PDA

View Full Version : Changing Hands

Trevor Smokey
Jan 4th, 2008, 01:30:05 PM
The clock ticked quietly in the corner as Trevor unpacked yet again. Upon recommendation, he'd moved from the grounds into the church itself, and now resided in one of the back rooms on the ground floor.

Boxes were scattered around, mostly unpacked. Photo albums, books and CDs were lined up on the shelves, clothes away and tidy. Pulling his pistol and falcata from the box, he hid them away in a drawer, before casting a glance at the clock. 9:45 pm, and the Buzz started to grow in his head.

Nikoleta
Jan 4th, 2008, 03:07:49 PM
Nikoleta politely knocked upon the chamber door and waited for Trevor to answer. This was after a nice conversation with Father Duncan. They had shared some egg nog while catching up. Most of the talk centered on Brigid.

Trevor Smokey
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:08:36 AM
The heavy door opened, and the Brit looked upon Nikki as she came into view.

"Right on time. Please, come in" he said, standing back and holding the door to allow her passage into the room. "It's a lot warmer in here than I expected. Nicer then the house, if not as big" he commented.

Nikoleta
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:27:36 PM
"That house was erected the same year that the church was. It needs the insulation redone," she said, taking off her jacket. Trevor noticed the rather large and long scabbard strapped to Nikoleta's back. The sword she was carrying was just over three feet long, just over half the length of her own body.

"I brought a present," she hefted a bottle of wine with a large pleasant smile. "It's Mas de Carol," her Spanish accent was impeccable, "Bottled in 1757, it's a fabulous white wine that is only made with the finest grapes in Penedes."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:19:28 AM
Trevor's eyes were drawn from the blade to the bottle as Nikki produced it.

"Nice" he grinned. "I'll get some glasses" he continued as he disappeared into the kitchen.

Re-emerging with two wine glasses and a corkscrew, he set them down on the table and pulled out a seat.

"What's the occasion?"

Nikoleta
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:19:22 PM
"No occasion really, except an early Christmas present." She took off the scabbard and leaned her weapon against the wall nearest the table. Nikoleta uncorked the wine and inhaled sharply, sighing in approval before she poured the wine. "I didn't think the almonds were enough."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 8th, 2008, 11:42:41 AM
"You really shouldn't have" Trevor replied, chinking his glass with Nikki's. "To immortality" he said, lifting the glass a little before taking a drag of the wine, savouring the aged liquid before swallowing.

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 11:45:21 AM
"Aye. To Immortality and may your new found longevity allow you to see many years to come." She sipped the wine and closed her eyes, savoring the taste. It was simply divine and aged to perfection.

Trevor Smokey
Jan 8th, 2008, 11:55:59 AM
Trevor let out a contented sigh as he put the glass down on the table, licking his lips and pulling his chair closer in.

"What's your view on things then? How do you like to teach?" he asked.

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 12:16:16 PM
"I teach you how to survive. How to defend yourself when another Immortal comes to claim your head." She set the glass down and ran a finger along the top absently. "I do not believe in power. I could easily campaign and take the lives of many Immortals, but I don't. What I believe in is balance. If I find someone of our kind causing unspeakable acts because they feel they can, I hunt them down and kill them. It matters not to me if they make our kind or mortals suffer."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 8th, 2008, 12:21:10 PM
Trevor raised an eyebrow curiously. It was strange. His newly found mentor lived by the same morals he has held so highly when first joining the force. A vigilante just wanting to make a difference.

"That why you waited around for me? That's the same kind of thinking you'd expect from a cop-turned-immortal, I suppose?" he enquired.

Nikoleta
Jan 8th, 2008, 12:25:32 PM
"Yes," she admitted. "I could have left Chicago knowing that Fiona would find you eventually, but I thought our similar goals would make for a good student teacher relationship."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 8th, 2008, 12:33:45 PM
"I like it" Trevor said, lifting the glass to his mouth and taking another sip. "I think it'll work well."

He paused for a moment.

"What was Brigid like, as a student?" he asked bluntly.

Nikoleta
Jan 9th, 2008, 08:54:31 AM
Nikoleta smiled at his bluntness at first, but then it turned into fondness in remembrance. "She was not very timid or shy in her mortal life. Brigid liked to show off that she could be as strong and fast as the boys, which was almost a sin to do back in the 900's. After she died, she was quite determined to learn everything she could about sword play. Not just because of the Game, but to learn how to defend herself."

She took another few sips of wine before continuing, "And she was a natural."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:24:41 AM
"I'll bet she was a right handful" the young immortal commented. "Reckon you never thought things would turn out like this though."

Trevor leant back in his chair, running his hands down the sides of his face as he sighed.

"You had many pupils, over the years?"

Nikoleta
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:32:20 AM
"No." Her eyes twinkled and shined with an ageless quality. "For as long as I have lived, I've only trained seven young Immortals. You would be my eighth."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:48:13 AM
"Blimey" Trevor replied, slightly taken aback. "Less than I expected. Not that I'm much of an expert on the matter" he mused, lifting the glass and finishing the contents. "Quality is what's impoartant though, I imagine. Not quantity."

Nikoleta
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:02:53 AM
"Perhaps, but we honestly don't come across that many people to train. The world is large and most often, when an Immortal comes knocking, it's my head they wanted." She finished her glass of wine and sighed contently. "But it wasn't always like that. Before the Gathering started, things were peaceful. Most of us avoided conflict and were happy to just enjoy our longevity."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:04:03 AM
"Then why the change?" Trevor asked. "What started the Game?"

Nikoleta
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:16:01 AM
"It was told to me that when we felt a Quickening without taking a head, the time of the Gathering would begin. An Immortal by the name of Connor killed the Kurgan back in 1985. That was when I felt it. That was when I saw it. The skies lit up like the Northern Lights. It was breathtaking. So beautiful..." Her voice had turned distant and spoke in such wonder and awe.

"That was when the Gathering started."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:27:31 AM
"Why do they all fight? I get the quickening thing, but...it doesn't seem to be logical. Why go about killing off your own kind?" Trevor asked, his curiousity having got the better of him.

Nikoleta
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:44:20 AM
"Because we follow the rules of the Game. In the end, there can be only one."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:48:34 AM
For the first time, Trevor woke up to the harsh reality that he was going to be facing in the years to come. Eventually, at least one of the two of them sat at that table would be killed, and probably both of them. He sighed again, pushing his chair back and moving over to the stack of drawers across the room.

Pulling one open, he gripped the scabbard of his falcata, taking the weapon from its hiding place and shutting the drawer once more, before turning back to Nikki.

"I feel like a bit of exercise. You up for it?"

Nikoleta
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:56:04 AM
Trevor's jovial expression turned serious. He was starting to understand that his Immortality came with a heavy price. If Brigid were here, she would scold the girl thoroughly for doing a terrible job of explaining things to him.

"Of course." She grabbed her weapon. "I take it you had something specific in mind?"

Trevor Smokey
Jan 9th, 2008, 11:03:16 AM
"Just a bit of practise with this really. I've been running for the last week or so, but I haven't touched the old falcata" Trevor said, gesturing with the weapon. "Where's a good place to go do you think?"

Nikoleta
Jan 9th, 2008, 11:09:33 AM
"Hmm, well I honestly don't think the priests would appreciate us practicing in around the nave," she grinned. "They have a gymnasium for the Sunday school children. We can practice there."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 9th, 2008, 11:14:11 AM
"Darn it" Trevor cried with mocked annoyance. "I was looking forward to fighting through the pews."

The Brit disappeared into his room for a minute or so, and appeared again dressed in a grey tee and loose, black flannel trousers, holding a towel in one hand and falcata in the other.

He headed for the door, pulling it open and gesturing for Nikki to lead the way.

"After you."

Nikoleta
Jan 9th, 2008, 11:20:04 AM
"Thank you," she replied, approving of the good manners her new student possessed. "Also, keep your weapon covered in respect. Weapons in the house of the Lord are frowned upon, but we are given special privileges as long as we are mindful of our surroundings."

Her weapon was hidden underneath her trench cloak.

Trevor Smokey
Jan 9th, 2008, 11:28:00 AM
"Oh, yeah 'course" Trevor replied, draping his towel over the weapon to conceal it.

They walked for a few minutes as Nikki lead him to the gym. It was spacious enough, and Trevor was suprised he hadn't come across it yet. He'd be sure to come back in the future to clean up the place when it was needed.

Putting his things down, he started to stretch off. He always hated it. His bulky mass was well suited for cirumstances requiring strength and stamina, and he was even pretty nimble on his feet thanks to his pursuit of boxing. But anything in the least gymnastic and he'd had it. Still, the stretches were necessary.

Nikoleta
Jan 9th, 2008, 11:34:52 AM
The gym was no bigger then a small basketball court you'd find in a High School. Just big enough for children to have fun on Sundays and for the Church to use for socials.

Nikoleta slipped off her coat and stretched as well. "Have you much practice with your weapon?"

Trevor Smokey
Jan 10th, 2008, 02:23:47 PM
"A little" Trevor replied honestly. "I had a few hours practice with Brigid, but that's all" he said, moving over to it and pulling the falcata from its sheath.

Nikoleta
Jan 10th, 2008, 03:43:10 PM
She pulled on black gloves that fit snuggly over her hands. They provided the Immortal with a better grip.

"Show me." She motioned at the ample space the gym provided.

Trevor Smokey
Jan 12th, 2008, 08:21:40 AM
Trevor nodded, gripping the falcata firmly in his left hand. With a grunt, the Brit advanced on an invisible foe with a flowing series of simple, but strong slices and thrusts, being careful not to overextent his reach and leave himself vulnerable to the ghost he was facing.

Nikoleta
Jan 12th, 2008, 08:24:40 AM
She watched Trevor intently and circled around the young Immortal. He wasn't half bad. A bit sloppy, but Trevor was utilizing the right moves that the falcata was created for. "Have you any experience with swords prior?"

Trevor Smokey
Jan 12th, 2008, 08:30:57 AM
Trevor shook his head.

"Police batons and guns. They're the only weapons I've had training with before now." He scratched his head. "I had a toy lightsaber when I was little, if that counts?" he grinned.

Nikoleta
Jan 12th, 2008, 08:36:35 AM
She smiled and chuckled, "No, but that's cute."

Nikoleta pulled out her broadsword and flipped the hilt in her hand so the blade pointed vertical. "Now, come at me with what you have learned so far."

To see his weaknesses, she needed to fight him.

Trevor Smokey
Jan 12th, 2008, 08:48:47 AM
Trevor took a deep breath, positioning himself in front of Nikki. Once prepared, he started to move towards her, initiating an attack with several arching, horizontal swipes at stomach level with considerable force behind them.

Nikoleta
Jan 12th, 2008, 09:09:21 AM
Not much effort was needed to parry Trevor's attacks. But there was force behind them. The ex-cop was in good shape, and her broadsword sang as each blow was blocked.

"Good." She commented. "Very good. Your weapon is made for power. You have some force behind it, but you're going to have do some serious strength training to utilize that ability better."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 12th, 2008, 09:26:14 AM
"Aye" Trevor replied. "God knows I'm not gonna be the prettiest fighter."

Stepping back, he breathed again, before going on the offensive again, advancing towards his mentor with a pacey flurry of swings, pushing forwards with determination.

Nikoleta
Jan 12th, 2008, 10:04:32 AM
Thwak

"Pretty doesn't matter."

Thwak

"What matters is living."

Twang

"To grow stronger."

She snapped her broadsword upwards against the falcata, it stung horribly as if Trevor's funny bone had gotten hit. "To survive another day."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 12th, 2008, 10:17:32 AM
Trevor veered off to one side, hopping around, clutching his arm and whining. His falcata clanged on the ground, resonating out across the gym.

"Harr...harrr...bloody arm..."

Shaking it off, he collected his blade again.

The two continued to practice for an hour or so, Trevor growing in confidence each time they sparred.

Eventually, he stopped to rest, taking up his towel and drying the sweat from his brow.

"This is a lot harder than it looks in the movies."

Nikoleta
Jan 12th, 2008, 10:23:00 AM
"Society has gone to hell I tell you." Nikoleta took a healthy swig of water to refresh her body. "Too much television and movies have distorted the perceptions of reality for this generation.

Trevor Smokey
Jan 12th, 2008, 10:28:34 AM
"Ohhh no, no you don't!" Trevor turned back towards her, pointing his finger at her accusingly. "Just 'cause your old doesn't mean you get to be senile missy! None of that 'back in the day' rubbish!" he boomed, wedging his foot under the falcata, kicking it up into his hand and pointing it towards his mentor.

Nikoleta
Jan 12th, 2008, 10:39:30 AM
"Yes I'm old. But I'm not senile." Her smile was wry, "My facilities are quite in order thank you."

She paused to pick up her sword and scolded Trevor. "Though I'm surprised you didn't cut off your hand with that maneuver. Just don't do that during a real fight. Flashy will get you killed."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 13th, 2008, 10:21:34 AM
"I wouldn't dream of it" Trevor winked. "En guard!" he bellowed, tossing his towel behind him and bounding towards Nikki with succession of swipes, alternating between high and low.

Nikoleta
Jan 13th, 2008, 01:06:37 PM
Without much effort, Nikoleta stopped Trevor's attacks and easily disarmed him. "Again."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 13th, 2008, 01:14:01 PM
Trevor retreated to collect his weapon, and wasted no time in circling around to make another attack. After te time they had spent, his footwork was starting to get sloppy and his swings more lazy, lacking in strength.

Nikoleta
Jan 13th, 2008, 01:30:44 PM
She retreated back quickly, several steps taken back to gain distance and held up her hand. "Enough. You're tired. You cannot learn anymore today."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 13th, 2008, 01:38:38 PM
"Oh good" Trevor sighed, tipping himself backwards and falling on his backside. Setting the falcata aside, he leant back on his elbows and breathed deeply, allowing his heart some time to settle down. His recently mopped forehead was wet wit sweat once again, his once grey t-shirt darkened with moisture.

"I think..." he said, cimbing to his feet, before lifting his arm to sniff his armpit. "Cor, blimey!" he laughed with a scrunched face. "Yeah, I think I'll go get a shower."

Nikoleta
Jan 13th, 2008, 03:21:16 PM
Nikoleta took a waif of the air and her nose cringed in regret. "Quite. I'll meet you back in your chambers when you're through."

She covered his sweaty face with a towel and retreated to take a shower of her own. It was a workout, but her body was not tainted with such intense odor as Trevor's.

Trevor Smokey
Jan 14th, 2008, 06:24:15 AM
It was half an hour before Trevor emerged from his bedroom, fresh, dry, and dressed in jeans and a red shirt with rolled sleeves, with a lit cigarette hanging loosely between his lips.

Collapsing in his armchair, he flicked a glance at the clock, before settling down and pulling out a photo album from the shelf beside him.

Nikoleta
Jan 14th, 2008, 06:50:55 PM
Nikoleta returned to knock upon Trevor's chamber door refreshed, clean, and dried from a relaxing hot shower. She allowed herself entrance after hearing a grunt from her student, saying it was okay.

He was looking through some book, an album of some kind by the cover. "Looking at memories that seem almost forever ago?"

Trevor Smokey
Jan 15th, 2008, 09:20:12 AM
"You could say that" Trevor replied, somewhat half-heartedly, his gaze resting on a picture of himself and a dark haired woman with pale skin and bright blue eyes on a pebble beach.

"You ever been in love?" he asked quite suddenly, his eyes still fixed on the photo.

Nikoleta
Jan 15th, 2008, 05:07:46 PM
A brief smile flickered against her cheeks. Trevor had no idea how complicated that answer was. "The short answer is yes. Several times in fact."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 19th, 2008, 04:14:56 PM
"Other Immortals?" his line of questioning continued, shutting up the album and sliding it back onto the shelf.

Nikoleta
Jan 19th, 2008, 04:24:26 PM
"No," she shook her head rather quickly at that and spoke sadly, "My heart has never found an Immortal to love."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 24th, 2008, 08:21:33 AM
"It must be hard" Trevor replied. "Having to watch people you love grow old. I suppose it never gets easier either, does it?"

Nikoleta
Jan 24th, 2008, 03:20:06 PM
"No," she admitted, "It never does, but my love for them has never died. Everyone that I have ever shared part of my life with has their own special place in my heart. But it's also a blessing. They will forever be remembered through me. Their sorrows, their joys, everything that made them special becomes Immortal like me."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 25th, 2008, 04:37:36 AM
"That's one way of looking at things I suppose" Trevor said, exhaling a plume of smoke.

Pushing himself up from the chair, he moved across the room and poured two more glasses of wine.

"Drink?"

Nikoleta
Jan 26th, 2008, 01:46:12 PM
"Yes, thank you." She took the offered glass and studied her student over its rim. "What is your way of thinking about it?"

Trevor Smokey
Jan 28th, 2008, 07:31:12 AM
"I don't think I'd have the strength to deal with it like that" Trevor said, taking a sip of wine, cigarette hanging loosely in his left hand. "It's a tough one. It's not like falling for another immortal is easy either. There's the Game to think of. But mortas are just going to die anyway, and..."

He paused for a moment in thought.

"Things look pretty lonely if you think of it like that" he frowned.

Nikoleta
Jan 28th, 2008, 05:25:16 PM
"Yes," she nodded and mirrored his frown. "It is up to you what you wish to do with your Immortality. I can teach you how to live and offer words of advice, but only you can decide what your life will be with the years given to you."

Trevor Smokey
Feb 1st, 2008, 02:22:27 PM
"I'll work something out. Not like I'm hard pressed on time to think."

Trevor took another drag of his cigarette.

"What was it like for you? After your first death?"

Nikoleta
Feb 2nd, 2008, 10:45:14 AM
"It was quick, thankfully." Her eyes grew distant and the youthful exterior became hardened. Green orbs danced agelessly as she recalled her first death. "The year was 431 B.C. and the Peloponnesian War had resurfaced. The Athenian armies were at war with Sparta once more. A war of trade now. Sparta had grown jealous of Athen's good fortunes.

My city was caught in the middle and while I was helping to evacuate, I received a javelin through the heart. I died instantly."

Nikoleta felt a pang in her heart, remembering a time that was far simpler and brought her much joy. The weight of so many years weren't pressing against her heart so painfully.

"When I awoke, I was confused and scared, worried if my friends and family had escaped safely but an Immortal by the name of Methos was there to guide me as soon as our eyes met. I remember that feeling all too well, which is why I try to be there when an Immortal wakes up for the first time."

Trevor Smokey
Feb 7th, 2008, 06:41:20 AM
"Blimey."

Trevor wasn't sure how to reply. Instead, he drained his glass, replacing it on the table and stubbing out his cigarette. He let out an involuntary yawn, moving across the room and slumping in a chair.

"I'll sleep well tonight."

Nikoleta
Feb 7th, 2008, 09:12:01 AM
"Yes, you're going to need your rest." She finished her glass and retrieved her sword and coat. "Tomorrow we begin again."

Trevor Smokey
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:16:32 AM
Trevor pushed himself up from his seat, leading Nikki to the door and pulling it open for her.

"Whenyou say tomorrow...how early, do you think?" he asked, praying silently in his mind.

Nikoleta
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:44:31 AM
"Hmm," she looked at her watch. "It's late. Let's say noon."

Trevor seemed relieved. "Goodnight."

And she left.