PDA

View Full Version : Frustration Through Negotiation

Victer Dejan
Jan 1st, 2008, 02:40:58 PM
Fate seemingly conspired to keep Victer and Adraudia from spending any time together that was not work related. Victer found it frustrating. He wanted to discuss something other than trade for longer than five minutes and do more than a quick kiss in private before the Head of State was called to do something again that required her attention. Or he was being dragged about Iziz, answering some detailed question about Onderon's economic potential, or current trade goods. For the sake of appearances, Victer kept his hands to himself, and the Queen did too. Victer fully understood why the Hapan delegation was here, but it didn't make it any less annoying.

Especially the night two weeks ago, when both had somehow cleared their schedule for two hours before bed. They were in the process of undressing each other when a local drunk had gotten out of hand with one of the imported, Hapan drunks at a local establishment. The Queen, of course, was required as everyone involved had been arrested, and more than one person had chosen to resist arrest. The Chief of Police was currently getting the third degree from the head of the Hapan delegation. Victer had just enough warning to slip under Adruadia's bed, unnoticed.

Victer was currently bouncing his head against his desk. The Hapans simply refused to accept anything other than their own dedicated freight terminal for a five-year lease at a criminal price, regardless of the outcome of the trade agreement. Even at double the price, it was still cheap, but in the realm of reasonable. The trade boost simply wouldn't offset the cost to the Port, especially when the Hapans were also screwing them on the terminal upkeep costs.

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 1st, 2008, 03:20:43 PM
The Queen wasn't sure if she should be ecstatic or disappointed in the interest that the Hapans had shown towards Onderon. Thanks to the Prime Minister and Princess, Onderon was now on tentative good terms with the Hapan Consortium. Generally, the extended hand being offered had been an utter nightmare. They were arrogant and conceded, and poor Victer had to deal with cut throat negotiations and refusals to budge a credit on costs.

They only did this because they knew Onderon needed them. If the small planet wanted to step out into the larger galaxy, it would need friends. Friends that were neutral in dealing with the Empire and Rebellion. That fight was not theirs, nor Hapes. That had that in common, as well as strong female leadership. But that was all. Everything else would have to be earned in their eyes.

After another excruciating long communication with the Queen Mother, speaking of the generosity that Hapes has extended (complete rubbish considering nothing has happened yet), Adraudia had decided to check up on Victer. Perhaps a friendly face would cheer him up, or cause him to further decline into depression because she had little time for him throughout the day. Her plans for Onderon finally seeing fruition needed her attention always first.

A gentle rap upon the Captain's door to be polite, and Adraudia entered her Captain's office.

Victer Dejan
Jan 1st, 2008, 03:50:47 PM
Victer had paused his steady thump of forehead upon desk to try and determine if someone had, in fact, knocked against his door instead of barged in. He lifted his head slightly from the desk to determine who it was. He doubted it was anyone in the Port Authority, the Iziz Flight Guild, or the Hapan delegation: none of them would have knocked. It was probably Rish, his secretary (a suggestion by the Queen. Victer never had a real assistant before.) Rish was a prim, smallish woman with large brown eyes and a slightly mousy face, but not unattractive. She was not that familiar with the shipping business, but she was exceedingly sharp, and more importantly, knew how people worked. Victer had given her a 15% raise a month after hiring her.

He was exhausted, and flopped back into his comfortable office chair, eyes closed. It looked as if he had fallen from a great height and expired. His head was back, and his limbs hung limp next to the chair's arms.

“Rish, please tell me it's good news.” He said, eyes closed. He knew it was wrong the instant the words left his mouth.

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 1st, 2008, 03:56:05 PM
The Queen raised an amused brow to Victer's state. Although relaxed in his chair, the Captain's face was tensed in frustration. There was also a slight reddened area on his forehead to where he had been banging his head.

She couldn't have arrived at a better time and smiled, "I'm not sure. Is there anything that I should be worried about that would make you think bad news would arrive?"

It was fun to chide him.

Victer Dejan
Jan 1st, 2008, 04:15:40 PM
The door had closed behind the Queen.

Victer sighed, a mix of relief and tiredness. She sat on the edge of his desk, with a look of amusement on her face.

"Well Captain?" She still called him that, despite being one of her advisors. Victer caressed her cheek and kissed her before collapsing back into the chair.

"No. Yes. Well, it's the same story. The Hapans refuse to budge, and even with an unrealistically optimistic projection of trade, the Port Authority would run through it's budget for the next three years in a year and a half, not to mention how much money the Flight Guild would loose by deferrning fees on the largest terminal. They're as bad as the Corellians." Adraudia was holding back a giggle. He knew that look.

"No, they're worse. The Corellians understand that if you run someone completely out of money you can't operate with them anymore." Adraudia nodded, sympathising with his plight. Victer had worked out deals with the Corellian Spacer's Guild in several occasions. They were stubborn as hell, but eventually everyone left from the table without ill intent. Victer made a small but steady trickle from those deals, and the guild made a lot more. It was, unfortunately, the price of business.

"Even if you were to authorize using the Treasury, I wouldn't go with it. Not until they bend at least a little." Victer said, holding his fingers a few milimeters apart.

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 1st, 2008, 10:14:59 PM
"No," she responded sharply. "I will not lay down and have the Queen Mother walk all over me and Onderon. Our history and resolve is just as strong, if not stronger, then hers. She'll soon realize that."

The Queen's features softened, and she reached out to hold Victer's hand. "I'm sorry that you have to deal with this nonsense. I know it's not why you originally signed on. However, anything you can do to find a compromise must be done, otherwise I'll have a strike on my hands."

With the spaceports closed, Onderon would be crippled. Iziz City survived on trade and without a steady stream of supplies coming in, the Palace stores would only be able to take care of its people for a several months. The Royal hangar bay was privately ran by the Palace staff, but it could not support the thirty or so ships daily to keep commerce alive.

Victer Dejan
Jan 1st, 2008, 10:32:39 PM
"I don't think it would come to that. The Port Director and Board won't sign on the lease until it's something resembling sane." Victer smiled a little. Adraudia looked relieved.

"The problem is that without access to some terminal space..."

"The talks will stall and be for naught." The Queen finished for him.

"If they're this stubborn all the time I'm not sure it would be worth it." Victer said with bitter honesty, the frustration finally coming through.

But we need a Navy. Adruadia did not say it aloud, as there was no need. Victer was well aware of the lack of space borne forces.

"I know, that's what makes it so infuriating. I don't think their third-line protection is worth lighting a fire with the..." He stopped. Adraudia was giving him an intense look, one that she only gave to something that required her total concentration.

Victer raised an eyebrow.

"What is it?"

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 1st, 2008, 10:56:29 PM
It wasn't that Victer had finished her sentence, or even read the look on her face to know what she was thinking.

Victer continued to have a conversation with her, though no words had left her mouth, responding to a need that was only said to herself mentally. Which meant only one explanation.

He had read her mind.

Adraudia's head started to spin before regaining her focus, studying the Captain intently. If he were a malicious sort, she would have sensed that long ago. Her ability to separate falsehoods and truths made her an excellent ruler, and Victer had no inkling of what was done. His confusion was sincere. Which meant he had no idea he was Force sensitive.

How could this have slipped by her?

"What is it?"

Her eyes narrowed. How to answer this question? Presumably, a question that needed to be ask was if she trusted him. The Queen already turned him into an advisor and trade has increased steadily on Onderon. Her people were prospering. She also gave him her heart. Something she had never done before. That counted for a great deal.

She smiled, "You are a man with many layers, Captain." I love you...

Victer Dejan
Jan 1st, 2008, 11:03:52 PM
"Well yes, thank you." Victer responded. I love you.

Victer blinked, uncertain he had just heard what he thought he heard.

"Wait. Did you just say what I thought you said?" He asked, and looked up into her smiling brown eyes.

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 1st, 2008, 11:06:37 PM
"Well," she chuckled and stroked his cheek softly, "You didn't exactly hear me say that."

Victer looked puzzled.

"My dear Captain," she caught his eyes and focused her thoughts. You heard me think that.

Victer Dejan
Jan 1st, 2008, 11:13:26 PM
"Hahaha." Victer laughed a nervously.
"I think I need more sleep. I heard you say that you were thinking that you loved me and I heard you think it. Then you did it and your lips didn't move, and your throat didn't move, either." Adraudia looked amused. Victer took her hand and put the other of his hands over his forehead.

"I always knew that there were a lot of things you weren't telling me. I get the feeling that this has something to do with whatever that is."

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 1st, 2008, 11:25:25 PM
"Partially," she agreed, allowing some affirmation to what he guessed. Adraudia couldn't confirm everything, and she kept her thoughts guarded now. Nothing regarding her Master could be allowed to slip. "But secrecy is imperative. However, you are like me it seems, yet you didn't know."

Victer Dejan
Jan 1st, 2008, 11:36:49 PM
He sighed and gave her hand a squeeze. She did not recoil at all, which was a relief.
"I think I understand. It explains so much."
Victer stared at the slice of empty desk next to Adraudia.

"So what does that make us?" He asked.

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 2nd, 2008, 09:23:25 AM
Adraudia pursed her lips, mulling the question over. "It depends if you can keep this between us and continue to work to make Onderon prosper."

Victer Dejan
Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:38:29 PM
"I don't think that will be a problem." Victer got very quiet for a minute. He had been fed more than one State secret since he had joined Onderon's service.

"I saw someone burned alive during my tour because they supposedly could read minds. It was a backwater, but..." He shrugged. "People don't know how to handle that degree of exception."

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 2nd, 2008, 08:31:26 PM
"My lineage has strong roots in the Force," she said, walking around the side of the desk to sit closer to Victer, "It's just been ... dormant for a long, long time. My people would understand given time, but we don't want attention from the Empire."

Victer Dejan
Jan 2nd, 2008, 08:51:19 PM
"No. We don't." Victer agreed. The Force. It was what the Jedi used, but that didn't mean very much to him.

He raised an eyebrow after breath of silence before standing up. He smiled a little and kissed Adraudia, tenderly at first, and then with more urgency.

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 2nd, 2008, 09:00:12 PM
Adraudia returned the kiss in kind, but hand to come up for breath sooner then to Victer's liking.

"Someone has missed me," she cooed, stroking his hair gently.

Victer Dejan
Jan 2nd, 2008, 09:16:52 PM
"Yes." He nuzzled her neck, giving her a soft kiss. Victer took a step back and studied the woman before him.

"I love you too."

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:33:35 PM
She slid into his lap and laced her arms around Victer's neck with an impish grin. "I know."

Victer Dejan
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:10:24 PM
Victer smiled and laughed.
"You are going to get me into trouble one day." Adraudia put one hand on her hip, her fingers over her mouth, and feigned innocence.

"Oh?" She asked.

Rish rapped on the door.

"Come in." Rish looked excited, which was unusual.

"The Hapans have revised their proposal, and want to present it to you as soon as..." Rish paused, realizing who was seated on Victer's desk.

"My liege." She bowed.

"Go on, please." The Queen said.

"The Hapans have revised their proposal. They wish to present it to Advisor Dejan and your Highness." Rish said, recovering her composure completely. Victer raised an eyebrow.

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:43:03 AM
"To me?" She asked curiously. This was unexpected.

"Yes you Majesty. You were requested and the Hapans do not wish to proceed any further without you," explained Rish.

"Then it is granted. Arrange a time for myself and Dejan to meet with their delagation."

"As her Majesty commands." Rish bowed and left Victer's office.

Adraudia smiled over at the Captain with a twinkle in her eye, "I guess good news was brought in my wake afterall."

Victer Dejan
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:09:29 PM
"Yes. I think you did." I hope. Although Victer was being on the pessimistic side, it was unlikely the Hapans would change the terms for the worse. The fact that they wanted to speak to Adraudia was interesting, though.

"Rish." Victer pressed the comm button. He knew she was about to inform the Hapans of the meeting time.

"Yes?"

"Have you eaten?"

"Ah. No sir."

"One moment."

'I know you haven't eaten." He took a glance at Adraudia.

"Not yet."

"Rish, contact the Hapans. Let them know we can meet in two hours."

"Well, my Queen, what do you wish to eat."

"Something light."

"The bistro on the corner has excellent soup and sandwiches." Rish suggested.

"Rish, pick up a veggie sandwich and and bean soup and I'll have a roast sandwich and bean soup. Pick up whatever you please for yourself."

"Yes Victer."

"Thank you Rish." Victer turned off the comm, letting Rish take care of her tasks.

"I have no idea how I got by without her."

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:17:39 PM
"Mmmhmm." She feigned hurt. "And she calls you by your first name too ..."

Victer Dejan
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:17:49 PM
Victer smirked slightly, knowing full well she was being dramatic.

"I never thought of you as the jealous type."

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:34:03 PM
She smiled, "Pish. A Queen can have a bit of fun?"

Victer Dejan
Jan 6th, 2008, 11:23:18 PM
"Her Majesty may do anything she pleases." Victer returned the smile.

"I'm just glad we get the chance to eat lunch together. This is the first time I think I've seen you for longer than 10 minutes outside of a meeting since the Hapans got here."

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 7th, 2008, 03:56:15 PM
I know..." The backs of her fingers slid down Victer's tense cheek. "The Hapans have bad timing. Or perhaps it was our hearts."

Victer Dejan
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:48:33 PM
Victer smiled.
"The end result is the same. Once these negotiations are done, I think the Queen should have a day for herself." Victer said, crossing his arms.

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:51:51 PM
"That would have to be put through the rest of cabinet and a vote would have to be tallied before it reaches my ears though," she kidded.

Victer Dejan
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:57:42 PM
"And what lovely ears they are to reach." He grinned.
"Oh! The perils of being the head of state!"

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:13:21 PM
"Ha!" She giggled slightly but it turned into full blown laughter. "If such trivialities were my only concern, life would be much easier for the two of us, no?"

Victer Dejan
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:27:17 PM
Victer was laughing, too. "Knowing us, we'd probably get into some far more serious trouble than a bunch of stubborn Hapans who drink too much sometimes."

A knock on the door. "haha hehumhmn. Ahem. Come in." Under one arm, Rish held lunch.

"Lunch! Come in, Rish. Sit with us." Adraudia said.

Rish, normally a very composed woman, blushed.

"It is an honor."

"Have a seat. I'll get the silverware." Victer put another one of the less bulky chairs in front of his nicely sized desk and left the room.

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:49:58 PM
Adraudia smiled down at Rish, who was trying very hard to not show that she was nervous. Yet she was failing. The silence was becoming silly. Victer needn't be the tie that bound them together.

"Rish?"

She forced her eyes to look up at the Queen. "Yes, your Majesty?"

"Two things. One, I appreciate everything you are doing for Dejan. I realize that the Hapan situation has caused a lot of stress for the two of you."

"Thank you, your Majesty. It is an honor to serve you and Vic... er. Advisor Dejan."

"And for the second thing," her smile was quite charming as the color drained from Rish's face, "Please drop the formality while we all have lunch together hmm?"

Victer Dejan
Jan 9th, 2008, 11:02:59 PM
"See, I told you she was horrible and mean." Victer said, hands holding three plates, spoons, knives, and forks. Rish gasped and turned to face him.

"Advisor Dejan!" Rish was taken aback. She turned around, aghast, until she saw the Queen, stifling a giggle.

"Rish, she's the Queen of Onderon, but she's also a person. Who is having lunch with us, on a casual basis." He said as he doled out the utensils.

Rish turned bright red.

"Oh." She regained some of her composure, and began to serve the food. It gave her something to focus on. This was so different than what she imagined. In a way, Adraudia was so normal.

"And Victer is the most ghastly, ugly, vile man." The Queen countered.

"So uncivilized. I heard he eats with his feet." Rish added, finding her wits again.

"Ah! You wound me."

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 10th, 2008, 04:21:35 PM
She finally had removed herself from her Captain's desk and sat properly in a chair to eat.

Adraudia applauded Rish's dig into Victer and came close to whisper in the aide's ear, "And he smelled worse then a Boma when he first arrived on Onderon. The Cabinet ordered the Royal Guards to take him out back to be hosed down!"

Victer Dejan
Jan 12th, 2008, 12:37:17 PM
Rish laughed aloud. It was nice to have someone else to rib Victer with during some downtime.

It was true, Victer had smelled pretty bad, but that was what happened when you had been unloading boxes of wine.

Victer started on the food while the women chatted between bites. Either the Hapans were going to capitulate or they were going to walk away from the table. Either one was a relief.

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 13th, 2008, 05:43:20 PM
Lunch continued with more jabs at Victer. He took it in stride and fired back. An hour passed in conversation and Rish cleared the office of trash and dishes, allowing the last hour to be had alone for the Queen and Advisor.

Victer Dejan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:57:22 PM
"Like I said, I'm not really sure what I'd do without her. I managed the cooperative well enough, but with Onderon's trade interests..." Victer exhaled dramatically.

"She's a life saver." Victer smiled. He checked his wrist chrono. They had a little under an hour before they needed to get going.

"I strangely have no insight as to what the Hapans are planning."

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:28:51 PM
"And neither do I," she said, her face deep in concentration. Adraudia couldn't even get a glimmer of a sense if the meeting would be going their way for a change. "It's a troublesome thought."

Victer Dejan
Jan 26th, 2008, 01:46:09 PM
"Nothing to do but wait." Victer said, whispering in Adraudia's ear.

"How do you want to pass the time?"

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 27th, 2008, 12:45:15 PM
"Hmm.... " She turned towards him, her lips brushing against his ever so slightly. "You already know."

Victer Dejan
Jan 28th, 2008, 07:55:16 PM
Victer's ears burned hot in Adraudia's hands when a knock came at the door. They had lost track of the time, and Rish was smart enough to wait for an answer. It was easy to hear over the soft, nearly silent moans coming from the Queen.

Victer stood from his knees.

"We shall continue this later." The Queen pressed a finger onto his lips, biting at his ear as she straightened her dress, and then his uniform.

Suddenly, the lusty young woman dissapeared and her regal composure returned.

"Come." She said.

"You have ten minutes until you're scheduled to meet with the Hapan Deligation, your Highness, Captain." She said, nodding in turn to each.

"Thank you Rish." Victer said, grabbing a tissue from a drawer inside his desk and wiping his face down, and then a dab of hand sanitizer.

"My Queen." He said, holding his office door open.

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 29th, 2008, 04:41:57 PM
A minuscule smirk just barely flashed on her lips as the Queen departed, Victer quickly falling in step beside her and Rish behind him. If she heard anything, the good aide was keeping it to herself.

Her nose was busy buried in a datapad to look up, "The Hapan delegation is waiting in East Wing conference room. The usual suspects are present, Advisor."

Now that it was time to be diplomatic, Rish was using Victer's formal title. Appearances must be kept up, especially in front of the Hapens.

Victer Dejan
Jan 29th, 2008, 07:11:58 PM
The Happan Deligation looked impassive.

"Queen Basillie," The Ambassador said, "Advisor Dejan." She added, after a moment's pause."

"Ambassador Sarlal." Victer said, nodding politely at the middle aged woman.

"We come to propose new terms to the agreement." Victer surpressed a grimace. Every time they had done so, it had turned out to be something more outlandish with an insulting concession. One of her aides passed Victer and Adraudia a datapad each. Victer's eyebrows raised, but he never lost his poker face. The Queen, too, had to hide her surprise.

The proposed numbers were within 5% of Victer's final, hold the line figures. He could sell this. They would break even, maybe even make some money after a year.

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 30th, 2008, 09:27:06 AM
Adraudia's heart skipped a beat. These figures were finally within the range that Victer could work with. But what confused the Queen was why the Hapans were being reasonable all of a sudden.

"I believe I can agree to these terms, but with one question." Sarlal nodded and said nothing. She just waited with bemused interest. "I'm quite pleased that Hapes conceded to our terms for the Spaceport, but why? Your government was fiercely contesting it otherwise."

By all rights, she should just smile and be pleasant about it the arrangement, but Adraudia was Queen. She had appearances to keep up and to simply be thankful that the Hapans agreed to her terms would not be enough. She refused to be an unquestioning pet of the Queen Mother's who would wait on her beck and call.

Victer Dejan
Jan 30th, 2008, 08:49:14 PM
Sarlal smiled in a predatory fashion.

"We want nothing to do with a government that cannot protect it's people. We sought your limits, both as negotiatiors and as heads of your respective offices. Despite the possible future gains, we gave you none, so you both held fast and proctected your people. Our proposed terms were impossible, and we were well aware of that. Lofty promises mean nothing if your own people are broken." She said, with conviction.

Victer simply nodded stiffly. He wanted to make sure there were no catches. After 20 minutes of careful scrutineering, he was sure there were none. Certianly, he would have liked to make more money from the deal, but in all cases, there would be some profit made. There were a few spots where the Port would merely exceed operating costs by a percentage, but it was made up for in other spots, surprisingly.

He looked to Adraudia and nodded. These terms were acceptable.

Adraudia Basillie
Feb 1st, 2008, 01:43:00 PM
As much as Adraudia did not appreciate being duped, she could respect the Queen Mother for testing her resolve. Setting up the sovereignty of Onderon was the only way to truly discover what mettle the Monarchy had. Alliances were based upon mutual interests and similarities in culture.

"I see, Ambassador and understand. I'm pleased that the Queen Mother is thorough with whom she aligns with." Victer scanned the agreement as the Adraudia conversed with the delegation in small talk. It was merely a curious exchange of interests of their cultures.

Finally her Minister gave a wordless approval, and Adraudia smiled that this hurdle with their new friends was over. "Dejan says that your terms are suitable. I will go over them personally tonight and have a rough draft of our treaty by tomorrow afternoon. Say 1300?"

Victer Dejan
Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:22:06 PM
As soon as the Hapans were well out of sight, Victer let out a massive sigh.

"I am beyond relieved."

Adraudia Basillie
Feb 7th, 2008, 09:05:47 AM
She sighed in agreement. "I think we should celebrate tonight. Tomorrow Onderon can know our treaty after it is signed. With all of your hard work, you deserve a night off."