PDA

View Full Version : Your Zombie Survival Gear

Khendon Sevon
Jun 19th, 2007, 01:30:07 PM
Zombies. Yes. I know. It's everyone's worst fear. We've all been preparing for years to survive the shambling horde (I pray they shamble, Resident Evil style lickers would ruin my day).

So, gentlemen, ladies... what gear do you have stock piled? Let's not even go into scenarios ;)

I guess I cheat a bit because my outdoor gear doubles as zombie survival gear:
- 45L CiloGear WorkSack: Has a customizable strap system so I can haul ice axes (good for climbing frozen waterfalls or destroying the brains of the undead), a rifle, skiing implements, etc.
- 3L CamelBak Reservoir in a temperature regulating sheath
- 30F synthetic sleeping bag (quick drying) with Z rest
- Pretty good, lightweight, waterproof first aid kit
- Buncha' climbing gear to go where no zombie can go (plus, I can make all sorts of nasty things with the ropes, carabiners, heavy protection implements, etc). You never know when a helmet designed to protect from falling rock will help ;)
- Gerber LED flashlight (aircraft aluminum, water resistant; sturdy enough to use as a club) and Petzl Tiki LED headlamp (attaches easily to my climbing helmet)
- Survival kit: Emergency lights, signals, flint and magnesium, multi-tool
- Sturdy pair of GoreTex lined hiking boots (for kicking and running), I've also done a dash of technical climbing in them and it wasn't super bad
- [b]Cold weather clothing (synth parka, fleeces, hats, mountaineering gloves, snow pants, gaiters, etc), rain gear (superlight rain/wind jacket, synth quickdrying pants), all-weather gear (synth clothing)
- Baseball bat: I don't have guns. I'm sorry :( Looks like I'll have to use an ice axe or baseball bat.

I also have access to additional gear (tents, etc) from my outdoor club. Hmm, I think I could follow the Appalachian trail down south to meet up with Charley. That would be the wisest decision if the military falls apart. He probably will have a list to trump mine.

As you can tell, my general plan is to get away from populated areas :)

Wishlist:
- AK47 & Ammo - Doesn't need much maintenance, easy to learn and use. Generally a reliable weapon for culling the undead masses. I have a feeling a lot of these will pop up after the start of the Zombie Apocalypse.
- HK MP7 & Ammo - Good for putting a lot of rounds between you and the shambling horde. Lightweight, small. Nice lil guy. Very difficult to find one of these after the start of the Zombie Apocalypse (and even before).
- Hand-and-a-half Sword - Useful when the ammo runs out

Zereth Lancer
Jun 19th, 2007, 01:47:50 PM
Oh, I have an incredible anti-zombie arsenal.

IE: Baseball Bat made of wood, solid to the core, and great for knocking droopy zombie heads from their festering shoulders. Also nice to have if you need to beat your way through a wall to get away from the shambling hordes of the undead. And if your a selfish little bugger, you can use it to "knock-out" your fellow survivors, so you can take their gear but not kill them outright, unless you feel like it.

Aaaaaaaand.... that's all I have. I don't think the kitchen knives are going to help me. I might just grab the pickaxe out of the garage, but that's just stick into the zombies and screw me over big time.

I think I'd just grab a lot of food and camp out on my roof.

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 19th, 2007, 03:01:44 PM
The correct answer: Chainsaw

Maybe a few plasma grenades.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 19th, 2007, 03:12:58 PM
Cricket bat (or pool cue, depending on what is available) and a box of old vinyl records.

:mneh

Droo
Jun 19th, 2007, 03:50:09 PM
I have all the zombie survival gear I need.

The local.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 19th, 2007, 03:57:47 PM
Whats the local?

Droo
Jun 19th, 2007, 04:01:56 PM
The local pub, mate. A bastion of security, stability, homeliness, and all round goodness - guaranteed to repel the shambling masses until doomsday.

Zereth Lancer
Jun 19th, 2007, 04:16:03 PM
The correct answer: Chainsaw

Um... No. Wrong answer. Using a chainsaw would just give you a face full of infected zombie blood. So unless you like running around soaked in blood, with the possibility of becoming infected, if this is in fact an infection ala Resident Evil, I would avoid the chainsaw. Range and height at the best weapons against zombies. Simple fact. Just like Flamethrowers are not a good zombie weapon, because that just turns normal zombies into flaming zombies. You'd be better off dropping bricks off from your roof.

Me, I think I would just run like hell until, by chance, I happen across a military surplus store that hasn't been ransacked already.

Failing that, I would make all haste to Charley's house.

Jaime Tomahawk
Jun 19th, 2007, 04:29:45 PM
How about survival gear for something a lot less cliche, like an invasion of pink self aware printers that shoot high speed prints at you?

Razielle Alastor
Jun 19th, 2007, 04:48:17 PM
Well, I have my sword collection. The kids have bats. We're out-doorsie so we have camping gear and such, mostly though we have my trusty weiner dog Molly. She''ll alert us to the presence of the trudging undead and birds and squirrels alike. ;)

Edit: I have my herbal collection too, about 65 different kinds, so I don't know that I'll be able to cure them, but in a pinch maybe I could go Willow from Buffy and mix up a protective glowing orb of a circle or something, who could say! :p

Karl Valten
Jun 19th, 2007, 04:51:21 PM
Failing that, I would make all haste to Charley's house.

I second that.

Khendon Sevon
Jun 19th, 2007, 05:39:12 PM
I believe Charley is the man to go to in a Zombie Crisis (deserving of caps).

Razielle Alastor
Jun 19th, 2007, 05:53:29 PM
Yes, the last Zombie scare I was in the process of doing a mapquest thing to 'Bama from my house as I recall.. :mneh

Travis North
Jun 19th, 2007, 05:53:41 PM
What if they were Plan 9 zombies?

Liam Jinn
Jun 19th, 2007, 06:15:27 PM
I don't know why, but for some reason I think Diet Coke and Mentos should be mentioned in this thread...

Rutabaga
Jun 19th, 2007, 07:17:23 PM
Cricket bat (or pool cue, depending on what is available) and a box of old vinyl records.

:mneh

Agreed. Plus a few darts and an old Winchester rifle. :D

Parsideon Denix
Jun 20th, 2007, 12:52:50 AM
Okay okay since I've been namedropped I guess I'll post here ;)

I just recently bought me a bug-out bag, which would work in a Zombie situation as much as anything else I guess :)

http://www.1sks.com/store/maxpedition-monsoon-gearslinger.html

In this pack, I store a 100 ounce camelbak water reservoir with an additional 1 liter water bottle (about a day's worth of H2O in a distance walking scenario and you will need every drop of it!). Don't be complacent, you will have to refill your water constantly so you should be on the move in search of it.

You will also want food, in the event that you cannot hunt, fish, scavenge, or steal it. People may suggest MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat) such as the ones used by the military. I don't recommend these, because they aren't consistently survivable in high temperatures and they take up too much space that you do not have. You want to pack nutrient and calorie dense food. Ideally, things that you don't have to prepare, require no heat, and leave little or no mess. Power bars, jerky, dry fruit & nuts, these are ideal because you can hit your RDA, consume your calorie bulk for your daily level of activity, and save space. They do make some great survival rations here (http://www.survivorind.com/foodr.html) that break meals down into 400 calorie bars which you can consume as you see fit. They're very space-manageable.

A rudimentary medical kit (latex gloves, triangle bandages, gauze, disinfectant, meds, scissors, tourniquet etc) is a must. Know how to use your meds. You should be certed in first aid and CPR like I am, at the very least. At best, moonlighting as an EMT would be top notch if you can afford to do it (I haven't). It's also smart to be keen on personal hygiene. Pack baby wipes instead of deodorant, pack soap in a watertight container. Toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss if you're travelling on an extended basis. Crush toilet paper rolls and wrap TP around them to save space.

I've still got to buy most of my survival aids (strike-anywhere matches, water filter, iodine tablets, batteries, maps, compass, para rope, karabiners etc) Don't just pack the map and compass, learn how to use them. This isn't my strongest suit but I'm taking the effort to brush up. If you are in my shoes, you may also want to add a layer of redundancy to your navigational needs and buy a hand-held GPS unit. I am in the market for one that is both man-portable, but also cradles into a vehicle for voice navigation. It's not failsafe, but it's a good tool you should have at your disposal. In addition,I've got a very warm sleeping blanket, a tarp, and a thermal blanket when I decide to sleep.

Clothing, don't bother too much. You want good walking boots (I need to upgrade) and either BDU's or sturdy, lightweight long-sleeve/hem outerwear that you can slip a fleece over if you must. You don't need a change of these clothes. What you will need are undergarments. Three pair of socks, two pair of underwear, and two undershirts. Wear one set of each and find time to dry the others where possible. Pack a fleece if it gets cold, and a poncho if it gets rainy. Utilize head cover to protect from heat and cold alike. I use an Arab Shemagh, which not only warms the head, soaks up sweat on the neck, etc, it's a jack-of-all-trades cloth and I highly recommend buying one. Think bandana, but more useful. You'll also want a pair of gloves you can work in. I swear by mechanix gloves, because they're strong as hell and you maintain a high level of dexterity with them.

You'll likely want four knives. One, a multitool. One, a small pocket folder. One, a large pocket folder, and a final one being a large fixed blade knife or bayonet. You'll be set with about as many flashlights or lamps. I have a weaponlight, a lamp, and a high intensity LED. I need to buy a surefire, and a kinetic (human-powered) flashlight to complete this. Add to this an entrenching tool (tiny shovel) and a small hand axe or hatchet to be able to manipulate the terrain about you to some degree.

Now, how do you survive in this environment? As in, stay living and make the undead, well...dead?

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/LoungieMu/patrolready.jpg

You don't need much, so this is what I would use, for both living and undead alike.

The pistol is a Ceska Zbrojovka '75 SP-01 tactical in 9mm, with night sights, an accessory rail that can mount a weaponlight, and a magazine capacity of 18 rounds, with 1 in the chamber. It's a double-action semi-automatic, so it's a pretty straightforward close defense weapon. I currently carry Cor-Bon jacketed hollow points in this weapon but I will be changing to Hornady TAP defense ammunition. The preference is my personal nitpick, and as long as you can find ammunition and keep your weapon on target, you will be fine. I stress that if you carry a pistol, go with what you are comfortable shooting, and not what I choose for my own preference. This sidearm stows into an internal holster built into my travel pack.

The carbine is a modified & customized CAR-15, and is an amalgamation from several manufacturers. I suggest a light combat carbine because the ammunition is light, the weapon is generally light, and your effective range is only out to about 200 meters, depending on optics. Things like Beretta CX4 Storm, AR-15, AK-47 variants, and similar weapons are about the size you want. Be advised that you want something that is not only light, but with ammunition available to scrounge. The above examples I have given fire 9mm, .223/5.56, and 7.62x39mm which are all light, military cartridges which can be found in many places by the thousands.

I have an Eotech holographic weaponsight on this carbine that offers no magnification, so I usually call my shots at about 50-150 meters. You do not need more than this, so don't convince yourself that you do. If you're shooting at distances requiring sight mag, using some hunter's rifle, you are picking a fight you don't need to pick. The best weapon you have is your own two feet, so walk away from threats that you can walk away from. If you can't walk away or clever yourself away, then you use that carbine and you shoot yourself a clear lane and escape. I can carry a combat load of about 210 rounds for my carbine and still be mobile, so I wouldn't go much higher than that. You aren't trying to rid a town of zombies, you are trying to survive. A fighting retreat is a very good strategy to have.

Razielle Alastor
Jun 20th, 2007, 07:31:21 AM
I am so coming to your house if the Zombies are ever real. I'll bring my swords! :D s'Il can give me a clove to suck on and keep me shutted up. ;) besides, it a proximity thing, you are only like 3 hours away. :p

Parsideon Denix
Jun 20th, 2007, 07:59:12 AM
Don't come to our house. We won't be there, because it isn't a defensible position. The moment I hear something is up, we would be gone. Truth be told, it takes far more in resources and vigilance to hold your ground in a siege than it does to simply stay mobile and out of trouble.

Another thing that also bears consideration is how will you interact with other humans? If you want to have a good idea of what to expect from your fellow man, take to reading Lord of the Flies, Heart of Darkness, etc. The hardest part about an end-world scenario like a zombie uprising is not the zombies at all. It's coming to terms with your humanity and how much ground you should give up to inhumanity. Do you let every doe-eyed wandering stranger into your traveling band, so they can use your resources irregardless of their worth and contribution to the group effort? Or do you consider other people to be fair targets to attack and steal from in order to ensure that you always have the means to survive?

These are questions I can't answer for you, let alone myself. But you have to be ready to ask the question at least.

Heir Raktus
Jun 20th, 2007, 09:16:45 AM
Sadly enough I've thought alot about what to do in case of a Night of the Living Dead scenario. I live maybe a mile away from a Dick's Pawn Shop, a building full of weapons and amunition (Guns, swords, knives and whathaveyou) as well has riot glass windows and bars covering them as well as the doors. It's a freaking fortress, located convienently a block away from a grocery store as well, perfect for supply runs. So my initial weapon would be the bar from my weight set. It's solid, 5 pounds in itself, and has enough reach for me to keep them pesky critters out of reach of me. Once I got to the pawn shop though, I'd have my pick of some choice stuff....

EDIT: Oh, and if it seems possible, I'd bring what family I could from the neighborhood with me. If not, I'd go it alone and hope other people survive the end of the world, cuase I'm not bringing anyone else with me. I don't get along with people in a normal situation, let alone the end of life.

Khendon Sevon
Jun 20th, 2007, 09:56:40 AM
I've still got to buy most of my survival aids (strike-anywhere matches, water filter, iodine tablets, batteries, maps, compass, para rope, karabiners etc) Don't just pack the map and compass, learn how to use them. This isn't my strongest suit but I'm taking the effort to brush up. If you are in my shoes, you may also want to add a layer of redundancy to your navigational needs and buy a hand-held GPS unit. I am in the market for one that is both man-portable, but also cradles into a vehicle for voice navigation. It's not failsafe, but it's a good tool you should have at your disposal. In addition,I've got a very warm sleeping blanket, a tarp, and a thermal blanket when I decide to sleep.

Go for climbing accessory cord instead of para rope. It's stronger, more elastic, and in a super scary situation you can rappel with a single strand, rescue someone, arrest a crevice fall, etc. Para cord isn't rated as high as climbing accessory cord. (Para = 550 pounds, 6mm climbing accessory chord = 1530 pounds).

As for a compass and GPS. They're nice to have; but, you should train in using neither. My mentor is a veteran of Mt. Hood, Rainier, Denali, Utah deserts, South American volcano climbing, crazy other stuff and he never carries a compass or GPS. Instead, he uses a wrist based barometer and altimeter combination to check his altitude and compare it against what his map says.

Of course, what's nice about that combo is that they generally have digital compasses built in, too. So, if you are stuck in an overcast area without trails or a map, that's a handy feature to figure out what direction to go (if you know where you want to get to).

Difficulty with a GPS in Zombie Survival is recharging it. They do sell solar recharges for outdoor activities. I'd look into these if you want to go that route.

As for water filtration. Iodine tablets trump water filters ("pumps") in a survival situation. What trumps both? Ultraviolet filters. You can buy a solar charger for the UV filter and it becomes an indispensable resource.

Water pumps require filter changes and it will be difficult to find filters in a Post Zombie Invasion. Iodine tablets require replacements, taste nasty (adding vitamin C makes the taste manageable), and still requires you to boil the water (which I suggest no matter what).

Tarps are great because you can fashion a solar still in a dire situation to filter water for you. I'd suggest getting the SAS Survival Handbook.

Clothing, don't bother too much. You want good walking boots (I need to upgrade) and either BDU's or sturdy, lightweight long-sleeve/hem outerwear that you can slip a fleece over if you must. You don't need a change of these clothes. What you will need are undergarments. Three pair of socks, two pair of underwear, and two undershirts. Wear one set of each and find time to dry the others where possible. Pack a fleece if it gets cold, and a poncho if it gets rainy. Utilize head cover to protect from heat and cold alike.

I somewhat disagree. Superlight packing calls for two pairs of socks, two pairs of underwear. I personally skip undershirts, especially if they're made of cotton.

If you're going to be surviving in cold terrain, clothing is extremely important. The more cotton you wear, the less likely your chances of survival. Most buildings will no longer have heating, so, take this to heart:

Cotton does not retain its heating qualities when wet. Additionally, it absorbs odors readily. When wet, it also gains in weight. There's a common mountaineer phrase: "Cotton is killer."

Outdoor stores sell synthetic underwear, wool socks (SmartWool is my favorite), and synthetic clothing. All of these are key elements to survival outdoors without modern amenities. They provide warmth even when wet, are less likely to retain odor, and can save your hide if you jump into freezing water.

So, how do you prevent your clothing from smelling funky? Well, assuming you're being mobile, rotate your socks every 6 or so hours. Take a pair off and hang them from your pack and put the other pair on your feet. This also helps keep your feet dry. The same can be done with other clothing. Don't wait until it has an odor or is threadbare; instead, rotate regularly and allow the other garment to fly like a flag on your pack.

Fleeces are great. You can throw them on easily and take them off. I have an Arc'Teryx sniper fleece and it's amazing. It's a simple pullover that is woven in such a way as to be wind and rain resistant. I wear it as an outer layer when I'm climbing frozen ice. Don't be afraid, get two or three. You can find ones that'll pack down to small sizes and are super light weight. They're indispensable.

Dress to the conditions. If you live in an area that's warm nearly the entire year, you probably don't need too much. But, I'm in Jersey. Fall, winter, and early spring are all cold. It can be cold on summer days high in the mountains. Even on the warmest day you can get hypothermia from cold water.

So, my survival pack would include my Arc'Teryx sniper fleece and my Mountain Hardware Monkey Man fleece (long fibered fleece similar to animal fur) along with a thin water and wind proof shell (I could manage to throw my rain jacket over, probably, and just have enough layers to stay warm). Additionally, my flint/magnesium fire starter are vital to making a fire to keep warm.

It's really crazy. Mobile Zombie Survival would probably require all the mountaineering skills needed for conquering a mountain. Of course, at one time, everyone who was mobile utilized these skills.

As for First Aid and CPR: Red Cross and other modern First Aid and CPR courses assume you're in an urban environment where you can get professional support rapidly. Sure, it's nice to have; but, will it help you when you can't call an ambulance?

Even EMT training revolves around getting the person to a hospital rapidly.

Additionally, none of these certifications cover how to get a person out of the location without extra help (ambulance). I'd suggest Wilderness First Aid at the least. There's also Wilderness First Responder and Wilderness EMT. They throw the "You're days from any sort of medical facility" into the mix. Plus, you'll learn how to treat hypothermia, heat shock/exhaustion, etc. in a survival situation.

Yog
Jun 20th, 2007, 10:43:13 AM
Sadly enough I've thought alot about what to do in case of a Night of the Living Dead scenario. I live maybe a mile away from a Dick's Pawn Shop, a building full of weapons and amunition (Guns, swords, knives and whathaveyou) as well has riot glass windows and bars covering them as well as the doors. It's a freaking fortress, located convienently a block away from a grocery store as well, perfect for supply runs. So my initial weapon would be the bar from my weight set. It's solid, 5 pounds in itself, and has enough reach for me to keep them pesky critters out of reach of me. Once I got to the pawn shop though, I'd have my pick of some choice stuff....

My situation is very similar to yours, except even better: I have the Norwegian Royal Guard training grounds next door. The buildings and areas are perfect for fortification and defense against zombie attacks. More weaponry than you can wish for and trained professionals for protection. I also have a grocery store close for supplies, and 10 minute walk to some major store chains.

Unfortunately, I much agree with Charley's way of thinking here. In life and death situations like these, you really cannot trust anyone else than yourself to survive. Appocalyptic scenarios can put enormous stress on the human mind leading to irrational decisions and behavior, even among military personnel. In a resourceful group / setting, your chances are only as strong as the psyche of those leading the defense.

If it comes to the point I would have to make it on my own, I would get myself a $15 crowbar and snag one of these assault rifles from the deposits across the street: <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HK_416>Heckler & Koch HK416</a>. For personal protection against zombies and worse. It's lightweight, accurate, very durable and easy to maintain. Demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8r1Iy7SpZE

I would then have to make it to the <a href=http://www.wheelerfolk.org/norweb/photos/02oslofirst/24ferr~1.jpg>harbor</a>. There are hundreds of boats there of any kind, including house boats, which are excellent for long term survival on the Oslo Fjord. As you all know, there is only one law that applies under zombie invasions: Darwin's Law. I will replace my moral compass with a magnetic one, and snag me a boat.

Why a boat? Because zombies can't swim. The harbour is also strategically close to some of the best stores in town. Everyone who seen Godfather of all zombie movies <a href=http://imdb.com/title/tt0077402/> Dawn of The Dead</a> (1978), knows how important supplies are. Naturally, I would pick up essential gear, clothes, food supplies, fuel, and some books to train my mind while being extended time at sea.

On board the boat, I also need one of these for fresh water:
http://www.dolphindesalinators.com/faq.html

At sea, I would anchor up at safe distance from the shore / harbor, preferably at one of the many isles in the fjord, out of sight not to stirr attention. I would likely spend some time fishing, which would provide me with fresh food supplies when I deem it too risky on shore. And the fresh water should keep me alive as well.

Heir Raktus
Jun 20th, 2007, 11:11:48 AM
Well, my only problem would be if they were RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD zombies, the ones that could talk if they still had a tongue, not to mention run and semi-reason. Really, any zombie that can do more than shamble has got me. Figure the main benifit of Zombies are their numbers, and if you add to their numbers the speed ability, its all over.

Other than that though... I mean, unless other people decided to set up camp in the area as well, I would be all set. Inside 1/4 a mile radius of my intended survival site are:

4 Gas Stations
5 Car Dealerships
2 Grociery Stores
1 Walgreens (Think Eckerds)
7 different fast food places
1 Blockbuster (you get bored during the appocolypse yo)
Assorted small shops including Computer repair/distrubution, health supplies/Health food, ect
Oh, and an entire Tanger shopping center (Think outdoor mall)

Honestly, Id be set in terms of supplies once I got to my source of weapons.

Ariel View (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=internal&addtohistory=&latitude=67V0IpY2HoHEJEtJXLPikw%3d%3d&longitude=9AzY9taNgk%2fN0UMi2kJOsQ%3d%3d&name=Dick%27s%20Pawn&country=US&address=4765%20Highway%20501&city=Myrtle%20Beach&state=SC&zipcode=29579&phone=843%2d236%2d7735&spurl=0&&q=Dicks%20pawn%20shop&qc=Check%20Cashing%20Service)

http://therebelfaction.com/forums/image.php?u=122&type=profile&dateline=1153327217

Khendon Sevon
Jun 20th, 2007, 06:07:48 PM
Unless others get to those supplies before you. That's the risk you run not having pre-stock.

Heir Raktus
Jun 20th, 2007, 07:23:23 PM
Most will loot quickly on their way somewhere, with the number of places with resources available, I think there will be quite a number left....

Parsideon Denix
Jun 20th, 2007, 07:49:41 PM
Go for climbing accessory cord instead of para rope. It's stronger, more elastic, and in a super scary situation you can rappel with a single strand, rescue someone, arrest a crevice fall, etc. Para cord isn't rated as high as climbing accessory cord. (Para = 550 pounds, 6mm climbing accessory chord = 1530 pounds).

It's a good choice too. I mentioned para because more places I see sell it.

As for a compass and GPS. They're nice to have; but, you should train in using neither. My mentor is a veteran of Mt. Hood, Rainier, Denali, Utah deserts, South American volcano climbing, crazy other stuff and he never carries a compass or GPS. Instead, he uses a wrist based barometer and altimeter combination to check his altitude and compare it against what his map says.

Well realistically, my method plans for redunancy and ease of use. You can certainly learn to navigate this way, but it takes years of experience to guide on reference points alone. It's probably not the most user friendly thing.

Difficulty with a GPS in Zombie Survival is recharging it. They do sell solar recharges for outdoor activities. I'd look into these if you want to go that route.

They also have battery chargers too, if I recall. People should already have an ample quantity of these (I'm talking about several dozen)

As for water filtration. Iodine tablets trump water filters ("pumps") in a survival situation. What trumps both? Ultraviolet filters. You can buy a solar charger for the UV filter and it becomes an indispensable resource.

It's also going to take up more space though.

Water pumps require filter changes and it will be difficult to find filters in a Post Zombie Invasion. Iodine tablets require replacements, taste nasty (adding vitamin C makes the taste manageable), and still requires you to boil the water (which I suggest no matter what).

You need both filters and purifiers, because you are trying to deal with particulate, biological, and non-biological contaminants. Bad taste from tablets (I never thought it was too horrible) can be endured. I'm not gonna put flavor packs in a camelback and foul it up because the water has a funk to it.

Tarps are great because you can fashion a solar still in a dire situation to filter water for you. I'd suggest getting the SAS Survival Handbook.

Yes, solar stills are awesome and easy to set up. I've got the US Army surival manual and it goes into great detail.

I somewhat disagree. Superlight packing calls for two pairs of socks, two pairs of underwear. I personally skip undershirts, especially if they're made of cotton.

I wear Under Armour. It takes up far less space in a pack, compresses, and wicks moisture.

Outdoor stores sell synthetic underwear, wool socks (SmartWool is my favorite), and synthetic clothing. All of these are key elements to survival outdoors without modern amenities. They provide warmth even when wet, are less likely to retain odor, and can save your hide if you jump into freezing water.

I agree on the synthetics and smartwool, but you still need sturdy outer coverings. 5.11 available at http://www.actiongear.com makes tactical pants that are tougher than nails and mindful of a high activity / high movement / survival-oriented operator. I own five pair of these and will be buying more. Your overshirt should be of similar sturdy stuff, but less important than your pants. I suggest long sleeves for the simple issue of keeping vermin off of you.

So, how do you prevent your clothing from smelling funky? Well, assuming you're being mobile, rotate your socks every 6 or so hours. Take a pair off and hang them from your pack and put the other pair on your feet. This also helps keep your feet dry. The same can be done with other clothing. Don't wait until it has an odor or is threadbare; instead, rotate regularly and allow the other garment to fly like a flag on your pack.

You can also "sun" your clothing if you are stopped in the daylight hours, which works well. If you're wearing synthetics, the time needed for this is very little, so it works great.

Fleeces are great. You can throw them on easily and take them off. I have an Arc'Teryx sniper fleece and it's amazing. It's a simple pullover that is woven in such a way as to be wind and rain resistant. I wear it as an outer layer when I'm climbing frozen ice. Don't be afraid, get two or three. You can find ones that'll pack down to small sizes and are super light weight. They're indispensable.

Why two or three? You really should only need one. Two if you romp in a blizzard with no poncho or fall in a river I guess.

Additionally, my flint/magnesium fire starter are vital to making a fire to keep warm.

Consider adding vaseline & cotton balls in a pouch to serve as kindling as well, You may not have the luxury of dry scrubwood to get a good flame set.

It's really crazy. Mobile Zombie Survival would probably require all the mountaineering skills needed for conquering a mountain. Of course, at one time, everyone who was mobile utilized these skills.

It's what makes some of this stuff interesting. You are rediscovering yourself and your past.

As for First Aid and CPR: Red Cross and other modern First Aid and CPR courses assume you're in an urban environment where you can get professional support rapidly. Sure, it's nice to have; but, will it help you when you can't call an ambulance?

Even EMT training revolves around getting the person to a hospital rapidly.

Additionally, none of these certifications cover how to get a person out of the location without extra help (ambulance). I'd suggest Wilderness First Aid at the least. There's also Wilderness First Responder and Wilderness EMT. They throw the "You're days from any sort of medical facility" into the mix. Plus, you'll learn how to treat hypothermia, heat shock/exhaustion, etc. in a survival situation.

Again, it was mentioned for convenience. Obviously there is better training to be had, but it usually requires you to have a medical profession or experience as a combat medic. The reality of the fact is that even combat docs were only around to stabilize people for transit to the rear. In this environment, you may very well be doing the same.

Parsideon Denix
Jun 20th, 2007, 07:53:09 PM
If it comes to the point I would have to make it on my own, I would get myself a $15 crowbar and snag one of these assault rifles from the deposits across the street: Heckler & Koch HK416 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HK_416). For personal protection against zombies and worse. It's lightweight, accurate, very durable and easy to maintain. Demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8r1Iy7SpZE

The armory has those? That is rather interesting.

Also, your water plan is pretty shrewd. Of course, if it's a World War Z scenario, zombies can walk on the sea floor, so it's not quite a safe bet, even on a faraway island. Keep your head on a swivel.

Khendon Sevon
Jun 20th, 2007, 08:21:53 PM
Not to get in a quote war :)

It's a good choice too. I mentioned para because more places I see sell it.

Any outdoor store (REI, EMS, BRMS, etc) should have climbing accessory cord. Agreed, though, most military surplus stores, etc. will have para cord.

They also have battery chargers too, if I recall. People should already have an ample quantity of these (I'm talking about several dozen)

I'd rather not have to make treks to places to look for batteries. Plus, electricity probably won't be running for very long without people to maintain the grids, etc.
http://www.rei.com/product/751233

It's also going to take up more space though.

Actually, the UV kit takes up about as much space as a pump if not less. Not to mention, for its weight/size you'll get more water than you would out of a the comparable weight of a pump/filter set since this can be reused and reused and reused.
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Hydro%2DPhoton/idesc/Adventurer+UV+Water+Purifier/Store/MG/item/112698/N/0
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Hydro%2DPhoton/idesc/Solar+Charger+for+Adventerer+UV+Purifier/Store/MG/item/112699/N/0

I wear Under Armour. It takes up far less space in a pack, compresses, and wicks moisture.

Underarmor is great. I spent a week climbing/camping/hiking/canoeing with a long sleeve underarmor shirt as my base layer. I would hang it up every night on a line. Worked well.

I agree on the synthetics and smartwool, but you still need sturdy outer coverings. 5.11 available at http://www.actiongear.com makes tactical pants that are tougher than nails and mindful of a high activity / high movement / survival-oriented operator. I own five pair of these and will be buying more. Your overshirt should be of similar sturdy stuff, but less important than your pants. I suggest long sleeves for the simple issue of keeping vermin off of you.

To me, it seems overkill. I usually go hiking/camping/climbing with lightweight climbing pants. They're made of nylon composites and take a beating pretty well. I've fallen on sharp rocks and they stayed together. Only thing that's marked them so far would be crampons while ice climbing. Solution for that is a pair of gaiters--which I had with me but didn't put on.

Still, this is probably a matter of personal preference. I'd rather carry two pairs of light pants than a single pair of pants equal to their combined weight.

Why two or three? You really should only need one. Two if you romp in a blizzard with no poncho or fall in a river I guess.

Well, I'm assuming cold weather conditions. Layers are king. I use thin, lightweight fleeces that can be layered in different ways for different conditions.

Sure, you could have a single bulky one or maybe two; but, that limits your layering options. Besides, one of the worst things you can do is sweat when you're in cold temperatures. At the same time, when you stop moving you need to add more layers.

I tend to wear fleeces instead of long sleeve shirts. I like to wear a short sleeve technical shirt underneath and, when it's cold, a layer of underarmor.

Consider adding vaseline & cotton balls in a pouch to serve as kindling as well, You may not have the luxury of dry scrubwood to get a good flame set.

Good advice if you don't know which barks will light even when soaked. You can also collect lint from your clothing. Personally, though, I know pretty much which trees to get shavings from even when it's pouring. The magnesium makes it so a spark will start on anything.

Charley, when are we gonna' write an apocalypse survival book? :)

Heir Raktus
Jun 20th, 2007, 08:48:54 PM
I'd like to argue against the mobile beating a set point plan. If we take Day of the Dead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead_%28film%29) as a zombie example, being directed by George A. Romero (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_A._Romero) himself, we see that unless you encounter them directly the Zombies will remain relatively dormant after a set period of time. If you set yourself up in a set base of operations, such as done in said movie, and dont disturb the local populations your set to survive till you die a natural death to come back to eat the people around you.

Otherwise, we can take Land of the Dead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_the_Dead), another George A. Romero (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_A._Romero) make, as a wanderers example. While true in both these movies those that bunker down and hole up are murdered most horribly, they are only done so by wanderers disturbing the native zombies. That and wanderers tend to get snuck up on or overwhelmed by the sheer zombie numbers.

LESSONS: If you're holed up for the long haul and encounter wanderers, kill them and stash their bodies down the path they came. Make sure to place the corpses far enough away that anyone following their trail (dead or otherwise) wont notice your hideaway from that point.

SIDE LESSON: Make sure your base is defended by more than ply wood or chain link...

Heir Raktus
Jun 20th, 2007, 09:18:32 PM
Found this on a website.... hehe....

Here are a few of my own rules for surviving a zombie attack. I've found that if you follow these rules, you have a better chance of getting out of this alive. I say better, because most people die. So it's like buying 3 lotto tickets instead of 1. You can trust my tips, because I am one of the foremost Zomboligists in the world.

1) Don't save anyone, don't even try.

2) The laws of man no longer apply. The Laws of the jungle is in full effect. That means you should screw over anyone you can.

3) Eat any kind of food you come into contact with. Food is hard to get in a zombie invasion.

4) Guns are worth a lot. Bullets are worth more than anything. If you meet a kind soul that has a lot of spare bullets, shoot him and take the bullets.

5) Find a two story building and block off the staircase. Then find a way to sleep on the roof. This isn't a good long term survival method, but it will buy you some time. Take water onto the roof. Shoot any zombies that look like smokers. You don't want that jerk burning your house down...or forcing his second hand smoke on you.

6) If traveling with a group, kill the crazy guy in your group. I think most zombie movies have made the reason for this quite clear.

7) If traveling with a group, and someone is injured, kill them without hesitation. If anyone in your group objects, kill them too. If you do this, you are now the crazy guy in the group, watch out for rule 6.

8) The military is not your friend. "Join the army, see the world, save people from zombies" is not their motto.

9) Zombies don't care if its night or day. Limit your excursions to daytime. In fact, don't have any excursions. This is a zombie attack, not a visit to Disneyland you *******.

10) If you are well supplied and safe, for Godsakes, don't leave your current position. Anyone that saw the new Dawn of the Dead movie surely must have realized that that entire group got itself killed using nothing but their own combined stupidity.

11) Boats are a losing strategy.

12) My Dad used to always say to me: "Remember aLs, in case of a zombie invasion, you never have to reload a machete." It's true.

13) Having a zombie escape plan not only saves time, it saves lives. Ask yourself this, do you know where you're supposed to meet family and friends when the undead scourge comes? You are living on the edge my friend.

14) Wear lots of leather. Wear anything that is hard to bite through. Don't wear so much that you can't run. Girls: Skimpy clothing is a stupid idea. Your best bet is tight leather. Yeah. Tight leather. Wear that.

15) Stop shooting zombies in the torso you jerk. Ammo doesn't grow on trees.

16) Put your cellphone on vibrate. One ring at the wrong moment can spell disaster. Also, if it rings while we're having dinner or I'm talking to you, and you answer it, I am going to invoke rule 2 and push you off the side of the building.

17) That scary looking dog is not your friend. Do not pet him.

18) If you are covered in zombie blood, take a shower. If someone were to cut you, and that blood got into the wound, you'd be infected. If you're infected, then watch out for rule 7. Hopefully someone will avenge you with rule 6.

19) You will be encouraged to go to some kind of emergency shelter. This is the most suicidal suggestion you will hear all day. If everyone jumps off a bridge, are you going to do that too? You're a freaking tool if you say yes.

20) There will be some people in your group that insist that their voodoo priest grandfather used to say, "When hell is full, the dead will walk the Earth." Let me tell you, I knew that voodoo priest too, and he also used to say "I eat 3 tubs of mayo every week." So take it with a grain of salt.

21) If one of the people in your group is a pilot or doctor, protect them at all costs. If you are a pilot or doctor, you will most certainly be killed by the zombie horde. They tend to kill the most useful people in the group. Absolutely, under no circumstances, should you teach the pregnant girl how to fly the helicopter. You were really asking for it when you did that, moron.

22) If you light a zombie on fire, you give it another way to kill you. Now it's a shambling fireball. What was going through your head when you lit the thing on fire? It's almost like you want to die.

23) Dead zombies may have useful things in their pockets. Search them. Stealing from the dead is not tacky, it's profitable.

24) Don't be an attorney. Remember what happened to the attorney in Jurassic Park? I know that isn't a zombie movie, but I feel that it can be applied across the board.

25) Lie to the rest of your group and tell them you know where a secret underground base is where there's lots of food and water. That way, if you end up in a scary situation, your group will sacrifice many of its number to save you.

26) If rule 25 comes into play, steal your group's stuff and strike it out on your own. They are gonna be so pissed when they realize they fell for the old "I know where a secret base is" ********.

27) Keep an eye on the head scientist. I think he's up to something.

28) Think of this whole thing as a vacation. Try to keep your morale up. The attacks will continue until morale improves.

29) Stop blaming God. This wasn't his bad. Blame the Dutch. This is all on them.

30) Contrary to public opinion, zombies make horrible slaves.

Parsideon Denix
Jun 20th, 2007, 09:59:33 PM
Any outdoor store (REI, EMS, BRMS, etc) should have climbing accessory cord. Agreed, though, most military surplus stores, etc. will have para cord.

Haha, yeah. That's half my problem sometimes ;)

I'd rather not have to make treks to places to look for batteries. Plus, electricity probably won't be running for very long without people to maintain the grids, etc.
http://www.rei.com/product/751233

That doesn't suck. Cool find.

Actually, the UV kit takes up about as much space as a pump if not less. Not to mention, for its weight/size you'll get more water than you would out of a the comparable weight of a pump/filter set since this can be reused and reused and reused.
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Hydro%2DPhoton/idesc/Adventurer+UV+Water+Purifier/Store/MG/item/112698/N/0
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Hydro%2DPhoton/idesc/Solar+Charger+for+Adventerer+UV+Purifier/Store/MG/item/112699/N/0

The problem with these is that they don't do anything against particulates and non-bio toxins and contaminants. That's why the filter is recommended because it's the best line of defense against those things, while UV or pure tabs can kill any microbes free-floating in the filtered water. You gotta get both sides of that coin.

Underarmor is great. I spent a week climbing/camping/hiking/canoeing with a long sleeve underarmor shirt as my base layer. I would hang it up every night on a line. Worked well.

Their compression boxer briefs are probably the best thing they make, suprisingly. They don't have a flap though, so be forewarned!

To me, it seems overkill. I usually go hiking/camping/climbing with lightweight climbing pants. They're made of nylon composites and take a beating pretty well. I've fallen on sharp rocks and they stayed together. Only thing that's marked them so far would be crampons while ice climbing. Solution for that is a pair of gaiters--which I had with me but didn't put on.

Still, this is probably a matter of personal preference. I'd rather carry two pairs of light pants than a single pair of pants equal to their combined weight.

The reason I suggest these as I do is because they're excellent gearslinging pants as well. The belt loops are double width, the knees are double reinforced fabric, and the hemlines on this thing could probably take a sweep from a knife and stay in tact. The pockets are low profile, but hold a lot of gear. You've got a carabiner strap in the back, lanyard loop up front, MASSIVE rear slash pockets, a pocket that can accept a handgun magazine, and a few other features I'm sure that I'm neglecting. I've worn these for years and even the first pair I bought haven't shown signs of fatigue.

Well, I'm assuming cold weather conditions. Layers are king. I use thin, lightweight fleeces that can be layered in different ways for different conditions.

Sure, you could have a single bulky one or maybe two; but, that limits your layering options. Besides, one of the worst things you can do is sweat when you're in cold temperatures. At the same time, when you stop moving you need to add more layers.

I tend to wear fleeces instead of long sleeve shirts. I like to wear a short sleeve technical shirt underneath and, when it's cold, a layer of underarmor.

No, this makes sense. Packing some UA Heatgear to augment this would be great as well.

Good advice if you don't know which barks will light even when soaked. You can also collect lint from your clothing. Personally, though, I know pretty much which trees to get shavings from even when it's pouring. The magnesium makes it so a spark will start on anything.

You can know all of this and still lack trees suitable in your area when it's time to hunker down. Mind you, if you plan forward, you can mix up a similar starter fuel from whatever you find while on the fly, but a handful of cotton and vaseline in a ziplock takes up very little space to start.

Charley, when are we gonna' write an apocalypse survival book? :)

I need more time to test things before I give serious advice. I don't even know how to skin a deer yet!

Heir Raktus
Jun 20th, 2007, 11:15:18 PM
So going to run out and buy World War Z now....

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 20th, 2007, 11:20:00 PM
Go to the coast.

Put your back to the sea.

Two against the world.

Heir Raktus
Jun 20th, 2007, 11:51:16 PM
Took the survivability test on the website.... 32%

Considering I went back and lied the second time to get the best answer and only got to 50%.... I think I would have done damn well considering I live on the East Coast.

Parsideon Denix
Jun 21st, 2007, 01:16:26 AM
Finally dressed out the early stages of my mobile oppression backpack:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/LoungieMu/rig3.jpg

I took a horrible myspace mirror picture wearing this crap and I hate the picture. I'll model for you ladies later.

Yog
Jun 21st, 2007, 04:46:31 AM
The armory has those? That is rather interesting.

It's set to become the standard assault rifle of the Norwegian military. I did some checking. While the contract for first delivery was in april, the first shipment is in november. Although, the royal guard will be the first to get it, I will have to settle for the good old <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AG-3>AG-3</a> if the invasion takes place today. Not my favorite weapon, but it's very easy to find. And hey, it can pentrate 7 zombies in a row.

Finally dressed out the early stages of my mobile oppression backpack

Wow, that is some awesome zombie survival gear. Congratulations, you are preparing well!

Morgan Evanar
Jun 21st, 2007, 07:14:30 AM
I'd probably do my best to get to one of the water-locked Keys ASAP and then figure things out from there.

Khendon Sevon
Jun 21st, 2007, 09:22:27 AM
I guess one of the pieces I need to buy when I get a job would be a firearm. I don't have the cash flow to spend on a nice one right now. Plus, where I am it's very, very difficult to get a membership at the firing range (waiting list).

But, that's the element of my survival gear that's really lacking.

Parsideon Denix
Jun 22nd, 2007, 07:30:15 PM
If you get a gun, go light. I'm already realizing a lesson in my rig, which is the carbine isn't going to cut it.

You need to carry light weapons, or be in super physical condition. Probably both really. That said, I would recommend carrying a pistol, and MAYBE a light pistol carbine like a Beretta CX4 Storm or a Kel Tec Sub 2000. The latter is especially suited to being a minimalist, light weight shoulder-fired weapon.

Oh well. At least my CZ can convert from both 9mm to .22LR readily, so I can shoot small game as well.