PDA

View Full Version : Spaced comes to America?

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 3rd, 2008, 03:55:31 PM
I just read this (http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/03/pegg_confirms_no_involvement_i.php), and it won't be good I'm sure of it. :uhoh

How to destroy any faint chance that an American remake of British sitcom Spaced would be any good:

1. Don't involve Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright, or Jessica Stevenson--the show's creators--in any way at all. Though they're the ones who made the original desirable enough that you want to remake it, they would clearly have nothing further to contribute to an adaptation.

2. Do bring Charlie's Angels director McG on board. The problem with Spaced was that it wasn't enough like a blindingly over-satured music video, and its credits sorely lacked an self-important pseudonym.

3. Cast Mike O'Malley and Debra Messing in the lead roles.

With Pegg officially confirming his lack of involvement, two of these statements are now fact, and the third can't be far behind. To visualize the state of this project, think of that scene in Alien Resurrection where Ripley stumbles upon her grotesque, failed genetic clones, begging with all their strength to be killed.

Offical news linky here, with Simon Pegg's comments on the American version of Spaced which does not involve him in any fashion. (http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/03/02/simon-pegg-on-the-american-remake-of-spaced/)

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 7th, 2008, 07:01:55 PM
This is so wrong :|

Rutabaga
Mar 7th, 2008, 08:37:52 PM
With extremely rare exceptions, any time someone tries to translate a successful English program over to American TV, they destroy it. So this is in all likelihood going to suck. Big time.

I also have tremendous fears about the American version of Life on Mars...there's no way it will match the gritty fascination that made the original series so compulsively watchable.

Droo
Mar 7th, 2008, 09:23:02 PM
I believe Edgar Wright is calling it McSpaced. I won't be paying any attention to this rubbish. Spaced is one of my favourite things and it sickens me to think of this tacky transatlantic cash-in.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 10th, 2008, 01:29:29 AM
I tried watching 2 episodes of Spaced and I didn't like it at all. Does the show get better later on?

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 10th, 2008, 07:48:45 AM
I enjoyed it from the beginning. It's got a weird sense of humour to it, though.

Mute
Mar 10th, 2008, 08:16:33 AM
I tried watching 2 episodes of Spaced and I didn't like it at all. Does the show get better later on?

It doesn't change as the show progresses. There are some episodes I enjoy a bit more than others but if you don't like it immediately then I doubt you'll like it at all.

Locksmith
Mar 11th, 2008, 11:49:35 PM
I believe Edgar Wright is calling it McSpaced. I won't be paying any attention to this rubbish. Spaced is one of my favourite things and it sickens me to think of this tacky transatlantic cash-in.

Just wait, ABC is making a new The IT Crowd series over here. Gag. The original is a riot.