her thoughts into a frenzy; there was no chance, no chance in hell that she could hold on....not for long at least.

Eyes squeezed shut and teeth clenched in a harsh, rigid grip. Listen to the room. The hum of the lights. The rush of the air vents. Feel the floor beneath you. The wall behind you. You are aware of everything around you, and you are in control. Her thoughts were desperately trying to keep a hold of everything Mr. Rhee had said. She had to hold on she just had to.

As much as she wished it, she wouldn't hold out for much longer; Anja knew that the first stage of her transformation was coming and fast.

Dragon
Mar 14th, 2008, 01:12:05 AM
John's eyes snapped open to witness Anja struggling against the pull of transformation.

His own ability was pulling him as well, but years of discipline kept the chaos in his ch'i from overcoming him. But Anja didn't have that familiarity, and the Angel was coming on her with a violence he hadn't anticipated. She was losing her battle.

He didn't wait for her to ask. With a thought, he calmed his spirit, and the aura vanished, like a flame whose fuel was exhausted.

"Anja," he said. "Anja! Stay with me. Focus on my voice, on the room, on your senses! Focus!"

He took a step toward her, cautiously, fearing he may have already pushed her too far.

Anja Drake
Mar 14th, 2008, 02:06:31 AM
She couldn’t hear him anymore.
<o></o>
Opening her eyes, Anja could see that she was heading down a path she didn’t want to be traveling…she could see. Her eyes were burning as she knew that the fire blazed eyes that the Angel possessed had spilled over the color of her normally dark iris’; sight was not something she was used to and the burning was only adding to the strangeness. She saw the room; hard, textured walls, the padded floor on which she sank to her knees on, her and the professor’s bag, the door in which she had come through, fan ducts, hanging lights, and then Mr. Rhee.
<o></o>
He looked worried, she could tell it from his features, every feature; his eyes, his creased brow, and she could tell by the way he approached her cautiously that he was concerned.
<o></o>
Fearful to even look, Anja shifted her gaze to her hands in front of her; she was shaking and her tanned skin was in the process of peeling and ripping apart right before Mr. Rhee’s eyes… the skin underneath her own was a translucent, snowy white.
<o></o>
She didn’t want him to see her. It hurt so much! It was miraculous that she was being so quiet.
<o></o>
She shut her eyes hard again as a new pain began to emerge in the upper part of her back; she didn’t know if Mr. Rhee could see or not but underneath the skin of her back a bubbling sensation slithered and bumps the size of half-dollars were gathering to let the true part of the Angel burst free. She wanted to scream…
<o></o>
But she heard his voice again…Listen it yelled at her!
<o></o>
Anja snapped back, she remembered…listen…listen…listen to the room…She could feel the transformation slowing, maybe even diminishing. Her skin wasn’t alive anymore and the small bubble domes had flattened slightly. She was remembering, she was getting control back. She opened her eyes and found her vision was no longer there, her sense was back.
<o></o>
Anja was able to breathe again; she leaned forward in a lurching motion and braced herself with her hands sprawled out and arms locked. She suddenly realized it…she had to do this and it wouldn’t end until she could beat it. A shivered breath was exhaled through her clenched teeth.
<o></o>
“Don’t stop. Please.” The young mutant pleaded desperately. “I need to do this, again.”
<o>
</o>

Dragon
Mar 14th, 2008, 08:11:40 AM
John was there, kneeling beside her and gently holding her around the shoulders. "Give yourself a minute," he said. "I know it takes a lot out of you. Here."

He rose, went to his duffel, and brought back a bottle of water and set it by Anja's hand. "I've also got some powerbars if you need something to eat. You're doing well, Anja. I didn't want to risk overwhelming you on the first attempt. But if you want, I'll wait for your cue before stopping this time."

He gave her another five minutes to rest. And then he took his place in the center of the room and waited for Anja's nod. The Dragon aura spread over his arms, once more filling the room with chaotic energy.

Anja Drake
Mar 15th, 2008, 09:50:51 AM
She didn’t move toward the water, she couldn’t move. Her body was stuck in a quivering shake and her fingers dug into the padded floor beneath her. The professor was right, even half transformations took a lot to control. But there was it wasn’t the end yet. She stayed were she was and waited for Mr. Rhee.
<o></o>
When it came, it engulfed her body and the striking pain returned. The pain, itself, was unimaginable, it wasn’t like getting burned but it wasn’t quite like breaking a bone either.
<o></o>
Her breathing became hard and ragged again, matching her shaking body. The chaos around her was getting hard and hard to resist and the pain of resisting was pushing her to the breaking point…and yet, she was still trying to listen to the room.
<o></o>
She was trying to hang on.
<o></o>
‘It hurts so much.’ Her mind was screaming at her and her will was failing. The domes of skin formed again on her back and her vision began to clear. It felt like she was slipping faster than the first time. ‘C’mon, focus. Listen.’
<o></o>
But, she couldn’t hear anything anymore, there was only pain.
<o></o>
“S…s…st-” She was trying to get Mr. Rhee to stop, it hurt so much. But her voice was nothing more than a whisper; her vocal cords were constricting. Oh, god, her skin suddenly melted off to reveal the white, shining skin underneath. The domes on her back formed into two just below her shoulder blades; with an ear splitting rip, bat-like, demonic wings split through her skin and shredded the back of her shirt.
<o></o>
“No!” she screamed, even she wasn’t sure if she were yelling at herself or Mr. Rhee. The fire of the Angel spread into her eyes. “No, stop!”
<o></o>
Her voice suddenly dropped into one that sounded organ like, one full of deep beauty, and one of sadistic evil. Tears spilled down her face and trickled onto the padding of the floor. "...it's too late..."

Dragon
Mar 15th, 2008, 06:31:29 PM
John had stopped - as soon as he saw the terrible toll the metamorphosis was taking on Anja. But, just as he'd feared, she'd already gone too far, and he could only watch in horrified fascination as the girl tranformed into a nightmarish apparition.

"Anja..."

But when the creature lifted her head, there was no trace of Anja in her obsidian eyes. Eyes that were focused directly on his.

John stared back unflinchingly. "I am speaking to Anja Drake. I know you're there. Listen to my voice and come back to me."

Anja Drake
Mar 15th, 2008, 10:36:23 PM
With one last alteration and the transformation was complete and what remained was a creature only to be believed to be part of fairytales. Anja's nails finished growing; they had stretched into clawlike talons which appeared grusomely, fiercesome.

"It's too late, old man." The Angel spoke, her eyes never leaving Mr. Rhee. He was a threat to her, he was tring to change her back. A twisted smile, followed by echoing laughter; a pair of short, sharp fangs were settled where Anja's canines had been. The man she was looking at was nothing more than a simpleton. "It's only me now."

The Angel stood up and faced the mutant man. The wings sprouting from her back flexed to full length; they easily spread over half the room. "She isn't coming back soon."

The Death Angel lunged forward with her talons extended, her fangs gleaming. "I won't let her!"

Dragon
Mar 16th, 2008, 02:51:30 PM
John's arms erupted again, and he met her talons with his own - where she clawed at him, his aura flashed with white brilliance and resisted her. She ripped at the sleeves of his gi, but his flesh was unharmed. Still, he was taken aback by her increased strength, and the force of her rush made him backpedal.

He quickly regained his balance and danced nimbly around the Angel in the center of the practice mat, taking care to mind her powerful-looking wings on either side.

"Who are you?" he demanded. "And why have you taken possession of an innocent girl?"

Anja Drake
Mar 16th, 2008, 09:13:02 PM
Their talons met dead on again and again; it thrilled her.

The Angel's body flung around and dropped into a crouch, her body contorted and shuddered as a wave of reverse-transformation came over her. Anja was trying to come back; too bad for her that was so weak, she would be lost for a while longer. The Angel moved slowly into an assertive position; much like a lion ready to pounce on her prey.

"The Drake girl isn't as innocent as you believe she is." She stated gravely, sounding almost as if she cared about Anja. "You'll have to ask her about it sometime."

Again the Angel threw her body forward, but this time aimed low, towards his legs; her wings ready to lift her into unexpected flight when she had him where he wanted him. Her face lifted into maniacal grin...this wasn't Anja at all.

"Ask her about Venice!" She screeched as she thrust her talons forward towards his legs, ever watchful of his hands.

Dragon
Mar 16th, 2008, 09:30:00 PM
John saw the Angel's skin ripple, and he knew it was Anja fighting back. So she was in there and aware - he would do everything in his power to help her regain control.

But the moment of uncertainty was all too short, and he barely had time to think before she launched herself at him again.

She was aiming low, so John got lower, bracing his arms to grapple with her. But she drove on right through him, forcing him onto his back, and lifted off anyway. With a grunt, he torqued his body to the side to swing her off-course, and that was all that kept her from slamming him head-first into a wall. They rolled to the floor in a heap.

John tried his best to hold her down, but the beating wings and slashing claws were almost too much for him. "You haven't answered my question," he growled through clenched teeth. "Explain yourself! What gives you the right to hold her hostage?"

Anja Drake
Mar 16th, 2008, 09:57:41 PM
The pressure of the mutant over her was harsh and his abilities were masterful, but the young Angel had fought with things like him before; she had fought many other mutants. She barred her sharpened teeth at him, how dare he?!

"I have the right because I am a part of her, just as she is a part of me." Her back arched in attempt to throw him off, but he held fast. She was furious and her actions revealed it. Wildly she thrashed underneath him and the more she did, the more his grip seemed to strengthen. "We share her body."

She halted her actions briefly and panted underneath the hold of the man. Her eyes went wild. "We had an agreement, or so I thought. She stopped letting me use her body years ago. Then she came her to get...help."

"She broke our agreement!" A scream tore through the air; her wings folding inward and hooking underneath his abdomen; with an unhumanly force she pushed him backwards. In all reality, this probably didn't make sense to Mr. Rhee; it must have not sounded like a mutation...but the Angel had always been skillful at lying; this was just the dark side of Anja's personality. Everyone had one, but Anja's actually appeared in a physical form. The only part that was truely accturate in what the Angel had said was that they shared Anja's body, it was within herself that the mutation lay.

"Why do you care about her?!"

Dragon
Mar 16th, 2008, 10:46:18 PM
It felt like being punched in the chest by a grizzly bear. The wings launched John backwards through the air - he hit the ground tumbling and scrambled awkwardly to his feet, fighting to squeeze air back into his lungs.

"I care," he rasped, "because she is my student. Because she is a precious young woman who has the capacity to love, to learn, to give, to inspire herself and others."

John raised his arms defensively, and his aura grew - the ethereal flames spread up to his shoulders and coalesced into glowing reptilian spines.

"What do you have to offer? What makes you worthy to share her existence?"

Anja Drake
Mar 17th, 2008, 06:11:16 AM
"I offer her excitement." The Angel growled deeply. "I offer her the chance to be what everyone really wants to be."

The black waterfall of hair that fell down and over the Angels shoulders only accented the savage like sound that came from her throat. His offensive power shift sent her into a frenzy of angry summons...this was a battled between the controlled and the uncontrolled.

"I am her, I am a part of who she is. One could say I'm the tortured side of her, I'm all the pain that has been her in her life." The voice faltered and her eyes lost its fire. "No!" Anja's voice screamed, it almost didn't sound like her. But as soon as it was there, it was gone, and the fire returned. "It's amusing that she is still trying to return to you."

"She doesn't show and never did show the anger and hurt that came to her and so now I prey off her every emotion. Her life is nothing more than an emotionless state because she tries to ignore me." The Angel chuckled before readying herself to attack once again. "If I didn't liberate her, she would die easily."

Again, she lunged forward, her wings holding her body in an assault half from the air and half from the ground.

Dragon
Mar 17th, 2008, 09:14:02 AM
John was ready this time - he lunged forward to meet her. He turned as her talons met his face, and he took a pair of jagged, bloody gashes across his cheek, but at the same moment he connected a fist with her solar plexus. His aura deformed around her body for a split second, and then, with a crack like a gunshot, it rebounded with explosive force. The shockwave staggered John, but it blasted the Angel backwards and sent her skidding over the floor.

John fell to one knee and glowered at his foe. "So you're a parasite," he said derisively. "You lurk in the shadows of her soul and feed off of her emotions. Is this really the existence you want?"

He stood up and began circling her again. "You say she isn't complete without you. Well, what are you without her? You're just a shadow,
a fairy-tale monster. You can take lives, but you have no life of your own. What if you could change that? What if you could both be complete?"

Anja Drake
Mar 17th, 2008, 05:26:18 PM
The creature rolled and came up on one knee her wings curled forward, the breath more than knocked out of her lungs; it was a punch had been thrown in good placement. If it had been Anja as a person, it would have broken a few ribs for sure. The Angel looked into the eyes of John Rhee; her eyes almost looking into his soul and a small amount of blood trickled out of the side of her lips.

"I suppose I am a parasite." She stated comfortably, the fact didn't bother her at all. "We would die without eachother; I wouldn't exist and she couldn't function, she'd be a vegetable."

Her figure stiffened and her vision disappeared but her body stayed in shape. The Angel had a disadvantage now, she wasn't used to being blind, her senses were not as sensative as Anja's and the disability was costly. However, she attempted not to show it.

"You say she isn't complete without you. Well, what are you without her? You're just a shadow, a fairy-tale monster. You can take lives, but you have no life of your own. What if you could change that? What if you could both be complete?"

"I'm not the only one that takes lives." The Angel smiled uneasily, pointing her answer at the man. She blinked as she laughed hallowly, this blindness was a nuisance. "Even so, I couldn't live seperated from her body. We live completely right now; only, she broke our agreement so naturally she must be punished. Her lack of control is only a mere side of this punishment."

The Angel rose again, licking the blood at the corner of her mouth. She didn't take the offensive right away; her sight was holding her back. "You seem to care too much."

Dragon
Mar 17th, 2008, 07:47:23 PM
Something had changed, ever so slightly, in the Angel's demeanor. John wasn't sure what it was - maybe he was breaking through on some level, or maybe it was Anja breaking through from the other side. Either way, he took it as a good sign that she hadn't rushed to attack him again.

"I already told you why I care," he replied, ignoring the blood pooling on his cheek. "I made a promise to help Anja. And if you really are so closely linked, then what helps Anja will help you, too. But if you keep on fighting her, you'll be diminished, not strengthened. Look. I have made peace with my demons, and I am strong enough to oppose you."

He had to better understand their relationship, Anja and the Angel. To that end, and to illustrate his sincerity, he felt he had to take a monumental risk. He reached inside himself and quieted his spirit, and the Dragon aura faded away.

John stared coolly at the Angel, unaware that she wasn't looking back. "Tell me - what is that you want?"

Anja Drake
Mar 17th, 2008, 08:20:23 PM
“That may be so,” she addressed the issue that what would help Anja would help her. “But, what makes you think I want to be helped by you?”
<o></o>
Her actions were stiff but she managed to move, with some helpful sense to his flank. She wasn’t finished yet, not matter how close Anja was to reclaiming her body as her own. Mr. Rhee’s power had faded away, what was he planning? It had to be something more that just to talk, it couldn’t be just over.
<o></o>
Was he going to compromise? This wasn’t something he could simply talk her out of
<o></o>
“What I want, John Rhee, is nothing more than to be left alone. But I know that my request will always be denied. One – because I live as another person and share a body. And two – my ‘other’ wants to be helped by you. It's never going to be about what I want.”
<o></o>
With deep concentration, the Angel pushed Anja away again and the blazing sight returned, along with a clever smile. “Now, why are you being so amateur? You never let down your guard!”
<o></o>
She flew into the air with great speed.

Dragon
Mar 17th, 2008, 08:55:17 PM
That was it - John knew he would get nowhere with this creature, not until Anja showed she could dominate her.

He didn't call on his power again. He watched her arc through the air, ready to leap away from wherever she chose to land, and shouted, "Anja! Take her back, now!"

Mastering the rush of adrenalin, he turned his ch'i inward, and it began radiating peace like an incoming tide.

Anja Drake
Mar 17th, 2008, 09:32:43 PM
The Angel shimmered where she was in the air; a signal that his voice had reached Anja.

That moment of alteration, cause the Angel to plummet from the air and land relative harshly on the padded floor. No! This couldn't happen; this was all too fun. The creature gasped and drew in on herself; it hurt her just as much as it hurt Anja when she "de-transformed".

"This isn't over." The eyes of the Angel found the eyes of Mr. Rhee, she studied him, what she saw was what Anja would remember. Her eyes turned almost simpathetic; the fire soon disappeared and the hazel eyes of a simple blind girl returned. "I'll see you again, soon."

The screaming returned and the demon wings folded around her. Anja was reappearing in frantic fury of twitching spasms. The pain she felt was beyond anything humanly managable.

Each wing one at a time fell into a fine dust, before fading away completely. Anja lay, in the shredded remains of her clothes, quivering in the aftershocks of her return.

Dragon
Mar 17th, 2008, 09:43:01 PM
John rushed to her side and held her, but he was powerless to stop the spasms of pain that were torturing her slight body. It seemed unimaginable that this vulnerable creature had just moments ago been such a deadly monster.

He rubbed her back lightly, careful to avoid the welts where her wings had faded. "It's all right, Anja," he said. "It's over now. You overcame her. You did well."

Anja Drake
Mar 18th, 2008, 06:19:11 AM
The last of the spasms came when the last of the pure white pigment faded from her naturally tan appearance. The aftershock of the whole ordeal was one thing but dealing with what she had done during the ordeal was something else. Anja felt sore and there was nothing stopping a flood of emotions to surge through her system.

After every transformation, emotions engulfed her body. It was only natural that she expierence something of the sort and it never really hurt her either, the Angel wouldn't come back so quickly again, but still it left the girl feeling overwhelmed.

She laid against Mr. Rhee until everything quieted; her shaking, her breathing, her 'wave' of new emotions. It took everything she had not to cry, she rose her head only a margin to peer around the room; her sense completely restored.

The was an area of disturbed padding just a few feet from where they were seated; no doubt a slashing from the claws or sharpened wings of the Angel.

Her senses and eyes were on John now. What was it like for him to see that?

"I hurt you." her voice was barely there; but the familiar, warm Italien accent had returned to its rightful owner. "I'm sorry."

Dragon
Mar 18th, 2008, 08:17:51 AM
John cradled her and waited patiently until she seemed to regain some of her strength. Then he leaned back to give her some space. "Nothing Duncan can't cure in a few seconds," he said. "How about you? I hit you pretty hard, I'm afraid."

He glanced back toward his duffel and the gym bag she had brought in - it occurred to him she might want the sweatshirt she had taken off at the outset. "Can I get anything for you?"

Anja Drake
Mar 18th, 2008, 04:45:58 PM
"Maybe a small bump." If her lie wasn't apparent, who know what was. There was a blackening circle the size of a softball forming just under her sternum. The bruise would take a while to heal but it wasn't the worst injury she ever had.

Anja gently pulled away from Mr. Rhee; her body was sore, very sore. Whether it had been from him or the transformation, she wasn't quite sure. She meekly pulled the remains of her clothing the best she could around her; she was fairly comfortable with the fact that the torn clothing left a lot of her revealed but she knew that there was nothing else that could be done.

Her head nodded slowly, before attempting to stand up. "I just need my bag."

Dragon
Mar 18th, 2008, 06:07:17 PM
John was no stranger to injury. He could tell the jerky stiffness in Anja's movement wasn't from exhaustion. They were both beaten and bruised more than they would care to admit.

"Just stay there, no need to rush," he said. He retrieved his duffel and Anja's gym bag and left them both beside her on the floor. "There's also a couple ice packs in my bag - just twist the tops, and they'll get cold."

It was then that he realized the state of Anja's clothing, and he stepped back, blushing lightly. "I'll, ah... I'll leave you alone to change."

John turned and stepped out of the practice room and only then lifted a finger to the cuts on his cheek. Now that his adrenalin high was coming down, they stung furiously.

He made his way to the phone at the end of the hall and dialed. "Duncan? It's John. Just finished my first session with Anja, and I think we both could use some patching up."

Pan
Mar 18th, 2008, 06:46:34 PM
"Alright, I'm on my way."

Duncan put the phone down on his desk and stood. He was in the middle of a biology lesson and fortunately, the students were facing their bi-monthly pop quiz so he wasn't required to be present. He crossed the lab, silent except for the scratching of pens on paper, and asked one of the technicians to cover for him.

On his way to the vast training facility, Duncan wondered what the extent of their injuries would be - he had never witnessed Anja's mutation in action but from what he'd heard at staff meetings, it was potentially lethal. He quickened his pace and took a short cut through the gymnasium. Soon enough, he found John stood outside one of the practice rooms and gave him a quick glance from head to toe.

"What's the damage?"

Dragon
Mar 18th, 2008, 06:59:14 PM
John turned, giving Duncan a clear view of the twin gashes down the side of his face. He'd mopped up the blood with a handkerchief, but the wounds were still angry red and puffy.

"Just got a few scratches and bruises," he said, "but I'm more concerned about Anja. She transformed fully, and it took a lot out of her. She's reverted now... I'm not even sure she's used to reverting over such a short period. I think she could use your touch."

He walked over to the door and gripped the handle, but he waited. "She's still changing," he explained. "Er - clothes."

Anja Drake
Mar 18th, 2008, 07:32:19 PM
When Mr. Rhee left, Anja was slow to get moving. Normally, when she was transformed back into herself, she was alone and no one was waiting for her. The Institute was so much different than home; there was a lot of pressure on her not to transform on the spot and go a raving rampage.
<o></o>
Taking her time with every motion, she began to peel off the remains of her t-shirt and shorts until only her undergarments were present. Reaching into her bag, Anja pulled out a fresh turquoise ribbed tank top and a pair of black sweatpants. Her couldn’t handle the harshness of jeans or a sweatshirt at the moment, her body was just too sensitive.
<o></o>
When she was finished putting them on, she rolled back onto the matt. She lay on her side in a curled heap; her back was sore from the wings that had come from underneath her skin and her abdomen was in a state of numbing pain and the bruise that formed there was turning blackish purple.
<o></o>
She breathed quietly; listening to the room, just like John had said.

Dragon
Mar 19th, 2008, 12:40:34 PM
John waited a few more moments and slowly opened the door. As soon as he saw Anja clothed and lying in a fetal position, he stepped inside and beckoned Duncan to follow.

"Anja, I've brought Professor MacLaverty to look you over. Is that all right with you?"

He gave Duncan a worried glance - he was mortified that the exercise had left Anja in such a pitiable state.

Pan
Mar 19th, 2008, 01:12:42 PM
He saw the expression on John's face before he entered the practice room to find Anja lying broken on the floor. He shared his concern but also felt a twinge of anger that a training session with a student had gone so far. The thought was quickly pushed aside as he kneeled down next to the girl, he tried to catch her eye but she looked too exhausted to focus. His voice was soft.

"Hello Anja. This is Duncan. I'm here to treat your injuries."

He held out an open hand.

Anja Drake
Mar 19th, 2008, 05:14:50 PM
She nodded tiredly and sat up slowly. The soreness in her body was taking a toll and all she felt like doing was taking a very long nap. It barely registered to her that she was sitting; her whole world seemed to be in one giant haze.
<o></o>
Her thoughts wandered; from her mother, to her home in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Italy</st1:country-region>, to<st1:state w:st="on"><st1> New York</st1> City </st1:state>where Artisn had taken her, then back to the training room…Her senses danced in a disorientated state, hazel eyes kept closed as she breathed shallowly.
<o></o>
The last thing she thought before <st1><st1:city w:st="on">Professor MacLaverty</st1:city></st1> went to work on her wounds was about Mr. Rhee. The poor man probably thought this was his fault. She sensed him by the door and her senses followed

"It's not...your fault." Anja spoke in a broken sentence; her voice must have sounded lost and confused; but she address Mr. Rhee just the same. "...you were...helping..me."

Dragon
Mar 19th, 2008, 07:40:54 PM
John hung back to give Anja some sympathetic distance, and to give Duncan plenty of room to work. He couldn't find anything to say to respond to her, but he was grateful nonetheless.

They would have to take a careful look at how to approach this next time - but now wasn't the time to think about next time.

He was relieved that Duncan had been available. John knew how to dress and treat injuries, but Duncan had the soul and the spirit of a healer. Anja was better off in his hands.

Pan
Mar 19th, 2008, 08:54:05 PM
"Try to relax," he whispered.

He took her hand in his and held it gently. There was a comforting warmth between their fingers. His eyes focused on her face first of all, she looked strong enough to sit for the duration and by the end of it, would feel strong enough to become mobile once more. His gaze fell to her bruises and wounds and with perfect timing, they started to shrink until they were but a speck on her skin and then nothing at all. He smiled.

"Feeling better?"

Anja Drake
Mar 19th, 2008, 10:56:30 PM
A look of disbelief stretched across her features, the soreness and pain went away with in a few mintues and what was once a massive bruise was nothing but her natural skin. Anja blinked unbelievingly, it was nothing short of a miracle in a sense.

The warmth coming from Duncan's hand was comforting and the stiffness in her limbs was gone; a smile began to grow of her lips as she began to move her legs until they were stretched out.

"Feeling better?"

Anja's senses were focused quite a bit better than before and her attention was on Mr. MacLaverty. There was a gracious smile beaming at him.

"Yes, much better." The grin never faltered. "Thank you."

Dragon
Mar 21st, 2008, 09:33:59 AM
Duncan's gift was nothing less than extraordinary, and John had never been more grateful for his colleague's expert touch. He was sure Anja was still exhausted, but otherwise it looked as if the Angel had never visited her.

"I'm very glad to hear that," John said, kneeling beside Duncan. "Anja, you've been very brave. I'm sorry this was so taxing for you. There's a lot I want to talk to you about, but I think that can wait for tomorrow."

Anja Drake
Mar 21st, 2008, 10:36:27 AM
The soreness was still slightly there, but that was to be expected. Anja released Duncan's hand when he was finished.

"Thank you again, Professor McLaverty. I appreciate you coming here, I know you were probably busy." Her grin from before began to fade but she stayed seated on the padded flooring. There was something more that she needed to do before she was done for today; she didn't think she would share it with John or Duncan, they would probably disagree with her decision to keep going.

She peered at Mr. Rhee by the door and leaned back on her hands for support. "Um, if you wouldn't mind. I'd like to stay here for a while longer."

Pan
Mar 23rd, 2008, 04:27:00 PM
"Well..."

Duncan's expression faltered, he was releaved to see the injuries gone from the girl but at her sudden request to be left alone he shot John a fleeting glance. His wavering smile returned.

"...if that's what you'd like, Anja. Professor Rhee and myself will be nearby if you need us."

He retreated a step or two, bade her farewell, and left the room. Outside, he waited for John, who still had his own wounds which needed his attention.

Dragon
Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:32:19 PM
"You can stay as long as you need to," John added. "I'll be waiting outside."

With that, he turned back toward the door and joined Duncan in the hallway. He closed the door as quietly as possible.

"Thank you, Duncan." He leaned against the wall and vented a deep sigh. "I think this may be the most difficult challenge I've ever faced with a student."

Pan
Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:41:40 PM
"Clearly."

He offered John his open hand, and understanding, he clasped it in his own. There was warmth and his wounds started to heal. He was solemn and when he spoke, his tone switched between disappointed to apologetic.

"John, don't you think this is going to far?"

Their eyes met. It was a question he didn't like to ask.

Anja Drake
Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:52:32 PM
When the two male mutants left, Anja fell back onto her side again. Her tension was at a peak and she just didn’t know what to do. Her mind was still a jumble of collapsed puzzle pieces, her eyes began to well with familiar hot tears. She blindly reached out and grabbed a sweatshirt from her bag.
<o></o>
Transformations were dangerous and mortifying for her; it was an understatement to say that Anja feared herself and was often embarrassed.
<o></o>
Still, she laid there and did the only thing she could do. The Italian mutant turned her head into the sweatshirt and screamed with everything she had; tears wetting the soft fabric of warm lump of clothing.

Dragon
Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:57:36 PM
John gingerly touched his face where the Angel had torn it open - aside from some rapidly-fading tenderness, there wasn't a sign he'd ever been injured.

Not at the surface, anyway.

"Perhaps," he said wearily. "If I could think of any other way to approach it, I would take it. But if it's a choice between confronting her darker side in a controlled environment, and leaving her subject to random transformations, endangering other students... I don't think that's a choice at all."

Pan
Mar 23rd, 2008, 07:13:25 PM
"You're right. I just wish this training didn't come at such a price. There you go."

He released John's hand once his injuries were gone.

"John, I want to be informed whenever you and Anja do this in the future. You both might've been lucky this time and I'd rather we didn't take any chances."

Anja Drake
Mar 23rd, 2008, 07:33:53 PM
Why couldn’t she get a hold of herself? Why did this have to happen to her? What could she do? Why…why…just, why?
<o></o>
Anja stopped screaming and sat with her face buried deep in the sweatshirt bundle in her lap. The tears were still streaming as she gasped in shudders of air. Her lips quivered under the pressure behind her sobs.
<o></o>
She sat there for a few minutes. After she was done, Anja lifted her tear stained face from the clothing and wiped her eyes frantically. She composed herself quickly and threw the sweatshirt back into her bag before standing up.
<o></o>
She wavered a moment but caught herself nonetheless. Grabbing her bag by its strap, she approached the door in a daze; she knocked on the hard surface to signal she was done. With one last small sob, Anja opened the door and stepped through.

Dragon
Mar 24th, 2008, 06:16:08 PM
John nodded grimly. "All right. It'll be reassuring to know you're on-call. I only hope it gets easier on Anja. I don't know how many sessions like this she can take."

He heard a knock at the door, and a moment later Anja came through it. Her eyes were red and tear-stained, but she seemed to have regained her stability.

"You did well today, Anja," he told her again. "We can meet in my office tomorrow, just to talk. I'm sure you could use some rest - I know I could."

Pan
Mar 24th, 2008, 07:28:10 PM
Upon seeing Anja appear in her current state, Duncan fought the urge to be overbearing. It pained him to see someone so young and fragile suffer such an ordeal but the transformations had become a part of Anja's life and the last thing he wanted to do was patronise her with unproductive sympathy. He stood next to John and spoke with resolve.

"Anja, I want you to promise me that in the future, after a transformation, you contact me and I will help you with any physical trauma you might've endured. Anytime. I can always catch up on my sleep during lessons."

He gave her a wink.

Anja Drake
Mar 24th, 2008, 09:57:07 PM
A shallow smile began to form at the corner of her lips. It was all and more than she could have ever asked for. All she wanted was to be helped and eventually given a chance to live among the rest of the world with no threat of spontaneous transformation.

"Thank you Professor MacLaverty. That's more then I could ever wish."

She snuggled her bag closer to her body as she faced Mr. Rhee. Even through her senses she could tell that his abilities were strained...his aura was slightly weakened and she felt a sudden PANG of guilt. Still, she nodded to him.

"I will meet with you tomorrow then." Her voice was oddly flat, she felt an overwhelming wave of fatigue hit her legs. "I think I'll go take a nap. Please, excuse me."

She left in a hurry; it was embarassing to face someone after a transformation. It took her a few minutes to weave through the maze of halls before she reached the stairs, she was trying to reach her room before the final concequences of her mutations kicked in...however, it was too late.

With a faltered step, Anja caught herself on the rail of the main grand staircase; her body convulsed as the female mutant began to cough. The fit lasted barely a minute but the racking had caused her cover her mouth with her free hand, as she pulled it away the familiar warmth of blood leaked freely over her hand...

Grabbing her sweatshirt from her bag she wiped the dark red substance of off her hand and clean a small trickle that fell from her mouth with a sleeve while she was at it. Darting her senses around she spotted a garbage can and frantically threw away the sweatshirt before running awkwardly up the stairs; it wouldn't be the last of her coughing fits, she just needed to get to her room before the next one hit....

In her hurry she didn't even notice that her bloodied sweatshirt had only made it half way in the garabe bin; either way, Anja wouldn't have cared, she just needed to get away from everyone for a while.

Dragon
Mar 26th, 2008, 08:44:01 PM
John slept soundly that night and woke up aching. Even Pan's ministrations couldn't make his muscles forget how badly they'd been abused the previous day. He took a stinging cold shower and halfway through turned it to steaming hot. Then he dressed and marched out to face the day's classes.

He didn't see Anja in Mutation Training in the gym that morning. He honestly didn't blame her for skipping.

That afternoon he piled into his office with an armload of student exercise reports and dumped them on his desk just in time to begin his scheduled office hours.

After a moment's thought, he put his electric kettle on and pulled out a few packages of loose-leaf tea. As soon the water was just shy of boiling, he poured himself a cup and measured out a sachet of Korean green. Almost unconsciously, his eyes kept darting to the office door.

Anja Drake
Mar 27th, 2008, 12:18:43 AM
It had been a while since the last time she had mutated fully into the Angel; the fact was, her ‘human’ body was over exhausted and there was no telling how much she had actually slept. In the past, her ‘resting’ period had lasted anywhere from eight hours to close to two weeks; she never did quite figure out why her sleeping periods ranged in time.
<o></o>
Anja awoke slowly. Her head hurt and her stomach was tender, where Mr. Rhee had struck the Angel at yesterday’s training session. Ugh…the training session. Anja laid back, snuggling deeper into her covers; judging by the silence in the hall outside it was later in the afternoon. Her eyes widened as she realized that she had probably missed all of her classes, but a moment later she blew off the sudden scare, what difference did it make?
<o></o>
Her mind felt like it was underwater, drowning itself in a liquid state; it hurt her to concentrate and truthfully, she didn’t want to get out of bed.
<o></o>
Though, after about a half an hour of just laying awake, in a pained state, she decided it would be much more worthwhile to move around. Very slowly, she managed to swing her legs over the side of her bed and just as slow she rummaged through her dresser; finding black cargo pants and a red and baby blue tie-dyed t-shirt.
<o></o>
Anja calculated her steps to the doorway and took a deep breath before stepping out into the hall. She didn’t quite know where she wanted to go; so her wandering began.
<o></o>
It was nearly twenty minutes later when she stopped outside a familiar door. Anja had been in too thick of a daze that she hadn’t even realized her own legs carrying her to one of the last places she wanted to be…right outside Mr. Rhee’s office. Great.
<o></o>
The truth behind it was, her actions yesterday and lack of control made her almost too ashamed or even more so embarrassed to face him again. To make it all worse, she had injured him.
<o></o>
She let the wind rush out of her lungs as she debated whether to knock or not. Wearily, Anja raised her hand and gently rapped her knuckles on the door. There was no harm in letting him know that she was alright.

Dragon
Mar 27th, 2008, 11:26:23 AM
"Come in."

John was just removing the sachet from his tea when his office door opened. He smiled when he saw Anja, though it was impossible not to notice how haggard she looked.

"Ah, Anja, I was hoping you'd stop by today," he said. "How are you feeling? Would you like some tea?"

Anja Drake
Mar 27th, 2008, 05:07:20 PM
She entered, but tried not to look at him; with her eyes and her senses. There was suddenly something a lot more interesting as she picked nervously at the spine of a hard cover book she found on a mini book shelf.

"I, uh, sure." The Italain stated uncomfortably; she wasn't used to interacting with people the next day or so after the Angel had shown her face. Mainly her family tried to stay silent about the matter, even when the police came to investigate after one of her late night rampages...

"I'm sorry I didn't go to class today. I was just so tired." Her voice was hushed, just barely there. She was a pitiful mess.

Dragon
Mar 27th, 2008, 06:24:29 PM
John shook his head as he poured another cup of hot water and filled another sachet. "It's not a problem, Anja. As far as I'm concerned, it was excused."

He set both teacups on a tray with milk and sugar and beckoned Anja to join him at the low table to the side of his desk. He had often considered removing the armchairs and just setting pillows on the floor for seating - that was the way tea should be enjoyed in civilized company - but he wasn't sure how students would take to it.

"Are you always this tired after a transformation?" he asked. "Or was this one different?"

Anja Drake
Mar 27th, 2008, 08:41:48 PM
Anja joined him at the table, taking a seat with her legs curled up underneath her. It was a nice gesture and the unique foreignness of it made Anja feel a bit better. She was always intrigued by unfamiliar cultures and events.
<o:p> </o:p>
She fidgeted with the hem of her cargo pants before answering his question.
“This isn’t the first time I’ve been overly exhausted.” She explained. “After every ‘visit’ from the Angel, I feel as if my body shuts down for a while. There has been times when I sleep for only a few hours and I recall other time in which I slept for nearly 15 days.”
Her slight hands folded awkwardly as she tried not to seem too uncomfortable.
“I never really figured my resting cycle out completely.”

Dragon
Mar 28th, 2008, 09:27:29 AM
John sat cross-legged on the other side of the table from Anja. Fifteen days? So apparently this had been a minor transformation - relatively speaking.

"It's understandable, really, just from how traumatic the transformation process is," he said. "Though I wonder if it's more than that, if your body uses much more energy when it's in that form, or if it has something to do with the conflict between you and Angel..."

He trailed off and carefully removed the sachet from Anja's tea, then set out the milk and sugar.

"Anja, I don't know how aware you were last afternoon... I spoke with the Angel, and she said something about an agreement. That you had broken it, and she was punishing you for it. Do you know what she meant?'

Anja Drake
Mar 28th, 2008, 06:38:40 PM
Taking the tea gratefully, she took a sip of the hot liquid as it was; no sugar and no milk. She heard his question and she did have an answer; however, she didn't want to answer it. This was the most complicated part of her mutation and even when she told her mother about it...there was no doubt in her mind that her mother thought she was insane.

Still, Anja tried to remember all that happened during the transformation. She saw the training room, the blinding pain, the utter chaos that Mr. Rhee had created through his own power...then she saw him, the real him; she remembered what he looked like through the Angel's eyes, but after she saw him there was nothing else to be remembered until the moment she began to fight the Angel for control again.

It was like a being a maniquin from a shopping mall; being tossed and turned about with no control.

"I do." She sighed and stayed quiet for a moment; it was so complicated to put into words. "When I was younger and first started expierencing a phase of my transformations, I was afraid, naturally. I still am. I don't mention it much, but I hear her in my head, talking to me sometimes. "

She paused a took a sip of tea; absorbing its wonderful warmth. She hoped he didn't think she was crazy. "As a child, I didn't know what else to do and after realizing that my family couldn't help me, I confronted the Angel di Morte. We made an agreement...a compromise, I guess you could say."

"I, ah, promised that I would let her use my anger as a source of liberation for her; to let her trade places with me until my fury ran out. But after a few years, I began to get sick, real sick and my body couldn't physically hold up on the constant transformations."

Her story had a lot to it, she hoped he was still following. "I tried to reason with her, but she depended so much on using me in order to thrive. I couldn't handle it any more and I began to resist her. I used to be able to retain my state of mind when we had the agreement but now that I've broken it, I can rarely remember what she does and I have no control over what she does."

Anja began to quiver; she was upset at herself...oh god.

"The first time she killed someone was after I began to resist and officially broke the agreement we had...I broke it about five years ago."

Dragon
Mar 29th, 2008, 10:27:26 AM
John frowned in empathy for Anja's terrifying affliction - and yet, from what she said, and what the Angel said, he couldn't escape the feeling that there were things that neither one was telling him. Venice came to mind.

"Do you have any idea what made the Angel so angry? So malevolent? Even if she was always that way... if she's a part of you, it seems there has to be an explanation."

Anja Drake
Mar 29th, 2008, 03:28:35 PM
Anja breathed deeply.

"I've never been one to express my feelings much; I usually keep to myself. But, there are some things that make me upset, a lot like everyone I would assume, instead of doing anything about it I move on and try not to look back."

To be truthfully honest, she didn't really know why the Angel was so angry; it could be the fact that it was built up emotions.

"I crack sometimes; from keeping my emotions inside and when that happens the Angel usually takes advantage of my unstable state of mind. As for why she is so angry...I suppose she is angry because I hold my anger inside."

Dragon
Mar 30th, 2008, 06:43:29 PM
John mulled this over. Repressed anger was one thing, but it typically took some sort of severe trauma for repressed feelings, memories, or desires to find expression in an alternate personality, particularly one so potent as the Angel. Could the transformations themselves be the catalyst?

He wished he were more qualified to delve into that sort of thing.

"Anja, I want you to think carefully about this question. Do you think the Angel deserves to exist? Not that she deserves to hurt you, or to hurt other people. But do you believe she has any right to share your body?"

Anja Drake
Mar 30th, 2008, 09:48:11 PM
The Italian looked lost for a moment; her life without the Angel? She knew that she could live with out the Angel...but without her what would she do?

"Yes, she does have a right to share my body." She locked her eyes to his, she could feel his eyes connect with hers. He probably wasn't expecting a different answer; what else could she say? The Angel was her, she didn't know how else explain it?

"If I expelled her from me, what will I do? I can't handle my anger or anything without her. I don't remember if I even could before I started expierencing my transformations."

She buried her head in her hand in frustration.

"If I could only understand. Mr. Rhee, there are times that I feel that I need her; I'm sure she feel the same. We are completely different, but we complete what the other doesn't have. I do feel as if she has a place in my life. If I didn't believe that then there wouldn't be any reason for me to still be alive. If she didn't fulfill what I need then why would I have any reason to exist? The same goes for me as it does for her."

Dragon
Mar 31st, 2008, 04:28:42 PM
So both Anja and the Angel had said the same thing. Somehow in their fractured existence there was a sense of completion in one another. It may not have been what was right, but it was what they had found that worked.

"If that's the case," he said, "you are going to have to find a new way of coexisting. Some sort of new agreement. I can't say that I know exactly how that's going to happen. I can think of two approaches we could try, but they both have the potential to be very dangerous.

"We can try to subdue the Angel. Keep her submerged. It's how you'd deal with, say, a destructive alternate personality. We would have to find a way to weaken her hold on you, make it so she can only emerge when you allow it, and even then, so that she only does what you allow her to. I'm sure you can understand the danger here. She won't go quietly into your subconscious, not if she has any means to fight back.

"The second approach may be equally dangerous. And that is to give the Angel more freedom. Find a way to more closely merge your personalities so she can find some expression in your daily life - through your emotions, or through physical exertion. Find a way for her to burn off some of her anger safely. Perhaps that will satisfy her. Perhaps it'll even persuade her to do the same for you - to grant you restraint. To give you some control over your transformations. It may even be a step toward ending this bifurcation and making your personality whole again."

Anja Drake
Mar 31st, 2008, 08:48:04 PM
It took a few minutes but Anja understood what Mr. Rhee was saying. And as it turned out, she agreed with him. The Angel was a being that had to be compromised with; whether it would work or not...Anja didn't know.

However, anything was worth a try. Her mutation was inescapeable and as such, she needed to learn control before she accidentally hurt someone again. The question remained as to how she would come to an agreement with the Angel.

That would be one thing she had to do on her own.

And she knew, there would be a chance that she could succumb to the Angel in the process. Mr. Rhee was absolutely right...this would be very dangerous.

She nodded curtly after her mind was set. "You're right and I can try to confront her later."

"But I need to be somewhere that I have no chance of hurting someone, with the expection of myself."

Dragon
Mar 31st, 2008, 08:57:11 PM
"Are you sure you want to face her alone?" John asked, concerned. "I don't want you to have a chance of hurting yourself, either. And maybe I could help negotiate."

Anja Drake
Mar 31st, 2008, 09:02:21 PM
"I don't know if you can. But I also know that I need all the help that I can get." She said gravely, looking away from the professor. "I just don't want to end up hurting you again, Mr. Rhee."

Dragon
Mar 31st, 2008, 09:11:30 PM
John shook his head. "It wasn't your fault, Anja. It was mine. I took a hit so I could land one. I feel I should apologize to you for that. I only meant to rattle her.

"But... if you would feel more comfortable, I could observe from outside the room, come in only if it's absolutely necessary. Who knows - maybe without a focus for her aggression, the Angel will be forced to deal with you."

Anja Drake
Mar 31st, 2008, 09:17:55 PM
Anja merely waved his early statement away. "There is no need for an apology; it hardly hurts anymore."

She thought about what he was saying. "The Angel is threatened by you. I felt that when I transformed. Now that she has fought you and you fought back, she'll always feel as if you're a threat."

"But with me, the Angel tends to show some weakness. Since we share a body, she knows what hurts me will hurt her and visa versa. Our...encounters are always something else. We share a certain pain when we 'talk'."

Dragon
Mar 31st, 2008, 09:25:42 PM
"Well... in that case, we'll try it that way next time. But there's no need to rush anything. When you feel you're ready, let me know."

Anja Drake
Mar 31st, 2008, 09:28:10 PM
She smiled. "Thank you for understanding. I appreciate your help."

Dragon
Mar 31st, 2008, 09:32:14 PM
John mirrored her smile, even though he knew she couldn't see it. "You're welcome. I'm proud of you, Anja. You're taking some very big steps. You've shown a lot of courage."

He sipped the last of his tea. "Is there anything else you'd like to talk about?"

Anja Drake
Mar 31st, 2008, 09:38:38 PM
"I do." She cocked her head to the side; much like a curious puppy. "But, I'm not sure how to tell you."

"Maybe it's best if I wait until later." Anja bit her bottom lip; in all truth she didn't know if she could tell him. "I don't want to keep from your work."

Dragon
Mar 31st, 2008, 09:54:05 PM
"This is my work," John replied. "If there's anything... anything at all I can help you with..."

She seemed uncomfortable. But she chose to leave the decision with her.

Anja Drake
Mar 31st, 2008, 10:05:15 PM
She nodded. "Some other time, Mr. Rhee. I'm sure you have papers to grade...or tests."

The girl stood up and a bowed her head gratefully. "Thank you again and I promised I will be in class tomorrow."

She turned to leave; she remembered the Angel telling him to ask her about Venice.

Venice...Anja grew sick to her stomach and early tears were building up in her eyes. Mr. Rhee would find out soon enough; but she just wasn't ready to tell him yet.

Dragon
Mar 31st, 2008, 10:27:56 PM
John opened his mouth to speak, but he thought better of it. She'd already shown a great deal more of herself than she was comfortable with. He had to grant her some space.

"All right," he said. "Keep resting. I look forward to seeing you."