PDA

View Full Version : The Curves Life Throws

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:20:18 PM
:: Brigid felt the buzz as she walked out onto the rooftop. She'd been searching for a sign for the last three nights. Either Mason or Junko. It didn't matter who she found first. Her adrenalin was pumping, and she was itching for a fight ::

Nikoleta
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:31:05 PM
For three days since her first training session with Trevor, Nikoleta had been scouring the streets of Chicago for Brigid. She made it a point to keep Trevor out of their fight, not allowing him to give any information about where she could be staying, as tempting as it were.

She had her own contacts with the Chicago PD and club owners. Seemed her wayward student was a fan of a Goth band called Esoterica, but Brigid was no where to be seen. The other possible lead was a car accident. Several bodies had been shot, ran over, and electrocuted. Eye witness reports matched a description similar to Brigid and an Immortal that Nikoleta had yet to run into but had heard of, Nicolas Mason. He was killed during the crusades and became a pupil of Kassandra; a woman of alluring beauty and twisted evil who was far older then Nikoleta herself. If Mason was in Chicago, his mistress couldn't be too far behind. He was one of her attack dogs.

Her efforts went into patrolling for Brigid or Mason. The former would be preferable, but snuffing out Mason for his blatant disregard for the secrecy of the Game wouldn't trouble the ancient Immortal at all.

But then her thoughts were silenced as the tingling sensation of another Immortal nearby was felt. She hugged the side of the nearby building, slipping into the shadows of the alley and looked around for where the other Immortal could be. Nothing was seen directly in front of her or back. She scanned upwards and felt her heart stop when she saw Brigid.

The scared girl she had first met was no where to be seen. Brigid's face was hardened and angry, lusting for a fight. It was far worse then the last time they had met a century prior, and it seemed any remnants of the girl she thought of as a daughter were finally gone. The Brigid she knew wouldn't be stalking around the streets itching for a fight because the smell of blood was intoxicating.

Because of her lack of concentration, it looked as if Nikoleta had not been spotted.

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:36:51 PM
:: Brigid spoke out, first in Japanese, then English as she drew her Hanzo sword ::

"COME OUT!!! I KNOW YOU'RE HERE!!!"

Nikoleta
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:41:44 PM
Nikoleta frowned as she used the shadows as cover, crawling against buildings and cars to get Brigid's location. What was curious is that she had spoke Japanese first and then English.

Mason was not originally from Japan, so it made the elder Immortal curious if yet another one of their kind was in the City. It made the mind reel if Chicago was the staging ground for the end Game with so many of them gathering here...

Upon reaching the fire escape, Nikoleta jumped up and grabbed the railing. She swung her body to gain momentum and pulled herself up and over the side. The Immortal was silent as a cat as she wound her way up the stairs towards the roof.

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:45:43 PM
:: Brigid stepped out of the light, not keen on taking a shuriken, or a bullet again ::

Nikoleta
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:51:22 PM
Nikoleta's head rose slowly over the side of the building to check on Brigid's position. She had retreated away from the light and her back was towards her. The advantage was still hers. With one more heave up the ladder, the Immortal was on solid ground.

Her heart was racing with what was to come. She had to keep her mind focused and not allow any weakness to show. The broken heart that thumped sadly must remain hidden, for surely her head would be taken.

Rage oozed off of Brigid, and she paced the rooftop like a caged animal ready to strike. Any moment the girl was going to explode and do something stupid. Nikoleta could take advantage of that, but the point of this fight was to make Brigid understand her mistakes before her last breath was stolen.

"Brigid." She could wait no longer. Surprise was her ally as she stepped out into the light. "It's me you felt."

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:54:30 PM
:: Brigid whirled, and she looked suprised to see her mentor. Keeping her at sword's length, she answered ::

"Should I be happy about that?"

Nikoleta
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:56:04 PM
"I don't know what it is you feel anymore, Brigid." Nikoleta circled her former student but did not advance, nor draw her weapon. She was quite saddened at how far the girl had fallen and made no attempts at hiding it. "So how could I even begin to guess."

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:58:05 PM
"You picked a bad time to talk. Maybe another time, ok?"

Nikoleta
Jan 7th, 2008, 06:00:48 PM
"It's never a good time to talk with you." Her voice turned sharp and angry. "But you are going to listen anyway."

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 8th, 2008, 08:10:33 AM
:: Brigid finally noted that Nikoleta hadn't drawn her sword, and out of respect lowered hers ::

"Alright. I'm listening."

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 08:21:05 AM
"I gave you one last chance, Brigid. One last chance to prove to me that what I taught you wasn't lost. But you failed me yet again." As angry as she was, Nikoleta spoke with a regal quality, trying to not sound like a mother scolding her child. "You made a vow to me after Ariatna killed Cormac that you would reign yourself in."

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 8th, 2008, 08:45:33 AM
:: Brigid glowered at the mention of Cormac's name. She looked like she had been struck on both cheeks ::

"How dare you??? You know what he was to me!!!"

:: She started to raise her sword, but stood, shaking ::

"I also swore that I'd take her out. Hunt her down. I couldn't take her then."

:: She sneered defiantly ::

"I can now."

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 08:50:32 AM
Nikoleta raised a brow in scrutiny, "But vengeance is more important that a promise you made to me? I don't know how you were able to do it, but hunting down younger Immortals to gain power so you can kill her is wrong! Your rage has blinded you!"

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 8th, 2008, 08:58:23 AM
:: Brigid turned her back, walking to the edge of the rooftop. Staring down at the street, she trembled ::

"So you're here to kill me." she growled through clenched teeth. "Right?"

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 09:05:30 AM
"I warned you of what would happen." She removed the scabbard from underneath the leather trench coat she wore and tossed it aside, the blade sung when removed from its home.

"Wade, and the lives of others you've taken wrongfully," she paused, readying the German broadsword before her with two hands, "Their deaths cannot go unpunished."

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 8th, 2008, 09:10:19 AM
:: Brigid turned, her face a mix of fright and anger ::

"Alright." she swallowed hard. "Let's do it."

:: She raised her sword, and walked towards her Mentor ::

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 09:13:10 AM
Nikoleta nodded, her face unreadable. But when Brigid was close enough, she saw a tear fall down her mentor's cheek.

Then their swords clashed together before anything could be said. Sparks ignited and Brigid felt herself slide back against the power of Nikoleta's offensive strike.

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 8th, 2008, 09:19:40 AM
:: Brigid danced to the side, knowing she couldn't go toe to toe. She moved in a circle, forcing Nikoleta to re-postion inorder to press her attack ::

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 09:24:11 AM
The Hanzo was an elegant weapon. Fast and swift. Close quarter combat would be unwise. She needed some distance to utilize her broadsword properly. Forced to reposition, Nikoleta stepped back gracefully and continued the attack without missing a beat.

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 8th, 2008, 09:38:31 AM
:: More sparks flew, and Nikoleta kept coming. Brigid changed tactics and forced a weapon bind ::

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 09:42:56 AM
Nikoleta was far stronger then her frame suggested. The bind worked, but she pulled the locked weapons forward and off to the side, avoiding any contact with the blades.

A loud crack against flesh was heard and Brigid's face stung with the force of her mentor's hand across her cheek.

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 8th, 2008, 09:49:47 AM
:: Brigid staggered backwards, astonished that she'd been beaten to the punch. She retaliated by spitting in Nikoleta's face. There was a beat of silence as she waited in a defensive stance ::

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 09:55:01 AM
The hand that had struck Brigid wiped away the saliva off her cheek. She stared down at it in shock with the lack of respect.

Nikoleta chest heaved in great sorrow. That act of indignation hurt far worse then any death she had suffered and it showed. Her nose twitched, a sign that Nikoleta's anger was starting to go unchecked,

Now the blows increased in strength every time the fell. Brigid was scared and would leave an opening. She just had to continue and press the advantage.

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 8th, 2008, 10:02:26 AM
:: Brigid hated being bullied, and with a surge of adrenalin, she crashed forward offensivley. She forced her Mentor on defense, or risk getting sliced to ribbons ::

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 10:09:54 AM
It was only a matter of time before Brigid's survival instinct kicked in. She was still scared, but her anger at the situation was winning. Nikoleta's own anger made her reflexes not as sharp and cried out in pain when the Hanzo cut her right side, just above the hip. It wasn't deep, but she could feel the shirt she was wearing beginning to soak up blood.

She had to go on the defense, but her mind was now centered on the fight. While parrying and dodging Brigid's offense, she focused on storing her emotions away. In some duels, Nikoleta didn't even know the name of the Immortal she had beheaded. Brigid would become one of the nameless and meet the same fate as they, otherwise, she would loose her concentration again. Brigid noticed the shift in her Mentor's eyes.

Renewed with purpose, Nikoleta's blade crossed against the other Immortal's and bound the weapons tightly. Breaking the lock and regaining the offense, Nikoleta stabbed forward with her broadsword to return her injury in kind.

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 8th, 2008, 10:14:09 AM
:: Brigid cried out and rolled into Niki, knocking her off balance as they fell over the edge of the rooftop onto a lower one ::

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 10:18:24 AM
The wind was knocked out of them both when they hit solid roof. They were fortunate enough to land inches away from the skylight. Nikoleta coughed to regain her breath and kicked Brigid off of her.

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 8th, 2008, 10:26:22 AM
:: Brigid turned the fight into a wrestling match, pouncing on Nikoleta before she could reach her sword again. She growled, clawing, biting and punching ::

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 10:31:26 AM
She couldn't avoid the fury of the Immortal's attack. It was reckless and with no purprose, so Nikoleta's arm was bitten and clawed at. She was punched in the face and kneed in the gut, but her composure remained.

Fighting madly still, Nikoleta was able to grab her flailing arms and cross them together. Now that she was pinned, the older Immortal saw the head butt coming. She allowed it and let go at the right time so the girl got elbowed right in the nose.

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 8th, 2008, 10:34:27 AM
:: Brigid's vision went red as Nikoleta broke her nose, and she rolled away holding her face ::

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 10:40:27 AM
Nikoleta rolled the opposite way and grabbed onto the nearest sword that she could a hold of. The hilt was familiar but not the preferred her hand was accustomed too. The Hanzo was just as sharp, if not more so, then her broadsword. It mattered not what blade took the girl's head, it just needed to be done now before the other Immortal regrouped.

The middle of the blade rested underneath the girl's chin. Nikoleta was the victor and by the rules of the Game, Brigid's head was hers to claim!

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 8th, 2008, 10:52:39 AM
:: Brigid felt the blade at her neck as she tried to scramble up on her hands and knees. She gave a sob of defeat as she looked up through teary vision ::

"DO IT!!!" she cried in anguish.

"DO IT!!!!!!!!!"

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 11:18:08 AM
Cold eyes stared down at the loser, but Nikoleta only forced the girl to raise her head up further with a nudge of the blade.

"DO IT!!!" Brigid screamed and it made the older woman's mind race back to a time when she heard her student scream like that. It was so many centuries ago ...

She was sleeping soundly in the next room across from Brigid's. Her newest student had only been training for three days and had taken to her broadsword quite well. Brigid had chosen a weapon similar to Nikoleta's, but it was not quite as heavy or long. The girl didn't have the strength to wield a hand and half broadsword. At least not yet.

Nikoleta was awoken with a piercing scream that made her jolt upright in bed. It was Brigid. The nightmares were worse then the previous nights. She quickly robed and went to Brigid's side, taking her into her arms. Brigid was startled momentarily but quickly found comfort within her Mentor's arms. She sobbed violently as Nikoleta rocked her gently. Eventually, Brigid had cried herself to sleep again and without wanting to risk waking her, Nikoleta had laid down with her on the bed.

That night, Brigid slept all the way through with no nightmares.

The next day, Nikoleta promised to protect Brigid for as long as she lived and the two of them were inseparable until Brigid took her first head 50 years later...

"DO IT!!!!!!!"

She was brought back to reality and tightened her grip on the Hanzo sword. The rules of the Game must be followed. Brigid's heads was hers to claim and it was for the greater good that she die. All her chances had been squandered and she never learned from her past mistakes. No matter how much she still loved Brigid, it was for the best...

"There can only be one," she said, her voice breaking, which was out of character. Normally when she said that, there was conviction in her voice, showing the loser who was their superior. Today it was with resignation and sadness.

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 8th, 2008, 11:25:32 AM
:: Brigid closed her eyes, a tear rolling down her cheek. Her final thought was of Nara before the tear hit the ground ::

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 11:31:16 AM
Nikoleta couldn't begin to guess what was going on in Brigid's head as she raised the Hanzo sword above her own. She saw the tear right as she brought the blade down ...

... but that wasn't what stayed her hand. The Hanzo stopped short of cleaving off its owners head. Nikoleta was on the verge of loosing it. Tears were rolling down her cheeks no matter how hard she fought against it. "I can't do it ..."

She tossed the blade away, her hands shaking. This was the first time she didn't follow through when she won a duel. Everyone always fell before her!

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 8th, 2008, 11:35:35 AM
:: Brigid crumbled, burying her face in the dirt as she gave a long wail ::

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 11:39:57 AM
Hearing Brigid cry finally broke the last of Nikoleta's defenses. "Brigid!"

She went to her knees sobbing and grabbed Brigid within her arms. "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!!!"

Brigid Cassidy
Jan 8th, 2008, 11:45:16 AM
:: Brigid passed out, overwhelmed from fright and grief, and lay unconcious in her Mother's arms ::

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 11:52:03 AM
She sniffed back tears and allowed herself a moment's peace with her daughter, stroking her hair softly and wiping away tears of grief like centuries long past. Nikoleta would relish this moment for all eternity and wished she could remain like this, but the sounds of battle would have alerted the authorities.

The ancient Greek sheathed both weapons and strapped them to her back before lifting Brigid into her arms. Nikoleta would take her back to her penthouse to rest and heal and maybe Brigid could find it in her heart to forgive her ...