PDA

View Full Version : The Second Strangest Day of my Life

Trevor Smokey
Nov 5th, 2007, 03:14:15 PM
The morning held a crisp chill as the pair paced along the streets of Chicago. Trevor, now with clothes that fit him, adourned a thick, black woollen coat, jeans and black leather shoes, along with a cigarette protruding from his lips, the red, glowing tip almost shining the dull light.

Yesterday, the Brit had become an immortal. Now destined to walk to earth until being beheaded, Trevor was taking to his new role with relative calmness. There were no family or friends to leave behind, no life that he lusted for that had been left behind. All of that was abandoned long ago, when he had fled to America from his homeland in search of a fresh start. He never expected, 3 years in, to find a start just as fresh as this.

Plucking the cigarette from his mouth, Trevor blew a plume of grey smoke into the air before looking down to Brigid.

"So, where's this place you're taking me darl'? Not too far I hope."

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 5th, 2007, 03:36:37 PM
:: She stopped at the corner of North Sheridan & Bryn Mawr in front of a six story building ::

"Nope. This is the place."

:: The cornerpiece of the building was unusual, evoking the feel of a castle tower ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 5th, 2007, 03:43:43 PM
Trevor's eyes wandered up the building, and he nodded in approval.

"Not bad. Not bad at all."

Taking a final inhale, he dropped his cigarette to the ground and stamped it out, before pushing the glass doors and heading inside, holding them open and Brigid headed in.

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 5th, 2007, 03:49:41 PM
:: They took the elevator, all the way up to the penthouse floor. It was at that moment, Trevor felt the buzz again. It was almost dizzying ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 5th, 2007, 03:55:18 PM
Trevor gripped the handrail tightly, his eyelids rising and falling as that strange sensation took hold of his mind once again. Leaning heavily on the rail, he grunted quietly, not even noticing as the elevator chimed and the doors slid open.

Fiona Devlin
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:07:17 PM
:: Trevor was led inside, where his eyes were overwhelmed by the splendor of the place. Fiona clearly reveled in the finer things in life, and she was waiting in the circular livingroom. As the pair entered, she was blissfully channeling Tori Amos as she played 'Space Dog' on the Alma Tadema Grand Piano ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:12:15 PM
Trevor stared around, his eyes flashing an awe at the place. The piano sang out across the room, and his gaze settled on the woman playing. She must have been Fiona. He waited quietly for the music to finish, not wishing to interupt. He wouldn't presume that everyone that owned a sword was as nice as Brigid.

Fiona Devlin
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:20:43 PM
:: She stopped, swinging around to gaze upon the new Immortal as Brigid disappeared into the kitchen ::

"Well, this is a suprise."

Trevor Smokey
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:25:00 PM
Trevor shuffled a little uneasily as Brigid left, his eyes meeting with Fiona.

"You're telling me. This time yesterday, I was still, well, normal" he chuckled softly, before offering a hand. "I'm Trevor Smokey. You must be Fiona?"

Fiona Devlin
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:27:27 PM
"Aye." she replied, walking over to give him a friendly handshake. She smiled as she took note of his accent.

"Essex?"

Trevor Smokey
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:32:40 PM
"Ah, yeah. I'd guess you're from over the pond too? However long ago that was." He released his grip on her slender hand. "You're Brigid's teacher I hear?"

Fiona Devlin
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:36:36 PM
"Aye. Cumbria."

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:36:43 PM
:: Brigid walked back in, taking her customary place on the leather couch with a bottle of Guiness ::

"Our boy needs a sword, Mom."

Trevor Smokey
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:40:18 PM
"Heh, that would be the truth of it" Trevor said, scratching the back of his head. "I'm not too keen on losing my head just yet."

Fiona Devlin
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:45:40 PM
"Of course not." she replied. "Follow me."

:: She gave Brigid's head a playful shove as she walked down the hall to the study ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:51:28 PM
Trevor jutted out his bottom lip as he followed, not really knowing what was going on. He still felt like a fish out of water. He was still taken aback by the decor in the hall, slowing down a little to admire it before speeding up to catch up with Fiona.

Michele Hawkins
Nov 6th, 2007, 01:44:09 PM
I spring from the bedroom and almost run into Brigid. "Sorry! Kinda running late for class!"

In the kitchen, I make some toast and guzzle down some orange juice that tasted a bit rancid since I just brushed my teeth. I love it!!!

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 6th, 2007, 02:23:32 PM
:: Brigid avoided collision at the last moment, leaning against the pantry door as she watched the whirlwind in motion ::

"We've got a new one, Kiddo."

Michele Hawkins
Nov 6th, 2007, 02:26:05 PM
My head turns, still chugging of course, with an inquisitive raised brow. I set down the carton and wipe away a drop of OJ from my lip. "New one what?"

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 6th, 2007, 02:32:14 PM
"Immortal. Fiona's with him in the study."

Michele Hawkins
Nov 6th, 2007, 02:38:24 PM
"What?! Is this becoming Immortal Central?!" I mean seriously. Four of us in one location is getting kinda nutty.

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 6th, 2007, 02:47:17 PM
"The guy woke up in the morgue last night. Cut him a little slack."

Fiona Devlin
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:54:27 AM
(IN THE STUDY)

:: Fiona took a seat at her desk and invited Trevor to sit ::

"I'm going to set up a place for you to stay. There's a church nearby that needs a groundskeeper."

Trevor Smokey
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:57:45 AM
"Sounds promising, I guess" Trevor replied, pulling off his coat to reveal a simple, grey t-shirt, before sitting down opposite Fiona.

"I appreciate it. That and the fact you havn't tried to lop my head off. One thing though. How easy is it going to be for others to find me?"

Fiona Devlin
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:05:59 AM
"It's Holy Ground. Sanctuary from anyone that comes looking for you."

:: She laughed at his demeanor ::

"Everyone deserves a fair start. You've sensed a few of us already. It works both ways."

Trevor Smokey
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:08:36 AM
"Good point."

Speaking of points, Trevor would be sure to make one of finding out more about the "Holy Ground" comment Fiona had just made at some other time. He asked his next question almost hesitantly.

"...what's it like? Living for so long?"

Fiona Devlin
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:15:30 AM
:: She mused over the question a moment before answering ::

"Wondrous and Horrific."

:: Reaching for a set of keys, she walked over to a cabinet and unlocked it ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:20:23 AM
It was an interesting answer, to say the least.

Trevor's eyes flashed as the cabinet opened, revealing a wide array of swords. Despite what she had just said, was Fiona going to remove his nod anyway? Bah, he was just nervous.

"Nice collection" he spoke up. "You got quite an eye for this stuff."

Fiona Devlin
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:38:53 AM
:: She picked one out of the cabinet, and presented it to him ::

"It's an Iberian Falcata. Take good care of it. It's your lifeline now."

Trevor Smokey
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:47:14 AM
Trevor stood up, taking the blade from Fiona and drawing it from its sheath with his left hand.

It was an anceint weapon, but still strong. The blade curved forward, almost making it an axe, which was fine with Trevor, who wasn't really the patron saint of grace. The handle was wooden, imbued with golden decoration and a dragon head at the end of the curved handle.

Turning away, he swiped a few times with the weapon. The end was weighty, and would be powerful upon impact, along with being an agile, one-handed weapon. With practise, Trevor could grow to like the blade very much indeed.

Turning back to Fiona, he sheathed the sword and offered a warm smile.

"Thanks. Thanks a lot" he said. "Is there anything you want from me?"

Fiona Devlin
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:50:56 AM
:: She smiled ::

"That's about it. I'll have your papers ready by this evening."

:: They made their way back to the living room, just in time to see Michele hurry out the door ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 11:25:25 AM
Things were certainly turning out a lot better than Trevor had imagined when he forst woke up in that body bag.

Entering the libing room, he raised a brow as the door shut, his eyes darting between Fiona and Brigid.

"Uh...friend of yours?"

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:07:50 PM
"That's Michele. You'll meet her later."

Fiona Devlin
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:08:29 PM
:: Fiona nodded, and likewise made her exit ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:12:16 PM
Trevor's gaze rested on Brigid, and he lifted the sword to show her.

"This was unexpected. I ain't exactly, adept in the ways of swordfighting though. I better get practising, eh?"

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:26:46 PM
"Follow me."

:: She led him into the training room, fully equipped with mirrors, floor mats, a balance beam, heavy bag, martial arts equipment and fitness machines ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:30:10 PM
"Cor, blimey!" Trevor yelped as they entered the room. "This woman has EVERYTHING!"

Of course, Trevor was no stranger to the gym. Training for the secret service meant keeping your body in shape. He'd never seen something like this is someone's own home before though.

"This how you all keep fit then?"

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:46:55 PM
"Yep."

:: She took her boots off and stepped on to the mats ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 12:58:40 PM
"I 'spose we're starting straight away then..." Trevor replied, slipping off his shoes and following Brigid to the mats. "Will I need this yet?" he asked, holding the sheathed Falcata up in one hand.

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 01:07:07 PM
"Not yet. I want to see what you've got without it."

:: She stretched her legs and waited ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 01:11:09 PM
"A hell of a lot more than what I've got with it" he retorted, placing the sword by his shoes before returning to the mats. He stretched his arms, before clicking his neck and shaking his legs loose. Hopping up and down a few times, he clenched his hands into fists and stood slightly side-on, leading with his right. Sure, she only had the body of a young woman, but no doubt she had a few tricks up her sleeve.

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 01:23:31 PM
:: She flashed a crooked smile as she mimicked his moves, than shifted to a karate stance ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 01:32:33 PM
Never really one for hesitation, Trevor advanced, remaining side on. Upon moving within a few feet of Brigid, his hands moved quickly, testing her. He let fly a few right jabs, before following with a swift left hook.

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 01:41:34 PM
:: Brigid maintained a defense, encouraging him to become more aggressive in his efforts. Then she caught his arm and executed a judo hip throw ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 01:45:49 PM
Trevor wailed like a madman as Brigid flipped him over, grunting as he hit the floor. With a puff, he rolled backwards, then clambered to his feet. Jogging on the spot, he began to move his feet more nimbly, moving back towards Brigid with a series of well spotted shots towards her stomach and head.

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 01:49:34 PM
:: Brigid dropped her guard deliberatley, allowing herself to take the full brunt of Trevor's punches ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 01:53:36 PM
"Such a strange move for someone so old..."

Trevor moved in closer, taking snatching up one of Brigid's arms and sweeping her feet in an attempt to fring her face-down on the ground, a technique he'd used against many a criminal in the past. He found his left hand reaching for non-existant cuffs as he tried to take the immortal down.

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 01:59:25 PM
:: Brigid gave a chuckle as she coughed, then found herself flat on her belly as Trevor pinned her to the floor, arms behind her back ::

"So you were a cop."

:: She grunted as he put his weight on her ::

"I knew it." :p

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:02:23 PM
Trevor laughed with his mouth closed, giving a deep, throaty sound as he did so.

"Consider yourself arrested" he teased, before releasing his grip and straightening up, allowing his teacher to recouperate.

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:08:36 PM
:: She sat up, and pointed to the bokken set behind him ::

"Now we get started with swords."

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:12:14 PM
"Ah...I was afraid you were gonna say that" Trevor sighed, before turning and scooping up the wooden sword. Giving it a few swipes in hope of gaining an better feel for the weapon, he turned to Brigid again.

"You've got your work cut out here love."

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:17:49 PM
"Don't call me that again. It might get you killed."

:: She picked up the other bokken, peering at the empty doorway a moment before warming up ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:24:40 PM
Trevor shut his trap, taking firm grip of the handle with his left fist. The Falcata Fiona had given him had room for only one hand, and it seemed only fitting that he practise that way.

Standing side-on, he held the sword horizontally before him, not noticing his teacher's glace towards the doorway, and outstretched his right hand for balance. As soon as Brigid was ready, Trevor advanced with a solid swipe aimed downwards at her left shoulder.

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:32:37 PM
:: Brigid spun, deflecting the cut as she passed behind him. Her bokken came to rest firmly against the back of his neck ::

"The first thing you learn about a sword, it's not a stick."

:: She ran the length of her bokken across his neck in a 'mock cut', then stepped back ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:37:05 PM
Trevor was eager to learn, but it was still hard to take instruction from someone who only looked 19. He had to keep reminding himself she was so much older.

"Alright alright. Less bashy, more slashy?" he said, laughing very slightly.

Throwing a few swipes to the side, he readied himself again, before advancing with two upward, diagonal slashes, as if he were drawing the figure 8 on its side.

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:46:55 PM
:: She stepped in after the second upward slash, using his momentum to disarm him with a circular motion. As he stood weaponless, she brought her bokken down upon his neck again and held it there ::

"Better, but sloppy."

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:58:07 PM
"Two deaths in the space of two minutes. I'm impressed with this immortal thing" he jested as he retrieved his weapon.

Returning to the same place, Trevor concentrated, breathing deeply. His eyes met Brigid's for a second as his grip tightened. With quick movements, the Brit advanced with sharp, swift swipes, closer to his core and more controlled. The bokkens clashed a few times, before Trevor stepped back, light on his feet, and lunged forward with a thrust.

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:09:37 PM
:: Brigid defended with a sidestep uppercut block, keeping her bokken tight against her body. The third 'fatal' neck slice came swiftly after ::

"Now I'll show you the right way."

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:13:04 PM
Trevor rolled his eyes at himself as he was defeated again, stepping off a few feet and turning to face Brigid again.

"I'm all ears."

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:26:17 PM
:: The rest of the lesson was slowly paced and repetitive. It involved correct stance & footwork, proper handling of the bokken, and practicing only a few basic cuts over and over again ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:33:23 PM
Trevor struggled through the next few hours, to say the least. He'd never handled such a weapon. A gun and a baton, sure, he could handle them fine. But a sword required a considerably different skill, which the Brit was not building up from scratch. On the bright side, he had a hell of a long time to master the blade.

Liquid beads had settled on his face, and his tee was adourned with patches of sweat. His chest rose and fell heavily, his breathing deep and laboured.

"I need a drink" he pleaded, waving his hand. "Can we take a break?"

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:38:38 PM
"Sure."

:: She set her bokken aside and tossed him a towel ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:45:03 PM
Trevor wiped himself down, slinging the towel over his shoulder as he poured himself a cup of water from the machine against the wall. Gulping down the drink in one go, he re-filled, before turning back to Brigid.

"So, what am I? Horrendous, or just plain useless?" he said, his laugh echoing in the cup as he lifted the cup to his lips again. "Fiona said something about holy ground earlier, said I'd be safe in the church I'm going to look after. What'd she mean by that?" he enquired.

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:49:31 PM
"You'll get better." she replied. "What Fiona told you is right. None of us will fight on Holy Ground. It's one of our rules."

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:00:49 PM
"There are rules? Well, that makes things sound better" Trevor said, somewhat relieved. He'd never been a holy man, but suddenly a church sounded like a very good place to be.

Finishing his drink, he tossed the plastic cup into the bin and returned to Brigid.

"So what's with this place? Open to all immortals or something? Seems very 'open doors'."

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:11:57 PM
"Not open doors exactly. Fiona's just generous. She gave me the penthouse across the hall. One of these days I'll actually get settled in."

:: She laughed ::

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:26:22 PM
"A whole penthouse!? Lucky you" he grinned. He was in no doubt of Fiona's generosity. Already she'd given him a weapon and a safe place to stay. "So, what do I do if someone recognises me? I suppose you don't really have to worry about it, but, I mean, I was 'alive' yesterday."

Brigid Cassidy
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:36:00 PM
"I suggest laying low until after your funeral. I think it won't be a problem otherwise. This city tends to swallow up secrets."

Trevor Smokey
Nov 8th, 2007, 04:51:08 PM
"Okay, thanks."

Trevor made his way to his belongings, picking up his shoes and falcata. He'd have to retrieve his coat from the study later.

"I'm gonna go have a wash. I havn't worked that hard for quite a while" he said, scratching his head.

With that, he thanked Brigid again and disappeared into the bathroom off the gym to sort himself out.