PDA

View Full Version : The Morning After

Rod Stafford
Dec 5th, 2007, 10:01:46 AM
From a troubled sleep, Rod awoke, mumbling to himself. He found himself lying on the sofa in Fiona's apartment. Grey light spilled in through the glass balcony doors, a rapturous skyline of thick white cloud rolled over Chicago with specks of clear blue winking through. He winced and lifted his arm to shield his eyes from the morning's glare.

"Argh!" he hissed.

White hot streaks of pain lashed out across his bare torso. The memory of the night previous suddenly enveloped him. He looked down and saw that some of his chest and belly was wrapped in gauze. On his left side, roughly where his stomach was, there were three long red stains in the white cotton. His right upper arm also tightly bound but at least he could move it. Gingerly, he touched his face. His lip was cut and swollen, his left eye felt bulbous and sore.

"Son of a bloody..."

He propped himself up on one of the pillows he'd been provided and sat upright, keeping the weight off his left side. He yawned and stared lazily out at the horizon.

Fiona Devlin
Dec 5th, 2007, 10:18:40 AM
:: Fiona appeared, wearing a robe of forest green ::

"Good morning, Rene."

:: She was carrying a tray with hot chocolate on it ::

Rod Stafford
Dec 5th, 2007, 10:34:34 AM
"Mornin'," he uttered in a husky voice.

He turned to face her, every slight movement ached but he hid it. His feet fell off the edge of couch and found the soft carpet beneath them. His swollen lip mutated into a wry grin.

"Get up to anything interesting last night?"

Fiona Devlin
Dec 5th, 2007, 10:46:36 AM
"No, it was a terrible bore" :p

:: She leaned down and kissed him on the head ::

"What would you like for breakfast?"

:: The time on the clock was 11:25 ::

Rod Stafford
Dec 5th, 2007, 11:02:27 AM
"A couple of paracetamol with a side of scotch."

She handed him a mug of hot chocolate. He sipped at it.

"I'll have whatever you're having, as long as it's something light."

He suddenly looked up at her from his drink.

"Are you alright?"

Fiona Devlin
Dec 5th, 2007, 11:10:36 AM
"I'm fine, thanks."

:: It was very quiet. Everyone else was up and out for the day ::

"I can whip up another batch of breakfast tacos, but it's getting on to lunchtime. Your choice."

Rod Stafford
Dec 5th, 2007, 11:30:50 AM
His stomach lurched in protest.

"On second thought, the hot chocolate is enough."

For a moment, he stared into the mug and caught his own distorted reflection looking back at him. He frowned, he looked rough. Questions simmered in his hazy brain and one bubbled to the surface.

"What happened after we got out?"

Fiona Devlin
Dec 5th, 2007, 11:41:15 AM
"Stepping sideways again was too much for you. You've been asleep all this time. The wyrmhowlers we slew were only an advance for the rest of the hive. We know where they've been coming from now, at least."

Rod Stafford
Dec 5th, 2007, 11:59:03 AM
He shook his head.

"The Umbra is not for me," he said darkly.

His memory of the place was sketchy: bright colours, strange shapes, deep resounding sounds, and nothing felt right; it was like his centre of gravity had been relocated, his head felt like it was swimming and worst of all, his art was a mess there.

"I don't know what I'd have done without you. I've never seen you like that before. You were... something else."

Fiona Devlin
Dec 5th, 2007, 12:11:54 PM
:: Fiona blushed, in total contrast to her demeanor the previous night. She had been wild, naked, and soaked in the blood of her enemies. A throwback to the age of Celtic Britain. Now she stood timidly in front of Rod, hiding her face in girlish fashion ::

"It was nothing." she mewed. ^_^;

Rod Stafford
Dec 5th, 2007, 06:57:52 PM
"Oh, it was something, Fiona."

The tone in his voice was gravely serious. He watched her with curious eyes like a scientist examining something he didn't understand for the first time. He glanced down at his wounds with revulsion.

"Without my tricks I'm mincemeat."

Fiona Devlin
Dec 5th, 2007, 07:08:09 PM
:: Her silly grin faded and she sat down ::

"This was unexpected. I'm very sorry, Rene."

Rod Stafford
Dec 6th, 2007, 07:35:36 AM
His expression softened.

"You don't need to appologised. I'm thinking about the future and if there are more of them to come, I need to be better prepared."

Fiona Devlin
Dec 6th, 2007, 07:44:11 AM
"Aye." she nodded. "as soon as you're healed up."

:: Fiona stepped into the kitchen to make herself some food ::

Rod Stafford
Dec 6th, 2007, 07:53:48 AM
"Oh, and speaking of healing," he called to her, "I noticed that a wound which should've left me hospitalised and under an operating table is healing up faster than that Wolverine person."

He stood slowly and grunted.

"You wouldn't have anything to do with that, right, Mrs. Merlin?"

Fiona Devlin
Dec 6th, 2007, 08:00:55 AM
"I do know a bit." She replied. "Are you sure you aren't hungry?"

Rod Stafford
Dec 7th, 2007, 03:47:16 PM
"I'm fine."

He saw Perc plod into the kitchen and followed him. He stood in the doorway.

"Last night, was that Nara?"

Fiona Devlin
Dec 8th, 2007, 09:51:46 AM
:: Fiona nodded as she nibbled on a wedge of cheese ::

"Thank the Stag she found us."

Rod Stafford
Dec 8th, 2007, 01:55:39 PM
"Yes," he said absently, deep in thought.

"I hope we see her again soon. I'd like to thank her."

He finished off the hot chocolate and washed the mug in the sink. He then leaned against the work top and watched Fiona preparing food. His fingers slipped inside the gauze and bandaging on his chest, and he carefully prized it away to get a glimpse of the damage.

"So what does all this mean for you now? You're something of a sheriff in Chicago, right?"

Fiona Devlin
Dec 8th, 2007, 02:12:58 PM
:: She smiled over at Rod as she scrambled some eggs and poured them in the skillet ::

"Something like that. I confess I've grown quite fond of Chicago."

:: She grew deadly serious as she gave him her full attention ::

"The Black Spiral Dancers that attacked us belong to the Guttolic Hive. I helped drive them out of this city during the war, thirteen years ago. This time I think, we finish it. Slay them to the last."

Rod Stafford
Dec 8th, 2007, 02:27:35 PM
He grimaced at the sight beneath his bandages. Then when Fiona spoke of the Black Spiral Dancers, the gauze snapped back into place and Rod looked up. She spoke with such determination and conviction that Rod was left a little cold. This alternatively, could've been due to the fact that he was still walking around topless. He wanted to nod in agreement but the thought of those beasts in greater numbers kept him still.

"How do we do that?"

Fiona Devlin
Dec 8th, 2007, 02:38:42 PM
"Nara is at the Fanum now, giving her account of what we found to the Elders. I'll head over once Michele gets home."

:: She quickly turned her attention to cooking again, adding sausage and peppers to the skillet ::

Rod Stafford
Dec 8th, 2007, 02:41:47 PM
"How can I help?" he asked, somewhat deflated.

Fiona Devlin
Dec 8th, 2007, 02:50:50 PM
"You focus on healing up first. I'll have need of you then. The wyrmhowlers are only a piece of the problem."

Rod Stafford
Dec 10th, 2007, 03:05:06 PM
"I hope it's the biggest piece! What else is there?"

Fiona Devlin
Dec 10th, 2007, 03:20:58 PM
"Someone inside the Camarilla is a Sabbat Conspirator, very high up. Things are going from bad to worse, and I still don't know how that damn Redcap fit in."

Rod Stafford
Dec 11th, 2007, 02:25:47 PM
"Vampires. I hate vampires."

He sighed and folded his arms.

"But I bet you're bestest of best friends with at least a dozen blood-suckers."

Fiona Devlin
Dec 11th, 2007, 02:35:05 PM
:: Fiona raised a brow at Rod as she wrapped her omelette in a flour tortilla ::

"Not quite as many as you think, but there are a few I've grown close to."

Rod Stafford
Dec 11th, 2007, 02:43:58 PM
"And it doesn't at all bother you that they're out there in the night dining on innocent sleepers? And when they're not, they're embracing them into a damned existence."

Fiona Devlin
Dec 11th, 2007, 02:57:51 PM
:: Her jaw dropped slightly at the insinuation ::

"It just so happens it does. I've slain the most loathsome kindred to ever set foot in this city, and the community has been skittish about me ever since. I choose my friends carefully, Rene."

Rod Stafford
Dec 11th, 2007, 03:15:55 PM
"I'm sorry, this isn't about you," he said, waving her off.

"I just don't like them. I was around a few in London; pompous, arrogant little gits."

He winced again and clutched his side. His frown fell back into place and he skulked out of the room.

"If we need to negotiate with them, I'd rather do mine with a stake than words."

Fiona Devlin
Dec 11th, 2007, 03:51:39 PM
:: Her eyes narrowed as he turned his back. There was a beat of silence before she reacted ::

"Rene Galanis!!! Don't Turn Your Back On Me!!!"

Rod Stafford
Dec 11th, 2007, 04:07:31 PM
He turned and looked at her with the same indignation as a child who firmly believes, in spite of the reprimand, they have done no wrong. He shrugged.

"What?"

Fiona Devlin
Dec 11th, 2007, 04:14:05 PM
"The world isn't black and white. It's not that simple. There are powers in play here that are older than I am."

:: Her eyes softened, to plead with him ::

"Please, you have to trust me."

Rod Stafford
Dec 11th, 2007, 05:01:05 PM
"I do trust you. I just don't trust vampires," he said, frankly.

Fiona looked at him in a curious way, like she was considering him. Rod softened under her gaze.

"Alright, I know there are shades of grey, and I'm sure somewhere out there there's a half decent vamp, I just haven't met him."

He gave her a carefree smile.

"Please don't eat me!"

Fiona Devlin
Dec 11th, 2007, 05:08:01 PM
:: She was nibbling at her fingertips when he said it, and it made her laugh. She went back into the kitchen to fetch her lunch ::

Rod Stafford
Jan 7th, 2008, 02:52:32 PM
Content that the tension had been defused, Rod retreated into the living room. He stood at the balcony doors and surveyed the urban panorama. A distant flock of birds dispersed in the sky, and he watched their dark shapes speckle the grey sky while his mind wandered. He thought of Sansa.