PDA

View Full Version : When you read an rp...

Itala Marzullo
Jul 16th, 2007, 05:54:00 AM
...do you imagine the voice of the character's celebrity and style of acting as you read, or do you just use the same voice for everything? Sometimes I even try to add a soundtrack in my mind when I read an rp, I wonder if anybody does the same?

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 16th, 2007, 06:51:22 AM
I definitely do this. For some characters more than others.

Aurelias Kazaar, for instance, I always hear his voice. He is written with a specific style of speech that corresponds nicely with his avatar, so I can't help but picture Michael Madsen acting the part.

Sometimes I will try and recite character lines out aloud, in a mock-impression of them, to see if what they're saying fits the character. That's just for my own characters though, to make sure I'm playing them 'right'.

Itala Marzullo
Jul 16th, 2007, 06:55:43 AM
I definitely do this. For some characters more than others.

Aurelias Kazaar, for instance, I always hear his voice. He is written with a specific style of speech that corresponds nicely with his avatar, so I can't help but picture Michael Madsen acting the part.

Sometimes I will try and recite character lines out aloud, in a mock-impression of them, to see if what they're saying fits the character. That's just for my own characters though, to make sure I'm playing them 'right'.

Whoa, I do the same!

Specially with Joaquin Phoenix as Commodus.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 16th, 2007, 07:02:13 AM
Hehe, yup. I have always done it with Vega, to make sure that he sounded like enough of a bastard. We're already basically acting the characters out here, so I figure why not do a little bit of acting IRL. Helps me get into the characters heads a little more :)

Wyl Staedtler
Jul 16th, 2007, 07:03:55 AM
Mmm, sort of. Not necessarily the voice of the celebrity (although like Dasq, I find Kazaar personifies the gruff drawl of Madsen) but certainly each character has their own sound/vibe when reading. There's such a talented bunch of writers here, who are very adept at translating characters into words, that it's hard not to literally 'hear' different voices. :)

Itala Marzullo
Jul 16th, 2007, 07:43:11 AM
Hmm, the only one of my characters to have a different voice would probably be Lars, since I envision him sounding like Gollum almost.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:50:51 AM
Truth be told, I've never done this. But after reading this thread, I'm gonna start ^_^;

Erik Centter
Jul 16th, 2007, 10:58:18 AM
Believe me, it makes it more fun.

Hartus Kenobi
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:53:44 AM
Well, I've only played a Jedi so far, and because I try to keep him calm and unemotional I don't really think about his voice. I just know it's probably pretty soft and monotone.

But now that I'm not technically a Jedi anymore, I've giving him a gruffy demeanor. But still calm and collected. Over time he'll come out of his shell.

Mu Satach
Jul 16th, 2007, 01:15:09 PM
Truth be told, I've never done this. But after reading this thread, I'm gonna start ^_^;

Interesting, because I can not read anything s'Il posts without hearing Peta Wilson's voice.

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 16th, 2007, 01:47:47 PM
It really just depends. If I'm in a hurry to read a post, sometimes I just hear my own voice as I read it.

If I take time, I can hear everything from the avatar's voice to the RPer's RL voice to how I think the character would sound like.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 16th, 2007, 01:50:29 PM
I guess in the end it will also depend on how well you follow the work of the actor in the characters avatar. I don't think I've seen anything starring Peta Wilson besides LXG, and I don't imagine the voice she had then when reading s'Ilancy's posts... hmm.

Dante Marzullo
Jul 16th, 2007, 02:44:40 PM
You need to watch some La Femme Nikita episodes.

Mu Satach
Jul 16th, 2007, 07:23:48 PM
definitely watch some la femme Nikita...
http://video.aol.com/video-search/query/la%20femme%20nikita

Mina from LXG didn't really give her a chance to shine.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 17th, 2007, 12:24:47 AM
I tend to sort of... act out fight scenes (not extensively, but just while sitting to get the postures and responses right) while writing them. So I don't write something that doesn't make any sense when it comes to hand to hand or lightsaber combat.

Well, I hope I don't, anyway. :uhoh

Ever Talbot
Jul 17th, 2007, 02:38:47 AM
I dont watch enough movies or really read enough threads to do this :uhoh I tend to do what I do when I read a book; make up a voice in my head for whatever character is talking.

BUT, if I'm posting, I usually play out the scene I want to write in my head a biliion times before I actually type it. That goes for most of my writing -- I just find it easier to make a little "mental movie" first, then translate that to the page or screen.