PDA

View Full Version : USA vs Canada - 2007 Gold Cup semi-final

Itala Marzullo
Jun 21st, 2007, 04:47:10 PM
Tune in to Fox Soccer Channel and support your national team, you silly Americans! Should also be in the Spanish-speaking channels, Gol Tv or ESPN.

Game starts at 7Pm EAST.

Canadians here too, so I suggest you do the same!

Itala Marzullo
Jun 21st, 2007, 05:47:23 PM
Goal! Hejouk

1-0 USA

Itala Marzullo
Jun 21st, 2007, 05:53:38 PM
Penalty! Goal! Landon Donovan!

2-0 USA

Poor Canada.

Itala Marzullo
Jun 21st, 2007, 06:42:28 PM
Goal! Hume scores a great goal for Canada.

2-1

Itala Marzullo
Jun 21st, 2007, 07:00:32 PM
LOL, Canada was robbed, disallowed a perfectly valid goal at the last minute, the USA wins and goes through to the final.

Ryan Pode
Jun 21st, 2007, 07:21:22 PM
What is this "soccer" you speak of?

Itala Marzullo
Jun 21st, 2007, 07:54:13 PM
Hehe, it's called football worldwide except here but it's the most popular sport in the world, except in the USA, but that won't be an issue as the new generations emerge.

Liam Jinn
Jun 21st, 2007, 07:54:13 PM
What is this "soccer" you speak of?

Ditto, does this involve some sort of pig skin?

Jaime Tomahawk
Jun 21st, 2007, 08:21:09 PM
Not like we havent heard the "soccer" jokes before. Maybe some originality in the diss next time?

Itala Marzullo
Jun 21st, 2007, 11:05:15 PM
It's cool, entire countries dont take to the streets to celebrate when someone wins the superbowl. ;)

Parsideon Denix
Jun 21st, 2007, 11:09:59 PM
I don't think hooliganism is the best pro-soccer argument to make, man.

Itala Marzullo
Jun 21st, 2007, 11:22:21 PM
I don't think hooliganism is the best pro-soccer argument to make, man.

That's a really cheap point to bring up, like some girl getting shot in the eye by a rubber bullet.

Most hooliganism is crushed anyway, the very bad type.

Parsideon Denix
Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:15:42 AM
Right, but it doesn't change the sport's frequent love affair with unruly crowds.

Marcus Marzullo
Jun 22nd, 2007, 02:15:42 AM
Meh, criminals always sneak in with the real fans.

For example, last year when Italy won the world cup, tens of millions of Italians took to the streets and not a single report of violence was reported, it was all celebration.

The notorious hooligans from Italy, England and Germany have been banned from stadia, so the worst that happens now is the occasional brawl or two. Keep in mind I'm talking international level, where it really rarely happens anymore.

Club level though, is still a concern, specially in eastern Europe and southern Italy, but tougher regulations are being implemented.

JMK
Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:24:08 AM
Canada is hosting the U-20 FIFA world cup starting June 30, I wonder if there will be hooliganism here? :)

Jaime Tomahawk
Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:39:41 AM

For example, last year when Italy won the world cup, tens of millions of Italians took to the streets and not a single report of violence was reported, it was all celebration.

The notorious hooligans from Italy, England and Germany have been banned from stadia, so the worst that happens now is the occasional brawl or two. Keep in mind I'm talking international level, where it really rarely happens anymore.

Club level though, is still a concern, specially in eastern Europe and southern Italy, but tougher regulations are being implemented.

Dude, you got trolled :)

Marcus Marzullo
Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:53:39 AM

Dude, you got trolled :)

Oh, I know. Just informing the newbies. :angel

Canada's hooliganism is going to run rampant. :p

Itala Marzullo
Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:18:29 AM
Guys, watch the video recap, it's quite hilarious how Canada got screwed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w8Kt7eNSwYA

JMK
Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:03:54 AM
No thanks, I'd rather not see that BS again. The refs absolutely need to reprimanded for that, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a pissed of Canadian. Soccer has descended to the level of WWE with refs turning a blind eye.

Tiranna Marzullo
Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:35:13 AM
So you watched the game? De Guzman plays for Deportivo La Coruna in Spain and is usually dirty, so not many people feel bad for that flip, specially Real Madrid, he must have kicked everyone that day.

Well, are you going to root for the USA or Mexico in the final?

The U-20 world cup will be interesting.

Itala Marzullo
Jun 24th, 2007, 04:25:43 PM
...and the USA is the champion. Congrats to America.

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 24th, 2007, 04:56:39 PM
Isn't it weird that basically the only team I have absolutely no interest in watching is USA? I can't seem to figure out why that is.

Itala Marzullo
Jun 26th, 2007, 01:49:46 PM
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="yspsctnhdln">41 percent more households tuned into Gold Cup final than Stanley Cup final
</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="7"><spacer type="block" height="1" width="1"></td> </tr> </tbody></table> June 26, 2007
NEW YORK (AP) -- The CONCACAF Gold Cup final attracted 41 percent more television households in the United States than the Stanley Cup finals clincher -- and that was just for the soccer game's Spanish-language telecast.
The United States' 2-1 come-from-behind victory over Mexico on Sunday received a 2.5 fast national rating on Univision, the network said Tuesday. That translates to 2.83 million households, nearly double the 1.48 million homes that watched the 2005 Gold Cup final between the United States and Panama.

This year's English-language telecast was on the Fox Soccer Channel, which is available in about 30 million homes and is not rated.

Anaheim's series-ending 6-2 victory over Ottawa in the Stanley Cup on June 6 received a 1.8 rating on NBC, which comes to 2,005,000 households.

The rating is the percentage watching a telecast among all homes with televisions, and a ratings point represents 1,114,000 households.