PDA

View Full Version : How big is your tv/projector?

Itala Marzullo
Jul 18th, 2007, 09:23:59 AM
No old tube allowed unless it's an HD flatscreen, doesn't have to be flat planel, so let's show off shall we?

Meet the Cinego-1000, HD-ready (not true HD but for $500 I can't whine) and with adapters to connect your Xbox, surround sound system and your TV feed.

The projector in question, during the pitch dark of beautiful cinema.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z81/giuliano81/P1020547.jpg

The wall where I push it up to 70 inches, notice the light switch and the wall size.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z81/giuliano81/P1020541.jpg

Now look at the movie, approximately 70 inches in a few different angles...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z81/giuliano81/P1020548.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z81/giuliano81/P1020557.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z81/giuliano81/P1020545.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z81/giuliano81/P1020543.jpg

When you play a movie in the built in DVD player, the resolution jumps up to 720, effectively bringing the picture quality up. These pictures don't do it justice, it's as close as you get to an actual cinema. there may be negative reviews online but I am extremely satisfied with it. Movies are made to be watched in giant screens, not some small tv, even the most mediocre movie will be a blast with a projector.

So I watch my movies at 70 inches upstairs, but when I bring my projector downstais to the basement, I push the sucker up to 200 inches, my cousins all come every weekend to watch a few movies in the giant screen and play some Gears Of War, truly a fantastic product for only five hundred dollars.

Jedieb
Jul 18th, 2007, 09:44:51 AM
We've got a 42" plasma in our bedroom and a big screen rear projection TV in the living room. Those are my two HD babies. If I have time I'll put some pictures up later. The big screen in the living room is the only one that gets true HD because it's the only one with an HD satellite receiver. It's also got the PS3 hooked up to it so I could pop in some bluray discs if I were so inclined. I plan on getting a HD receiver for the plasma in our bedroom but not until I can convince DirecTV to give it to me for free or at least $20. I'm sure as hell not paying $200 bucks for another receiver.

JMK
Jul 18th, 2007, 11:28:36 AM
My current TV violates the parameters of this thread, but I just bought a house and the basement is unfinished, as we wanted. One room is 25'x14' and will be the home of my future home theater. I have my audio equipment (have had it for years), but next spring will be when I lay down a couple thousand on a deserving HDTV. I can't wait to get that done. It's been a fantasy of mine for a long time now.

Figrin D'an
Jul 18th, 2007, 04:39:05 PM
I bought a 50" Pioneer Elite plasma a couple of months ago. The picture quality and color depth never ceases to amaze me. Expensive, yes, but absolutely worth it if you are a movie geek.

I'm looking forward to watching college football and the NFL this fall on it as well.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 18th, 2007, 04:42:24 PM
I watch my movies on a Dell 2407 monitor. It's far better than anything else in the house, and I can either sit in my comfy office chair or lie on my bed. Woo!

Itala Marzullo
Jul 18th, 2007, 04:50:03 PM
How many inches, Chris?

Mitch
Jul 18th, 2007, 07:36:44 PM
Mine is big enough. Does what I want, and that's what makes me happy. Don't need to brag about my stuff.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 18th, 2007, 07:46:56 PM
24". 1920x1200, so 1080P is no problem. It's not a TV, but I have my PC via DVI and X-Box 360 hooked up to it via VGA. If you have limited space and spend as much time working on a PC as I do it's really worth it. It also has component and S-Video, and the scaling isn't bad at all.

Itala Marzullo
Jul 18th, 2007, 08:24:22 PM
Mine is big enough. Does what I want, and that's what makes me happy. Don't need to brag about my stuff.

I do, because that's what life is about! :rolleyes

Is this what you call a constructive contribution to the thread?

Itala Marzullo
Jul 18th, 2007, 08:25:16 PM
24". 1920x1200, so 1080P is no problem. It's not a TV, but I have my PC via DVI and X-Box 360 hooked up to it via VGA. If you have limited space and spend as much time working on a PC as I do it's really worth it. It also has component and S-Video, and the scaling isn't bad at all.

Sounds pretty awesome, nothing like an LCD's resolution to make a techie happy.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 18th, 2007, 08:57:29 PM

Itala Marzullo
Jul 18th, 2007, 09:00:29 PM

Hm, five minutes faster than I predicted.

There's nothing even remotely ill-natured about the thread, I don't think it deserves stuff like that.

Mitch
Jul 18th, 2007, 09:08:54 PM
Well, other than it's a "Look at me and me being an attention whore" thread, there's nothing wrong with anything in this thread at all. Life is about more than material goods, and if you havent' caught that, I feel very sorry for you.

Itala Marzullo
Jul 18th, 2007, 09:13:24 PM
Watch how much sleep I'll lose tonight.

It's an AWESOME projector being displayed in a MEDIA forum, but I guess I should learn to resist trolling when I see it.

Mitch
Jul 18th, 2007, 09:17:18 PM
--EDIT-- Removed.

I'm just going to let this go. Let's all be happy with what we have, and be happy that others have what they have.

Itala Marzullo
Jul 18th, 2007, 09:21:35 PM
Listen, really, it's not that awesome of a projector. Yes, it's nice. I'm not going to compare it against my television because they work on vastly different principles. But, when I make a post stating that I am content with my television--whatever it might be--and you criticize it instead of just going, "Okay, wow, it sure is nice that someone can be humble," it bothers me.

Don't need to brag about my stuff.

You make it sound like I'm on some type of evil quest to belittle anyone with a modest set, but this is an HD-oriented thread. Sure I'm bragging too, but I'm recommending the product to everyone, listing price and features, it's more like a review than a show off, but that's not even the point. If any of you lived near I'd invite you to watch a few movies with me.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 18th, 2007, 09:30:30 PM
I'm not defending Mitch but why are you recommending a product that isn't true HD? That's really silly, especially in this crowd.

Liam Jinn
Jul 18th, 2007, 09:56:18 PM
I watch my TV on a 13 inch set :p My video games are on my slightly bigger TV, 20 something. And my monitor is 17 inches, which is what I watch my DVD's on. I can't afford anything HD for the moment, but I feel like sharing this info. :)

Itala Marzullo
Jul 19th, 2007, 05:31:37 AM
I'm not defending Mitch but why are you recommending a product that isn't true HD? That's really silly, especially in this crowd.

The price, given its great resolution and how far you can blow the picture up while sustaining a very decent picture quality, better than DVD by any means. Besides, you won't find a 70-200 inch plasma for $500.

Wyl Staedtler
Jul 19th, 2007, 05:49:27 AM
I have no t.v as of last night because it was either television or the internet. The internet won.

We will now resort to watching Netflix requests on the computer. :)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 19th, 2007, 06:28:16 AM
Go 20" woo!

I was thinking about some of the 42" HDTV's, but now I'm considering a projector. I would love to set up surround sound, too, but right now I don't feel like dropping that kind of cash. I need to fix the house up before I think of shinies to put in it ^_^;

Itala Marzullo
Jul 19th, 2007, 07:32:54 AM
Go 20" woo!

I was thinking about some of the 42" HDTV's, but now I'm considering a projector. I would love to set up surround sound, too, but right now I don't feel like dropping that kind of cash. I need to fix the house up before I think of shinies to put in it ^_^;

Like I said, the pictures don't do it justice. Believe me when I tell you, I have shut up every single naysayer in my family and work by showing them the huge picture in person, eevry single person goes "Whoa..."

No movie nut can resist, so I'd just save up if I were you.

The Cinego-1000 used to cost $1100 but when the store received a new model they slashed the price to $500 and I couldn't resist. Worth every penny.

Jedieb
Jul 19th, 2007, 09:23:02 AM
If I were moving into a new house and had a basement to work with, I'd probably go with some kind of projector, but right now there's simply no space for me to set up any kind of projector. Every room that needs a TV has one or simply doesn't have the wallspace or configuration for a screen. It's not for a lack of funds, we just spent around $1600 for the bedroom plasma and DVD/sound system. And we're getting ready to spend close to $30K remodeling the house. It comes down to desire. I don't have the desire for a big screen projector. With this plasma we're set for the next 5 years.

If you're happy with a laptop display than good for you. I think that's a great setup if it suits your needs.

Itala Marzullo
Jul 19th, 2007, 08:38:12 PM
Well, just got Ghost Rider and took some snaps.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z81/giuliano81/P1020584.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z81/giuliano81/P1020582.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z81/giuliano81/P1020581.jpg

Well, I had my camera at 640, haha, I'll switch to 3.2 megapixels and see how the snaps look.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 19th, 2007, 09:03:18 PM
You're missing the point. There is no reason to get anything less than a 720P screen now. Yes, your projector can be Xbox hyooooge but it isn't going to stand up to a real image quality test next to a decent screen. Quality, not quantity. It's wonderful that your family thinks it looks great, but they're probably not familiar with what really good equipment will give you. On top of that, projectors don't work in day lit rooms. Even the brightest and best will look washed out. You can get a 32" 720P LCD for $500 or less now, which, for most people, is a better buy.

Now if you want to do a projector yourself, you can always check these guys out: http://www.lumenlab.com/diy/

Itala Marzullo
Jul 19th, 2007, 09:23:49 PM
Of course I know what you mean and thanks for the advice, I will eventually fully upgrade to HD. As far as day or night goes, I don't mind waiting til night to watch a movie when in fact it's my favorite time to.

As far as resolution goes, If I connect an HD player to it, it WILL project an HD picture, but I'm waiting to see which of the twon wins. Crystal is always going to look better than a projection, and anyone knows that when going to the movies. Hell, S-video looks better than the cinema.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 19th, 2007, 10:15:11 PM
Hell, S-video looks better than the cinema.Say what? Explain.

Dante Marzullo
Jul 20th, 2007, 04:02:53 AM
The crisp resolution in a tv set, say S-Video quality for example, looks better than any movie theather's screen, but I still like the look of the cinema projection more.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 20th, 2007, 06:25:48 AM
looks better than any movie theather's screen, but I still like the look of the cinema projection more.You have just contradicted yourself.

Marcus Marzullo
Jul 20th, 2007, 06:31:51 AM
Because I think S-video looks better? I still dig the look of a projection more than crystal crisp, doesn't mean I can't accept one looks better than the other.

Jedieb
Jul 20th, 2007, 09:19:41 AM
You're missing the point. There is no reason to get anything less than a 720P screen now. Yes, your projector can be Xbox hyooooge but it isn't going to stand up to a real image quality test next to a decent screen. Quality, not quantity. It's wonderful that your family thinks it looks great, but they're probably not familiar with what really good equipment will give you. On top of that, projectors don't work in day lit rooms. Even the brightest and best will look washed out. You can get a 32" 720P LCD for $500 or less now, which, for most people, is a better buy.

Now if you want to do a projector yourself, you can always check these guys out: http://www.lumenlab.com/diy/

That's a neat site Morgan. I agree with you, anything less than 720p and you're just going to be heading back to the store in a couple of years. The Hitachi plasma we just got is 1080. It's killing me that the receiver we have it hooked up to isn't HD. I'm probably going to just bite the bullet and pick up the HD/DVR receiver next month when we get back from vacation.

Itala Marzullo
Jul 20th, 2007, 09:21:45 AM
Those are pretty good prices for a 32 inch, what retailer and brands are you talking about though?

Jedieb
Jul 20th, 2007, 10:13:58 AM
Those are pretty good prices for a 32 inch, what retailer and brands are you talking about though?

I don't know what your price range is and how you feel about plasma TV's, but the 42" Hitachi I got from Circuit City was only $1200. From the shopping I did I found that to be a pretty good deal.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 20th, 2007, 10:44:24 AM
As far as brands go, what would guys recommend? I have a buddy at work who swears by Sony.

My 20" is a Sharp - that sucker got warped in the back of my old hatchback after I left it for too long in the sun, but it still works like a dream.

That same buddy highly discourages anything by RCA, and I can personally vouch for Dae-Woo's overall crappiness.

Itala Marzullo
Jul 20th, 2007, 11:08:31 AM
YEs, I used to work in Radioshack and we sold RCA, do NOT buy RCA, not even if someone kidnaps Charley and the ransom is to buy an RCA handheld radio for 12.99, plus tax.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 20th, 2007, 11:33:31 AM
As far as brands go, what would guys recommend? I have a buddy at work who swears by Sony.

My 20" is a Sharp - that sucker got warped in the back of my old hatchback after I left it for too long in the sun, but it still works like a dream.

That same buddy highly discourages anything by RCA, and I can personally vouch for Dae-Woo's overall crappiness.It really varies model to model. The best thing to do is figure out a budget and what features you want. Most of Sony's screens are excellent, though.

Jedieb
Jul 20th, 2007, 02:29:24 PM
Our big rear projection TV is a Sony and we're very happy with it.