PDA

View Full Version : Sugar, Spice, And All Things Nice

Trevor Smokey
Dec 21st, 2007, 09:42:18 AM
It was a bright but frosty morning, and Trevor's heavy footprints crunched in th thin patches of ice that littered the walkways. His coat was wrapped tightly around him, a little uncomfortable with the handle of his falcata digging into him, and the bottoms of his jeans dark and wet from the damp ground. Plucking the card from his pocket, he gave a quick glance at the address. It was just round the corner.

Sure enough, he was soon met with a sign reading "Sweet Occasions and More". The Brit grinned, tugging on the iced handle and moving into the warmth of the shop. Ther were a few customers, all looking a bit desperate to get the christmas shopping finished. Peerinf over them, he recognised Nikki behind the counter, and swiftly navigated his way across to her.

"Nice place" he complimented, greeting her with a toothy smile.

Nikoleta
Dec 22nd, 2007, 09:38:13 PM
Nikoleta was genuinely glad to see Trevor. His spirits weren't bleak and that meant he was still open to discussion based upon their previous encounter. One thing for certain, he was surprised being here. "Thank you. I'm glad you like it," her good demeanor continued as the saleswoman came out. "Are you looking for anything particular for the holidays? We have an assortment of candies, cookies and pastries from different parts of the world."

Trevor Smokey
Dec 23rd, 2007, 05:55:21 AM
Trevor's eyes wandered around the shop, browsing over the goods.

"I tell you what. I've got a craving for sugar almonds, if you've got any."

Nikoleta
Dec 23rd, 2007, 10:01:35 AM
She tapped at the base of her chin, looking over the various almond delights the front store was displaying. Chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, and the most popular caramelized almond toffee were in stock.

"Ah!" Her finger shot up as if she remembered where they were. "I have some in the back. Come!"

Nikoleta smiled and opened the small swinging door that led to the employee area. "Steffan and Emily can watch the front. If they don't mind?"

Steffan was a young kid, probably 17 or 18 years old. His roots were German, with blonde hair shaved closed to his scalp and piercing blue eyes. Emily's roots were hidden amongst several mixtures creating her American heritage, who's hair was brown with beautiful red highlights, just touching on some grey with endearing green eyes.

"No worries, Nikki," said Steffan. "If things get hectic, we'll yell."

"Just not too loudly," quipped Emily cheerfully.

With the front secured, Nikoleta led Trevor into the storage room and ruffled through her inventory to find the almonds requested, allowing him the chance to talk when he was ready.

Trevor Smokey
Dec 24th, 2007, 08:01:28 AM
Trevor shuffled around a little, looking around the store room.

"This might not suprise you, but, she didn't really tell me much about Wade. She left once I started pressing her about it" he explained.

Nikoleta
Dec 24th, 2007, 12:49:42 PM
"That's not too surprising." Nikoleta's voice was muffled as her head, and then torso, disappeared into a large cardboard box. "She's a private one to begin with. When she's caught red handed doing something wrong, she's closes up further. Where is it? ... Ah ha!"

She pulled herself up and jiggled the bag of almonds triumphantly in her hand. "Found them."

Trevor Smokey
Dec 24th, 2007, 04:32:36 PM
Trevor's eyes lit up as Nikki pulled the bag up. He thanked her as she passed them over, and he opened the bag, plungering his hand inside and plucking out a yellow shelled almond. Popping it into his mouth, he cracked through the coating and chewed contently on the sweet.

"Oh...that's beautiful..." he grinned, before swallowing and moving back onto subject.

"What happened exactly? If you don't mind me asking, that is. God knows she's not gonna tell me."

Nikoleta
Dec 28th, 2007, 11:37:13 AM
Nikoleta closed up the box with packing tape methodically as she spoke, "I'm not sure how she was getting her information, but she was finding easy targets to take out. Immortals who were young. Easy pickings ..."

She stopped there with a sigh and set aside the tape dispenser on an empty shelf. "Before I explain further, what do you know of our rules involved in the Game?"

Trevor Smokey
Dec 29th, 2007, 08:27:40 AM
Trevor shook his head.

"Not a lot, if I'm honest. Only thing I'm aware of is that's it's bloody dangerous. Brigid shoved me into intensive physical training almost immediately after finding me, which I've been continuing on my own over the past few days. She only mentioned it once really" he said, chewing on another almond.

Nikoleta
Dec 29th, 2007, 08:59:27 AM
She sighed and cursed at herself mentally. If those foul Sabbat Vampires had not attacked her that night, Trevor would be far more knowledgeable by now.

"That is unfortunate, Trevor. And unacceptable." She bit back, obvious displeasure in her voice. "We Immortals are thrust into the Game at the moment of our first death. We fight for the prize and in the end, there can only be one. Some Immortals choose to fight only when needed, others crave power and those are the ones you must be very cautious about."

Trevor Smokey
Dec 29th, 2007, 09:07:20 AM
Trevor nodded.

"You're talking about Brigid?" he asked.

Nikoleta
Dec 29th, 2007, 09:14:50 AM
"Yes," she replied with a small nod, "She craved power and worked within our simplistic rules to gain an advantage over other Immortals. My student, Wade, was one of them. He was only decades old compared to her centuries and she easily beheaded him. And others."

Her eyes burned with anger. "Just because we must kill, does not mean we have to loose our honor in doing so."

Trevor Smokey
Dec 29th, 2007, 09:28:57 AM
Trevor's features softened as he listened to Nikki, before he stepped forward and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Hey, hey it's alright" he said. "I understand. No use getting all het up about it now though, right?"

Nikoleta
Dec 29th, 2007, 09:52:18 AM
Loosing Wade cut deep. He was more then a student, he was a friend, a legacy. It was her responsibility to keep him safe!

She felt Trevor's gentle touch and it startled her for a moment. But her nerves were on edge with Brigid, yet a smile was managed. "I suppose. Tis the season?"

Trevor Smokey
Dec 29th, 2007, 10:10:38 AM
Trevor let go, plunging his hand back into the almonds.

"Absolutely!" he beamed, munching on a small handful. "But yeah, you wanna get back at her?"

Nikoleta
Dec 29th, 2007, 10:13:24 AM
"Yes," she said matter-of-factly. "I intend to duel her properly."

Trevor Smokey
Dec 29th, 2007, 10:18:44 AM
Trevor pulled out a plastic crate and took a seat.

"Will it really help? I mean, yeah, it'll feel good to take your revenge. But what about after that? It's not going to bring back Wade, you know that" he said softly.

Nikoleta
Dec 29th, 2007, 10:21:27 AM
"This has nothing to do with revenge," she countered. "It has to do with ensuring that Brigid is stopped from repeating her past mistakes over and over again. This isn't the first time she has done questionable actions."

Trevor Smokey
Dec 29th, 2007, 10:29:20 AM
Trevor paused for a moment, taking in Nikki's words.

"There's no other way?" he asked, almost pleading. After everything, he couldn't forget what Brigid had done for him when she found him.

Nikoleta
Dec 29th, 2007, 10:32:21 AM
Nikoleta looked at him sympathetically and pulled up a crate next to him. "I'm sorry you are caught in the middle of this. Brigid and I go way back. I knew her before her first death, but she has this terrible pattern of turning every few centuries and each time it gets worse. I've given her chances. Taking Wade was her last indiscretion that I cannot allow to go unanswered."

Trevor Smokey
Dec 29th, 2007, 10:38:12 AM
Trevor sighed and nodded.

"I understand. I guess I just died at the wrong time" he replied, somewhat half-heartedly. "But hey, no use sulking over it" he said, perking up a little. "Nothing I can really do about it, is there?"

Nikoleta
Dec 29th, 2007, 10:44:07 AM
"Unfortunately not," she said with a scowl. But then Nikoleta suddenly chuckled at the irony at the situation. "You know what's ironic and sad? Brigid was a student of mine. A fine one. But sometimes she enjoys the rush of the kill far too much."

Her heart felt so cold. "I take no pleasure in this at all."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:17:21 AM
"It's alright" Trevor said with a wave of the hand, before stuffing more almonds into his mouth.

"I don't know what to do, really. I'm stuck in the middle ground..." he trailed off. "Almond?" he asked, lifting the bag towards Nikki.

Nikoleta
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:24:50 PM
Some of the seriousness washed away from her face slowly and grabbed a few almonds. "You're handling it well. You are very mature for someone your age."

Nikoleta popped an almond into her mouth. Most Immortals after their first death did not take their new found longevity seriously. All though it was the time of the Game, the struggle for the prize was no joke.

Trevor Smokey
Jan 4th, 2008, 04:47:56 AM
"My age? I...oh yeah..." Trevor mused. It was easy to forget he was very young amongst immortals; still a child, really. "Do you still want to take me under your wing? There's too much suspicion and too much hidden between me and Brig now."

Nikoleta
Jan 4th, 2008, 07:51:40 AM
The almond cracked rather loudly between her teeth. She was actually somewhat surprised that Trevor wanted to change his mentors this quickly. But if the Immortal had to guess, his confrontation with Brigid had caused her to become highly defensive. That led to her walls forming and eventually projecting distrust.

It was highly childish for someone her age. Even Fiona knew when to place the child aside and become serious.

"If that is your wish," said Nikoleta, not acting as if she had one upped Brigid or sounding eager that she won. "I would gladly train you."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 4th, 2008, 12:40:09 PM
"I appreciate it" Trevor said with a smile. "Just, don't ask me to turn against her completely. I couldn't do it, not with what's happened" he continued.

Nikoleta
Jan 4th, 2008, 12:43:03 PM
"I would never ask you to do that," she said evenly, "That is not my way. Our fight is between the two of us. Your job is to stay alive until you're trained properly."

She smirked, "Think you can do that?"

Trevor Smokey
Jan 4th, 2008, 12:48:52 PM
Trevor looked up, giving Nikki a wink

"No problemo. Tough as nails is ole' Smokey."

He stood steadily.

"I'd better be off. Places to run, swords to swing. You know how it goes. Perhaps you're free in the next few days?" he asked.

Nikoleta
Jan 4th, 2008, 12:51:57 PM
"Well, one last thing to discuss before you go." She stood up and stole another almond. It was hers after all. "I think you should relocate inside the Church. I'd rather not have Brigid stumble upon us during your training. That isn't fair to you."

Trevor Smokey
Jan 4th, 2008, 01:13:46 PM
Trevor nodded.

"Sounds fair 'nuff to me. Vicar said there's a spare room out back. I'll move my stuff in tonight. I'll be waitin' for ya" he said, sliding the almonds into his coat pocket.

Nikoleta
Jan 4th, 2008, 01:15:57 PM
"Shop closes at 9 tonight," she said and tossed him another bag of almonds. "Christmas hours. I'll see you closer to 10."

Trevor said that would be fine and collected his stash of almonds before leaving. Nikoleta opted to head to her office and sat down. Under her desk she pulled out a large scabbard that held her weapon of choice. A hand and a half German broadsword. She had used this weapon for over a millennium. The same weapon that she had once used to teach Brigid.

Now she would have to use it against a woman she had grown to love as a daughter. The irony left a bad taste in her mouth. But her thoughts strayed to tonight and pulled out the blade to polish it. Her more immediate concern was Trevor. It was best to not think about Brigid until later.