PDA

View Full Version : The Walmart $5 DVD Bargain Bin Alert Thread

Itala Marzullo
Jul 25th, 2007, 10:34:42 AM
Just doing a public service for DVD collectors, I moved to the city and there's this huge Walmart like a couple of blocks away, same as a massive Barnes & Noble (bought Eaters Of The Dead) so I figured I'd post this.

Alright, today I saw (and bought) these for $5 each from the bargain bin:

Escape From new York (2-disc collector's edition)
The Running Man (2-disc collector's edition)
The Ninth Gate (with Mr. Depp himself)
Absolute Power (Clint Eastwood)
Rat Race
Entrapment (Sean Connery)
Beverly Hills Ninja (Chris Farley)

I'm aware that the films I'm posting aren't exactly considered classics by many, but I'd like to ask you to control yourselves and not go " I wouldn't get that movie for a penny!".

Also, the films I'll list will be the "best" editions possible, you know, the ones with the second disc filled with "The Making Of" and deleted scenes for those who collect them over the single disc version and such. If CE's don't exist for a particular film, I'll post them anyway.

Razielle Alastor
Jul 25th, 2007, 11:26:33 AM
I bought The Ninth Gate myself. :D

Itala Marzullo
Jul 25th, 2007, 12:16:23 PM
Nice. :) I also saw Terminator 2: Judgement Day Xtreme Edition for $5. They must have a huge surplus of it because it's a classic by any standards.

Oh yeah! Target and Walmart both have all of The Simpsons dvds on sale for $20!

Jedieb
Jul 25th, 2007, 05:22:45 PM
I'd pick up the Running Man for $5.

Nathanial K'cansce
Jul 25th, 2007, 05:58:19 PM
I picked up 9th Gate. What a weird movie.

Itala Marzullo
Jul 25th, 2007, 06:40:30 PM
It was, too bad about the ending, what a huge buildup for nothing.

A decent movie regardless, 7 out of 10, worth the five bucks, if it wascn't for Depp, it'd be 5 out of 10.

Itala Marzullo
Jul 29th, 2007, 05:07:56 PM
Latest movies I got for $5.

John Carpenter's Vampires (james Woods is awesome in this one)
Enemy Mine
The Thin Red Line
American Psycho
Reservoir Dogs 10th Anniversary Edition (The new 15th anniversary edition is not worth it, doesn't really have that much more)

In a non-bargain bin related note, for $13.78 I got:

Patton, 2-disc collector's edition (George C. Scott, a true classic about my all-time favorite American general)
Apocalypse Now - Complete Dossier Edition (another classic)
Raging Bull - Collector's Editon i got for $10 in Target.

In Circuit City, they got Snatch: Deluxe Edition for only 14.99 and it even comes with poker cards.

I hate pikeys!

Target has Everybody Loves Raymond, Seasons 2 and 3 on sale for $20, i got both.

Ryan Pode
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:14:22 PM
You forgot to mention that in the bargin bin they have "Death to Supermodels."

I got Hot Fuzz (Regular price), and "Running Man" and "Evolution" from the bin.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:04:44 PM
I'm a regular $5 walmart bin shopper.

So far, the movies I've gotten from it are:

About Schmidt
Army of Darkness
Bad Girls
Barbarella
Bedazzled
Blackbeard
The Cell
Chain Reaction
City Slickers 2
The Crocodile Hunter
Cutthroat Island
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Dogma
Double Jeopardy
Escape from New York
Evolution
The First Wive's Club
French Kiss
Galaxis
The Golden Child
The Great Race
Hanging Up
Hot Shots
Jeff Foxworthy Show Season 1
Jerry Seinfeld standup
Johnny Dangerously
Jumanji
Killer Clowns from Outer Space
Kull
Lake Placid
The Last Sect
The Long Kiss Goodnight
Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
The Man Who Knew Too Little
Major League 2
McHale's Navy
Mon and Dad Save the World
Mystery Men
Nothing but Trouble
Novacaine
Over the Top
Punisher (Dolph Lundgren version)
Python
Rambo 1, 2, and 3
Red Sonja
The Ref
The Relic
The Road Warrior
Robocop
The Saint
Saving Silverman
Stir of Echos
Strange Brew
Suicide Kings
Superstar
T2 and T3
Them
Titan AE
To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar
Top Secret
Total Recall
Trading Places
Tremors
Tremors 4
Volcano
Waterworld

Only a few ^_^;

Itala Marzullo
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:23:43 PM
Holy crap.
So judging by some of your choices, you don't care for the Collector's Editions?

I got me 300 double disc last night, BUTLER RULES.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:35:04 PM
Generally I don't care about special editions unless it's a movie I particularly enjoy. T2 and T3 were special editions, as was Escape from New York. Sometimes you luck out with the $5 bin, but for the most part... come on. it's the $5 bin :rolleyes.

Itala Marzullo
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:16:00 AM
I know, but I guess I feel i must have the best version regardless of the movie.

It's pretty shocking that Walmart can have better deals than DeepDiscount.com, I just wish they had a larger selection.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 5th, 2007, 03:19:05 PM
There are times when walmart surprises me. Mom and Dad Save the World, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and The Great Race are movies that I snagged from there on the cheap - however, those movies have a sentimental value for me, as they were films that I remember watching with my family when I was younger. Others I have had to pay more for from places like Amazon and Best Buy.

But, I didn't mind since while watching them, they reminded me of family. For me, special features on those types of movies don't matter, since it's not the special features that made the memories. It was the movies themselves.

Itala Marzullo
Aug 6th, 2007, 11:59:27 AM
SF are fun! Come on, who doesn't like watching Gerard Butler and co. walking around blue screens and being silly?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 6th, 2007, 09:12:41 PM
I never said that special features are bad, I'm just saying that beggars can't be choosers when it comes to five dollar movies.

In fact, I very much enjoy special features, but some movies simply don't have them period.

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 6th, 2007, 09:31:10 PM
I pretty much never watch the special features on DVDs, so collectors editions don't appeal to me at all. I think the only movies I have ever actually bothered to watch the additional footage etc on was Lord of the Rings, and the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Itala Marzullo
Aug 6th, 2007, 09:55:04 PM
Well I was talking about dvds in general not the $5 stuff. I particularly love director commentaries, you'd be amazed what comes out of directors when the features are unrated.

Sanis Prent
Aug 7th, 2007, 07:01:02 AM
Special features don't really interest me for the most part.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 7th, 2007, 07:12:06 AM
In general, it all depends on the movie for me.

Commentaries I do love to death, though. Some of them are hilarious, like the commentary for Snatch, all of the Futurama commentaries, and the commentaries for Venture Bros. to name a few.

Also, I love watching blooper reels, and wish more movies would include them.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 7th, 2007, 02:59:56 PM
The commentary for Resident Evil is excellent. :)

Itala Marzullo
Aug 7th, 2007, 10:39:40 PM
The one for Gladiator is great, Ridley Scott says that when Commodus dies and the whole crowd is silent, one dude runs his right hand through his hair in the crowd and that he wanted to walk up there and punch him. Scott must be a cool old man to hang out with.

The commentary for Braveheart is pretty cool too, Mel Gibson keeps cracking up jokes and very funny anecdotes throughout the movie, feels like he's sitting with you.

I'll believe you and listen to that commentary, Hollie.

Oh yeah, from Clumbia HOuse I just got in the mail:

16 Blocks
Antz
City Of Angels

Captain Raurrssatta
Aug 12th, 2007, 07:12:56 PM
I will say that there is an exception for me. Michael Mann movies have great commentaries and "making of" shorts, which are very much worth watching. That's because Michael Mann is one of the few directors I give a damn about and who has genuinely interesting styles.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:23:02 PM
Got The Ghost and the Darkness last weekend.

That was the only 5$ movie I snagged; I ended up buying Hot Fuzz and The Tick Season 2 though :dance

Itala Marzullo
Aug 13th, 2007, 10:04:46 PM
The Tick!

I've been looking for the live series with PAtrick Wurburton with no luck though.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 18th, 2007, 05:02:10 PM
I'd recommend Amazon if you're having trouble finding it elsewhere.

Today I bought City Slickers, Wayne's World, and Sky Captain widescreen.

And Charley bought Short Circuit.

Nathanial K'cansce
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:16:53 PM
I was tempted to buy Short Circuit the other day... but I passed on it. Haven't gotten anything from the 5 dollar bin recently.

Yog
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:51:16 AM
Unfortunately, we have no $5 bins for DVDs over here, although plenty of $8-10 bins. Got Mouling Rouge collectors edition, Jason Bourne and Kill Bill volume 2 for ten bux each the other day.

Jedieb
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:22:57 PM
Picked up War of the Roses and First Blood for $5 each yesterday. The first Rambo flick was really a pretty good film, but like Rocky, the further along the series went the more ridiculous it got. It'll be interesting to see if Stallone can get back to the feel of the first one like he did with Rocky Balboa. I was really surprised by how good that last Rocky flick was. I don't think he's going to be able to do the same with Rambo though.

Tam Jeneel
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:17:02 PM
Judging from what I've seen, I think he can and will.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 5th, 2007, 01:31:12 PM
Bought The Core today, since I love a good bad movie :D Also because it's gonna exasperate Charley :p

Itala Marzullo
Sep 6th, 2007, 12:09:56 PM
The Core has Stanley Tucci in it, how can you go wrong?

Parsideon Denix
Sep 6th, 2007, 11:12:39 PM
Its a terrible movie thats how.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 9th, 2007, 12:06:17 AM
Quit being a hater, Charley :mad

Itala Marzullo
Sep 9th, 2007, 01:33:36 PM
LOL.

It's a ok bad movie.

Parsideon Denix
Sep 10th, 2007, 02:04:49 AM
Red Dawn is an okay bad movie
Warriors of the Wasteland is an okay bad movie
Zombie Lake is an okay bad movie

The Core is not okay :mad

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:22:25 PM
Just bought Robocop 2 and Escape from L.A. :D

Itala Marzullo
Sep 10th, 2007, 10:01:41 PM
Cain is AWESOME in Robocop 2.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 13th, 2007, 06:58:39 AM
Tom Noonan who played Cain is apparently doing a voice in the up coming 'Where the Wild Things Are'. It's gonna be strange, since all I'll be able to picture while hearing him is this creepy drug addicted cult leader.