PDA

View Full Version : Broken Assets

Tsumera Anukai
Dec 17th, 2007, 02:16:56 AM
Four Years Ago
----------------

Blood splashed across the sweltering sand, staining the tawny canvas a deep crimson.

It was the first time I had ever been hit in training. I marveled at the pain that tore through my jaw, became entranced by the blooming vortex that had impacted with the ground.

Only half-aware of the silence that had swept over the many spectators that had come to observe the spar, Tsumera Anukai brought up a hand to smear away the dribbling essence that seeped from a crescent wound carved into her lip. Hesitation. Her fingers trailed the warmth that emanated from the blood but never dipped inward to explore the foreign substance.

By now, my eyes had torn themselves from the wine-hued liquid that had steadily began to seep into the beach sand. My brother, my opponent, had swept back from the offensive stance that had landed him the hit. He seemed as shocked as I.

Her gaze, once vibrantly rebellious against the piercing rays of the suns above, hardened into a slate tone so artic that her kin might have doubted the honesty of her wound and mistaken the plasma on the ground for ice. Her hand dropped carelessly to the side, the most apathetic motion she had ever managed, afforded. All the while those eyes bore into his.

I was going to give him time to come to terms with it all.

Her head turned back to right then, her neck conceding a violently loud crack. The sound was about lost as the waves came crashing to the shore, wiping away the evidence at her feet. The sodden ocean-earth was undisturbed as she took up her own stance. One hand to her side, the other before her. Palms were toward him, focused. Her eyes, they took in all of him and yet stared through, unabridged. She took her time settling into a bearing that always came so naturally.

I wanted him to know that he was going to die.

---------

She could feel it spill off her hands every time she punched. The various items decorating her surroundings shuddered with each sweeping gesture. No, it was something more. Typically, the outward advance of pressure would rattle the tender objects that creatures found themselves so drawn to. But the reality was now, she could harness enough of this unseen power to shatter glass or even implode a wood paneled wall.

“What are you doing..?”

Tsumera turned her white eyes upon her father whose frame took up the entire doorway of her room. He didn’t bother taking in the broken assets but rather, he scrutinized her movements and waited for some slip. But she was not as disregardful as her older brother.

“Improving my technique, sir.” She answered, her voice oddly mature for a girl of only fourteen.

“The use of the force is strictly forbidden when applying that technique, Tsumera.” He replied in that hardened voice. In truth, she had obtained most personality traits from her sire. Often times, it was like talking to a mirror.

“To know oneself, one must uphold the laws of our combat while exploring the Tiers. The force, weapons, and armor only hinder the sacred communication of battle.” She repeated the lesson that had been engraved into her brain time and time again. He didn’t seem pleased or angered by her mechanical repetition of his very words. One moment he was there, the next he was gone.

I think he knew then how it would turn out. Even though I did not reveal my enthrallment through the link of our people, I was quite certain he could feel the change in me. Like a ripple in the wind when a storm began to haunt the horizon.

---------

Tsumera had never seen him so staggered and she found that realization almost agreeable. He stumbled as he launched forward and his arms quivered as he brought them up. Surprisingly, he was much faster. It didn’t matter, he knew it too.

She shifted effortlessly. Posting one leg to the back and turning her foot, she brought the other forward. He was just about upon her when she swept her arms forward much like she had that morning in her room. She displaced the source as if it were as crucially light as air and broke through his frontward guard. Her palms slammed into the joint of his elbows, knocking his arms out of commission.

Then, luring her own limbs back to her torso, she gathered the force she knew would end the cycle of her life here with them and pushed it all into her hand. Her arms cut forward and she shoved every last bit of that sensation into the wall of his chest. The finality was bittersweet as was the sanguine flood that erupted from her brother’s contorted lips just before his body collide with the waves that had rushed forward to meet him.

“To know oneself, the sacred communication of battle must not hinder the true calling of self-expression. The force has allowed me to breach the restriction of the Echani Tiers.” She spoke aloud, looking past the corpse of her opponent and into the faces of those who observed. Among them, her father, with his detached expression.

I know myself. I have no desire to further serve the laws that restrict my nature.

Denarr Sepphist
Dec 18th, 2007, 03:44:22 PM
Empress Teta : Four years ago

Clink

the coin fell into the tin, rattling along side the rest and provoking a murmured ‘thank you’.

Sympathy. It always got the best of people...

She was but a child, with scrawny arms and a mess of black hair that fell about her face, the oily ends catching on her lips that muttered quiet pleas to passing strangers.

“Money for the blind?”

“‘Hey, spare some coin?”

She sat on a street that bordered the City slums; a crude brown dress (two sizes too big) fell about her frame with one sleeve dribbling off her shoulder. Small toes wriggled in broken sandals, the minute gesture adding to the childish innocence that so expertly parted citizens from their cash. A stretch of gauze had been wound tightly about her eyes; and if any were to accuse the girl of treachery, she had only to lift the wrap and expose the milk of sightless discs to prove her claims as truth.

That’s usually where the best money came from - those that felt guilty for questioning her motives. Very few people know a Miralukan when they saw one, especially considering so few of them venture from their home-world; and Denarr had been using that fact to the best of her advantage.

There were, however, some elements of truth to her begging; after all, Force Sight didn’t help much when it came to tasks such as reading anything that isn’t either embossed or in brail. Without space for the force to flow between or around a surface, it simply spreads across it and fails the Miraluka who have no way of knowing what exactly is on a 2D medium. Computer screens, hand-written notes and even certain signs all fell beyond her capabilities; and Denarr was (understandably so), quite tired of it.

In three weeks of begging, she had managed to collect a good portion of cash that she needed to meet her goal; that being a small hand-held translator she had found in a shady junk-shop. The device was able to scan a surface and relay the information verbally, Denarr almost squealed when she had found it, figuring the item could help her immensely, especially when it came to computers. The price had been high, and the owner unwilling to bargain, leaving the Miralukan to scavenge all that she could from the streets...

Collecting her things, the child left her corner and made a direct heading for the far side of the district; her thin little fingers pulling at her dress to ensure it didn’t snag under her feet.

It may have been her apparent helplessness, or the jingle of tender as she walked - either way, it had caught the attention of a trio of urchins who lingered at the lip of an alley; Denarr, even able to see through the wall that they hid behind (a valuable perk of Force Sight), couldn’t have known they were waiting, specifically, for her...

Two grabbed her arms while the third stole her small satchel; cries and kicks of protest only forcing the boys to squeeze her all the harder.
“Well, what do we have here then?” the tallest of the three - the one holding her pack - shot a grimy smile as he rummaged through the bag; his face brightening when he came across the mess of coins at it’s base.
“We’ll be takin’ this.” his breath stank, even from a distance - and Denarr could think of little else to do but raise a verbal fuss.
“It ain’t yours!” she squealed, kicking at the scum who simply side-stepped.
“It is now.” a choir of bitter laughter.
“It ain’t yours! Give it back or.... or.....” It was then that she spotted what looked like a basic patrol, guards posted by the City to help reduce crime spreading from the slums to the Central quarters. “...Or the guards’ll get you!”

They were a good way off yet, however the wall that blocked them from the street proved useless to the sight of the Miralukan, who saw it as little more than a quivering, translucent film with the outlines of the figures pushing through. Confusion spread across the gangs faces as the tallest instructed one of them to check; Denarr fighting with one hand free - as pointless as it was...

“She’s right!” the boy was fat with a dirty face jogged back, all but red with panic. “How’d she know. Gip?” he looked to the apparent leader.
“They’ll be here in a second, and If you don - - -” a grubby hand covered her mouth as she was hurried to the back of the alley where she was held until the danger had passed...

“Alright. How’d you see that?” the tallest released her slowly.
“I just did. And I’ll scream if you don’t gimme back my bag!”
“Tell us how yer did it, then we’ll think about it.” Another toothy smile.
Denarr sighed, realising that either way she wasn’t going to get the cash back; her little shoulders slumping with a sigh.
“I just can. It’s how we see.”
“We?”
“My people.”
“Your people can see through walls?” the trio asked, enthraled.
“And lots of other stuff too.”

That statement forced the group to look at one another, as if silently weighing up the use for such a talent. Gip, the leader, leaned in close, pulling off the gauze and revealing her cream-white eyes devoid of any pupil.
“I’ll tell yer what. You wanna be friends? There’s more of us. We could use someone like you.”
Denarr had squinted her eyes closed, an inherent modesty in her people to never show their blindness. “Will you gimme my money back?”
“You’ll get a lot more if you wanna help us out, kid.” his voice lacked any hints of betrayal, and there were several long moments of silence before the child finally spoke.
“I’m hungry. You got any food?”

Tsumera Anukai
Dec 19th, 2007, 12:56:37 AM
"Your stop, miss."

Tsumera Anukai looked up at the older humanoid man who had spoken, snapping from her light doze. She recalled informing him of where she was headed when he had asked at the start of their journey, but she hadn't devoted any effort in remembering his name. It wasn't like she would ever see him again anyway.

Dragging her long, white nails against the leather pouch fit snugly against her side, she rose from her seat in the transport and moved to the exit. For many months, she had drifted from shuttle to shuttle, never knowing where exactly she might end up. Not really caring. She had figured that once she ran out of credits, she'd just stay wherever. It was not until this very trip that she had learned of the Cinnagar underground. A combat arena.

She stepped down the ramp and onto the poorly paved street just off the landing pad. She had heard that the ancient architecture made it a worth while place to visit, but she wasn't really impressed. Everyone wore ignorant expressions and stumbled along a path they probably took every day. The poverty of the place was daunting, but that much was not displayed by her expression.

Strolling a short distance down the walkway, she stopped by a local street merchant who happened to have in his possession some ripe fruit. She hadn't eaten much in the last few days even though her satchel was full of Shaak jerky. Drawing out a few coins, as he preferred those to the credits she usually dealt with, she purchased the fruit and then turned.

She brought the Muja fruit to her lips and just as she would have liked to sink her teeth into it, the slightest tingle was felt at her hip. Her hand shot out and her nails about shredded the skin she had captured.

"Pick pocket? How uncouth. You seem so eager to relieve me of my credits, but I must have something in return. Perhaps I'll take your fingers..." She murmured, utterly serious. Her sterling eyes swiveled to the theif who appeared no older than she.

Denarr Sepphist
Dec 26th, 2007, 01:46:40 AM
Long nails bit into unarmored flesh, forcing rivulets of blood to swell from the wounds that they caused. The kid who owned the appendage stifled a surprised yelp and instantly dropped the credits; choosing instead to try and save his hand.

“I...” He was young, with a grubby face and even grubbier clothes.
“C’mon. I was jus’ playin’!”

A safe distance away, Denarr had positioned herself on a rickety ladder that stood against a shop wall; her rather unique eyes having blessed her with the job of gang-lookout. A signal from her, and several other Gye’gots would swarm in on the target - not so much to protect the poor sap who writhed in pain, but to ensure they got what they wanted.

Her money.

A gloved hand shot the alarm, and in a heartbeat, the planted retainers came alive in a surprisingly well-choreographed movement... Using the density of the street to their advantage, the seven scoundrels managed to circle in on the white-haired stranger in a way as not to draw attention; more than a few of them fingering crude weapons they had stashed beneath their clothes.

“Let him go. We’re warnin’ you.” One of them snarled and the others nodded in response; the entire scenario unfolding before the Miralukan, who began her treacherous climb down from the ladder and made a slow, very ambiguous path towards the outskirts of the fray.

“Better do what he says.” A second member warned, a hint of apprehension in his tone as the obvious pain of the thief was becoming all the more evident by the growing flush in his cheeks.

“D...do what he says.” the pick-pocket managed to stammer, using the softest voice he could. “Lemme go... please!”

Tsumera Anukai
Dec 28th, 2007, 05:54:44 PM
The nails that had been digging into the boy's arm slowly began to let up and the vice grip loosened. She watched the expression on his face change, rather than favoring the swarm of pests with her attention. How foolish of him to reveal his weaknesses so readily. Tsumera derived no pleasure from it, bringing suffering to an insubstantial whelp like this was an incredible waste of her time.

The youth tugged away from her nearly detached grip and she met his plain eyes with her own vibrant, milky orbs. Rather than fleeing, he became rooted to the spot. Too bad for him. The mob surrounding her tensed as her hand lurched out again and this time positioned itself firmly around his throat.

"You're warning me?" She said, addressing the one whom had snarled at her. Those unfeeling alabaster eyes wandered to him, noting that he was probably the largest of their number. He wielded a mace-like weapon complete with pointy spikes. It was worn, well used. But she hardly spared it a passing glance.

Her movement was swift and the pack of mongrels gasped in unison as the urchin she held by the throat promptly collided with a wall adjacent to her bearings. Placing her foot over the coins on the ground, never having removed her icy stare from the menacing, barbaric civilian, she grinned.

"You want this...? Come and get it..." She motioned him forward with a nimble gesture performed by her index finger and flicked her gaze down to his weapon one last time. She didn't need any armaments to assert who was the superior warrior, being.

Denarr Sepphist
Dec 30th, 2007, 12:51:17 AM
<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><title></title><meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 2.3 (Unix)"> <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> There'd be a fight alright...
And the Gye'gots looked out-matched.

Denarr, however, had the advantage over her peers; not so much in the physical sense mind you - but instead with keen wit and intelligence. Over the past few months, the gang had come to appreciate her silver-tongue and mysterious 'blind sight'; their respect for the girl shining through as they reluctantly lowered their weapons.

"Hey now..." Her voice was reedy and laced with amusement as she stepped into the fray; her gloved hands waving idly about.
"C'mon, put em' away. There's no need for that." The Miralukan turned to assess the stranger; a small smirk building on the crest of pale lips. "You too, eh?"

She was tall, with a dark red hood pulled neatly over her eyes; allowing little more than spits of black hair to find their way down her shoulders. “You look strong.” she commented, keeping that same unreadable smile etched on her half-hidden face. “And very pale. You're not from here, I take it?”

By now, the surrounding gang members had backed off entirely, allowing Denarr a chance to weave her skill.
“Either way. I like the look of you, and, if you're interested. I've got a few ideas that'll make you real popular, real fast.” The girl gave a small wave that parted the ring of scoundrels; offering a ready exit if the stranger chose to listen.

“C'mon. What do you have to loose?”

Tsumera Anukai
Jan 1st, 2008, 06:21:30 PM
You too, eh?

It was the first time she had removed her eyes from the now at ease ruffian who obviously followed this young girl's orders. The red-hooded female was a few inches over Tsume and she wore a smile that the Echani couldn't quite figure out. Of course, she had never been very good at that. The emotions that spawned the expression she had been exposed to rarely in her short years and never had it curved her own lips genuinely. The best Tsumera could manage was an arrogant smirk or a stoic line.

Those alabaster irises raked the girl's form openly, almost rudely, as she spoke. Then, stepping forward and coming to a halt just before the ring leader, she propped a hand on her hip.

"Popular..." She murmured, her voice soft but undeniably firm. "I have nothing to lose, girl. I shall indulge you for now."

Denarr Sepphist
Jan 4th, 2008, 01:50:44 AM
She seemed to ignore the obvious stabs at her authority, giving the bleached femme little more than a whipping smile.

"Your strong, nearly broke his wrist." her head canted in the direction of the whimpering urchin. "I know where you can make some money, if you gimme a cut of it, seeing as I'll be the one showing you around. Fair, in'nit?"

Denarr, despite her rather placid disposition, couldn't help but notice a strange air about the girl - something she hadn't seen before that danced about her aura in a dizzying, slightly off-putting flare. Maybe it was just part of her race? She couldn't be quite sure. All she knew was... something was definitely odd about her...

"C'mon. I'll take you now, if you're not too tired." The Miralukan gestured forwards before slipping into the heavy crowd. If she couldn't keep up, her loss.