PDA

View Full Version : Just Another Day in Paradise

Jack Wednesday
Mar 5th, 2008, 10:16:37 PM
"How are you feeling, Sir?"

"Just another day..."

"You can sit up now... Your body is still regulating but it seems that you've come through with quite a success with the recent serum. And we projected this one to have an immunity rejection rate of 84%..."

Wednesday tuned him out as he rubbed his arm where the red marks were from the IVs and guages. He barely felt it, and not because his body was numb to the pain either. Jack knew he'd look back at it later and wouldn't even be able to see it in a matter of hours. The way the docs had explained it, they were inserting variants of the X-gene in the form of a virus that attached itself to his original DNA and refitted it. In other words, mutagen was a virus to the average human as far as they were applying it to them. And Jack had seen the adverse side effects too.

Good men, even now, were in their solitary cells, isolated from the world and isolated from the rest of mankind on so many violated levels. Jack cared about his men enough to pity the lost souls but he understood that with change and revolution, there would be sacrifice. It was a tragedy that men, the most valuable asset to his utilitarian mindset, were what had to be sacrificed. The X-gene and the serums, what they called mutagen, had quite varying effects depending on the serum and when there was a rejection, whether it was systemic or immune, the results were rarely ever pretty, at least the short term ones. The dormant rejections, happening well after the procedure, tended to occur in high stress situations. A man would just go down in the middle of an intense training mission, coughing up blood. One guy had fallen over, smoke, like smoke from a fire, coming from his ears, mouth, and nose. His eyes had suddenly accomplished something similar to converting light to energy but the beam of energy had been refracted back into his own skull and fried his brain.

At times, Jack was worried that his body might turn on him like theirs' had. But the doctors seemed confident that his body would adapt to even the most doomed mutagens without fail. That still left him with little comfort but really, given the benefits, Wednesday was not complaining. His reflexes were so fast sometimes it seemed like time slowed down. His eyesight had never been better, and he felt like he could run miles without breaking a sweat. He wasn't sure if it had made him smarter, Jack didn't like to think that was possible out of pride. But in spite of that, things just seemed to click, and he could remember long series of numbers days, even weeks later.

"I need a cigarette."

He said it abruptly and abruptly interrupted the babbling doctor who stuttered and shook his head as Jack stood from the operating table.

"Sir, may I recommend..."

"No, you may not."

"B-b-b-but you've just... And you need to keep your system pure..."

"Doctor, relax. I could die tomorrow, get hit by a car, or even one of these scary mutants could come crawling out of the sewers and make all of our minds implode with a fart for all I care. I want a cigarette."

"Uh... Yes, Sir."

=======

Jack didn't even shiver as the wind gusted about him. He huddled over the lighter, craning his neck downwards so the cigarette could dip into the tip of the flame. He slipped the bic lighter into his pocket with one hand and took a long draw from his cigarette.

"Pff... pogues..."

Wednesday, shirtless and in his levi jeans, loafers and no socks, jammed his hands in his pockets as he stared up at the starless sky. It was only starless because of man, man and his infernal machines. Whether man or mutant, they always seemed to take away from the greatness of something. He supposed he should have been more sensitive to the cold but it really didn't bother him. Jack wondered if it was a mind over matter thing. Had his mind transcended over that simple bother? Or did he really just want that cigarette bad enough that he'd let such a small thing dwindle in comparison? Oh the complex things in life.

General Gideon Vasher
Mar 6th, 2008, 09:36:05 AM
The crunch of boots on gravel interrupted Wednesday's solitude. No sooner had he turned than the newcomer said, "At ease, Jack."

Colonel Vasher joined Captain Wednesday on the hillside that housed most of the Vanguard complex. There were a few utility buildings above ground, but the vast majority of the base was in tunnels and chambers honeycombing the Montana shale beneath their feet.

"I just received the report on Dr. Zajeda's latest cocktail. How do you feel?"

Jack Wednesday
Mar 6th, 2008, 10:59:17 AM
Jack made a grimace as he pulled the cigarette from his lips. He rubbed the stubble on his chin, making a noise like rubbing against sand paper. Jack felt like he'd never made any of those HALO jumps before, like he'd never been shot, or jumped out of a helicopter. To be honest, Wednesday felt better and better every day, better than he ever had, even in his younger days, when a soldier of his specialties was considered old and broken by the age of thirty. Jack felt like he didn't have a shelf life anymore, and to be even more honest, that scared him more than his body turning on itself and rejecting an important organ, like his heart.

"I feel fine, Sir. Just another day in paradise."

Captain Wednesday took long lasting pull from the cigarette before letting it slip from his fingers to the ground and smearing it into the gravel. With a sigh, the smoke blew out his nose before he turned his body towards the Colonel.

"Sir, an 84% immunity rejection rate is too close to the edge for our men. Even if I can take it, I can't have good, well trained men suffering from even long term rejection and falling out of the fight just because these scientists want to push the edge of their research. They need to take more precautions."

Jack wouldn't deny that the successes and accomplishments weren't worth the risks but he had to voice concern for his men. Their lives were ultimately his responsibility and they entrusted him and put their faith in his duty to protect them. Jack wouldn't say anymore about it though, because to him they, as in Vangaurd, were dealing with a serious security threat, that as Wednesday had heard the Colonel speak of before, could very well lead to the extinction of mankind. Sometimes sacrifices absolutely had to be made and when mankind started playing with new toys, it was a typical consequence that a lot of people die. Jack would've rather preffered that it wasn't some of the best soldiers this nation would ever know though.

General Gideon Vasher
Mar 6th, 2008, 12:04:09 PM
The Colonel's breath steamed out of his nose as he surveyed the swaying pine forests illuminated by the base's floods. "The thing about assembling some of the finest minds in applied genetics, you realize how small the sum of human knowledge is. They're children playing with God's toys. I think they get over-anxious when they have a test subject who can toss down mutagen like martinis."

He turned to face his captain, squinting behind his glasses. "Zajeda thinks they've hit the motherlode. She's got a serum that's hitting success rates over seventy percent in animal trials with rejection under five. Incorporates pieces of Gamma, Epsilon, Theta, and Tau strains. They're projecting an even greater success in human trials. They've given us the green light to proceed to the next phase."

He handed Wednesday a file with the heading PROJECT CERBERUS. Underneath a paragraph of technical proposal was a list of names and ranks and units.

"Zajeda's office selected these thirty soldiers based on prior tests and medical histories. They seem to think these men and women will have the highest chance of success with the new batch. I'd like you to select eleven names, plus four alternates, for your first squad. With luck, you'll be in training maneuvers inside a week."

Jack Wednesday
Mar 6th, 2008, 06:37:16 PM
The file slid between Jack's fingers and he gently opened it, scanned it for a moment or two, and then closed it. Project Cerberus? Cerberus was the three headed dog that guarded the Gates to Hades. Three headed dog, mutation. Interesting correlation.

Wednesday looked to the Colonel for a moment as he mentally tried to predict the direction of this whole thing. It was obvious, putting the puzzle pieces together but Jack wondered if they weren't just repeating the same mistakes, meaning to achieve the same erroneous ends, just by different, not even necessarily better, means, and with the same erroneous attitudes. But Jack knew a thing about the Colonel. The man had seen this nation teetering on the edge of chaos, in one institution or another, of course never all at the same time. The worst times had always been when the general public thought everything in the world was at peace. There were some other things that added to Jack's understanding of the Colonel's qualifications but it wasn't something to dwell on. Needless to say, Colonel Vasher was just the man to be in charge of this project in order to insure that mankind stalled from repeating its own mistakes.

"I'll have the list sitting on your desk in the morning, Sir. If you'll excuse me though, Sir, I've got to go fall asleep so Zajeda can watch and see if I die in my sleep."

General Gideon Vasher
Mar 6th, 2008, 08:40:48 PM
"If you do, she'll only blame it on lung cancer and hypothermia," the Colonel replied. "You shouldn't give her so many alibis."

He turned and walked with Jack to the nearest tunnel entrance. A pair of army guards saluted them as they passed through.

"I have a feeling you're going to see some action soon, Jack," Vasher said. "Agent Zero got a whiff of the mutant insurgents in London but wasn't able to bring any in. Now that they've exposed themselves, they and others like them are only going to grow bolder."

Jack Wednesday
Mar 6th, 2008, 09:51:11 PM
"So London smells then? How is the UK responding to that?"

The idea that the UK might have a sister agency to Vangaurd was not entirely comforting, or even considering the possibility. Each nation with their own mutated army was a recipe for disaster. But then that was the whole point of Vangaurd. The United States had to, absolutely had to advance itself so that it could keep up to the enormous power gap that these mutants had created.

Jack didn't feel compelled to give the Colonel any assurances. The Colonel wouldn't have picked Jack to be the commander if he hadn't the necessary amount of faith in him. And Wednesday had worked under the Colonel before, a few times, and Vasher knew the extents to which Wednesday would go to accomplish the mission.

General Gideon Vasher
Mar 6th, 2008, 10:18:17 PM
"Standard anti-terrorist procedures," Vasher replied with no modicum of distaste. "They came up with air."

They stepped into an elevator-sized chamber with a pressure door on either side. There was a hum and a wash of static energy, and then a green light went on to admit them into the clean sector of the facility.

"Our intel indicates MI-5 got some help from some unsolicited outside consultants," Vasher said. "Mutants. We're not sure yet where they came from, but we're positive they're not in the British government's employ. Could be another faction. Could be another arm of the Brotherhood trying to get in through the back door. We're still looking."

They passed by one of the labs where two men were lying in bed attached to every sort of medical monitor imaginable. One of them lay immobilized, hooked up by tubes to a machine that was constantly recycling his blood, which his mutagen kept turning to poison in his veins. The other was twitching and writhing in psychotic torment, fighting phantoms in a nightmare that wouldn't end.

"The problem with being born into power," Vasher said, "you don't stop to consider what it costs. These mutants who think that a genetic advantage gives them the right to play at being gods... It's up to us to bring them back to terra firma."

Jack Wednesday
Mar 6th, 2008, 11:00:13 PM
"Back to Hell is more like it."

Wednesday's arm suddenly itched but he quickly determined it was merely a mental bother at the sight of the two men who would never know a moment's peace again but for the last sigh of death. The feeling was quickly dismissed and they continued to pass by the labs, and with each transparent window was another victim to progress. They reached another static cleaning divider and then stepped into the residential wing.

"The real problem is power in general, Colonel. And the concept of the man-god, mutant-god, whatever you want to call it. Man or mutant, no one deserves a free ride for anything."

They reached a fork in the hallway, one direction led to the administrative sections, where the Colonel was most likely headed and the other way led to the officer's suites where Jack's humble abode was.

"I'll have that list on your desk in the morning, Sir. Take it easy."

General Gideon Vasher
Mar 6th, 2008, 11:24:38 PM
"You, too, Jack," the Colonel replied. "One thing this mutagenic marathon hasn't changed - you're still a damn fine officer. I'm proud to have you aboard."

Vasher saluted and turned down the far corridor, his long jacket sweeping behind him as he walked.