PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Hope

Dr. Giger
Jan 8th, 2008, 06:30:58 PM
Mon Calamari glistened beautifully blue in a crystal black blanket of speckled stars; a great wide ocean bobbing amid an even greater, wider ocean of infinite secrets. The water world was itself one large spaceport, with various shipyards and starports in orbit playing host to all manner of large and small craft coming and going amongst the hustle and bustle of interstellar travel. One such ship - a large passenger liner of exquisite design - had just dropped out of hyperspace and was approaching the planet.

After entering synchronous orbit, the internal ships intercom crackled to life, rousing the interest of all passengers on board.

"This is the captain speaking. We are now in orbit of Mon Calamari. Would all passengers please make their way to the shuttle bays. Thank you and enjoy your stay."

A dignified, ageing man turned once again to his companions at their table and began to rise up from the lounge seat.

"It was a pleasure talking to you Geraldine... Martha..." he nodded. "I'd better go and gather my things. I hope your daughters wedding goes off without a hitch. Oh, no - that'd be awful wouldn't it."

He chuckled with their polite giggles as they too rose to head for the shuttle bays. "Have a lovely time ladies. Bye-bye."

Dr. Giger waved as they went in the opposite direction. He returned to his lone chair to retrieve his briefcase, bag and coat before entering the nearest elevator. he pressed the second to last button which caused the doors to close swiftly and the elevator to descend.

"Dr. Giger, message for you.'

"Thank you Captain Jennings. I'm in elevator seventeen, can you forward it through?"

'Certainly Doctor.'

"Thanks you ever so much."

The intercom cut off and a viewscreen blinked on behind the good doctor.

'Dr. Giger?'

His eyes widened with surprise as the voice seemingly came from nowhere, Then he slowly about-turned and gave a sheepish grin.

"Oh, Professor Kelgon, wonderful to hear from you. I'm just on my way down now."

'Splendid, splendid. I trust you know where to find me?'

Dr. Giger raised a finger accusingly, shaking it at the viewscreen image of the Mon Calamari professor.

"Now Professor Kelgon - I may not have ever set foot on your exquisite homeworld...or rather tread water on your exquisite homeworld...but I have a very keen sense of direction. The rudimentary map you gave me will be fine. I'll see you within the hour."

"I'm sure you will Doctor. Bye for now."

"Bye-bye Professor Kelgon."

He lightly tapped the large green button, terminating the transmission just as the elevator came to a stop and the doors swished open to reveal a very busy shuttle bay. Dr. Giger straightened his tie and gave his silver hair a quick comb before stepping out to find his shuttle.

Dr. Giger
Jan 15th, 2008, 06:34:20 PM
The shuttle took off once more as the group moved down from the landing pad to be greeted by various people; relatives, holiday representatives, lovers, old friends, new friends and associates. But there was nobody waiting to greet Dr. Giger with a friendly smile or a well-needed embrace. Instead, he took out his previously aquired map and headed off down the ramp towards the large terminal entrance out over the water - a personal droid trailing behind with his luggage in it's large storage bay.

The ramp led down to a system of civilian elevators that led down into the facilities many sections - the vast majority of which were below sea level. Yet Dr. Giger was heading across the long walkway that led to a splendid glass tunnel away from the island that housed the landing pad. The tunnel wa sin fact a luxurious metro system that was only accessible by certain guests of the facility. The good doctor stepped into the VIP terminal and took a seat on the large repulsorlift pad. The droid came to rest at the rear of the pad while he was up front with a few other passengers of comparable esteem.

The repulsorpad soon hummed to life as it left it's small docking station and began it's descent through the glass tunnel.

Grace Van-Derveld
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:36:50 PM
Mon Calamari was a staunch supporter of the Rebellion. This planet donated generously to weapons, ships and beings to fight against the Empire. Many Mon Cal's had given up their ordinary and safe lives to become members: Admiral Ackbar noticeably. His bravery and tactics helped the Alliance to destroy Lord Vader's flagship at the Battle of Endor.

What really impressed the Alliance is that as a whole, the world was always under scrutiny under the Empire but they had to prove Mon Calamari was given support. After Alderaan was destroyed, many Rebel cells went underground, literally, to avoid detection if the planet allowed. In the case of Mon Calamari, Rebel bases went underwater.

Grace Van-Derveld was overseeing weapons distribution on one of those very bases today. The Empire was still divided and leaderless and the Rebellion needed to take advantage of the situation. They continued to stir trouble and rally other subjugated beings to their cause, but they needed weapons and equipment to mount their strikes. Their had been a backlog of those needs and Grace was helping to get them back on schedule.

Dr. Giger
Jan 24th, 2008, 07:04:37 AM
After a rather pleasant descent of several minutes sitting in relative silence - aside from the occasional comments exchanged by the good doctor's fellow travellers, Dr. Giger stepped off the now-docked repulsorpad and entered the Medical Pavilion. As he walked past various beings of different species, most of them Mon Calamari, heproduced the rudimentary map provided him earlier and began to follow it's directions.

The architecture was very tubular and rounded, as if he were traversing the insides of some gigantic, albeit well-kept and roomy, sea creature. The corridors were wide and low, with the lighting intercut into the ceiling - bright and fresh; a stark contrast to the murky swirls of the ocean just beyond the large glass windows that frequented the periphery of his vision. The decor was equally inviting. Various drapes were spaced at intervals, depicting scenes and pictures of nameless instances. Some had indecipherable texts like glyphs. Dr. Giger assumed they were a variation, or even a direct evolvement of tribal writings before the Mon Calamari adopted their present culture and society. Occasionally the bare halls were broken by a small arrangement of ornaments or displays running down the centre, forcing the traffic of bodies to split around them. Though he was pre-occupied by his quest, the good doctor made a mental note to observe them in mroe detail at a later time.

After roughly fifteen minutes of nearly bumping into every single person he passed as a result of ignorantly burying his face in the map, he finally arrived at the Research Institute of Professor Kelgon. Smiling to himself, the esteemed gentleman discarded the map in the nearest waste dispenser and entered the facility.

Grace Van-Derveld
Jan 26th, 2008, 10:38:24 AM
"Hey Van-Derveld!"

Grace was too busy burying herself in a datapad to notice that one of her men was calling her. She lifted her eyes over the edge barely enough to get a glimpse of who it was, and it was Denviros, a Weequay. He was bulky, but it wasn't because of fat content. The man was a monster in muscle and thickness, his neck alone would require both hands to wrap around. He was just above 6 feet tall and scary looking with the amount of scar tissue on his face.

Denviros got caught in a frag grenade and was lucky to be alive, but the med droids could only do so much for him. The right side of his face looked boiled over with his right eye sealed shut by scar tissue. It wouldn't have matter anyway. The shrapnel that had embedded into his eye had cost him his sight.

It was amazing how jovial he remained. Quiet like his people normally were, he usually had a smile on his face. Now he was lumbering towards her with a big crate that had to weigh over 50lbs. "You know there are hoverlifts for those things?" she quipped with a smirk. "Wouldn't want you throwing out your back."

"Cute." He set it down with a loud clang and rested a boot on it. "There's another pallet in the back. All medical supplies. Bacta, scanners and tools. It'll help with our wounded on Sullust."

"Excellent. I'm just waiting on reports top-side. My spies are getting a head count of any Imp activity and a schedule of when we can move all of our supplies." She went back to keying in the new materials. "We can probably move out in 2, perhaps 3 days max."

Dr. Giger
Jan 27th, 2008, 10:50:34 AM
The two brilliant minds stood before a computer screen, their necks straining to get ever closer despite it's adequate size. They pointed and traced with their fingers over graphs and charts of varying colour and meaning, nodding and shaking their heads at different times, muttering thoughts and ideas constantly. Occasionally they would leave the desk and move to a large table strewn with apparatus and technical lab equipment, only to return shortly to the computer for more in-depth discussions.

This went on for hours until the two scientists grew tired and beat. They retired to a comfortable study, with an inviting glowlamp in the centre, surrounded by a large data archive on each wall. The Mon Calamari, Professor Kelgon, approached a large cabinet and opened it. A stark beam of light errupted from within, casting hard-edged light into the dimly-illuminated room.

"Anything to drink, my friend?"

Dr. Giger looked up from his enthrallment in the glowlamp and smilled.

"The usual please."

His gaze returned to the swirling orange colours embedded in the glowlamp's core. The mimicked the subtle swirling life of the ocean outside, and even the Mon Calamari's quiet breaths seemed in tune with the motion of those sedated dancing currents.

Professor Kelgon placed two beakers on the small table before taking a seat opposite the good doctor.

"I can't believe those hypocritical blockheads at the Institute of Science turned their back on you! Did you not think to talk with your associates at the Ministry of...

Dr. Giger shook his head. "I tred. They weren't interested. It seems fear has gotten the better of those I once put myself out for. My own funds are dwindling. I really am beginning to lose hope."

The Mon Calamari shook his head in disappointment, sipping his drink quietly.

"I know the ends..."

Professor Kelgon looked up at his friend.

"...I just don't have the means to get there." Dr.Giger clasped his head, rubbing gently as he felt the root of a migraine growing faintly. It subsided somewhat. He reached for his drink slowly as Professor Kelgon stood up.

"I take it you mean to see this through, no matter the cost?"

Dr. Giger almost glared at his colleague, his eyes sharp and accusing.

"Of course I am, Juntak! What an absurd question - he's my son! I'd venture into the next life to seek the answer if it were needed!

Professor Kelgon held his hands up apologetically.

"Forgive me. There was never any doubt in my mind of your resolve in this matter. What I mean to say is...are you really willing to take extreme measures?"

The good doctor arched an eyebrow, his head tilting back slightly.

"What are you getting at professor?"

Professor Kelgon sat back down, subconsciously leaning in as if dark and forbidden secrets were to be revealed that he dare not speak of too loudly. The hint of comedy in the professors behaviour was not lost on Dr. Giger as he looked around briefly, expecting some clown to jump out and laugh at them.

"It seems all official channels have closed themselves off to your plight, my friend... but have you considered pursuing such channels that might not be so open to avenues you normally take?

The human's patience was dwindling amidst this hushed clandestine talk of shadows.

"Oh for goodness sake, man! What in blazes are you talking about!? Spit it out, I must insist you stop beating around the bush and get to the damned point!"

Professor Kelgon sighed, annoyed at himself for rambling on vaguely.

"Have you not thought to seek out the Rebels?"

Grace Van-Derveld
Jan 28th, 2008, 05:50:20 PM
With everything cataloged and accounted for, Grace slipped out of her military garb and into something far less conspicuous to meet her operatives. The beige dress hugged her body appropriately. Nothing too tight that would draw wandering eyes. Grace wanted to blend in, not be the reason for whiplash, so her assets remained covered. It wasn't that kind of mission. The slip down the middle of the dress only gave short glimpses as to what lay hidden underneath, but her legs remained covered by cloth or boot. A double lined trench-coat, similar color of course to match, hid the E-11 blaster pistol and flash-bang grenades.

Lastly, her hair was tied up in the lastest Nabooian fashion. Two braids dangled at either side but were tied up at the top and then interwoven throughout the rest of the hair inside a ponytail. It was really tedious, but it was imperative to not only act the part of a tourist from Naboo, but look it.

She slipped on a pair of mirrorshades, grabbed a camera and boarded her Pod, a small underwater ship that could also fly in the atmosphere short distances, mainly from city to city, and headed top side.

Dr. Giger
Feb 15th, 2008, 07:48:53 AM
They walked hastily. The Mon Calamari knew that he was safe on his home planet which was a rebel-friendly sanctuary for people like Dr. Giger. But it was the good doctor himself who chose to move quickly for fear of apprehension just on the grounds of even thinking about seeking out the rebellion. He found himself sticking to shadows wherever they clung even in these warm and welcoming corridors. He pulled his hat low to his brow, concealing his gaze as he avoided the bustle of creatures who weaved amongst themselves.

"If we get caught, I swear you'll never hear the last of it, Professor! I can't believe I'm actually going to go through with this."

They soon arrived at the correct sector. The traffic of people was much lower than in the Medical Pavilion - no doubt the reason for their rebel contact choosing it as a meeting place. They approached a large padded seat with an interesting floral design across the base and stood beside it and the large window that looked out into the sea. A large numpadon swam past and eyed them both before disappearing into the darkness.

"How long do you think we'll have to wait?"

Grace Van-Derveld
Feb 16th, 2008, 11:53:31 AM
Grace had just flagged down a hovercab when her comm broke in. She rose a finger to tell him one moment and not to start the clock. Denviros popped in on her ear piece that looked just the latest in convenient Nabooian communication technology, except that it was Rebellion standard issued tech on the inside. Had long range communication, a scrambler that would make any slicer scratch their heads and it bounced the signals off several relays making it impossible to triangulate her position.

Hey Girlscout. We got a transmission from one of the Profs that they had someone that wanted to meet with a Rebellion Op. Mind checking in on that since you're top side already? Would save them some time and the message sounded desperate.

"Hmm, I think I can change my plans. Where shall we reschedule? I'm just dying to see the living water exhibit and it be such a shame to miss out." She looked upset.

They're having lunch at the Tarzana. Should be there now actually.

"Wonderful!" She sounded like a giddy schoolgirl. "I can do that. It's before the show starts. I'll see you then."

She entered the cab and got herself situated. "To the Tarzana please. And quickly."

Dr. Giger
Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:24:22 PM
A short while passed. Several beings had previously entered the small restaurant for lunch and so the good doctor and his associate decided it best to take a seat and order something so as not to draw attention to themselves. They took a seat towards the back of the seating area, facing the entrance. Dr Giger lowered his glasses slightly as he perused the menu.

"Nearly everything on the menu is seafood..."

Professor Kelgon gave his old friend a puzzled look.

"Dr. Giger, this is Mon Calamari, you know."

Dr Giger screwed his nose up a little as he shook his head in defiance.

"I'm just not in the mood for fish. I was hoping for something with a bit more....chunkiness. Don't they do steak here?"

"Fish Steak, yes!" Professor Kelgon waved the waiter over as he answered.

As the waiter approached he took out a small datapad and smiled to both of them even though Dr. Giger was scanning the menu in frustration. He soon placed the menu back on the table in defeat.

"I'll just have tea, thank you."

"It's imported tea, you know." added the professor.

"Well it'll just have to do then, won't it Juntak." came the blunt reply from the human.

Professor Kelgon smiled up at the waiter as he handed the menu's over.

"Two tea's, please."

The waiter gave a quick acknowledgement before disappearing into the kitchen. The good doctor sighed loudly as they waited for their contact to arrive. Then, just as the waiter had placed their tray on the table and turned to leave again, the main doors parted with a low swish. Dr. Giger reached for his cup as his friend sat up straight.

"I think this may be our contact."

The good doctor turned around in his seat.

Grace Van-Derveld
Mar 4th, 2008, 04:24:04 PM
Grace waved off the maître d' politely, letting the Mon Cal know that she was expected. She tapped her mirrorshades down enough to get a crystal clear view of the establishment. The Rebel was familiar with the files of quite a few Professors at the University and was hoping she'd recognize someone. And she did.

Professor Kelgon looked exactly as he did on file. The other human was unfamiliar and quickly grew suspicious. At least until his motives were clear, but even then Grace trusted very few.

She offered a wave and headed towards his table. "Professor!" Graced sounded as if they were old friends who hadn't seen each other in years, when in fact this was the first time Kelgon had set eyes on her. It was all an act to fool everyone in the vicinity. "It's good to see you again."

Dr. Giger
Mar 13th, 2008, 12:05:43 PM
"A pleasure as always. Won't you sit down?"

The rebel took a seat opposite the good doctor. The waiter emerged from the kitchen and approached them but Professor Kelgon shook a finger to ward him off politely.

"This is a very good friend and former associate of mine, Dr. Giger. The unfortunate circumstances he currently finds himself in is what led me to contact you." The Mon Calamari gestured towards Dr. Giger, who gave a timid nod and a smile before reaching out with the palm of his hand.

"Pleasure to meet you, my dear."

Grace Van-Derveld
Mar 29th, 2008, 09:31:12 AM
Professor Kelgon was well known amongst the Rebellion. He was excellent at picking out candidates for the cause, having an eye for character. But no one was infallible. Grace would continue to be cautious until Dr. Giger's background check was completed.

"So Doctor." She scrutinized him carefully from the suit he was wearing, how he carried himself, the chronometer on his wrist, to the way he enunciated every syllable. Every nuance of his character was being challenged by Grace's skepticism. "How can I be of assistance to you?"

Dr. Giger
Apr 3rd, 2008, 06:58:02 AM
The good doctor glanced at his associate briefly, allowing a rather naive smile to fly across his mouth momentarily.

"To be perfectly honest my dear, and I do beg your forgiveness, but I'm not entirely sure. Obviously due to the nature of both my plight and your...employers background, Professor Kelgon wasn't exactly thorough in his information. Though I am very grateful you took the time out of your no doubt busy schedule to come and meet with us."

He finally breathed a sigh of relief, having broken the ice and gotten over that first uncomfortable hurdle of explaining the apprehension his demeanor undoubtedly portrayed. He sipped his imported tea before continuing.

"Forgive me my dear, but I don't even know your name..."

OOC: I'll edit in something here based on what you wish, rather than wait for a reply and then carry on with the scene.

"Well my dear, I must confess I really am at my wits end. Everywhere I have gone my requests for help and support from former associates and fellow researchers have fallen on deaf ears given the current state of the galactic powers being as they are...."

Dr. Giger's tone became evidently quieter as he continued.

"...the crux of the matter concerns my son. He was once a very promising student of the Jedi Council. But as with so many noble students of the Jedi, my son was mercilessly turned on by his own allies in the republic. His Jedi allies who were there at the time managed to drive off the verminous barbarians and move him to safety. But by the time I was notified and arrived at their location, he was already comatose."

A tear welled up besode his eye, but was blinked away before it managed to sail down his cheek. He breathed deeply before clearing his throat.

"I have since then all but exhausted my own personal funds - which were once quite admirable - in an attempt to determine the cause of his condition. But subsequent treatments have opened up tangent avenues of both research and treatments I simply do not have the resources to pursue anymore."

Professor Kelgon sat upright, realising Dr. Giger seemed to be talking quite a bit without giving their contact a chance to contribute. The good doctor held a palm towards the Mon Calamari.

"It's alright professor, you know I prefer to explain thoroughly before I allow for interjections."

The professor settled back down and smiled.

"I sit here before you, my dear, all but a broken man with knowledge I would consider to be very valuable in these dangerous and uncertain times. And I believe your cause to be a noble one. I ask for help and support from you and your allies so that I may continue my research and restore my son's vitality to what it once was. And in return I offer any assistance I am able to give, whether it be medical attention or research into more... extreme needs the alliancer may require."

He sighed deeply as he sat back in his chair, reaching for his tea as he did so.

"Please feel free to add to or query anything I have just told you. I understand I appeared to assault my way through that speech, but I'd rather lay all my cards on the table before we went any further."

Grace Van-Derveld
May 17th, 2008, 08:42:58 AM
"You can call me Padra," she replied with a warm smile that was far from genuine. Grace was still trying to piece through the situation that Dr. Giger had presented because he landed quite a mess into her lap.

It was part of the Alliance's mission statement to secure any and all beings that were willing to work for a better galaxy that were determined to end the tyranny of the Empire. Add Jedi into the mix and multiply the danger ten fold because the Inquisitors then get involved.

Fortunately for Dr. Giger, he had the Assistance Director of Rebellion Intel at his table to make sure that things didn't get too messy. However, Grace will continue to remain dubious until all parties involved were confirmed.

"I'm going to be honest, Dr. Giger. We do have an interest in helping your son giving the circumstances and your offer is fair. However, Professor Kelgon is known to us, you are not." She pushed her purse next to Kelgon and nodded that he should hand it over to Giger. "I'm going to need to verify your story and will need your prints and a copy of your ID."

Dr. Giger
Jun 29th, 2008, 02:56:53 PM
Dr. Giger gave a warn smile. Before reaching into his coat pocket. He revealed two small square electronic devices: one was an ID-chip and the other was a small delta-grade data-card.

"I thought as much Padra, and took the liberty of preparing them in advance to save time."

His hand delved into the purse and found another square device; a small metal plate surrounded by a plastic housing dotted with minute lights and switches. It was already active. He pressed his thumb onto the metal face, applying firm pressure. His fingerprint was automatically read and stored, accompanied by a slight hissing sound, while a beep and a sharp intake of breath signified the four small prongs piercing his skin for a blood sample.

Shaking his hand to eradicate the slight stinging sensation, he placed all three devices into the purse and handed it back.

"I trust the checks will not take too long? I am rather anxious to...get involved."

Grace Van-Derveld
Jul 4th, 2008, 01:38:07 PM
He was a man in desperation, but a man that was able to keep his mind focused on the end game - whatever that was. Considering his story, Grace really hoped that the Doctor was telling the truth. Pulling at the heart strings of the Alliance and then lying was going to end up having a blaster bolt blow through the good Doctor's head. But Grace was starting to sense that his desperation was a genuine response of a father doing what was right for his son.

She smiled and took back her purse, guarding it carefully with a squeeze of the hand. "It depends. But probably no more then a day or two. Things are not as simple when one needs to keep off of the Net. As soon as it is done, I'll make sure to contact Professor Kelgon."