PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a good (and cheap) Webhost?

Tri'ahna Zylary
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:08:57 PM
I'm about at my wits end with my current host as their service is getting worse and either no one's around for support or they experience strange lags or cut you off etc... :verymad

I'm not looking for an imagehost, I need to move my entire domain and website to a different host. In case anyone wasn't sure what I meant.

These days pretty much the only thing I'm insisting on is having a cpanel admin console, and decent space etc...

Anyone any ideas?

Cat X
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:13:48 PM
http://www.dreamhost.com

Utterly awesome, you will not get a better deal. Nor will you get the kind of functionality they offer.

Khendon Sevon
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:36:41 PM
My Dear God!

They have SVN repo's!?!??!

I think I'm in love.

Kraleil 'Alekeg' Schous
Feb 28th, 2008, 02:51:46 AM
They have a "home-grown" admin panel. I'd like to see what that looks like BEFORE I'd sign up.... my current host changed to something home-grown that is utter crap so I am extremely wary and that's why I wanted cpanel (that's what they had before, I know it and I knew what to do and where to go). They do have a page all about their control panel but the picture of it is tiny......

And their payment plan has the cheapest fee if sign up and pay in advance for 10 years?!?!?

Yog
Feb 28th, 2008, 03:21:30 AM
I use dreamhost as well, and can recommend it.

Tri'ahna Zylary
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:08:47 AM
Any chance you could make a few screenshots of the functionality of their control panel?

Turbogeek
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:15:59 AM
Any chance you could make a few screenshots of the functionality of their control panel?

Trust me, Cpanel aint got crap on Dreamhost's homegrown panel. It is simply the best one I've seen to use and I can basically do utterly anything you can think of.

They also email you instructions when you do something, like the one click installs. Oh that's right, they also have FOR FREE and ready to go Gallery, phpBB 3, Wordpress (plus more), properly configured and every option for Apache including (gulp) Frontpage extentions. You DO avoid Frontpage, right?

Tri'ahna Zylary
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:18:16 AM
Never do anything with frontpage.....

It's starting to sound good but I don't like that whole 10-year deal, and the 2-year one's a bit more than I can afford....

Yog
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:38:54 AM
Basically, the controlpanel beats the crap out of cPanel which is the "industry standard". I can't be bothered to go into every single menu and capture screens, because there are bucketloads, but here are some:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5717/cp1ty0.jpg

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1515/cp2lh7.jpg

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4963/cp3vw9.jpg

Tri'ahna Zylary
Feb 28th, 2008, 06:11:28 AM
Okay..... I gotta go convince someone in my family to pay for this damned fee...... thanks Yog for the screens!

Pierce Tondry
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:39:56 PM
When I saw the thread said "good and cheap" I thought of Marcus. Then I saw "webhost" and I still thought of Marcus. Is that two zings or just one? :)

I'm not into hosting and whatnot, however as an outsider who keeps their ear to the ground I have heard nothing but good things about Dreamhost. Take that for what you will.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:30:07 PM
Dreamhost isn't the best if you're doing something that uses a lot of CPU resources. However, if you just want bandwidth and space it cannot be beat.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 24th, 2008, 06:00:35 PM
I have a question - would Dreamhost be a good option for hosting a website for a local restaurant? Friends of mine have asked me to work on a site for them, so I want to give them a good one. Or at least, as good as I can make it.

(I'm trying to figure out what to charge them for designing and setting it up, I've almost settled on $250[+hosting expenses of course] and additional if they want me to maintain it for them... but any advice is welcome. I'm probably mediocre when it comes to implementing designs, but I think I can put together a clean and simple site that will fit their purposes)

Morgan Evanar
May 24th, 2008, 06:42:45 PM
Apis networks will generally have better uptime / server responsiveness than dreamhost.

You could send me a mockup and see how fast it loads/user experience is on dreamhost.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 24th, 2008, 07:05:45 PM
I don't have a mock-up yet, but I'll do that when I have one. :)