PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2008 Postseason and Draft Speculation thread

Yog
Mar 3rd, 2008, 05:57:31 PM
Some interesting stuff happened lately:

- Randy Moss signing on for a 3 year contract with the Patriots for $27M. Browns signed wide receiver Donte Stallworth.

- Falcon release running back Warrick Dunn.

- The Buccaneers traded an undisclosed 2009 draft pick to the Chicago Bears on Monday for Quarter Back Brian Griese.

- Jets sent defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson to the Cincinnati Bengals for a pair of draft picks.

- TE Alge Crumpler signing a two-year contract with the Titans.

- Ben Roethlisberger signs 8-year extension with Steelers.

- Panthers signed WR Muhammad, released QB Carr.

Lots of releases, trades and contracts being signed right now. Should give some indication what the teams plan to do the upcoming season.

Figrin D'an
Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:44:38 PM
I think everyone is curious what the Dolphins are going to do with the #1 overall pick. If Parcells is able, he'll probably trade it, but since there really doesn't seem to a be a true consensus #1 player, they may not be able to get good value for it.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:40:42 PM
Well there have been rumors that Jerry Jones is in love with McFadden, not sure if he would give the Dolphins what they want for the #1 pick though, although I bet if he is still on the board when Atlanta to Kansas City pick he might start talking trade. I think Dorsey goes #1 and probably the DE Long #2. The Falcons will probably draft Ryan since they seem to be in love with him. I think the Raiders will draft McFadden because they have no offense and the Chiefs will get Long out of Michigan because they are desperate for some offensive line help. About the recent moves I think the Crumpler one will really help Vince Young. He has nobody to throw the ball there and he will give him a nice target.

Zero
Mar 4th, 2008, 10:02:46 AM
Another big postseason move. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=A66DE1F74641EFD91F3969E232FF8D20? id=09000d5d8070597b&template=with-video&confirm=true)

Yog
Mar 4th, 2008, 10:11:11 AM
Wow, Favre retiring. That is a big one. What an awesome career he had. One of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.

Yog
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:12:42 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3276034

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that according to Favre's agent, Bus Cook, Favre informed Packers coach Mike McCarthy of his decision Monday night.

Mortensen said in a phone message Favre left for him Tuesday morning, the longtime Packers starter said he felt worn down by the demands of the game, adding that he and his wife Deanna thought anything short of a Super Bowl title would be a disappointment and not worth the mental wear and tear.

A sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Famer, Favre, acquired in a trade with the Atlanta Falcons, led the Packers back to the NFL's elite. He retires with 5,377 carrer completions in 8,758 attempts for 61,655 yards, 442 touchdowns and 288 interceptions, passing Dan Marino's touchdown mark last season.

As a player Favre was known for his durability, his willingness to take risks and turn broken plays into big gains, as well as for the way his love for the game was evident in the way he played. He went to a pair of Super Bowls in 1996 and 1997, winning it all on his first try in Super Bowl XXXI, and was named to nine Pro Bowls. Cook said as of Tuesday morning, there were no plans for Favre to hold a news conference.

Favre, who returned for the 2007 season when many thought he should have left the game, had a career renaissance in his final season and led the Packers to the NFC Championship Game, where they lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants in overtime.

Favre passed Marino for the all-time completions record in 2006, and in 2007 set NFL records for wins by a QB, touchdown passes, pass attempts, pass yards and interceptions in 2007. He claimed the NFL record for career quarterback wins with his 149th victory in Week 2, passed Marino for the TD record in Week 4 and overtook Marino's career passing yards record in Week 15.

Mortensen reported that Favre, who wanted the Packers to obtain Randy Moss when he was a free agent last season, had once again pushed for Moss to join the Packers. Favre had spoken to Moss late last week and was willing to commit to more than just this season if Moss and the Packers could come to an agreement. But the Packers did not pursue Moss, who re-signed with the Patriots on Monday.

In his voice mail message to Mortensen, Favre said the Packers' lack of pursuit of Moss was not the driving reason why he retired.

Surrounded by an underrated group of wide receivers who proved hard to tackle after the catch, Favre had a career-high completion percentage of 66.5 in 2007. He threw for 4,155 yards, 28 touchdowns and only 15 interceptions.

It was a remarkable turnaround from 2005, Favre's final season under former head coach Mike Sherman, when he threw a career-worst 29 interceptions as the Packers went 4-12.

Given Favre's career resurgence, it was widely assumed that he was leaning toward returning for the 2008 season.

He even said as much just before the Packers' Jan. 12 divisional playoff game against Seattle, telling his hometown newspaper that he wasn't approaching the game as if it would be his last and was more optimistic than in years past about returning.

"For the first time in three years, I haven't thought this could be my last game," Favre told the Biloxi [Miss.] Sun Herald. "I would like to continue longer."

In memory of a legend :(

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2782/favre1sv8.jpg

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/8233/favre2yy0.jpg

Yog
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:43:12 AM
Tribute page for Favre
http://packers.com/history/brett_favre_tribute/

Sports Illustrated, Favre's Greatest Moments:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0709/brett.favre.moments.pictures/content.1.html

Figrin D'an
Mar 4th, 2008, 01:00:46 PM
I suppose as the resident Packer fan, I should chime in.

This is one of those bitter sweet moments that any fan experiences. We all knew that this would be coming soon, probably within the next 1-2 seasons. That doesn't necessarily make it any easier to acknowledge that, come opening week in 2008, there will be a different QB under center for the Packer. He will be missed, if for no other reason than the passion and enthusiasm he brought to the game every week.

All that said... I believe this was the right decision, both for Favre and the Packers.

He has nothing left to prove. He can still play at an elite level, which he proved this past season. He's won 3 league MVP awards. He's been voted to 9 Pro Bowls. He's a career leader in every significant passing category. He has more wins than any QB in NFL history. His consecutive game streak for a QB may never be matched. And, lastly, he won a Super Bowl.

The Packers are also ready to move on. They have a solid core of young players to build on, who now have tasted some success and have some important playoff experience. The best days of this young team are ahead of them, and while losing a player like Favre will have a major impact on the team's immediate future, Green Bay needs to develop a QB who will be in his prime when this team peaks in another few years who will realistically give them opportunities to win a championship.

Favre's legacy will be a mixed one. He has records and MVPs, and a ring. But, he also threw a lot of INTs, made some poor decisions at times, and probably cost the Packers some games in the same manner that he was able to win some games for them. On the list of all-time greatest QBs, he is definitely near the top, but not the greatest (yes, Packers fans can objectively admit this). However, for those of us who have been Packer's fans for years, Favre will always be "the best of all time" because of what he has meant to the franchise that we root for and feel so attached to.

Thank you for the memories, Brett.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2008, 05:47:27 PM
I was a little surprised though I thought he play one more season at the most. At least they have Rodgers ready to go.

Rutabaga
Mar 5th, 2008, 07:54:39 AM
I will continue to root for the Packers, but geez, it's going to be so strange not seeing the legendary Number 4 leading the charge downfield.

:cry

Thanks for everything, Brett! And we'll see you in Canton, Ohio in 2013! :dance

jjwr
Mar 5th, 2008, 08:07:40 AM
Great player, incredible career but I for one won't miss all the off-season drama and in season fawning directed at Favre.

No way will the Phins be able to trade the #1 pick, that spot generates way too much guaranteed money and there isn't a single clear cut player who is worth it.

Yog
Mar 5th, 2008, 08:13:55 AM
^^ What do you think of that Randy Moss deal? The Patriots should be tough to beat with the Brady / Moss combo for the next 3 years. What will they be focusing on in the draft? Defense? Offensive line?

jjwr
Mar 5th, 2008, 12:22:27 PM
Who knows...Randy was great last year until the playoffs but I honestly believe a lot of that was the scheme. Their play calling got stranger and stranger in the playoffs to the point that its one of the big factors they lost the SB.

The offense will be flying but he D scares me, the LB's are still older than dirt and they need a #1 CB to replace Sammuel as well as a decent cover safety. The #1 rookie from last year Merriweather might help in CB/S but won't really know until the ball gets rolling this year.

I'm hoping they can find a trading parter in the draft and move down to Mid 1st round and get another 2nd rouner and add a few young LB's/CB's between Round 1 and Round 3(they have the Raiders #6 overall in Rd 3).

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 5th, 2008, 11:00:46 PM
Great player, incredible career but I for one won't miss all the off-season drama and in season fawning directed at Favre.

No way will the Phins be able to trade the #1 pick, that spot generates way too much guaranteed money and there isn't a single clear cut player who is worth it.

Well you could argue MCFadden and the Cowboys, but I think the Cowboys might try to hope he slides and then trade up for 3-5 pick.

jjwr
Mar 7th, 2008, 03:25:50 PM
Barring a trade none of the early teams are going to take McFadden. Dolphins have Ronnie Brown, Rams have their stud back, Chiefs have Larry Johnson, Falcons just signed Michael Turner. Jets at #6 though....I could see them taking him, if they don't take him then the Pats have a ton of potential with their pick.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2008, 06:03:09 PM
Barring a trade none of the early teams are going to take McFadden. Dolphins have Ronnie Brown, Rams have their stud back, Chiefs have Larry Johnson, Falcons just signed Michael Turner. Jets at #6 though....I could see them taking him, if they don't take him then the Pats have a ton of potential with their pick.
The Raiders would take him at #4, they have no RB and no offense really.

jjwr
Mar 10th, 2008, 06:50:47 AM

They just gave Jamarcus Russel a massive deal last year with a huge chunk of guaranteed money and picked up a few FA's for way too much and gave them huge chunks of guaranteed money. I just don't see them paying another 25M+ Guaranteed that it would take if they drafted him that high.

Yog
Mar 10th, 2008, 08:09:56 AM
What on earth is going on in Seattle:

Shaun Alexander: Future Cloudy in Seattle

Update: Alexander’s future with the Seahawks got a lot murkier this week after the team signed running backs Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett.

Recommendation: The Seahawks can afford to keep Alexander and Maurice Morris in addition to their new running backs. Whether they’ll want to is another matter. The Seahawks could go in a number directions. Best-case scenario for Alexander is Morris is released, Duckett plays fullback and Alexander outplays Jones in training camp. Worst-case scenario, the Seahawks dump him after June 1 to save about $4 million in cap room this year.

Matt Walsh is expected to turn over information to the NFL regarding "Spygate", so the whole thing finally can come to a close:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nfl-walsh&prov=ap&type=lgns

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 10th, 2008, 06:22:57 PM

They just gave Jamarcus Russel a massive deal last year with a huge chunk of guaranteed money and picked up a few FA's for way too much and gave them huge chunks of guaranteed money. I just don't see them paying another 25M+ Guaranteed that it would take if they drafted him that high.

Well most of the mock draft have him going there, now maybe the Raiders trade the pick to someone like Dallas.
The Alexander news is surprising, maybe they aren't sure if he can stay healthy. I think they dump Morris because he isn't that great anyway.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:31:51 PM
Blockbuster trade today
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3362701
I am actually glad it happened. Allen wanted too much especially since he has a high risk. One more DUI and he is suspended for one year. Even though he is the best pass rusher on the team they are better off getting something for him now and start rebuilding the franchise. They have 13 picks now and they need them to fill all the holes on that team. I think they will take a DL with the 5 pick and probably a OT with the 17th, but I wouldn't be shocked if they take Ryan with that 5th pick. I am not really sure if Croyle is any good. As for the Vikings this trade is good for them, as long as Allen stays away from the partying (good thing he wasn't around during the Boat trip :p). Two other moves the past two days. Miami signed Jake Long as the #1 pick. That shocked me but it is probably because he will save the dolphins money. And finally Shawn Alexander was released yesterday. I wasn't completely shocked by that move since they had signed two RBs recently. I wonder who will pick him up.

Yog
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:46:35 PM
2 days until the draft.

1st Round Draft Order

1. Miami (OT - Jake Long)
2. St. Louis
3. Atlanta
4. Oakland
5. Kansas City
6. New York Jets
7. New England (from San Francisco)
8. Baltimore
9. Cincinnati
10. New Orleans
11. Buffalo
12. Denver
13. Carolina
14. Chicago
15. Detroit
16. Arizona
17. Kansas City (from Minnesota)
18. Houston
19. Philadelphia
20. Tampa Bay
21. Washington
22. Dallas (from Cleveland)
23. Pittsburgh
24. Tennessee
25. Seattle
26. Jacksonville
27. San Diego
28. Dallas
29. San Francisco (from Indianapolis)
30. Green Bay
x New England (pick forfeited)
31 New York Giants

NFL Draft Order (http://www.gbnreport.com/3-rounddraftorder.htm)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:58:18 PM
Need to change that 17th pick :p

Yog
Apr 24th, 2008, 07:28:03 AM
^^ fixed it. 1 day to go! The Chiefs are looking in good position in the draft with their 2 first round picks.

For nostalgia and entertainment value, here are some draft blunders by the Jets.. :lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

Morgan Evanar
Apr 24th, 2008, 08:38:26 AM
Good move by the Dolphins, we very much need help on the o-line.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 24th, 2008, 04:51:03 PM
^^ fixed it. 1 day to go! The Chiefs are looking in good position in the draft with their 2 first round picks.

For nostalgia and entertainment value, here are some draft blunders by the Jets.. :lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

Hopefully they will make some good selections. I was thinking Viking Fans better not hope History repeats itself. They gave up 4 picks for Herschel Walker back in the late 80's to Dallas, in a hope to win a SB. They are doing something similar here. Maybe the Chiefs can do the same as the Cowboys with those picks.

Yog
Apr 26th, 2008, 04:42:42 AM
.. and on the Madden cover this year is.... Brett Favre!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/game_room/2008/04/madden-cover-revealed.html

Maybe this is a new trend, putting retired players on the cover to end the Madden curse.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2008, 09:13:42 AM
.. and on the Madden cover this year is.... Brett Favre!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/game_room/2008/04/madden-cover-revealed.html

Maybe this is a new trend, putting retired players on the cover to end the Madden curse.

I don't think a curse exists. Vince Young had a good season this past year and led his team to the playoffs.

It sounds like the Rams will draft Chris Long second. After that the Falcons will have to chose between Ryan and Dorsey. I am not sure what my Chiefs will take with their first pick.

Yog
Apr 26th, 2008, 12:01:04 PM
The rumour now is, 1. Dolphins: Jake Long, 2. Rams: Chris Long, 3. Falcons: Matt Ryan 4. Raiders: McFadden. I am guessing KC picks Gholston. Hard to say about Jets and Pats.

Edit: Another possibility, KC picks Dorsey. They can then either keep him or trade with the Saints who want him bad.

Yog
Apr 26th, 2008, 01:56:08 PM
Draft broadcasted LIVE here:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/live

Picks so far:
1. Miami - OT Jake Long, Michigan
2. St. Louis - DE Chris Long, Virginia
3. Atlanta - QB Matt Ryan, Boston College
4. Oakland - RB Darren McFadden, Arkanas
5. Kansas City - DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU
6. New York Jets - LB Vernon Gholston, Ohio State
7. New Orleans - DT Sedric Ellis (Patriots traded down)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2008, 02:04:32 PM
I like what the Chiefs did. Dorsey was the best player on the board, he could even be best player in the draft. Hopefully they get an OL help with that second first round pick.

Yog
Apr 26th, 2008, 02:08:37 PM
Yeah, I think it was a good move for the Chiefs. Also, what the Pats were doing was clever. They get their guy at #10 anyway, for another third round pick. I hate to admit it, but Belichick knows to play the draft better than anyone.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2008, 02:13:28 PM
Yeah, I think it was a good move for the Chiefs. Also, what the Pats were doing was clever. They get their guy at #10 anyway, for another third round pick. I hate to admit it, but Belichick knows to play the draft better than anyone.

He reminds me of Bill Walsh in that regard. Walsh knew how to play the draft.

Yog
Apr 26th, 2008, 02:19:37 PM
^^
Patriots got 3 third rounders now if I am not mistaken.

It is moving fast now with the new timing controls. I like it.

7. New Orleans (from San Francisco via New England) - DT Sedrick Ellis, USC
8. Jacksonville (from Baltimore) - DE Derrick Harvey, Florida
9. Cincinnati - LB Keith Rivers, USC
10. New England (from New Orleans) - LB Jerod Mayo, Tennessee

Yog
Apr 26th, 2008, 02:45:01 PM
The biggest surprise of the draft so far, is the lack of surprises. Except for Stewart for Carolina.

Master draft by the Chiefs so far. Two potential steals already.

Yog
Apr 26th, 2008, 03:07:48 PM
7. New Orleans (from San Francisco via New England) - DT Sedrick Ellis, USC
8. Jacksonville (from Baltimore) - DE Derrick Harvey, Florida
9. Cincinnati - LB Keith Rivers, USC
10. New England (from New Orleans) - LB Jerod Mayo, Tennessee
11. Buffalo - CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy
12. Denver - OT Ryan Clady, Boise State
13. Carolina - RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon
14. Chicago - OT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt
15. Kansas City (from Detroit) - OG Branden Albert, Virginia
16. Arizona - CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State
17. Detroit (from Minnesota via Kansas City) - OT Gosder Cherilus, Boston College
18. Baltimore (from Houston) - QB Joe Flacco, Delaware

Yog
Apr 26th, 2008, 03:25:03 PM
I question Panthers sanity today for their first pick, then trading to Eagles for next years first round pick, 2nd and 4th round. :whaa

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2008, 07:00:39 PM
Chiefs had a very good draft, 3 good picks all could start next season.

Yog
Apr 27th, 2008, 07:46:53 AM
I have to say Chiefs were probably draft winners of the 1st day. Monster draft. I also really liked the Dolphins and Eagles draft. And Pats made some smart moves too.

jjwr
Apr 28th, 2008, 08:21:12 AM
If nothing else the Pats stay busy during the draft, almost pointless to try and watch the draft as a Pats fan becuase theres at least a 50% chance they'll trade out of their slotted pick.

Ended up trading one of their 3rds for a 2nd rounder next year. So in theory they traded a single 1st rounder in the 2007 draft for Jerod Mayo, a 2nd round pick in '09 and a WR named Randy Moss. Not bad

Figrin D'an
Jul 11th, 2008, 02:34:49 PM
Thread necromancy at it's finest, but I didn't feel like starting a new thread.

Being the middle of the summer, and training camp hasn't started yet, the media is a buzz with the Brett Favre un-retirement saga. The latest news came today that Favre has asked the Packers for his unconditional release (he is currently on the reserve/retired list, but he is still under contract with the Packers through 2010). The Packers have not responded yet, much as they haven't officially responded to anything associated with this story throughout the past couple of weeks.

I very much doubt that Packers GM Ted Thompson will grant Favre an unconditional release. He'll try to talk Brett into a trade, so at least the Packers could get something in exchange for him and they can then control what his destination team will be (there's no way they'll let him go to either Chicago or Minnesota).

This whole situation is pretty ridiculous, and as great a player as Favre has been for the Packers, a lot of fans (including me) are firmly on the side of the Packers management on this one. It's time to move on, and if Favre is insistent on pushing the issue and coming out of retirement to play, he'll have to do it somewhere other than Green Bay.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 11th, 2008, 06:25:03 PM
This turn of events is shocking. I guess he will follow other big name QBs like Unitis, Namath, and Montana in finishing their careers elsewhere. But this is worse than those cases. Montana left under amicable circumstances, not sure if that will happen here.

Ryan Pode
Jul 11th, 2008, 06:55:07 PM
Yeah. It'll be pretty bad because unlike Unitas and some of those other old timers, Favre can still play at a high level. I'm not sure if I want him on the Ravens though.

Figrin D'an
Jul 11th, 2008, 06:55:17 PM
The speculation now is that the Packers won't release Favre, but will in essence call his bluff, put him back on the active roster, then try to orchestrate a trade. The popular theoretical destinations at this point are Washington, Baltimore or Tampa Bay.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 11th, 2008, 10:46:40 PM
Yeah. It'll be pretty bad because unlike Unitas and some of those other old timers, Favre can still play at a high level. I'm not sure if I want him on the Ravens though.

Well it could be like Montana who had several good years left in him when he was with KC. Tampa Bay sounds like the best place considering they are still a contender.

Yog
Jul 12th, 2008, 01:09:50 AM
I am not sure what Favre is thinking. I thought he would end his career in Packers. There are a lot of teams out there that really need a QB though, so whoever ends up with him is up for a steal.

I'm not sure if I want him on the Ravens though.
You would rather have Kyle Boller than Brett Favre at the helm? Come on!

Rutabaga
Jul 12th, 2008, 08:30:45 AM
This news actually does not make me happy. I'm getting really tired of the "oh I'm retiring, oh I'm bored, oh I've changed my mind" routine. :(

JMK
Jul 13th, 2008, 09:48:31 AM
I'm 100% with the Packers on this one. As much as he has meant to countless Packers fans, and football fans as a group, he has behaved as though he is bigger than the team for years now. Every year was a long, drawn out trip down memory lane for no apparent reason. He just kept coming back again and again. Now he finally gives the Packers closure and lets them move on with their franchise and he pulls this stunt? I agree that players should be allowed to make up their minds and have every right to change it. This case is an exception. It was year after year of drama and speculation and I'm sure just about EVERYONE was sick of it. He clearly spent a long, long time thinking about retiring. If you're going to spend that long thinking about something, when you do finally decide on something, make sure you take the right decision. There's nothing worse than jerking people around all this time, coming to a decision that he was seemingly comfortable with and then doing a 180°.

Figrin D'an
Jul 13th, 2008, 05:32:38 PM
My guess was correct... the Packers have told Favre flat out that he will not be released, and that if he wants to come out of retirement, he'll be put on the active roster but is not guaranteed the starting job. They are essentially calling his bluff, and are betting that he will have a change of heart yet again and decide to remain retired. If he does come back, they'll make him Rodger's backup and probably try to trade him.

Favre is quickly losing the support of fans on this matter, especially once it came out that he tried this back in March as well. (If you haven't read about it, apparently after Favre had been retired for less than a month, he contacted Ted Thompson and said that he made a mistake, that he wanted to play again. The Packers went about making arrangements to bring him back... moving him to the active roster, appeasing Aaron Rodgers, etc), and two days before the announcement was going to be made that Favre was coming back, he waffled and decided to remain retired.) It's pretty clear that the Packers have had enough, and are finally telling Favre, "No, you can't have it your way anymore."

About freaking time.

JMK
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:50:19 PM
Yes, it is time they put their foot down with this guy. Who does he think he is? For a guy who was touted as the humblest, hardest working, modest every man, he sure does have a huge sense of entitlement.

Now the crazed cheeseheads that are picketing for Favre's return need to go back to their armchairs and shut the hell up. He ought to be ashamed of himself for dragging his own name through the mud like this.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 14th, 2008, 11:55:58 PM
This is going worse than what happened with Montana in San Francisco. At least there the feeling was amicable and he was traded to the best possible place for him. The Packers won't release him and Favre doesn't seem to want a trade. This could be messy.

jjwr
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:58:40 AM
Makes you wonder how Rodgers feels about all this. The Packers team is very young so its not like they have spent years and years with Favre. If he forced his way back on he may not even have the support of the team.

Take him back and trade him, if you can't trade him then put him on the bench behind Rodgers and make him sit and watch and teach Brohm how the game is played.

JMK
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:21:09 PM
If he continues making himself out to be bigger than the team then the rest of the Packers will certainly sniff that out, if it doesn't get implanted into them by management first.

The Packers will certainly be able to trade him, but they won't get much for him. Maybe a 3rd rounder? I think they're afraid of the backlash that they'd face if Favre came back and had a better season with another team than the Packers have. That's got to be the reason why they won't release him and chance losing him to the Vikings or Bears.

They also can't bring him back and have him be the backup. The minute Rodgers has a couple of bad series the fans will get all over McCarthy to put Favre back in. In fact, I'm sure it wouldn't even have to come to that. If he was activated at all the fans (and media) would cause enough of a distraction that McCarthy would have no other choice but to go with Favre. What a stupid situation. I just get angrier at Favre every time I think about this. He's had enough years to get this decision right. He shouldn't require until the draft or until training camp to make a call.

jjwr
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:56:09 PM
I don't think they care what they would get for him in trade, the team trading wouldn't give up much knowing its most likely a one year rental anyways. They want to trade him so they can decide where he goes. Thats just smart planning on their part, they have two teams in their division who would be really good with Favre on them so they don't want to have to compete with that.

Get him to accept a trade and dump him off to the AFC that way they won't see him at all.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 7th, 2008, 10:43:38 AM
So Favre went to the Jets. The Packers really fixed sending him to that crappy team. I think he will have an awful year and will be booed by season's end in the Meadowlands. I think he will have the same end that Johnny Unitus and Joe Namath had.

Rutabaga
Aug 7th, 2008, 05:48:42 PM
I loved the Brett Favre that retired this spring. I don't love the Brett Favre we're seeing now...I really feel he's tarnished his legacy and has come off as being a brat. It disappoints me tremendously. :(

How much do you want to bet he'll get injured?

Figrin D'an
Aug 7th, 2008, 06:09:23 PM
Like most Packer fans, I'm glad this is finally over. Time to focus on this year's team, which has a great chance to win the NFC North again this year, even with an inexperienced QB. Packer fans will always be grateful for the 16 seasons that Favre gave to the team and the fans, and despite all of the hurt feelings and melodrama for all involved, he'll still always be a Green Bay Packer. But, most reasonable fans will agree that the team's goals and future were not compliant with Favre's desires, and that this trade, while sad in a lot of ways, was the best way to resolve the situation.

The Jets should have a decent shot at making the playoffs as a wild-card, given the off-season moves they have made, provided that Favre is willing to play within Mangini's system. That will likely determine whether or not the Jets fanbase accepts him or not. Packer fans were largely very forgiving of Brett's mistakes on the field, but Jets fans won't be (and yes, he will throw some bad interceptions). We'll see how he handles it.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 8th, 2008, 11:15:42 AM
In the past we had 3 future HOF QBs finish their careers elsewhere. Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, and Joe Montana. Of the three only Montana had a good finish to his career. Namath and Unitas played horrible and only played one year. Montana finished 1st in QB rating in 94 and avg 4000 yards both seasons. Also lead the Chiefs to the AFC title game in 93. Of course, Montana had a better team in KC which had one of the best defenses in the NFL and HOF Marcus Allen in the backfield. Favre doesn't have that kind of talent on the Jets.

Ryan Pode
Aug 11th, 2008, 05:05:17 PM
Unitas and Namath were also physically done. Favre isn't. So if he can learn some of the playbook and get some time, I think he can be very dangerous for Jet's opponents. Otherwise, he's very dangerous for the Jets.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 11th, 2008, 09:44:23 PM
Unitas and Namath were also physically done. Favre isn't. So if he can learn some of the playbook and get some time, I think he can be very dangerous for Jet's opponents. Otherwise, he's very dangerous for the Jets.

He is coming in very late though, also he doesn't have the personnel around him. Montana even had better WR and I always thought they were always a problem for him in KC.

jjwr
Aug 19th, 2008, 09:35:35 AM
He will improve the Jets but they won't win the division and will be lucky to get a shot at a WC spot.