PDA

View Full Version : Beer Recommendations!

Jeseth Cloak
Dec 18th, 2007, 01:27:30 PM
The beer comments in the picture request thread sparked my interest on sampling some new drinks. Post your beer recommendations. Mine are:

MID or Samuel Adams Summer Ale on a hot day, Asahi on a cool day, and Pyramid Pale Ale just about any other time.

Droo
Dec 18th, 2007, 01:51:05 PM
I love a pint of Heineken.

Mu Satach
Dec 18th, 2007, 01:56:41 PM
Melbourne Brothers Cherry Ale

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 18th, 2007, 01:58:55 PM
Fat Tire all the way. It tastes like, well... it tastes like driftwood. Delicious driftwood mind you.

Khendon Sevon
Dec 18th, 2007, 02:03:01 PM
Flying Dog Tire Bite is a favorite of mine. Their IPA is pretty good, too. http://www.flyingdogales.com/beer-tire-bite.asp We usually pound (erm, sip... really... yeah, I know, that was just a long sip! chill!) a few of these after a long day of rock climbing.

I shared a six of Full Moon (winter version of Blue Moon) recently and that was yummy.

If you want something stronger (malt), get Victory Storm King Imperial Stout. That stuff'll knock ya' down, son. A few of those and I'm toasty.

Aurelias Kazaar
Dec 18th, 2007, 02:07:46 PM
Guinness. Boddington's. Hefe Weiss. Sam Adams. Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

Droo
Dec 18th, 2007, 04:04:39 PM
I bet none of those beers have an advert as good as this, though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdxC3hGBVfM

Morgan Evanar
Dec 18th, 2007, 04:12:51 PM
Anything by Samuel Smith or Spaten. I also like Dos Equis Amber, Heineken Special Dark, Stella Artois, and a bunch of other ones I'm forgetting.

Nathanial K'cansce
Dec 18th, 2007, 04:28:23 PM
I forgo beer most the time and get myself a cap't and coke.

Though I do enjoy Rolling Rock, Blue Moon (The Full Moon was decent too) and some local beers I've tried.

Karl Valten
Dec 18th, 2007, 06:48:37 PM
Leinenkugel's Sunset Weat is absolutely delicious and if you don't mind a bit of a sweet beer, Leinenkugel's Apple Spice is also a great choice.

Jeseth Cloak
Dec 18th, 2007, 07:01:49 PM
I am going to try to sample every beer listed in this thread in the first week of January. I'll try to do it in one night, and then post a transcript of my flavorful adventure... :)

Karl Valten
Dec 18th, 2007, 07:09:16 PM
Apple Spice is seasonal, they may not be brewing it.

Aurelias Kazaar
Dec 18th, 2007, 07:18:22 PM
Both Spaten and Stella are good too. Sam Adams Winter Ale = good too.

Slayn Cloak
Dec 18th, 2007, 08:16:31 PM
I'll have whatever morg's drinking, or a Guinness.

Eluna Thals
Dec 19th, 2007, 01:10:31 AM
No particular order, and these are based on whatever flight of fancy I'm on:

Red Stripe lager (lime is mandatory!)
Newcastle brown ale (a nutty, sort of caramel taste. Very agreeable dinner beer)
Paulaner Hacker-Pschorr Weiss Dark Hefeweizen (winter favorite. Very heavy and very complex. Tastes of cinnamon)
Kohstriker Schwartzbier (very dark, very smooth)
Murphy's Irish Draught (Guinness tastes like ashes. Drink this instead)
Fat Tire (it tastes exactly like liquid bread)
Sweetwater Blue (local beer with a hint of blueberries! Awesome!)
Abita Purple Haze (light and clean with raspberries, goes well with creole food)
Rogue's Dead Guy Ale (brutal and hoppy the way I like a pale ale to be)
Sapporo (Japanese lager, one of the most well-balanced I've had)
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat (another winter favorite of mine, this tastes like a pipe tobacco store smells, if that can be understood)

And while not my favorite in terms of craftsmanship, every beer drinker should drink these:
Pilsner Urquell (the archetype - if you drink any "pilsner" it is a faker and trying to imitate this singular czech beer. I find it hoppier than most of the imitation with a similarity to Canadian Moosehead)
Weihenstefaner (oldest continually-operational brewery on earth. The beer is good, but its not remarkable in my opinion)

Zem-El Vymes
Dec 19th, 2007, 01:31:05 AM
Christin asked me to send her preference list:

MGD
Milwaukee's Best
Milwaukee's Ice
King Cobra
Colt 45
Steel Reserve
Tequiza
Natural Light
Natural Ice
Southpaw

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 19th, 2007, 01:56:06 AM
Lies! :verymad

Khendon Sevon
Dec 19th, 2007, 09:43:07 AM
Hahahahahah.,... Natural Ice.... that's like, "I want to throw up after drinking one beer." (Such a nasty taste)

I forgot a few, I guess:

- Blue Point
- Brooklyn Brown Ale (I haven't tried all of the Brooklyn beers; but, I hear good things about the rest)
- Brooklyn Winter Ale (I was looking for this last night, my town's liquor store did not have a good selection of anything)

I'm sure I'll keep remembering beers as time goes by.

Fiona Devlin
Dec 19th, 2007, 09:43:14 AM
Killian's Irish Red, and any honey brown ale are fav's of mine.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 19th, 2007, 10:01:06 AM
Turba Dog, Strawberry Blonde, and Kirin Ichiban are very good also.

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 19th, 2007, 12:40:13 PM
I don't do beer.

Fiona Devlin
Dec 19th, 2007, 01:18:40 PM
and before Marcus crashes the thread, yes, we know you hate beer, blahblahblahblah, go away. :p

Cat X
Dec 19th, 2007, 06:15:01 PM
and before Marcus crashes the thread, yes, we know you hate beer, blahblahblahblah, go away. :p

Actually, its ANY alcohol. While I can socially drink (and a beer or two while chatting can be cool), alcohol does taste bloody awful, even more so since I've been keeping myself fit. Something about my body is demanding a lot of sugars to burn and hence bitter tasting foods / drink are just accentuated in horrible.

Not that it bothers me any and I'm certainly not losing anything in my opinion (And lets face it, alcohol is a facor more expensive than water and soft drink!)- seems to bother other people more tho. Get over it, I just dont like it :)

But if I do have a beer with you, your probably WORTH putting up with the lingering aftertaste so feel complimented

Morgan Evanar
Dec 19th, 2007, 06:46:41 PM
You'd like the Brooklyn beers, then. The one I had seems to disappear with little to no aftertaste. Odd, but good.

Aurelias Kazaar
Dec 19th, 2007, 06:56:47 PM
I think I had the same beer. I'm blanking on the name but I agree it was real good.

You know what was surprisingly good: Guinness and Smirnoff Ice Black (I think). A Guinness rep made it for me. It's like 3/4 Guinness 1/4 Smirnoff Ice Black.

Pretty good.

Mitch
Dec 19th, 2007, 07:54:30 PM
Strongbow or Magners hard ciders. Not beer, but tasty.

Darth McBain
Dec 19th, 2007, 08:21:06 PM
Killians, Guinness, Fat Tire are my mainstays. Flying Dog and Breckenridge breweries put out nice beers too.

Eluna Thals
Dec 19th, 2007, 08:26:08 PM
Guinness is only rated as high as it is because its the only Irish draught most people know. You people need to find Murphys in a serious way. It's that much better.

Park Kraken
Dec 21st, 2007, 03:52:03 AM
I don't do beer either. But that is just because of my low alcohol tolerance. Fruity mixed drinks are about the only thing I can stomach.

Khendon Sevon
Dec 21st, 2007, 12:12:32 PM
Why do people who don't drink beer have to post in the "Beer Recommendations!" thread saying "I don't drink beer."

Ghaaaaa!!! *Shakes fist*

*Throws a frying pan and storms off*

Park Kraken
Dec 21st, 2007, 01:14:57 PM
The one time I did try beer, the one thing I did like about it is how it altered my taste buds, making the tortilla chips I was munching on taste much more limey.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 21st, 2007, 02:59:24 PM
Why do people who don't drink beer have to post in the "Beer Recommendations!" thread saying "I don't drink beer."

Ghaaaaa!!! *Shakes fist*

*Throws a frying pan and storms off*

:lol

You do have a point, however.

Aurelias Kazaar
Dec 21st, 2007, 03:25:06 PM
Guinness is only rated as high as it is because its the only Irish draught most people know. You people need to find Murphys in a serious way. It's that much better.

Can't believe I forgot Murphy's. Their Irish Stout is fantastic!

Liam Jinn
Dec 21st, 2007, 11:31:22 PM
I've held off on this one for awhile, but since I'm drinking, why not?!

Look, I usually don't drink beer just because it's so tasty and smooth. Either I drink at parties or hell, I don't feel like paying for a 6 pack when I can get a 18 pack for the same price.

Sooo...

Party Beers

Coors
Bud
Miller

Pisswater? Sure, but it's cheap and is great for drinking games.

Khendon Sevon
Dec 22nd, 2007, 11:46:07 AM
*storms back into the thread*

You don't recommend "pisswater" beer!!

*Picks up frying pan that he'd thrown and smashes it against Liam's head*

<-- Beer Thread Monitor (oh, man... I just had a heart attack, that reminds me of concurrent programming... someone stop me before I become more nerdy).

Jeseth Cloak
Dec 27th, 2007, 11:08:06 PM
Boddington's.
I had this today. It was AMAZING
!

MM. Yum. I had quite a bit, actualt. I might have some more, cause it' so good.

Liam Jinn
Dec 27th, 2007, 11:40:12 PM

<-- Beer Thread Monitor (oh, man... I just had a heart attack, that reminds me of concurrent programming... someone stop me before I become more nerdy).

*Gets hit by the frying pan*

I did, and don't feel the least bit bad about it! Now don't make me get graphic about where you should stick said frying pan. :)

Denarr Sepphist
Dec 27th, 2007, 11:42:07 PM
Boddington's.
I had this today. It was AMAZING
!

MM. Yum. I had quite a bit, actualt. I might have some more, cause it' so good.

I Really enjoyed the air-bauble inside that gave you a nice, original frothy head.

FOR THE LOVE OF BEER. <3
-salutes-

Hartus Kenobi
Dec 29th, 2007, 11:31:17 PM
Stella is the only beer for me. But I'm not much of a beer drinker.

Cat X
Dec 30th, 2007, 12:09:48 AM

a) People who dont drink beer posting in a beer recommendation thread? Think about it. We're recommending DONT DRINK BEER.

And secondly, if you pan someone in such a weak fashion again, I shall set FORCE LAWYERS WITH BIG FEES onto your backside for copyright infringement. The MPL (Marcus Public Licence) states that all pannings must be done in a fit and proper manner with a proper build up and a result.Panning someone in the manner you did is a breach of this licence and thence under this licence you are deemed to owe 50,000 pancakes. You will deliver these pancakes to Liliana Deville to satisfy her preganancy urges. You have 5 days to comply or face further sanctions in the order of a FORCE TITANIC THEME or worse.

Denarr Sepphist
Dec 30th, 2007, 12:40:52 AM
You have 5 days to comply or face further sanctions in the order of a FORCE TITANIC THEME or worse.

Oh god, do what he says. DO WHAT HE SAYS!

Khendon Sevon
Dec 30th, 2007, 08:07:00 PM
a) People who dont drink beer posting in a beer recommendation thread? Think about it. We're recommending DONT DRINK BEER.

And secondly, if you pan someone in such a weak fashion again, I shall set FORCE LAWYERS WITH BIG FEES... etc

So... what you're saying is... you're the frying pan monitor?

Back to, you know, the thread's topic: Don't try Magic Hat's winter ale (It's Roxy something). It's pretty bleh. Friend and I split a six and couldn't get through it. Just too nasty tasting.

Zem-El Vymes
Dec 30th, 2007, 08:32:37 PM
I sit and wonder at people who fancy that Blue Moon is a good beer. I just don't know, man.

Khendon Sevon
Dec 31st, 2007, 09:40:33 AM
Well, when you're in a snooty club/bar that has a really, really horrible beer selection and Blue Moon, you're happy for the Blue Moon. It's not a bad beer. It's pretty good. I wouldn't say it's great or my favorite; but, I have no complaints.

I'd gladly drink a Blue Moon.

Zem-El Vymes
Dec 31st, 2007, 07:23:13 PM
You know what is good? I mean like really good?

Chimay out of the bottle, with two dozen raw oysters. That is a night, let me tell you!

Mu Satach
Dec 31st, 2007, 07:45:02 PM
The MPL (Marcus Public Licence) states that all pannings must be done in a fit and proper manner with a proper build up and a result.Panning someone in the manner you did is a breach of this licence and thence under this licence you are deemed to owe 50,000 pancakes. You will deliver these pancakes to Liliana Deville to satisfy her preganancy urges. You have 5 days to comply or face further sanctions in the order of a FORCE TITANIC THEME or worse.

Now that was nice. Very nice... >=}
I would have said LOL, or HA-HA... but felt it would demean this post.

And just so's this is post is on topic... I also enjoy Killian's Red.
And there's a local brewery here that puts out a few nice ales and such.

Jeseth Cloak
Jan 1st, 2008, 02:44:07 AM
I got to sample Fat Tire the other day on the way home - there's a pub nearby that carries it.

My review: Yum!

Boddington's still beats it in my book, though! Man that stuff is good. I just finished drinking a lot of it for New Year's Day.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:31:21 PM
Strongbow or Magners hard ciders. Not beer, but tasty.

Yup yup, cider ftw. Kopparberg and Brothers are also delicious.

I tried a cider called Green Goblin for the first time this week. It was 'oak aged', tasted like drinking a tree. I wouldn't recommend it, even for the novelty of the name.

Darth Binky
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:56:41 PM
Good beers

Franzenkaner Weiss Beer
Paulaner Double Block
Warstiener
Yuengling
Yuengling Black and Tan
Heinekin (only when its ice cold)
Pilsner Urquell (its Czech I think)
Murphy's Irish Stout (Guiness tastes like ***** I don't know why people drink it)
Killians Irish Red
Spaten Optimizer
Blue Point Toasted Lager
New Castle
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Otter Creek Pale Ale

There's probably a few more but thats all I care to stock in my fridge at the studio.

Killians is delicious.

Eluna Thals
Jan 7th, 2008, 02:45:20 AM
Binky aside from the Warsteiner and Killians you have got some excellent taste.

And yes Pilsner Urquell is Czech, as in Pilsen, Czech Republic. It's the archetype :)

Darth Binky
Jan 7th, 2008, 02:51:01 AM
Binky aside from the Warsteiner and Killians you have got some excellent taste.

And yes Pilsner Urquell is Czech, as in Pilsen, Czech Republic. It's the archetype :)

I'll admit Warstiener isn't very good in a bottle but its not bad from a tap.

As for the Killians, HEY! Thats one of my favorite beers, but only when its on tap. I'll take a picture tomorrow of my bands studio. Fridge stocked to the brim with beer, several cases of liquor, and yes, a bar.

We drink more than we play, and we smoke more than we drink.:D

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 7th, 2008, 04:42:24 AM
Just out of interest, what is the opinion here on Kronenberg Blanc?

Tri'ahna Zylary
Jan 7th, 2008, 04:55:31 AM
Beck's Green Lemon
Smithwick's
Murphy's
Newcastle Brown Ale
Various German beers ...