PDA

View Full Version : That dreaded creative block

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 25th, 2007, 06:47:10 PM
For the last week or so I've had it. I sat down this morning with the intention of knocking out some threads and catching up, but holy moly >_<

I want to write, and I have vague ideas about what I want to do, but beyond that is nothing. Maybe I need to take a pause and catch my brain up? Listen to some music, or just start scribbling in my sketchbook?

I know a few of us have gone through this, and so I was wondering how those of you who did, worked around/through it?

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 25th, 2007, 06:58:41 PM
Write down the ideas, reread the threads, and try to go from there.

Taking a pause sounds good too.

Ilias Nytrau
Jul 25th, 2007, 07:04:29 PM
My problem has been more often the case of just getting something started. Once it gets going, i'm pretty good, but I do have those points when I'm just utterly stumped.

Sometimes your brain just needs a break. Sometimes a few drinks helps (like relaxing the body, it sometimes relaxes the mind, but at the same time there is the whole "drunken posting" thing, and, well, we'll not go there...). But even better, I always feel refreshed after physical exertion, be it hockey, rollerblading, DDR, powerwalking, hiking or....oh, never mind. Point being, what may work for one might not work for another. But if you have hit this wall before, what helped to break it down then? If this hasn't happened to you before, continue on.

I think what's worked for me before is to just leave it alone for a little bit, put my focus into other things, then come back to it, read over what I'm responding to, and well, respond to it. But often I let that break go for too long (so very guilty of disappearing with little to no notice). Just don't be like me in this regard, and I think you'll be fine.

This too, will pass. ;)

Tieru Ocarre
Jul 25th, 2007, 07:05:46 PM
I always just watch a Star Wars movie. Then, I'm juiced. :)

Mirko Spendrim
Jul 25th, 2007, 09:58:51 PM
Spending time with dapper, wavey-topped gents usually is very beneficial :)

Calleh
Jul 25th, 2007, 10:16:27 PM
Sometimes collaborating with someone can really help jumpstart my creative process, even if I'm just finding someone to be a sounding board for my own ideas.

Creativity isn't about making something out of nothing - it's about making connections between ideas that others don't see, taking leaps that other people wouldn't take. The ideas that will make up your next big brainstorm are probably already rolling around in your head. Eventually you'll get a spark leaping from one idea to the next, and then whole plot structures start to light up.

If you can bring in someone else with a fresh perspective, he or she might help you make that critical connection. Even just talking over your ideas with someone can sometimes make things fall into place.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 26th, 2007, 08:16:41 AM
I would agree with Calleh... if for no other reason than my conversations with him have been some of my most creative lately. It's like playing a game of Pong, with the ball getting bigger and bigger - you suggest something, bounce the idea over to the other person, and they bounce it back with something new added.

Other than that, watching movies, reading books or playing video games helps me. I have tried just not writing for a while, but generally that just leads to more not-writing. Try a change of subject matter. I know that worked for me (dipping into Gen RPing a lot, rather than solely focusing on SW).

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 26th, 2007, 09:26:06 PM
Thanks guys :) Mandi coming down will be great, and she and I can get the ball rolling again. Plus, I want her to teach me how to make those little dolls :D

Morgan Evanar
Jul 28th, 2007, 11:51:35 PM
-bonk-