PDA

View Full Version : That Hard Word

Trevor Smokey
Dec 12th, 2007, 12:01:36 PM
A few days had passed since the incident with Peakins. Trevor now stood over a table, cigarette hanging from his mouth, rooting through a large box of belongings the confused officer had brought to his house. A gun, handcuffs, pepper spray, even his spare uniform. A small collection of CDs, his mobile phone, books concerning both American and British law, a watch, his wallet and various other bits a pieces.

Right at the bottom was a photo album. Instantly recognising it, Trevor wrenched it out and went across the room to sit down, flipping the album open on his lap and thumbing through the pages. Nearly every picture was of him and a woman, taken across several years and in many places. Relieved it hadn't been damaged in the box, Trevor closed it and held it close to his chest, letting out a deep sigh before shoving it away in the bookcase nearby.

The house was nice enough. A little old, but nice. Homely. It was no more than 30 meters from the church itself, and sat within the grounds, surrounded by mossy gravestones and fallen leaves.

He had been too stubborn to contact Brigid before now, having spent the lest few days sulking on his own, cleaning inside the church and sweeping up outside. But he wasn't going to last long by himself. Sooner or later, someone would come for him, and he was far from ready. He glanced over at the falcata that leant again the wall, and sighed again.

Pushing out of the seat, Trevor trundled over to the phone, stubbing the cigarette in the ash tray before scooping up the reciever. He hesitated for a moment, waving his head from side to side, before quickly punching Brigid's number into the phone before he could change his mind.

Brigid Cassidy
Dec 12th, 2007, 12:14:23 PM
:: Brigid was sitting in front of the toaster, waiting for her pop tarts when the phone rang ::

"What's up, Smokey?"

Trevor Smokey
Dec 12th, 2007, 12:16:09 PM
There was a brief silence as Trevor fiddled with the phone cord for a moment.

"I, err...I wanted to say sorry" was all he said.

Brigid Cassidy
Dec 12th, 2007, 12:21:42 PM
:: She rolled her eyes, and shot the toaster with her finger as her breakfast popped up ::

"Forget it."

Trevor Smokey
Dec 12th, 2007, 12:26:27 PM
Again, there was a silence.

"That's it? You're not gonna lecture me about anything? You screamed at me and broke my nose in the middle of Chicago just to..." he trailed off, letting out a groan. "You busy today?"

Brigid Cassidy
Dec 12th, 2007, 12:42:23 PM
"Fiona does the lectures. I do face arranging."

:: She bit into a pop tart and chewed as she thought it over ::

"Not really. What's up?"

Trevor Smokey
Dec 12th, 2007, 12:53:09 PM
"Wondered if you fancied catching up" he said, glancing again at the falcata. "The blade's getting a bit dusty."

Brigid Cassidy
Dec 12th, 2007, 01:08:59 PM
"Alright. I'll come fetch you."

Trevor Smokey
Dec 12th, 2007, 01:15:46 PM
"Alrighty. See ya soon" he replied, before putting down the phone and lighting up another cigarette.

Slumping back in his chair, he relaxed a little, feeling better for ringing her, and waited for a knock.

Nikoleta
Dec 12th, 2007, 02:06:57 PM
Saint Henry's was the oldest church in Chicago that still was attached directly, and affiliated, to a cemetery, right off of Devon and Ridge. It was created in 1905 and was built in a neo-Gothic structure, clad in brick with ornamentation of limestone and bronze. The church has provided a warm and caring environment to those that worshiped here, has welcomed those that were in need, and had been the final resting place for many Chicago families for decades.

Out of the public eye, it has often been sanctuary for many Immortals passing through the city that wish to remove themselves from the Game on a temporary basis, for it is against the rules to fight amongst each other on holy ground. Often the Watchers and certain Churches have come to agreements on such protection, but only a few selected, and trusted, individuals know the truth.

Nikoleta had used this very church at one time back in 1915 for one of her students. A passenger aboard the Eastland was killed in the diaster that killed over 800 people. Nikoleta was there when he awoke from his first death and brought him here to St. Henry's to begin his indoctrination into the life of an Immortal.

And now news has reached her ears from Father Mathew that the grounds are sheltering a new Immortal once more. An Immortal that she was supposed to claim herself.

The old two story house still held warmth, but it clearly needed some tuckpointing done. Several of the bricks looked loose and so did the hand railing. When she grabbed it with a gloved hand it pushed back with a slight creak.

That was when she felt the tingling in the back of her mind that another Immortal was present. Trevor was inside and she gently rapped at the door to announce her presence, knowing they would have a most interesting conversation.

Trevor Smokey
Dec 12th, 2007, 02:14:54 PM
The Buzz rang about Trevor's head much sooner than he had expected. It was stronger than usual, much the same as it had been when he first met Brigid. Maybe it was just being on holy land or something. He didn't really know.

Standing up from the worn out chair, he headed out into the hall and towards the door. Shoving the cigarette in his mouth, he tugged on the handle and pulled open the door.

"Hey Brig...err, hi there..." he said, taken back by the sight of another woman at his doorstep. His hand rested atop the door as he loomed in the doorway. His stomach turned to butterflies in an instant. But still, he was on holy ground.

"Can I help you love?"

Nikoleta
Dec 12th, 2007, 02:24:30 PM
He tried to play it off cool, but she could sense the fear. Regardless of where it took place, the meeting of another Immortal that was not affiliated with your mentor caused severe anxiety. Were they here to say hello? Perhaps they were a friend of your mentor. Or worse, they had come upon sacred ground as a warning that your head was next.

"Hello." Nikoleta smiled politely with much warmth, which was far warmer then it was outside. It was chilly out, but the suede jacket helped to keep it off her skin. "I just wanted to chat for a bit if you had the time. And regardless of where we stand, I'm not here for trouble. I promise."

His mentor probably had instilled fear in him, which was good, but it was uncertain how much he knew of other Immortals. She would have to earn his trust if this was to work and take things slow.

Trevor Smokey
Dec 12th, 2007, 02:37:57 PM
Plucking the cigarette from his mouth, Trevor eyed the woman carefully. She didn't seem to be carrying a weapon, though it wouldn't have suprised him if she was.

"Errr, I guess..." he said hesitantly. Standing aside, he held the door open for the immortal, inviting her out of the cold. "Do you even know who I am?" he asked.

Nikoleta
Dec 12th, 2007, 02:50:33 PM
She rubbed the sides of her arms and stepped in, nodding in gratitude. "Thank you and yes, I do.

You are Trevor Smokey. An ex-Chicago officer that was killed on a drug raid. You were pronounced dead on the scene and taken to the morgue, where upon you awoke from your first death. You escaped and then found your way into an awaiting Immortal that took you in as their student and gave you a home here."

At the end of that summation, the Immortal had taken off her gloves and looked down at his weapon. A falcata. An interesting choice. It was created to solely slash and cut, which had the power of an axe behind it.

"Was this your choice?" She asked, peering down at the weapon.

Trevor Smokey
Dec 12th, 2007, 02:57:41 PM
Trevor stayed silent for a moment, almost transfixed at how accurate the woman's account of events was. He snapped out of it quickly. He supposed she could have been a friend of Brigid's.

"Uh...yeah...I chose it...there, something wrong with it?"

Nikoleta
Dec 12th, 2007, 03:00:20 PM
"Good." Her brown eyes approved when she set them upon the young Immortal. "That weapon is your life and will eventually become a part of you, an extension of your arm. It will take time for that to happen. Which is why you are at St. Henry's."

She motioned to the chair, "Mind if I sit?"

Trevor Smokey
Dec 12th, 2007, 03:03:24 PM
"Uh, go ahead" Trevor replied, still in a state of confusion. He wasn't entirely sure what to make of the situation.

"Sorry, uh, but, who are you?" he asked, half smiling.

Nikoleta
Dec 12th, 2007, 03:07:43 PM
"Who am I?" She parroted him as she sat down. "I am the Immortal that has been following you since you arrived in Chicago three years ago and felt that you were one of us. For three years, I did my research on you and watched you from afar, but just close enough so I could be there when you awoke from your first death."

Nikoleta swallowed hard and looked up at him apologetically, "You should not have woken up alone and confused and for that I am sorry."

Trevor Smokey
Dec 12th, 2007, 03:13:07 PM
Trevor's eyes widened. He stubbed out his cigarette in the almost full ash tray, tilting his head, his eyebrows knitted.

"You've been watching me? You've known about this for 3 years? I..."

He held his hand to his forehead, rubbing his temples, before sliding his palm down the side of his face and letting his arm hang again.

"Why?"

Nikoleta
Dec 12th, 2007, 03:16:50 PM
"Why have I been watching you?" She asked and his silence was meant for her to continue.

"Often when an Immortal senses one of us that has not suffered their first death, we decide to take them as our student. So we stay hidden from obvious sight and wait. Unfortunately it was not until your first death could I make myself known to you and what you were. I do have some contacts within the Chicago police and made sure they kept an eye on you. It was how I knew you died in that raid."

Trevor Smokey
Dec 12th, 2007, 03:27:04 PM
"Oh, I see...so it was supposed to be you and not Brigid then..."

Trevor paced around a bit.

"Do you, err, want anything? Food, drink, smoke?"

Nikoleta
Dec 12th, 2007, 09:32:58 PM
"Something to drink would be nice, thank you," she said pleasantly, "And that supposed can be rectified still, if you like. Who teaches you is your choice. Just so happens most of the time the first Immortal that finds you becomes your mentor. We don't usually amass in great quantities in a single city, though I know that isn't the case here in Chicago."

A war was brewing. Nikoleta herself seemed to be thrust in the middle of it. The Sabbat had targeted her, for what end, she was uncertain ...

Trevor Smokey
Dec 14th, 2007, 01:14:40 PM
Whilst she was talking, Trevor had disappeared into the kitchen, and now emerged holding two glasses of water. He handed one over to the visitor, taking a sip at his own.

"I, err...I dunno. I mean, Brigid's been really good to me since finding me. But you hav ben waiting for 3 years...I don't know..." he trailed off, taking another gulp of his drink.

"I don't suppose you can both teach me, can you?"

Nikoleta
Dec 14th, 2007, 01:21:41 PM
"Well, generally it is a one to one relationship between mentor and student. Occasionally other Immortals enter their lives and pass on knowledge if they desire." Nikoleta's voice turned cold for the first time since introducing herself to Trevor. "And I'm glad to hear that Brigid has been treating you well, but I wouldn't place much faith in her good will. She hasn't been the most scrupulous Immortal. Her past is quite tainted."

Trevor Smokey
Dec 14th, 2007, 01:23:35 PM
"Tainted?" he enquired, his voice echoing into his glass. "We've all got our grey areas. What do you mean?"

Nikoleta
Dec 14th, 2007, 01:27:23 PM
"Why don't you ask you herself?" She countered, her eyes dark with fury. "Ask her about Allen Wade. The entire story about how she found him and was able to defeat him. I think that should shed some light about her past misgivings."

The ancient one took a sip of water to calm herself.

Trevor Smokey
Dec 14th, 2007, 01:30:31 PM
Trevor raised an eyebrow, pulling up one of the dining chairs from under the table and sitting down.

"You two got a history or something?"

Nikoleta
Dec 14th, 2007, 01:44:08 PM
"You could say that." She checked her watch and sighed. "I hate to do this but I must depart. I have some errands that need attending to."

She stood up and gloved her hands. "Thank you for the hospitality and for allowing me to speak with you. If you have any misgivings about me, please talk with Detective Marsh. He can corroborate my story and you needn't worry about him knowing about you. Just be careful in contacting him since you have to keep up the story you fabricated about your death."

What that story was, she did not know, but there had to have been one created by Trevor or Brigid.

Trevor Smokey
Dec 14th, 2007, 01:47:32 PM
Trevor stood, walking the other immortal to the door.

"You're welcome, I guess."

His mind was turning over frantically, trying to work out what the hell was going on.

"You, err, got a name?" he asked.

Nikoleta
Dec 14th, 2007, 01:49:43 PM
"I go by Nikki." She gave him one last smile before leaving, hoping that after he had some time to digest what was said, Trevor would make the proper decision regarding his Immortal life. She did not want him in the middle of her quarrel with Brigid.

Trevor Smokey
Dec 14th, 2007, 01:51:54 PM
Trevor let out a deep breath, watching Nikki go beore closing the door and returning to the living room. Slumping into the arm chair, he finished the rest of his water and set the glass aside. Nothing much left to do but wait for Brigid he supposed.

Brigid Cassidy
Dec 15th, 2007, 08:50:07 AM
:: A few minutes later, Trevor felt the buzz again. It was Brigid ::

Trevor Smokey
Dec 15th, 2007, 08:55:42 AM
Trevor, feeling the immortal getting close, headed for the door. Pulling it open, he saw Brigid approaching. "I just had a very interesting visitor" he remarked as he let her in.

Brigid Cassidy
Dec 15th, 2007, 09:04:37 AM
"Oh yeah?"

:: Brigid stepped inside and flopped down in the lounge chair ::

"Who?"

Trevor Smokey
Dec 15th, 2007, 09:18:32 AM
"Who's Allen Wade?" he asked bluntly.

Brigid Cassidy
Dec 15th, 2007, 09:24:54 AM
:: She eyed him curiously ::

"One of us, and dead for nine years. Who's asking?"

Trevor Smokey
Dec 15th, 2007, 09:29:00 AM
"I'm asking" he replied, closing the door behind her. "How did he die?" he continued.

Brigid Cassidy
Dec 15th, 2007, 09:42:40 AM
:: She blew the hair from her face as she looked at him ::

"I took his head. That's what we do, Smokey."

Trevor Smokey
Dec 15th, 2007, 09:55:25 AM
Trevor eyed her for a moment, chewing something over before leading her into the living room.

"Who was his mentor? Do you know?"

Brigid Cassidy
Dec 15th, 2007, 10:01:41 AM
"No, but I'm guessing you do, so spill it."

Trevor Smokey
Dec 15th, 2007, 10:09:51 AM
Trevor shrugged.

"I don't know who his mentor was. I do know some immortal is pretty naffed of with you for killing him though. Nikki, she said her name was."

He pulled out the dining chair and sat down.

"What's the story?"

Brigid Cassidy
Dec 15th, 2007, 10:23:05 AM
"You tell me, Smokey." she countered.

Trevor Smokey
Dec 15th, 2007, 10:32:57 AM
"You're hiding something" Trevor replied, leaving not a second between where Brigid finished and he started, before realising he was slipping into old habits again.

"Just tell me what happened" he asked, his voice softening noticeably.

Brigid Cassidy
Dec 19th, 2007, 10:44:45 AM
"I told you, we crossed paths, we fought, he lost." she growled.

Trevor Smokey
Dec 19th, 2007, 10:53:01 AM
"That's it? That's all you've got to say about it?"

Trevor sat staring at her for a few more moments, before sighing heavily.

"You really not gonna tell me? Is it that bad?"

Brigid Cassidy
Dec 19th, 2007, 11:03:43 AM
:: Brigid gave him a measured stare ::

"Some Immortal with a chip on her shoulder pays you a visit and now you've got trust issues."

:: She gets up and heads for the door ::

Trevor Smokey
Dec 19th, 2007, 11:08:33 AM
Trevor followed her closely.

"You're getting awfully defensive about it, how do you think that looks? You'd be suprised what can get dug up after getting a tip-off."

Brigid Cassidy
Dec 19th, 2007, 11:13:11 AM
:: She froze, fighting back the urge to punch him out ::

Trevor Smokey
Dec 19th, 2007, 11:18:38 AM
"I get told something and you expect me to just disregard it? As much as I appreciate everything you've done for me Brig, I can't just ignore stuff like this. Why would this woman lie to me?"

Brigid Cassidy
Dec 19th, 2007, 11:21:18 AM
"You do whatever you feel you have to, Trevor ... because so am I."

:: she walked out the door ::