PDA

View Full Version : Knock Knock

Rod Stafford
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:03:05 PM
After the meeting, he bought coffee in one of the busy diners populating downtown Chicago. He pulled out a stool from under a narrow bench and took his seat looking out onto the bustling street. He sipped the piping hot drink, the steam curled above the cup and clouded the window before him. He saw his reflection.

He wore a charcoal suit and a grey shirt. The cumbersome tie was stashed away in his briefcase. His hair was neat and his face clean-shaven. He frowned, drank from his cup and looked beyond the glass. Cars besieged the roads and people swarmed the pavements. They were all smartly dressed. The women carried tiny handbags and wore shoes with high heels. He glanced down at his feet; the black new leather winked white from the overhead lights.

Fifteen minutes passed, he drained his cup dry and promptly left the diner, spilling out with the rest of the punters into the crisp autumn air. He was lucky in flagging a cab but not so fortunate in that he was about to spend the next twenty minutes in rush hour traffic.

"The Atelier, please," he said to the driver.

The last leg of the journey was free of deadlock, and the cab rolled up outside The Atelier as the dark blue dusk inked the evening sky. It was a handsome building, spotlights cast stretching shadows across its ornate facade. His shoes made a satisfying click on the marble floor as he crossed the foyer to the elevator. A rather plump, middle-aged woman joined him.

"Which floor?" he asked, smiling.

"Third," she said.

He pressed the button for the third floor and then the sixth. Both lit up and the elevator came to life. Once the woman was gone, he checked himself in one of the mirrored panels on the elevator's interior. He unbottoned his shirt at the collar, tugged gently at the cuffs and straightened his jacket. He turned to face the door, cleared his throat and rubbed his shoes against the back of his trousers. The elevator came to a stop with a ding. The doors parted and he made his way down the hall until he came to Room 611. He stared at the burgundy door.

"Okay."

He took a deep breath and knocked.

Fiona Devlin
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:16:44 PM
:: Fiona answered the door, dressed in simple jeans and t-shirt. She stared at him in complete suprise ::

"Rene??? Oh my god, is it you???"

Rod Stafford
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:23:07 PM
"In the flesh," he said.

The suprise on Fiona's face pleased him. He grinned, leaned forward and placed his free hand gently on her arm, he kissed her cheek in greeting.

"It's good to see you again, Fiona."

Fiona Devlin
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:39:13 PM
"Good to see you!" she cooed, tugging him inside by the hands. She took a step back so she could look at him.

"The boy from Leicester ... a sharp dressed man." :D

Rod Stafford
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:54:22 PM
"It had to happen to happen sooner or later."

He put his briefcase down and held his arms up a little so he could turn on the spot. It felt a little odd.

"I can't say I'm completely convinced in this yet but I'm glad to have your approval. At least its warmer than a kilt," he said, with a wink.

Fiona Devlin
Nov 7th, 2007, 07:56:40 PM
:: Fiona chuckled ::

"Can I get you a drink?"

Rod Stafford
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:01:34 PM
"Coffee, please. You've turned me into an addict."

He picked up his briefcase and followed Fiona down the hall to the kitchen, noting on the way that some of the artwork had changed. Fiona had exquisite taste.

"Is Michelle home?"

Michele Hawkins
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:24:44 PM
The sound of a guest caught my little curious ears as I was in the middle of sword practice. I set down my Colada inside its case and grab a towel to dry off my face. When it fell away from my eyes, I saw a suit with a Rod!

I wasn't sure what I was more surprised to see. Rod OR the suit, but gleeee!!!

"YOU'RE BACK!!!" I quickly shortened the distance and wrapped my arms around his neck and a big hug. I kinda sorta practically tackled the man!

Fiona Devlin
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:41:21 PM
:: Fiona grinned at the reunion as she reached for the Arabian Mocha and poured some beans in the grinder ::

Rod Stafford
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:58:41 PM
When Michelle charged him, Rod attempted to mentally consult his Guide to America's Modern Gentleman: To-Do's and Taboos but she was already on top of him. He dropped his briefcase, fortunately no feet were harmed, and clumsily wrapped his arms around her. He patted her back gently, feeling a little sheepish.

"Michelle!" he mumbled, the movement of his jaw somewhat obstructed in the tight embrace. "Great to see you."

They untangled themselves and he inspected her with a huge smile.

"Well, you look fighting fit!" he said, impressed, and nodded at Fiona. "Has old Iron Jaw been running you ragged?"

Michele Hawkins
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:02:16 PM
"Iron Jaw?" I blinked, confused. "Huh, you mean Fi?"

I look over at her with a sheepish grin. "I think she has more of a glass jaw with the way she takes a punch!"

Oh yes, how can we forget the time I was learning how to fight and punched her right in the face. She fell down like a sack of potatoes. I flex my well defined bicep at her and wink.

Fiona Devlin
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:08:41 PM
"I can hear you!" she shot back at them as she sliced some spice cake.

Rod Stafford
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:05:22 PM
"And we're full of nothing but praise for you," he said brightly.

The warm smell of fresh coffee laced the air. While Fiona finished pottering about in the kitchen, Rod helped himself to a seat. He sighed with relief.

"Well, you both look very well. How have things been while I've been away?"

Michele Hawkins
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:11:21 PM
"Um, well ... kinda hectic around here. We've got freeloaders." I refer to Brigid, Nara and the new boy Trevor. I swear we should be charging rent with everyone around.

Fiona Devlin
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:27:49 PM
"Aye. I gave Brigid the penthouse across the hall and she's not bought a lick of furniture yet."

Rod Stafford
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:38:08 PM
"Who's Brigid?" Rod asked, looking from Michelle to Fiona.

He had a sudden sinking feeling in his stomach, he had given them no notice of his visit and simply turned up at the door. The last thing he wanted was to become another freeloader. He rapped his fingers on his knees nervously as he waited for Fiona to join them.

"You mentioned there was more than one?"

Michele Hawkins
Nov 16th, 2007, 10:05:27 AM
"Brigid's like us. Immortal, and a long time friend and student of Fiona's. We also have a pet puppy named Nara." I chuckle and pick up Perc to nuzzle his face with my nose. "She's Garou."

Fiona Devlin
Nov 16th, 2007, 10:26:48 AM
:: Fiona served them at the table, giving Michele a funny look ::

"Pet puppy? Don't let Nara ever catch you saying that." :p

Rod Stafford
Nov 16th, 2007, 10:37:11 AM
"A werewolf?" he said, sounding alarmed.

He straightened up, his head turned from Michelle to Fiona and back again. Their expressions were serious. His voice carried a hint of concern.

"You're associating with werewolves? Don't you think that's a bit dangerous?"

Michele Hawkins
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:02:21 PM
"Nara's a gentle soul once you get past the rough exterior," I say in defense of my friend. "And her band is awesome!"

Fiona Devlin
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:08:16 PM
:: Fiona nodded in agreement with Michele ::

"I've known the garou for centuries, Rene. In that time I've established close ties with a few of the tribes."

Rod Stafford
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:28:47 PM
"Okay, as long as you're sure," he said, not sounding sure.

He took his coffee from the table and cradled it in his hands. The warmth from the cup made his palms clammy. He drank.

"Ah! That's good!" he sighed, "I've heard America runs off this stuff."

As he took a second sip, he glanced up and caught Fiona's eyes. He remembered something and put his coffee on the table.

"Listen, I owe you an apology," he started, and turned to Michelle.

"Both of you. I shouldn't have left the way I did, and after all you'd done for me, you deserved better than that. I'm sorry."

Michele Hawkins
Nov 19th, 2007, 05:06:37 PM
"Aw!" I toss Perc to the floor and wrap my arms around Rod's neck. "It's ok. We forgive you this time, but if you do it again, you're gonna have to be my practice dummy!" :D

I give Fi a wink. "Right?"

Fiona Devlin
Nov 19th, 2007, 05:13:23 PM
"You said it." ;) she winked back.

Rod Stafford
Nov 19th, 2007, 05:48:46 PM
"It won't happen again," he said, stiffly patting Michelle on her arm until she relinquished her stranglehold. In his absence, he'd forgotten how physical they were and he'd have to get used to it. He grinned in spite of himself. They were both incredibly attractive women.

"Chicago is my home now," he began after righting himself on the couch, "I have friends here and... I have a job."

My grinned, thoroughly pleased with himself.

Michele Hawkins
Nov 19th, 2007, 05:52:47 PM
"Ooooooh!" I came around and took a seat next to Rod so I can get all the juice details! "What're you going to be doing?!"

Fiona Devlin
Nov 19th, 2007, 05:59:58 PM
:: Fiona followed and took a seat across from them ::

Rod Stafford
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:20:01 PM
"I'm going to be reporting for the Chicago Tribune, that's a local newspaper."

He lifted the briefcase into his lap and opened it. To each, he ceremoniously handed a copy of the newspaper and his résumé.

"I'd been to the interview just before I came here," he smiled nervously and asked, "What do you think?"

Michele Hawkins
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:09:43 PM
The Trib?" I couldn't believe it. Backwards Rod with his archaic thought patterns and horrible dress got a job at the prestigious newspapers in the city!!! "THE Trib!!!"

I squeal like a girl, my bad. Sorry. I don't normally do that! "That's awesome!!! But ... but how?! You need some serious credentials to land a job like that!"

Fiona Devlin
Nov 20th, 2007, 02:05:02 PM
:: Fiona was momentarily startled by the squeal, then her cheeks puffed in disbelief as she looked over the resume. The only word able to escape her mouth was ... ::

"RENE!!!"

Rod Stafford
Nov 20th, 2007, 02:18:08 PM
"What?" he asked innocently. No longer could he maintain eye contact with Fiona so he quickly turned to Michelle.

"Well obviously a few of the details about my education and employment history have been embelished here and there."

He pulled a third copy of his résumé from the briefcase and waved his hand over it casually. He had prepared himself for this conversation.

"What was I supposed to do? Tell the truth?" he retorted defensively, noting the expression on Fiona's face. He started rumaging through the briefcase once more, mumbling.

"Besides, it's not like I'm the first person to tell a couple of little white lies at a job interview."

His head popped up from behind the briefcase, his face filled with enthusiasm.

"Would you like to see the articles from my stint at the New York Times?"

Michele Hawkins
Nov 26th, 2007, 08:21:31 AM
"Um ... Fi?" Fiona was upset. That meant that Rod used some fibbing skills to get his job. But he did have a point. The guy's from the fricking Middle Ages. What kinda resume is knowing how to use magic and brush a horse?

"He does kinda have a point ya know."

Fiona Devlin
Nov 26th, 2007, 08:43:42 AM
"Okay, okay." she smiled, and gave him a hug. It was too hard not to adore him.

Rod Stafford
Nov 26th, 2007, 10:12:31 AM
"Thank you," he said, returning the hug.

When they parted he closed his briefcase with a double click and put it on the ground. Now he slouched a little.

"So it looks like you'll be seeing a lot more of me now that I'm taking up residence in Chicago. Don't worry, I've no intention of becoming another free-loader."

Michelle drank her coffee and as she did, something sparkled brilliantly on her finger. It was a ring.

"Ooh, Michelle, nice bling!"

He leaned closer, recognised the design and nodded his approval.

"A gift from Fiona, no doubt."

Michele Hawkins
Nov 26th, 2007, 10:21:43 AM
He just said bling! How cute! :D

"Yes I did." I smile and hold it out so he can take a better look at it then before. "Best part is .." I lean down with a big crap eating grin on my face, "She proposed to me too!!!"

Fiona Devlin
Nov 26th, 2007, 10:28:51 AM
:: Fiona blushed brightly, recalling the events that led up to the moment, and hid her face as she sipped her coffee ::

Rod Stafford
Nov 26th, 2007, 10:46:26 AM
"Proposed what?" Rod asked blankly.

Fiona's face was hidden behind a cup and Michelle simply smiled at him as if waiting for something. And that was when the penny dropped. His face lit up.

"Ohhhhhh," he said in the manner of someone suddenly privvy to a fascinating secret. He smiled at Michelle and then at Fiona. There was a moments pause and that was when the penny really dropped.

"OHHHHHHH!!"

His face full of dawning wonder, he jumped to his feet and took Michelle by the hand and pulled her to her feet and into a great big hug.

"Congratulations!" he cried.

Michele Hawkins
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:10:51 AM
When the lightbulb went on over Rod's head I laugh and hug him tightly. "You came back at such a good time!"

I pull him back and cup both of his cheeks, "You can come to the wedding!"

My jubulance spills over as I look towards Fi for confirmation. "Right?"

Fiona Devlin
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:28:13 AM
"Of course! He's family." :)

Rod Stafford
Nov 27th, 2007, 04:19:03 PM
"Come 'ere you!"

He leaned forward and effortlessly scooped Fiona into a hug. He held her tight, his chin resting on her head. Swelling in his chest there was a quiet joy, now doing cartwheels, having heard himself referred to as family.

"Oh, you two!"

He put his arm around Michelle and pulled her in close. He gave them both a squeaze before releasing them.

"So, when is the big day?"

Michele Hawkins
Nov 29th, 2007, 05:57:35 PM
"Oh, um ..." I chew on my bottom lip and blush. "We haven't really talked about that yet."

Me and Fi kinda just like the notion of being engaged ya know!

Fiona Devlin
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:13:04 PM
:: Fiona mirrored Michele's blush ::

"So much has been going on."

:: She gave her love a snurfle before sitting in her lap ::

Rod Stafford
Nov 30th, 2007, 06:16:01 AM
"I see," said Rod, a little lost for words.

He felt a pang of guilt at their discomfort and quickly slumped back into his seat. Then something sparked his imagination and he turned to them, curious.

"What has been going on, you know, in our world? No more Baali business, I hope."

Michele Hawkins
Dec 3rd, 2007, 05:10:54 PM
"Yes, thank god that is over with!" I sigh and shake my head. "The only good thing to come outta that was riding the horses into battle."

I glare over at Fiona. "Never one to miss out on a grand entrance this one is."

Fiona Devlin
Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:23:59 PM
:: She looked back at Michele in amusement ::

"You know you loved it." ;)

:: She stood proudly ::

"We sent a few heads rolling before they all got sucked back through the gate."

Rod Stafford
Jan 7th, 2008, 02:44:46 PM
"As you do," Rod said, raising his coffee cup to them in a casual toast.

"Well, that's the past. I have to admit, the future has me excited. My next big step is securing a pad of my own."

He took a sip of his coffee and continued quite conversationally.

"You know, a cozy place where I can invite all the beautiful women of Chicago. Rod Stafford's Palace of Love."

He winked at them and raised his cup again.

"Here's to 'coffee'!"

Michele Hawkins
Jan 7th, 2008, 03:35:58 PM
What the hell? I didn't hear that right, hahahahaha!

"Rod's pad of love?" I give Rod a wink. "Chicago doesn't have a chance!"

Oh this is too much! :lol He is so adorable.