PDA

View Full Version : Alakazam!

Owen Sharpe
Jan 16th, 2008, 10:04:40 AM
Beyond the curtain, the whitterings of the crowd were growing louder in anticipation. The opening night in Chicago was upon him, and he revelled in it. He fed off the applause, feasted on the admiration and the cheers. It fixed him more than any drink or drug could ever do, and he lived to perform.

"You handsome devil, you."

Owen straightened his collar in the mirror, running his fingers through his hair and checking his pockets, making sure he had everything he needed. Everything was in place; he was prepared, the stage was set and the seat were filling.

He gave quick look to the clock. 7:55. Five minutes until the show began.

Rod Stafford
Jan 16th, 2008, 10:50:06 AM
Rod was ordering refreshments at a bustling counter in the the foyer. Fiona reeled off a list of items for the counter assistant to fetch. Rod tipped the flustered woman for her trouble, and walked off with an armful of popcorn, candy, and ice-cream. Fiona carried the drinks. He was treating her to a night out in thanks for the training sessions she'd provided in her home. She scooped up a handful of popcorn from the bucket nesting with the rest of the stash and guided a straw into his mouth from one of her drinks.

"I've no idea where to go," he said, squeazing through the crowd, "Lead the way!"

Fiona Devlin
Jan 16th, 2008, 11:02:47 AM
:: Fiona weaved through the people, leading Rod to the first row. The perfect seats for a magic show ::

Owen Sharpe
Jan 16th, 2008, 12:46:29 PM
The door to Owen's room opened, and a petite, red haired girl walked in, hair pinned up and clipboard in hand.

"They're ready for you, Mr Sharpe."

The Magician looked himself over in the mirror once more. Satisfied with how he looked, he turned towards the girl, a wide grin plastered across his face.

"But of course they are, my flame-haired damsel! Or are they?" he exclaimed, pacing across the room towards her, arms thrown out. "Is one ever truly ready to experience the beauty and artistic flare of a show such as mine?" he continued, his eyes wide and wild.

"...I..."

"Do not answer, my pretty! I know what you're thinking! Just, find a seat and enjoy!"

Brushing past her, he strided up towards the stage, looking out from the wings. On stage, a variety of props lay about, but most prominent was a tall, thin cupboard, right in the middle.

The curtain rose, and a deathly silence washed over the theatre. Still in the wings, Owen slid a deck of cards from his pocket, and began to shuffle. Contented, he stepped out onto stage, the audience looking onward expectantly as he moved the cards about in his hands.

"Tonight, my friends, you will experience something...special!" he boomed, moving beside the cabinet. "Tonight, Chicago, is the night you will truly believe..."

His right hand moved to the handle of the cabinet, cards held high in his left.

"...in magic!"

Squeezing his fingers, the deck of cards spat up into the air, a storm of heart, diamonds, clubs and spades shooting up and around as he pulled open the cabinet. From the darkness, a plume of flame shot out and up, before dissipating to reveal another Owen Sharpe within the cabinet, mirroring the stance of the original, whom now took a bow before the wide-eyed audience.

"Welcome to my show!" the two Owens shouted out to the theatre, before the original shut the door on the cabinet again. A click of the fingers, and he whipped open the door again, revealing an empty closet. Owen wasted no time in collecting a sledgehammer from nearby, smashing the cupboard to splinters so as to prove it was an ordinary piece of furnishing.

"And that is just a taster of the delights your eye shalt feast upon tonight, my friends!" he laughed, replacing the hammer as a stagehand rushed on, brushing away the remains of the cabinet, as the magician prepared for his next series of tricks.

Rod Stafford
Jan 16th, 2008, 01:08:00 PM
"Oh, he's good!"

Rod cheered, his face aglow from being in such close proximity to the naked flame. His applause sent popcorn leaping from the bucket in his lap.

"Have you ever seen a trick like that before?" he whispered to Fiona, and nudged her.

"And that was a perfectly normal wardrobe - look at the splinters! Your Average Joe, run-of-the-mill, no frills furniture! Ha! Impressive!"

He shoved a handful of popcorn into his mouth and happily munched away.

Fiona Devlin
Jan 16th, 2008, 01:13:29 PM
:: Fiona looked a bit cynical, but nibbled on popcorn to keep quiet. She was curious to see what happened next ::

Owen Sharpe
Jan 16th, 2008, 01:33:15 PM
For a while, Owen pranced about in the aisles, performing pretty basic card tricks and flirting with the girls in his flambouyant nature. After 10 minutes or so, he returned to the stage, shuffling his cards again.

"Now, a volunteer, if you please!" he demanded, pacing along the front of the stage, his wide, piercing eyes looking down along the members of the front row. His eyes settled on an unimpessed woman, sat next to a gentlemen with popcorn scattered across his lap.

"You, my dear? Would you be so kind as to indulge me for a few moments?" he asked. "That is, if your partner doesn't mind?" he continued, looking towards the man in question.

Rod Stafford
Jan 16th, 2008, 01:38:10 PM
Rod was thoroughly enamored with the great Owen Sharpe - the man had style! - he beamed when approached and said:

"Take her! She's yours!"

He turned to Fiona and prodded her in the side to get her up out of her seat.

Fiona Devlin
Jan 16th, 2008, 01:44:46 PM
:: Fiona blinked, and she flustered as Rod pushed her up towards the stage. She mouthed words silently at him (<i>I'm going to get you for this</i>) then smiled nervously out at the audience ::

Owen Sharpe
Jan 16th, 2008, 01:55:11 PM
"A hand, ladies and gentlemen! A hand!" Owen cried out, and the audience responded with an appreciative wave of applause as he lead the woman across the stage by her hand.

After gesturing to the wings, two black-clad men wheeled out a large, wooden board, painted like an archery target.

In the middle of the stage, Owen positioned Fiona side-on to the audience, and he turned to face her, shuffling his cards once more.

"Now, my fair lady, if you wouldn't mind..." the magician said, spreading the deck in a fan, gesturing for her to pick one as he looked away and closed his eyes.

Rod Stafford
Jan 16th, 2008, 01:56:54 PM
"Go on, Fiona! Pick one!" A gleeful voice cried out from the audience.

Fiona Devlin
Jan 16th, 2008, 05:21:58 PM
:: Fiona flashed Rod a sweet and dangerous pixie grin, then picked a card ::

Owen Sharpe
Jan 18th, 2008, 08:54:46 AM
"Now, please display your chosen card to the audience, then replace it into the deck, if you would be so kind" Owen commanded, still looking away.

As Fiona did so, Owen turned back, shuffling the cards again.

"Very good. Now, if you please" he said, motioning to the large target and leading her over to it. He stood her facing the audience, back against the board. His assistants proceeded to tie Fiona's wrists to the board, and Owen made his way over.

"No harm shall come to you, my pretty. Just, say absolutely still" he murmered, too quiet for the audience to hear.

Striding back to the front of the stage, he selected a card.

"I don't think it's this one..."

With a sudden burst of energy, he flung the card spinning towards Fiona. A few feet short of her, it seemed to bend in the air, veering off course and penetrating the board a few inches above her head. The crowd gasped, Owen turning back to see their reaction.

Rod Stafford
Jan 19th, 2008, 04:04:36 PM
Rod's seat squeaked when he leaned back, his face full of suprise. He had heard of magic shows but had no idea that Sleepers could achieve such impressive feats of illusion and trickery.

"How does he do that?"

He sat upright and watched the magician with scrutiny.

Fiona Devlin
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:37:44 PM
:: Fiona winced. The last time she was onstage in a magic show it went badly for her. She shot a quick dirty look at Rod again and prayed it would be over soon ::

Owen Sharpe
Jan 24th, 2008, 08:17:50 AM
Owen continued to send cards shooting into the board, a pattern of them arranged around Fiona's form. He stopped, picking out a card and looking at it with interest.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I do believe I hav found the card my dear volunteer chose not so long ago!" he bellowed, turning back to the audience and raising the card triumphantly.

Turning back to Fiona, he threw the card towards her. However, just as it was to be released from his hand, it disappeared. The crowd gasped, and almost instantly Fiona felt something appear in her right shoe.

Pocketing the rest of the pack, Owen marched over to her, released her from the board and leading her to the front of the stage.

"Somewhere on this lovely lady's person, the card now resides!" he stated, rolling the "R" of his last word. "If you would, my dear" he said, motioning for Fiona to reveal the card.

Rod Stafford
Jan 24th, 2008, 10:19:52 AM
Fiona hopped on one foot and dug her fingers into her shoe. Rod watched as she pulled out a card and held it up for the audience to see; it was her card, the Six of Hearts. The audience cheered and applauded. Rod clapped his hands to be polite but his eyes scanned the stage, the magician and his apparatus. He was vexed.

Fiona Devlin
Jan 28th, 2008, 04:44:09 PM
:: Fiona handed the card to Owen, and as he reveled in the applause, she tried to sneak off the stage ::

Owen Sharpe
Feb 1st, 2008, 02:30:04 PM
Owen continued the show for another half hour or so, continuing with card tricks, illusions and sleight of hand. After finishing, he took a long bow, absorbing the applause.

"Now, ladies and gentlemen! I would be honoured if you would all join me in the lobby. Refreshments are being served free of charge, and I welcome your questions!"

He took another bow, before retreating bacstage to get changed again.

Rod Stafford
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:02:55 AM
Rod rose out of his seat immediately as the lights came up. His face was gloomy and he shifted irritably in trying to get through the shambling crowd with Fiona in tow.

"Magician, my bum!" he muttered.

Fiona Devlin
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:28:06 AM
:: Fiona was about to choke Rod when she blinked ::

"Whot?"

Rod Stafford
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:41:29 AM
"He's a fraud. A phoney."

He slowed so Fiona could fall in line with him, and he leaned in to her ear.

"He's like me."

Owen Sharpe
Feb 16th, 2008, 09:52:18 AM
"Aha, a good magician never reveals his secrets!" Owen laughed, wagging his finger at an elderly couple. "That would just spoil the mystery, my good people".

He shook the gentlemen's hand, before moving along, collecting a glass of wine from a passing waitress. In the corner of his eye, he caught sight of Fiona and her companion. Waiting for them to move fully into the room, he made his way over to them.

"Ah, my lovely assistant!" he called, briskly pacing over to the couple. "I do hope you both enjoyed the show?", waving a waitress over with more wine for them.

Fiona Devlin
Feb 18th, 2008, 11:10:10 AM
"Yes." she lied through her teeth. "I do love having sharp objects tossed at me." :D

Rod Stafford
Feb 18th, 2008, 05:37:57 PM
"Hmph! Show..."

Rod scoffed, he snatched a glass of wine from the tray carried by the waitress and gulped it. His fierce gaze fell back upon the charlatan.

"More like a... a mockery!"

Owen Sharpe
Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:21:06 AM
Owen gazed back at the man, an eyebrow lifted.

"Mockery?" he repeated. "Apolagies, but I don't follow my good man."

Rod Stafford
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:29:53 PM
He gave Fiona a knowing glance, she rolled her eyes, then he leaned in close to him and without blinking, said:

"I know what you are."

Owen Sharpe
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:41:11 PM
Owen frowned. It seemed he'd performed to another believer.

"If you would be so kind" he said, motioning for the two to follow him.

He lead them through a nearby door and into a white corridor that smelled of fresh paint.

"I can understand that what you've seen today may seem as real as a slap around the chops" he explained, turned to the two. "However, you must remember that magic is not real. It is not a force in existence. My show is for entertainment purposes. Designed to dazzle and enthrall. Nothing more. It is all an illusion, you see?"

Fiona Devlin
Feb 25th, 2008, 03:26:31 PM
:: Fiona nodded ::

"Make sure it stays that way."

Rod Stafford
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:39:12 PM
"Don't patronise me," Rod spat furiously, his finger pointed at Owen's face.

"A trick for you," he said, and raised his wine glass so that the magician could see its contents.

He glanced around first then stared at the wine intently, uttered the Enochian word for "dust", and with a flick of the wrist, he emptied the glass. The wine leapt out and suddenly dispersed into a fine red mist, which Rod blew at Owen, speckling his face crimson.

"I would suggest you clean yourself up but there's no need. After all, it's just an illusion."