PDA

View Full Version : Rob Zombie's Halloween Remake

Rutabaga
Aug 26th, 2007, 02:50:43 PM
I have really, really mixed feelings about Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween that's being released this Friday. To me, remaking Halloween is like remaking Psycho (and well know how well that went :rolleyes. It's almost like remaking the Citizen Kane of modern horror movies. I know it's sanctioned by John Carpenter, so at least he has no objections to it. But the remake of The Fog, which is another one of my favorite Carpenter movies, was so freaking bad that I fear Halloween will be just as bad. But it does have Malcolm McDowell in the role of Dr. Loomis...but Donald Pleasance is a tough act to follow....

Ugh, I don't know. Is it going to be worth a trip to the theater to check out? Or is it more likely going to be a rental?

:huh

Parsideon Denix
Aug 26th, 2007, 03:04:45 PM
Rob Zombie is a genius savant, and he knows horror better than most people making horror movies.

Aurelias Kazaar
Aug 26th, 2007, 04:23:47 PM
Rob Zombie is a genius savant, and he knows horror better than most people making horror movies.

I've never seen any of Rob Zombie's movies, but I tend to thing if anyone should be doing a 'remake' it's him.

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 26th, 2007, 05:09:55 PM
I may end up eating my words, but I don't think Rob Zombie can do any wrong when it comes to horror movies. Even if it is awful, they already tarnished the name of the franchise with the millions of sequels :mneh

Rutabaga
Aug 26th, 2007, 06:01:49 PM
I may end up eating my words, but I don't think Rob Zombie can do any wrong when it comes to horror movies. Even if it is awful, they already tarnished the name of the franchise with the millions of sequels :mneh

As a horror fan, I shamefully admit that I haven't seen any of Rob Zombie's movies :o. They're in my Netflix queue, they're just farther down the line. That said, though, your point is well-taken. Only the first movie was any good, the rest totally sucked you-know-what. (Personally, I'm still completely lost over the whole "Laurie Strode is Michael's sister!" twist.)

So...I just might be spending a couple of hours in the movie theater over my Labor Day Weekend.

Aurelias Kazaar
Aug 26th, 2007, 06:10:27 PM
When was that revealed anyway? In the first or second movie?

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 26th, 2007, 09:24:02 PM
When was that revealed anyway? In the first or second movie?

Second I think, since the second movie took place during the same day.

Liam Jinn
Aug 26th, 2007, 09:34:40 PM

If you're into crap horror movies, you're right. Rob Zombie's movies, so far, are over the top crapfests, which by the way suck. He should've stuck with music.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 26th, 2007, 09:40:50 PM

If you're into crap horror movies, you're right. Rob Zombie's movies, so far, are over the top crapfests, which by the way suck. He should've stuck with music.

I honestly don't care for his movies. I tried watching House of a thousand corpeses and was nearly driven sick. I don't like movies that show a bunch of psychos as heroes.

Droo
Aug 26th, 2007, 11:59:02 PM
I too think his films lack any kind of class whatsoever, and that comes from someone who loves the horror genre. And by loving the horror genre, I mean I love atmosphere, tension, suspense, chills, thrills and the occasional jump. Not the crass bloated slasher gorefest nonsense that people think is what is scary these days. There is no need whatsoever to have remade Halloween, regardless of the rubbish sequels, and I will have nothing to do with the latest excretion from this borish flatulent film-maker.

Dae Jinn
Aug 27th, 2007, 12:19:35 AM
I consider myself a big horror fan, especially cheesey horror movies, but I couldn't finish watching the original Halloween because the "set-up" was so boring I was falling asleep :uhoh It's too bad that hollywood has run out of ideas so now they have to remake every single film ever made since the beginning of cinema. :|

I agree with Dru though; it does seem like most horror movies made now are all about the excessive violence/blood-and-guts, which I don't really enjoy.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 27th, 2007, 06:38:53 PM
What studios come out with these days seem to be "torture" movies, not horror in the classic sense. I hate them. Well, I don't really enjoy horror movies, but especially not any of that Hostel garbage.

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 27th, 2007, 08:06:18 PM
'Crap' horror movies are some of the most fun, I think. Serious psychological thrillers are great entertainment, but there's also something to be said for the so-bad-it's-good variety of movies.

I liked the cheese factor to House of 1000 Corpses. I also wouldn't put it in the same category as Hostel, which is a movie that was made purely for the sake of shocking people (and, to be honest, just made me laugh because of how ridiculous it was). House... isn't like that. It's harkening back to the exploitation horror movies of the '70s, with a little bit of a b-movie hyper-reality.

I don't like movies that show a bunch of psychos as heroes.
Hmm.. I didn't get that feeling from it. Odd. Then again, Halloween received criticism for leading the viewer to identify with Michael Myers by filming numerous scenes from his point of view.

Little tangent aside, whatever comes out of this... I doubt it will bear much resemblance to the original source. House... was Zombie's take on The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, so it fits that his vision of Halloween will be equally skewed.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 27th, 2007, 10:55:50 PM
'Crap' horror movies are some of the most fun, I think. Serious psychological thrillers are great entertainment, but there's also something to be said for the so-bad-it's-good variety of movies.

I liked the cheese factor to House of 1000 Corpses. I also wouldn't put it in the same category as Hostel, which is a movie that was made purely for the sake of shocking people (and, to be honest, just made me laugh because of how ridiculous it was). House... isn't like that. It's harkening back to the exploitation horror movies of the '70s, with a little bit of a b-movie hyper-reality.

I don't like movies that show a bunch of psychos as heroes.
Hmm.. I didn't get that feeling from it. Odd. Then again, Halloween received criticism for leading the viewer to identify with Michael Myers by filming numerous scenes from his point of view.

Little tangent aside, whatever comes out of this... I doubt it will bear much resemblance to the original source. House... was Zombie's take on The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, so it fits that his vision of Halloween will be equally skewed.

Well that is just how I saw it. I also didn't like how they just had to rip people apart. That is the problem with the horror genre in the last 15 years they think they need to tear people up to scare people. Movies like the Exorist, Silence of the Lambs (for the most part at least), and the Shining for example scare you but don't really gross you out.

Khendon Sevon
Aug 31st, 2007, 10:46:20 PM
Just saw Rob Zombie's Halloween.

It's bloody, there are a lot of breasts, and it's a well thought out story.

I didn't like it. It's good, don't get me wrong. I just didn't like it. It's real horror. I'm not a fan of reality.

Jedieb
Sep 2nd, 2007, 10:32:34 AM
I'm not a fan of horror films. I just never really got into them. Halloween came out when I was a kid and I've seen bits and parts of it and I'm familiar with the story of the first 2. One observation I'd like to make about the first one is that it wasn't all that gory. It scared the crap out of people without excessive blood and gore. But I figure any kind of remake is just going to amp up the blood and guts. I'm not watching this remake but for those that have, do you agree that it's bloodier than the original?