PDA

View Full Version : Planning a Costume Party

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 23rd, 2007, 04:42:00 PM
Okay guys and gals, I need help!

My hubby's birthday is on Halloween. He's not really into birthday parties, but I am, so I'm throwing him a costume birthday party this year, probably the Saturday night before Halloween. He's okay with this, though I think he doesn't believe I'll pull it off, so that's why he doesn't mind me planning one. :p

I can't decide on a theme, however. Originally I wanted to have a pirate themed party, but now I'm leaning towards a Hawaiian luau theme, as Ty loves tropical everything. I'm going to put on the invitations that everyone must come in costume, because once you make it optional no one will wear one. :mneh

Or I could go 'high-class' pirate and do something Carribean. These are all pretty similar ideas of course.

THEN I thought, maybe a zombie theme! But I'm terrified of zombies and I hate it when Ty pretends to be one. So that's a no, unless I'm prepared to be freaked out and chased all around the house by probably everyone. :uhoh However, it could be a lot of fun.

There's also just the generic Costume Party, which is also fun.

So pick a theme, or suggest a new one, and please give me some ideas of inventive food and drink to serve that goes with the theme. :)

Thanks guys!

Jaime Tomahawk
Jun 23rd, 2007, 04:49:54 PM
ZIM Alien invasion

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:02:05 PM
I'd say generic costume party so that creativity can flourish, but otherwise I'd say Hawaiian Luau. I cannot imagine a bunch of people dressed as and acting like pirates not getting rather annoying after like 15 minutes... :)

Droo
Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:07:39 PM
For the above reasons, I'd go with generic. However, if you wanted to make things a bit more interesting so as to have a theme of some sort rather than a mish-mash of costumes, how about going for a broader costume genre. The first thing that came to my mind was Sci-Fi costumes, and given Ty's love of Star Wars, I'd say it could be on the money. A Sci-Fi Ty Party, if you will. :p

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:19:01 PM
I'm putting my vote in with Droo. A sci-fi shindig would fit Ty to a T.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:20:45 PM
Hmm, its a good idea too. :D

But what to do for food and drink? Blue milk and grak?

Droo
Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:22:07 PM
Liquid Schwartz and Space Cakes, of course.

Parsideon Denix
Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:23:06 PM
You should make it a Federalists vs Antifederalists party, with Tri-corner hats, stockings, and angry shouting. Also two people have to get in a fight and one of them "dies".

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:27:50 PM
Ah, no. But thanks for the idea. :uhoh

If I do sci-fi, should I go with Buck Rogers type decorations, or?

Droo
Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:34:29 PM
For Sci-Fi decorations, retro is the way to go!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:37:00 PM
Star Wars decorations would be too hard to get right without just looking awful. :p

I've already decided that we'll probably set up some sort of covering for the deck to keep the rain off (just in case it rains in October in Oregon ;))... maybe white christmas lights strung around + shiny tinfoil flying saucers?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:42:04 PM
bah, you need to make the inside of the house look like the Mos Eisley cantina!

Parsideon Denix
Jun 23rd, 2007, 07:00:51 PM
Sci Fi, you have to do Flash Gordon, if only for Ming the Merciless.

Not to mention, half of your party's soundtrack is already made by Queen.

Razielle Alastor
Jun 24th, 2007, 07:56:11 AM
Haha, I love pirates. :D I have too. I spent way too much on my wench costume not to. :lol You could work the luau / pirates thing together easy most definately.

Sci-Fi theme would be awesome too though. So my decision is somewhat torn, I see your problem, lol.

Droo
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:59:54 AM
I'm suddenly reminded of the legendary TSC Luau from back in the day.

Laodice Laos
Jun 24th, 2007, 04:18:56 PM
Make one of those christmas light & plastic cup disco balls. They always look spacey.

Nathanial K'cansce
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:00:32 PM
Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnn nnnns.

Liam Jinn
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:19:58 PM
I'd go ghostbusters, but that's just cause I'm cool :p

Sudoku
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:39:42 PM
I said zombies, but I didn't read your post before I voted XD

I'm trying to convince my mum to have a toga party (because 15 people over 40 in togas would be hilarious), but she wants to throw a "birthday" party - everyone buys a gift, and it's "everyones" birthday :)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 24th, 2007, 11:55:53 PM
I there's any sort of Toga Party being thrown, it's a rule that the bar have a mermaid boobies fishtank.

Mu Satach
Jun 25th, 2007, 01:11:30 AM
People, people, people...

The answer is OBVIOUS!

<a href="http://imdb.com/title/tt0087451/">ICE PIRATES!</a>

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 25th, 2007, 08:23:45 PM
I knew Zombie invasion would win on this board. :p

I think I'm set with Sci-Fi though. :D Found an adorable TOS Star Trek minidress which is perfect. Yes, I'm not ashamed to say I'll pick the style that lets me have the best cheap costume!

I'm thinking Ty needs to be T'ealc from Stargate, even though he's not black. :dance

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 25th, 2007, 08:31:32 PM
You have to have Tribbles. It is mandatory. MANDATORY.

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 25th, 2007, 08:35:06 PM
Oh God, tribbles :crack

i could stuff the microwave with them and pretend they're coming out of the replicator :p

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 25th, 2007, 08:43:31 PM
:lol

Is there any way you can rig something like a release net in the closet, so that when someone opens it to get their coat or something they get a face-full of tribbles?

Serena Laran
Jun 25th, 2007, 08:48:37 PM
Hehe, that would be hilarious. But that would involve having to re-set it every time :p