PDA

View Full Version : How many people asked this?

Bloodcrest
Dec 1st, 2007, 04:58:29 PM
What the heck does a hyperdrive leak?

Where this question comes from: Me and my older brother were watching Episode I: Phantom Menace and we got to the part where the Jedi and the Queen have just escaped Naboo the first time and are headed toward Tatooine. During the run of the blockade, the pilot mentions in a slightly alarmed voice that the hyperdrive is leaking.

My brother caught on first. Somewhere in his mind, he connected that line with the fact that there are very few things a hyperdrive can leak and every one of them is VERY BAD. Obviously, in the movie, there are no serious side effects, but when I looked up what was known about the hyperdrive systems, I came to the conclusion that what happened was not what should have happened if the hyperdrive was leaking ANYTHING at all.

So did anyone else notice this line? And if you have an answer, please share.

Note: we laughed our butts off when we realized the implications of the line.

So...anyone know what a hyperdrive leaks?

Karl Valten
Dec 1st, 2007, 06:17:27 PM
Hmmm, I'd have one of three guesses (2 of which depend on the type of hyperdrive).

1)Coolant
2)Radiation
2)Antimatter

Since the Nubian cruiser didn't leave a trail of massive explosions, I'd have to guess one of the first two.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:43:09 PM
I think it'd be coolant, myself. Or skittles.

Karl Valten
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:50:46 PM
Oooo, skittles as coolant. Tasty and efficient

Bloodcrest
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:57:25 PM
Hmmm, I'd have one of three guesses (2 of which depend on the type of hyperdrive).

1)Coolant
2)Radiation
2)Antimatter

Since the Nubian cruiser didn't leave a trail of massive explosions, I'd have to guess one of the first two.

Okay so antimatter is ruled out.
If it had been radiation, then it would have done one of two things I believe. Either A.) it was the kind of radiation that the hyperdrive uses to create the hyperspace bubble the ship travels in or B.) it would have been some kind of radiation that would have probably been harmful to anyone near it.

As we later see the Jedi standing next to it, I would guess it would not be harmful.

A is a possibility though and could explain why not only did they need a new hyperdrive completely but also they were limited in range and were not able to go to Coruscant directly.

Coolant I can also see because then they would only be able to go so far before the thing overheated and slagged itself thus their need for a new hyperdrive.

I'd say coolant is probably the most likely because if it was a radiation leak, I'm sure they could have probably just fixed the leak and been done with it, but if it was coolant and the hyperdrive slagged itself, there would be no way around it.

Kinda like when you don't put water in your radiator and the engine block cracks...you're pretty much stuck with getting a new engine.

Freddie Tibodeaux
Dec 2nd, 2007, 01:35:47 AM
Is a hyperdrive based upon a matter annihilation system like warp drive in Star Trek? I thought it was more of a fusion sort of thing, in which case, it could be any flavor of heavy isotope I think.

Karl Valten
Dec 2nd, 2007, 02:17:37 PM
One type of hyperdrive is, the more standard gathers gamma radiation, passes it through a fusion core, and emits and altered form the distorts time-space in order in boost the ship into hyperspace.

Eluna Thals
Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:42:42 PM
So yeah if we're talking about fusion, then a leak is entirely feasable.

Jedieb
Dec 14th, 2007, 11:31:42 AM
I think it leaked it common sense.

Rev Solomon
Dec 15th, 2007, 09:04:28 PM
Probably not nearly as bad as what a probability drive would leak.

Samantha Koortyn
Dec 18th, 2007, 01:06:19 PM
George Lucas' brain was leaking throughout most of that film.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 18th, 2007, 02:04:46 PM

I'm not sure if you meant it to, but this made me laugh hysterically :)

Cat X
Dec 19th, 2007, 10:45:06 PM

Needs a good hot cup of tea

Drin Kizael
Dec 23rd, 2007, 03:49:57 PM
Ahh George Lucas... LOL. The man who gave us a veteran starship pilot who bragged about the speed of his ship as a measure of distance; who had that same ship somehow fly between solar systems in a matter of ... hours? days? months? without the aid of trans-light speed.

Yeah he sure did his research on engineering and astronomy before breaking out the typewriter. :)

We all know that he could care less about the science part of science fiction. He gave as much thought to the schematics of a hyperdrive as he did to the idea of the Rebels hanging around for a full dress ceremony under the wreckage of the Death Star. :D

Mocking aside (and I do love to mock ol' George's writing prowess)... don't try to think too hard about the idea of hyperspace in terms of what we know about physics and generating power in the 21st century. For concepts like breaking the 4th dimension into hyperspace, you have to turn to cosmology theory like you get from guys like Burkhart Heim and Stephen Hawking.

Generating the power is probably done through something more like a magnetic coil, not a nuclear reaction. So whatever leaks doesn't even necessarily have to be radioative. :) Of all of Lucas' many tech gaffs, making a hyperdrive as easy to fix as replacing the carburator is the least of them.

Yog
Dec 26th, 2007, 02:25:00 PM
^^ well said!

Leaking hyperdrives? Nothing that good ol' hydrospanner can't fix! A 270 degree clockwise twist on the flux capacitor fuel valve and you're good to go.

Hartus Kenobi
Dec 29th, 2007, 11:24:55 PM
Hyperdrive runs on high self-esteem. Which is why the phrase that his hyperdrive is leaking was so moving and heart-wrenching.

Yuri Thrice
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:02:41 PM
Not to mention, it doesn't take genius to stuff a midget into an oversized and fancy trashcan. I had people in high school who could do it blindfolded, and they weren't geniuses either....