PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:23:30 PM
This just in: Samuel L Jackson is on board to play Nick Fury (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33090). Alongside Robert Downey Jr in the titular role, this is shaping up to look like a real good movie. :D

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:08:13 PM
As you can tell from my avatar and sig, I as soooo psyched for this movie. Iron Man's one of my favorite superheroes ever, and Tony Stark is one of my major influences for Hartus Kenobi. An awesome cast so far - I just hope the armor will come across well in the action scenes.

The attached picture is a poster from the recent NY Licensing Show:

Mitch
Jun 23rd, 2007, 12:00:09 AM
I don't mean to sound racist, but, isn't Nick Fury supposed to be a white English guy with brown hair and graying sideburns?

If your'e going to use stock characters, Marvel, please try and someone who fits the role. I love SLJ, but he's not Nick Fury by a longshot.

JMK
Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:29:58 AM
Nor was Michael Clarke Duncan a "proper" Kingpin, but he was one of the better parts of what was otherwise a nightmare of a movie.

If I'm not mistaken, this won't be the first time Nick Fury appears on screen as a black man. I think he may have been black in X-Men Evolution, and possibly the Avengers animated movies.

Shawn
Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:53:37 AM
Nick Fury's appearance in the "Ultimate" line of comics was actually based on Samuel L. Jackson.

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/3913/unfkd3.jpg

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 23rd, 2007, 09:48:10 AM
Personally, I don't think he'll make a particularly good Nick Fury either (though his likeness in Marvel's Ultimate Universe is cool), I just chalk it up as a victory for the movie. The more established actors, the more legitimacy superhero movies will get.

Jedieb
Jun 23rd, 2007, 02:51:18 PM
Didn't David Hasselhoff play Nick Fury awhile back? Damn, why didn't the producers just offer him up the role!

Mitch
Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:27:54 PM
Personally, I don't think he'll make a particularly good Nick Fury either (though his likeness in Marvel's Ultimate Universe is cool), I just chalk it up as a victory for the movie. The more established actors, the more legitimacy superhero movies will get.

But the more peeved the fans get that the studio only wants to rake in money instead of delivering the thing we've grown to know and love.

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:36:45 PM

But the more peeved the fans get that the studio only wants to rake in money instead of delivering the thing we've grown to know and love.
Yeah, I generally agree with that. I was NOT happy with MCD as Kingpin in Daredevil, but I'm okay with Sammy J as Nick Fury here. Ultimate Nick Fury as been around for about 6 years now so I've gotten used to him. The regular Marvel Universe Nick Fury has been in hiding for the past few years, so I've even come to see the black Nick Fury as my main Nick Fury.

BTW, they've also tweaking Iron Man's origin a bit. Originally, Tony Stark was captured in Southeast Asia where he and another scientist/inventor built his first armor. In the movie, he'll be in Afghanistan. So they do stuff from time to time to update material for audiences today.

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 24th, 2007, 01:11:33 AM
An awesome new image. A cast shot of characters: Jim Rhodes (future Warmachine), Pepper Potts (secretary), Ironman (good guy), Ironmonger (bad guy).

Morgan Evanar
Jun 24th, 2007, 08:54:19 AM
Holy crap Downey makes a nearly perfect Stark.

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 24th, 2007, 10:53:47 AM
Yeah, he's fantastic. At first I was happy that he was cast, but I didn't think he would actually LOOK like Tony Stark. But they ended up doing a good job with it.

Here are some behind the scenes footage and cast interviews:

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1560958&vid=152549

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 24th, 2007, 11:29:33 PM
EVerything looks cool so far. Is the Mandarian going to be in the movie? It looks like Bridges is the bad guy and I don't think he can play the Mandarian unless they are really changing that guy's story.

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 24th, 2007, 11:39:53 PM
EVerything looks cool so far. Is the Mandarian going to be in the movie? It looks like Bridges is the bad guy and I don't think he can play the Mandarian unless they are really changing that guy's story.

It appears that Mandarin will indeed be the second villain of the movie, but so far I don't believe he has been cast. Or at least it hasn't been revealed who as been cast.

Arya Ravenwing
Jul 23rd, 2007, 06:26:08 PM
Iron Man's hand thingy. :)

Mu Satach
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:41:40 AM
I'm in :love

Shawn
Jul 29th, 2007, 08:39:17 PM
Here's some footage from Comic Con. I have to say, it's looking pretty hot. The humor is all spot on, too.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=327&item=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVRQjCG8tn4

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 29th, 2007, 08:50:03 PM
Wow, this does look pretty cool! :eee

Jaime Tomahawk
Jul 29th, 2007, 08:54:16 PM
I'm not a fan of Iron Man (hell, I hardly know anything of him) but that looks really cool.

Droo
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:55:37 PM
I can't stand the way studios try to withhold the Comic Con footage of the films. It's so petty. Some of us mere mortals can't afford a trip to San Diego yet they try to deprive their own fanbase of this footage.

Last night, I had to chase down links super fast to find one that had no longer been blocked - already that YouTube link is dead, not sure about the other one. Probably just a matter of time but it's so pointless because once it's out there, people will find it no matter how many links they block.

Anyway, I have it on my computer so I can enjoy it whenever I like - to hell with Paramount Pictures Corporation/Dreamworks Animation SKG, Inc. :rolleyes

The footage is excellent. I've never followed Iron Man, I know precious little about the character, but this film looks like it will be awesome.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:47:49 PM
I'm not a fan of Iron Man (hell, I hardly know anything of him) but that looks really cool.Iron Man is an interesting character. He's a brilliant man, but a bit of a SOB and an alcoholic.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:15:12 PM
I'm not a fan of Iron Man (hell, I hardly know anything of him) but that looks really cool.Iron Man is an interesting character. He's a brilliant man, but a bit of a SOB and an alcoholic.

He is worse now in the comics. He has become a fascist.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:49:46 PM
new Iron Man picture!

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 10th, 2007, 12:21:06 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman/

And the Iron Man trailer is officially up.

jjwr
Sep 14th, 2007, 05:09:42 PM
I like the trailer, RDJ plays the character perfectly. Would have liked to have seen the finished armor in action but seeing the 1st set is nice and gives you an idea for what is coming.

Parsideon Denix
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:15:20 PM
I know absolutely nothing about Iron Man, but I really want to after this.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 17th, 2007, 11:08:34 PM
It looks very cool. Robert Downey Jr. looks perfect for the part.

JMK
Sep 18th, 2007, 06:24:06 AM
Remember when Tom Cruise was rumored for the part? :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 18th, 2007, 08:48:40 PM
Thank god, he didn't take it.

Mitch
Sep 19th, 2007, 01:15:34 AM
Heh, who better to play a damaged addict than... a damaged addict! Great choice!

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 5th, 2007, 05:16:05 PM
International trailer is out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYZ3954lqag

Featuring Gywneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts!

Droo
Mar 6th, 2008, 02:31:56 PM
There's a new trailer up. The best one, in my opinion. Robert Downey Jr. is always a pleasure to watch in films but he is really going to steal the show here. At the very least, in terms of action, comedy, and style, this film looks like it's got it nailed. I can't wait.

HD 420P (http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?sid=59839739&sdm=web&pt=rd) (50.1Mb)
HD 720P (http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?sid=59839750&sdm=web&pt=rd) (126Mb)
HD 10800P (http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?sid=59839759&sdm=web&pt=rd) (175Mb)

Turbogeek
Mar 6th, 2008, 02:55:37 PM
There's a new trailer up. The best one, in my opinion. Robert Downey Jr. is always a pleasure to watch in films but he is really going to steal the show here. At the very least, in terms of action, comedy, and style, this film looks like it's got it nailed. I can't wait.

HD 420P (http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?sid=59839739&sdm=web&pt=rd) (50.1Mb)
HD 720P (http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?sid=59839750&sdm=web&pt=rd) (126Mb)
HD 10800P (http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?sid=59839759&sdm=web&pt=rd) (175Mb)

I hate the juvenile swear filter here because there's simply no under 13 words to describe how good this looks.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 6th, 2008, 02:57:39 PM
The swear filter hates you too.

Mu Satach
Mar 6th, 2008, 03:30:05 PM
ok... I <big><big><b><i>HAVE</i></b></big></big> to see this opening night now.

Flux
Mar 6th, 2008, 08:55:31 PM
I want this so much.

Liam Jinn
Mar 6th, 2008, 09:07:17 PM
Sweet. I'm soooo gonna see this in theaters :)

Zem-El Vymes
Mar 8th, 2008, 12:21:36 AM
I haven't wanted to see a movie this much in a long time.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 8th, 2008, 10:31:40 AM
Ooooh the excitement :D

I hate the juvenile swear filter here because there's simply no under 13 words to describe how good this looks.

Swearing does not amount to eloquent expression :p Learn yurself sum gooder words.

Turbogeek
Mar 8th, 2008, 04:28:23 PM
Swearing does not amount to eloquent expression :p Learn yurself sum gooder words.

Oh yes it can. You just have to swear int he right accent.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 10th, 2008, 01:24:58 AM
Want so much.:dance

RiffWrath
Mar 10th, 2008, 11:15:08 AM
Well, there are ways around the swear filter....but that's not what we're here to discuss. And I just noted the thread....and found out personally that the guy was RDJ. Didn't think that was him....but indeed it is. Thought the guy looked familiar....But man, they've got his personality down pat. And the "AWARD WINNING MOUSTACHE," to quote Spider-Man from Marvel Ultimate Alliance!!!! :lol

Turbogeek
May 2nd, 2008, 05:17:31 AM
Want so much.:dance

The hype delivers.

Oh yes, this is a GREAT blockbuster. This is how a summer movie - an intelligent, fast paced, well acted, well directed comic book movie is done. Screw Spiderman, THIS is where it's at.

In a summer of what is looking like a series of good films, this one sets the bar high and we just started. 9/10 easy.

Just go and see this for yourselves.

Crusader
May 2nd, 2008, 05:26:43 AM
Yeah a surprisingly well done movie.

Turbogeek
May 2nd, 2008, 07:13:03 AM
Calling it surprising is a tad difficult to justify I think - I certainly wasn't surprised it was this good and I'm very pleased the hype is justified. It was already known to have a good director and good actors. And a strong comic book set to source material of. The trailers have all been really good too, so if anything people should be going in with fairly high expectations. it will meet them I think.

One thing I will say is that there was a Speed Racer trailer attached. Oh man that looks soooooooo bad with little or no redeeming features. Also saw a few standard chick flick trailers that also look terrible but also to my delight Indiana Jones. That looks to be pretty good.

Going to be quite a good season with Batman, Indy and Wall-E still to come.

Yog
May 2nd, 2008, 09:39:10 AM
Aye, the movie is getting 95% at rotten tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man/) (very rare for this type of movie), 8.4 at IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371746/), and average of A- among yahoo users (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808411893/user). Very good reviews and word of mouth. No one should be suprised this movie is great :)

Dasquian Belargic
May 2nd, 2008, 09:52:52 AM
Ah, excellent. I think I'm going to see this at the start of next week, so I'm glad to hear that it's living up to the hype! :D

CMJ
May 2nd, 2008, 10:10:39 AM
I had like....zero interest in this film until a week or so ago. I still don't have much(I just never read Ironman), but the euphoric reviews will probably get me to watch it.

Jedi Master Carr
May 2nd, 2008, 05:43:01 PM
I had like....zero interest in this film until a week or so ago. I still don't have much(I just never read Ironman), but the euphoric reviews will probably get me to watch it.

My interest was low until recently. I was thinking of seeing it for a while. I have never been a big iron man but the film looks great from what I have seen and heard.

Freight Train
May 2nd, 2008, 09:04:02 PM
I just saw it, and it was every bit the experience the hype and Marcus made it out to be. This is as close to perfect as a comic book movie has ever come. Casting was perfect. There were lots of awesome twists and so much quotable dialogue my head will likely explode just recalling an eighth of it.

Yog
May 3rd, 2008, 03:03:28 AM
My interest was low until recently. I was thinking of seeing it for a while. I have never been a big iron man but the film looks great from what I have seen and heard.

My interest was also really low until a week or so ago. From what I heard, it is less a "great comic book movie" than a "great action movie that happens to have comic character in it", which is why I am interested. Just like CMJ, I never read any Ironman.

Neutron
May 3rd, 2008, 11:51:39 AM
I never read Iron Man, but now I want to. This was absolutely amazing.

Jedi Master Carr
May 3rd, 2008, 02:06:55 PM
I just got back from it, the movie was great. Downey pretty much stole the movie. He was amazing and the movie was great too. It was a great way to kick off the summer. Oh one thing you have to sit through the credits for an extra scene Samuel L. Jackson plays Nick Fury in a cameo trying to persuade Tony to join the Avengers. I thought that scene was great

Figrin D'an
May 3rd, 2008, 10:38:43 PM
Great summer action flick. Downey plays Tony Stark just about perfectly. This is probably the best Marvel-based superhero film since X-Men 2.

Loved the final post-credit scene with Nick Fury. It's pretty clear that Marvel wants to do an Avengers film. I just hope that they are able to convince the actors from the already established comic films (Spiderman, Hulk, Iron Man) to do it.

Hartus Kenobi
May 3rd, 2008, 11:09:42 PM
D'an, about your spoiler. The movie rights to Spider-Man do not belong to Marvel, so he and the X-Men are out of the question. But expect to see guest appearances from other Marvel characters in the upcomind Marvel movies though. Like you'll be pleasantly surprised who is supposed to show up in the upcoming Norton Hulk movie. And then once they start cranking out Captain America, Namor, and Thor movies, we'll have quite a good group of superheroes whose movie rights are all owned by the same company.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 4th, 2008, 12:42:00 AM
The movie was awesome!

And the scene after the credits was awesomer. ;)

Crusader
May 4th, 2008, 04:48:10 AM
The Edward Norton Hulk is supposed to have a cameo/scene with Downey as Tony Stark and a reference to Captain America. I first doubted that Marvel could make good movies on their own but Iron Man promises some nice flicks in the future (I still think it was a bad idea to let Todd McFarlane be part in his own Spawn adaption since he did not make the sacrifices necessary to make Spawn work on the big screen).
I think that I might end up watching the Hulk movie this summer although I consider the last one the worst comicbook film ever!

Rutabaga
May 4th, 2008, 01:50:24 PM
O. M. G. Times 4.

It's amazing how they took such a lower tier, lesser known Marvel title and turned it into one of the best comic book movies of recent years. Definitely on a par with Spider-Man 2 and X-Men 2. It rocked! Robert Downey Jr. has now gone on to superstar status, that's for sure, he was absolutely perfect in the role. And thanks for the tip on the scene at the end...my father was a great sport and sat with me until it was over, and this was one of those times when sitting through the credits was worth it. Knowing that Samuel L. Jackson will be playing Nick Fury in upcoming sequels is muy caliente.

We saw the trailer for The Incredible Hulk :\. All I could think was, and people griped about the CGI in Ang Lee's version a few years ago? The CGI in this one looks fairly laughable.

Seeing the Indiana Jones trailer was icing on the cake, I didn't expect that. Everyone in the theater seemed to be like "yay!" when it was over :cool.

Yog
May 4th, 2008, 02:20:31 PM
O. M. G. Times 4.
Glad you enjoyed it. I think Iron Man will have some monster legs at Box Office. :)

We saw the trailer for The Incredible Hulk :\. All I could think was, and people griped about the CGI in Ang Lee's version a few years ago? The CGI in this one looks fairly laughable.
Yeah, I have a bad feeling about that one..

Seeing the Indiana Jones trailer was icing on the cake, I didn't expect that. Everyone in the theater seemed to be like "yay!" when it was over :cool.
And, I have great feeling about Indy IV!

Peter McCoy
May 4th, 2008, 08:08:45 PM
Tonight was a very cool night. I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I'll be getting it on Blu-Ray when it's released. One of the funnest and coolest films I've seen in a while. I enjoyed it more than Spider-Man and Superman Returns. It's really witty and slick, the pace is excellent and R-D-Jnr was an absolute joy to watch.

The Fantastic 4's first outing was an 'origin' movie and I thought it was pretty pants and pointless, but although this film more or less sets the ship out to sea, there's plenty going on and it's very engaging, and you really can tell the studio had a blast making it.

I'll likely go see this again on Orange Wednesday :)

PS: It's got a great soundtrack too!

Dasquian Belargic
May 5th, 2008, 06:02:13 AM
I think we're going to see this on Orange Wednesday... aaah, I'm so excited :crack

jjwr
May 5th, 2008, 07:33:03 AM
Great movie. I was very luke warm about seeing it even a week ago but my brother talked me into it and I thorougly enjoyed it! Great from the beginning to the end, witty banter, great action scenes, plenty of humor and a nice lack of personal drama(ala Spidey, Supes, etc).

As for Avengers, all they need is Hulk, Iron Man and Captain America. They can fill out the team with a few lesser members. Squeezing too many big fish into that one would be a problem. Toss in Ant/Giant Man and Black Panther in smaller roles and your good to go.

Dasquian Belargic
May 6th, 2008, 11:26:40 AM
Oh wow that was soooo cool. Tony Stark is a total pimp.

Flux
May 6th, 2008, 11:37:44 AM
When I get to the comic shop this week, all the Iron Man titles are gonna be gone. XD Nobody I know in this town disliked it, and every single one of them want to see more of Tony Stark. I cannot believe the success of this movie.

Dasquian Belargic
May 6th, 2008, 11:41:53 AM
I actually went to the book shop afterwards with the intention of buying something Iron Man related, but I didn't know where would be the best place to start ^_^;

Flux
May 6th, 2008, 12:00:17 PM
Essential Iron-Man will give you a bunch of the earlier stories. Iron-Man: The Inevitable is supposed to be noteworthy. Ultimate Iron-Man is pretty far off from the movie version (which for once incorporated very little of the "ultimate" stuff, aside from Nick Fury) Otherwise, just pick a trade paperback with cool cover-art and try it out. :)

Rutabaga
May 6th, 2008, 05:25:01 PM
Oh wow that was soooo cool. Tony Stark is a total pimp.

I am so totally crushing on Robert Downey Jr. right now, it's almost embarrassing. :hug

Lilaena De'Ville
May 6th, 2008, 05:28:50 PM
I am still sort of amazed at the scene where Pepper puts her hand into his chest to pull that wire... how did they do that!? The dynamic/chemistry between Paltrow and Downey Jr. was fantastic. :D

Nuro Alston
May 10th, 2008, 12:09:46 PM
Well, they made another Spider-Man.
I think Iron-Man has just imprinted his foot in the hearts of every kid around the nation.

Liam Jinn
May 10th, 2008, 05:25:04 PM
I just got back from seeing this, and it was amazing! I didn't stay to see the extra scene though, didn't know there was one. Oh well, there's always next time :)

Dragon
May 11th, 2008, 09:39:29 PM
I am still sort of amazed at the scene where Pepper puts her hand into his chest to pull that wire... how did they do that!? The dynamic/chemistry between Paltrow and Downey Jr. was fantastic. :D

Prosthetic chest. ;)

Nuro Alston
May 11th, 2008, 11:44:35 PM
I just got back from seeing this, and it was amazing! I didn't stay to see the extra scene though, didn't know there was one. Oh well, there's always next time :)

I didnt know there was one either...hm! Youtube?!

Liam Jinn
May 11th, 2008, 11:49:35 PM
Yeah, it wasn't too hard to find online. I just went to Google :)