PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Official book thread no spoilers until 7/21

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 18th, 2007, 02:54:53 PM
This will be the offical book thread for the final Harry Potter book. Here you can discuss what might happen or share your anticipation for the upcoming book. Still, I won't allow any spoilers to be posted in here until the book is released. Once the book is released you can post spoilers using the spoiler code. I won't stop speculation or theories because those are fair game.

sirdizzy
Jun 18th, 2007, 03:09:58 PM
Harry Potter dies

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 18th, 2007, 03:12:48 PM
Hermione is Harry's sister! :eek

Is anyone else really depressed that this is the last book though? :( Feel so old.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 18th, 2007, 03:19:57 PM
LOL well I won't remove those :p I am not sure if there are any real spoilers out there. I know there is fanfic floating around claiming to be a draft of Deathly Hallows. Probably won't see any real spoilers pop up until a week before the book, but I rather not have them on here. Once the book gets released in England though it is fair game.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 18th, 2007, 03:21:31 PM
Hermione is Harry's sister! :eek

Is anyone else really depressed that this is the last book though? :( Feel so old.

I know I think I will be very sad when I finish reading it. It will feel like an end of an era to me. No more LOTR movies, Star Wars movies done and now the Last Harry Potter novel. Still have the movies but I don't think they will ever be the same as the books.

Droo
Jun 18th, 2007, 03:25:08 PM
In HBP we learnt about Horcruxes; the method by which Voldemort remains immortal; and that the dark lord has supposedly created six of them. The seventh piece of Voldemort's soul being the last piece within his body. The diary has been destroyed. The ring also. That leaves the locket, the cup, the snake, and aparently something belonging to Gryffindoor or Ravenclaw.

Dumbledore said that the behaviour of the snake, Nagini was curious. It had changed since becoming a Horcrux to a piece of Voldemort's soul and he also said:

"However, if my calculations are correct, Voldemort was still at least one Horcrux short of his goal of six when he entered your parents' with the intention of killing you."

When he tried to kill Harry, the spell apparently backfire, leaving Voldemort almost dead and Harry with an odd scar. When he grew up, it became apparent that Harry posessed some of the qualities of Lord Voldemort; he's a parselmouth, he is a powerful wizard, he wields Voldermort's brother wand, he has a thirst to prove himself, etc; but what is most interesting is that there seems to be a connection between him and Voldemort.

His scar burned when Voldermort was near or feeling some intense emotion and he could see what Voldemort was seeing on occassion. There's a definite link between them and I think I know why:

I believe Harry Potter is Voldermort's sixth and final horcrux.

I think that inside Harry is a piece of Voldemort's soul and that is why he posesses so many of his qualities. Why would Voldemort use the boy, who was according to the prophecy destined to defeat him, as a horcrux in which to store a piece of his soul? Simple. In order for his enemy to defeat him, he must first be dead. And if this is the case, while Harry Potter lives, Lord Voldemort cannot die.

There is a big question mark over the fourth of the remaining horcruxes and I think this is why; it's a really interesting twist and I'm going to ponder on this theory more in the future.

That was the theory I posted in the HBP thread and I stand by it, with the addition that it's possible that Voldemort accidently turned Harry into his last horcrux, hence why he has tried to kill him on a number of occassions. That said though, it does take the shine from the ingeniousness of the plan, had Voldemort done this deliberately.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 18th, 2007, 03:47:17 PM
In HBP we learnt about Horcruxes; the method by which Voldemort remains immortal; and that the dark lord has supposedly created six of them. The seventh piece of Voldemort's soul being the last piece within his body. The diary has been destroyed. The ring also. That leaves the locket, the cup, the snake, and aparently something belonging to Gryffindoor or Ravenclaw.

Dumbledore said that the behaviour of the snake, Nagini was curious. It had changed since becoming a Horcrux to a piece of Voldemort's soul and he also said:

"However, if my calculations are correct, Voldemort was still at least one Horcrux short of his goal of six when he entered your parents' with the intention of killing you."

When he tried to kill Harry, the spell apparently backfire, leaving Voldemort almost dead and Harry with an odd scar. When he grew up, it became apparent that Harry posessed some of the qualities of Lord Voldemort; he's a parselmouth, he is a powerful wizard, he wields Voldermort's brother wand, he has a thirst to prove himself, etc; but what is most interesting is that there seems to be a connection between him and Voldemort.

His scar burned when Voldermort was near or feeling some intense emotion and he could see what Voldemort was seeing on occassion. There's a definite link between them and I think I know why:

I believe Harry Potter is Voldermort's sixth and final horcrux.

I think that inside Harry is a piece of Voldemort's soul and that is why he posesses so many of his qualities. Why would Voldemort use the boy, who was according to the prophecy destined to defeat him, as a horcrux in which to store a piece of his soul? Simple. In order for his enemy to defeat him, he must first be dead. And if this is the case, while Harry Potter lives, Lord Voldemort cannot die.

There is a big question mark over the fourth of the remaining horcruxes and I think this is why; it's a really interesting twist and I'm going to ponder on this theory more in the future.

That was the theory I posted in the HBP thread and I stand by it, with the addition that it's possible that Voldemort accidently turned Harry into his last horcrux, hence why he has tried to kill him on a number of occassions. That said though, it does take the shine from the ingeniousness of the plan, had Voldemort done this deliberately.

an Intersting theory, although I have some problems with it. First why would Voldemort want to kill a part of himself? Besides he wanted to kill Harry because of the prophecy not because he made him a horocrux. I am not sure how one could accident be turned into a horocrux. I didn't bother to put this udner spoiler code because I feel this is more theory and speculation, it could be true, but we don't have to hide it for now.

Alexia Marzullo
Jun 21st, 2007, 10:15:04 PM
I have heard other people mention that to, that Harry could be a horocrux, but I do not think it possible either.

Another theory that is similar to that is that Voldemort did only have 5 horocruxs when he went to kill Harry and that he was not prepared for the spell to backfire and the snake just recently became his 6th horocrux once he was back to full power in the end of book 4.

I am not really sure what I think about that though, but I do think that the other unmentioned one would be something from Ravenclaw. Voldemort is not good enough to get something from Gryffindoor.

I do think that Voldemort did transfer some of his power to Harry, but not his soul. I think much more went down at Godric Hallows than we know about. Maybe he was trying to turn Harry into a horocrux, but I doubt it.

As for the prophecy, I don't know think it means that one has to sacrifice himself to kill the other - Harry must die to kill Voldemort yes, but then that would also mean that Voldemort would have to die to kill Harry - I don't think that is going to happen. Though, he doesn't know that because both attempts at hearing the prophecy were ruined
I know that killing off Harry would make it nice and easy - so no one will be able to write about Harry Potter ever again, but why kill off the main characters of a 7 part series? I mean, how horrible. I think there would be a lot of angry people at J.K.
But, on the other hand - I am trying not to believe that he will live either, I don't want to set myself up for disappointment

And, I have no idea how to do spoiler thing, so if this is considered spoiler, sorry and just edit them in if you must

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 21st, 2007, 10:58:46 PM
Those are spoilers so you are cool. Right now I am leaning to Harry living. And it is stupid to say she will kill him off so no one can write about him. As long as she is alive no one can write about him but her so I don't get that.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 17th, 2007, 09:17:27 AM
I am bumping this up. Also there are some possible scans going around from the book. It might be a hoax. I honestly have no idea because I haven't read any of them, but I don't want to see them here. Don't post any spoilers until the book gets released (I think it will be in England first).

Hartus Kenobi
Jul 17th, 2007, 09:19:28 AM
I also have a hard time believing that Harry will die, but I think it might be the more powerful ending for me. But Voldemort needs to die one way or the other.

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 17th, 2007, 09:19:43 AM
The guy I live with has ordered a copy, which will be arriving on Saturday. Sadly he is going to be away then, so I am going to have to read it first myself!

:eee

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 17th, 2007, 09:24:38 AM
Heh I am going to get it at midnight on Friday. I will probably get it finished by Sunday night :)

Hartus Kenobi
Jul 17th, 2007, 09:34:43 AM
I stood on line for the release of the last 3 books, so I'll be doing the same with this one. I probably won't be going to sleep Friday night until I finish.

Jedieb
Jul 17th, 2007, 10:06:56 AM
I have a question, if you haven't read ANY of the Potter books and only seen a few of the films, can you jump right in and read this last one? I may read this last one but I just wonder if I'll be totally lost about who's who and what's at stake.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 17th, 2007, 10:13:19 AM
Well if you have seen the first five films you could jump into the sixth book without much problem. The seventh would be tough because several things happen in the 6th that is pretty hard to skip.Of course you could go to places like Wikipedia and read the plots of the first 6 novels and jump in that way.

Droo
Jul 17th, 2007, 02:32:11 PM
If you're going to read the seventh book without having read the others, then I strongly advise reading at least the sixth book first. You wouldn't know where you are if you didn't, having said that, I think you should read all of them in sequence so that nothing throws you off. :p

Darth McBain
Jul 17th, 2007, 02:47:45 PM
Mine's on order, but I just took the free shipping from Amazon, so I won't get it until a couple days after the fact. Its convenient, though, because I'm working on another book at the moment and won't be done until around when it arrives. I'm definitely excited for this last book, but not so much so that I'll be up all night reading it straight through - I want to take the time to enjoy it.

Park Kraken
Jul 17th, 2007, 04:39:36 PM
I'm not going to read the book. I haven't read any of the books, I'll just look up the spoilers online to see who died. Or, knowing out local newspaper, read the Life section one day after the book comes out, where they'll most likely spoil the readers as to who died in the first few sentences.

Oh, BTW, here is the promised costume pictures from the movie:

Wyl Staedtler
Jul 17th, 2007, 04:42:05 PM
:lol Awesome.

I don't know if I want to read the book. I really don't feel like seeing all my favourite characters subjected to, as JKR put it, "a bloodbath". It just seems such a waste. :(

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 17th, 2007, 05:39:19 PM
Yeah I am afraid there will be a lot of deaths. That part will be very emotional.

Jaime Tomahawk
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:14:30 PM
Yeah I am afraid there will be a lot of deaths. That part will be very emotional.

Yes, there are. Most are not a surprise however. It's.... pretty good. And frankly there is a lot of surprises in regards to Dumbledore more that anything else. I think it's a good ending and ties most things up well.

I am bumping this up. Also there are some possible scans going around from the book. It might be a hoax. I honestly have no idea because I haven't read any of them, but I don't want to see them here. Don't post any spoilers until the book gets released (I think it will be in England first).

THIS IS NOT A HOAX. The quality is crap in some places so not really worth it. I doubt anyone will accept the leak as an acceptible replacement for the actual book

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 17th, 2007, 09:15:33 PM
I am not reading any of that.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 17th, 2007, 10:46:31 PM
Also according to media reports their are three different versions of the book out there and they conflict each other. One of the page numbers don't even match up. I wouldn't read anything like that, one because I would be given into temptation and second it could be fake.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 17th, 2007, 11:26:30 PM
I moused over Mark's spoilers, don't worry if you accidentally do as well. They're not anything TOO revealing plot-wise.

Now that all the books are out I might actually pick up book 1. This way I can race through the series and read it in .. a fraction of the time you all have put into it. ;)

Jaime Tomahawk
Jul 18th, 2007, 01:23:28 AM
Also according to media reports their are three different versions of the book out there and they conflict each other. One of the page numbers don't even match up. I wouldn't read anything like that, one because I would be given into temptation and second it could be fake.

The real one is obvious and it is not a hoax. However Bloomberry wont be losing sleep over it, anyone who downloads it will certainly be keen enough for the real thing.

Wyl Staedtler
Jul 18th, 2007, 02:39:18 AM
I have heard Things about the book. Bad Things. Bad Things Which Involve the Complete Character Assassination of Beloved Canon Figures.

It has been called the 'Apotterclypse'.

:(

If it's true, I'm not even finishing the book. I just can't. :cry

Jedieb
Jul 18th, 2007, 09:56:31 AM
Wikipedia is probably my best bet. I've got a ton of books waiting for me and I don't have the time to read 6 Potter novels. I'm tempted to Wiki the first 5 and read #6, but I've got a bunch of Lemony Snikets books that I bought on sale to read to my kids so I just don't think I'll have the time.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 18th, 2007, 02:33:23 PM
Now, A Series of Unfortunate Events is a pretty good children's series. I really enjoyed it. Er, not that I'm a child. :uhoh

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 18th, 2007, 05:45:24 PM
I moused over Mark's spoilers, don't worry if you accidentally do as well. They're not anything TOO revealing plot-wise.

Now that all the books are out I might actually pick up book 1. This way I can race through the series and read it in .. a fraction of the time you all have put into it. ;)

Okay cool, oh and people are getting real copies of the book this week. Some sites sent them out early.

sirdizzy
Jul 18th, 2007, 08:42:33 PM
Am I the only one with disbelief that Jaime has read the real Deathly Hallows book. I find it hard to believe that Jaime got an advanced copy when someone like Stephen King was unable to procure one (he says so in his entertaiment weekly semi monthly closing notes) even though he tried to obtain a copy early.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 18th, 2007, 08:48:38 PM
Maybe he hacked it. ;)

Seerriss
Jul 18th, 2007, 10:22:30 PM
it's been leaked all over, some idiot posted it on Gaia, he's getting sued and got Gaia on the news for it....oi vie....

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 18th, 2007, 10:39:40 PM
Am I the only one with disbelief that Jaime has read the real Deathly Hallows book. I find it hard to believe that Jaime got an advanced copy when someone like Stephen King was unable to procure one (he says so in his entertaiment weekly semi monthly closing notes) even though he tried to obtain a copy early.

It sounds like some people got it early from a couple of internet sites (never heard of the ones who did it). I am guessing he read some of it at least. I rather not read a blurred copy myself. If anybody wants to read a review from the NY Times you can go here.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/books/18cnd-potter.html?ref=books

There are some spoilers but nothing like deaths or what happens in the end. A lot of it is just a general plot synopsis and the reviewer's opinion of the book. It sounds great. And it sounds like My theory that the final battle will take place at Hogwarts might be true.

Jaime Tomahawk
Jul 19th, 2007, 12:17:18 AM

The book is availible if you know where to look. The simple fact is just about ALL print or A/V media is usually available early, no matter how closely guarded.

Wyl Staedtler
Jul 19th, 2007, 12:49:32 AM
Everyone should just read this (http://mistful.livejournal.com/102180.html) instead.

sirdizzy
Jul 19th, 2007, 12:56:56 PM
Personally I can wait 2 days and know I have a real copy rather than taking some chances on the web and leaked tidbits of the book. I won't be revisting this thread once I have the book and until I have finished it. Some people read the books in a day and it takes me a week so once everyone has the book I don't want to take a chance of getting hit by a spoiler like whether Harry dies or not.

I am actually though tempted to read the last chapter first to see the outcome but I know I won't because if I learned nothing from the Star wars prequels sometimes the anticipation is better than the actual product. the anticipation of finding out whether Harry lives and dies is going to be better than actually knowing. I am on the fence on whether I want him to live or die and I think I will be happy either way but once I know, I know and theres no going back.

I saw some funny tshirts just after I finished the Half Blood Prince that had a chalk outlike and the words Dumbledore dies, had I seen them before I read the outcome I would have been pissed, seeing them afterwords I thought them rather funny. I am sure its going to be near impossible avoiding hearing if Harry lives or dies but I will do my best. Thats the central thing I want to know, I mean Voldermort is going to die and Harry and him will face off we know this now its just the loose ends that need to be tied up.

Is Snape evil, why did Dumbledore sacrifice himself, will Ron and Hermione survive, are there any other deaths coming.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 19th, 2007, 03:50:17 PM
All spoilers should be kept masked by the spoiler tags until three weeks after the book has been released.

The staff will be alert and keeping an eye on things to make sure spoilers are tagged. If someone leaks deaths, etc, or anything deemed incredibly revealing by the moderators, there will be consequences. :)

Figrin D'an
Jul 19th, 2007, 04:30:30 PM
Bold red text is serious business.

I honestly don't know when I'm going to get around to reading "Deathly Hallows"... I'm still in the middle of "The Children of Húrin", as well as casually reading another book. By then, it will probably all be spoiled for me anyway, despite my best attempts to avoid such things.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 19th, 2007, 04:33:15 PM
Well, I wanted it to stand out so people would see it. :uhoh

Lianna Mal Pannis
Jul 19th, 2007, 06:08:45 PM
I haven't read any of the books, but I am going to keep my friend company in line for the midnight release :)

I get to skim the last few chapters and taunt him with my knowledge :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 19th, 2007, 07:18:17 PM
All spoilers should be kept masked by the spoiler tags until three weeks after the book has been released.

The staff will be alert and keeping an eye on things to make sure spoilers are tagged. If someone leaks deaths, etc, or anything deemed incredibly revealing by the moderators, there will be consequences. :)

There is one way to make sure it stands out :)

Jaime Tomahawk
Jul 19th, 2007, 10:06:41 PM
Holly kills Dumbledore

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 19th, 2007, 10:11:07 PM
Holly kills Dumbledore

Noo! That's impossible.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 20th, 2007, 11:23:34 AM
A few more hours to go, so who do you think will live or die?
Here are some of my guesses.
Harry will live. I feel very firmly on this. I think people read too much into what Rowling says about him not suriving. Voldemort of course will die. Who else will die, well I think Snape is dead. After killing Dumbledore, I can't see him surviving. And if he is a double agent Voldemort's side will want him dead as well. I actually think he will do something to redeem himself. Most of the major villains will die Wormtail, Bellatrix, most of the Death Eaters. Heck I am tempted to say all the Dementors will drop dead because they are now connected to Voldemort now. The good guys, well some major character will die but its tough to predict. I think Ron, Hermione, and Ginny will live. I also think both Neville and Luna will survive. The deaths will be in the adults for the most part. I would say at least one from this group: Hagrid, Lupin, Moody, McGonagall, and Tonks. Also one of the Weasleys could die (although I think Ron and Ginny are safe). Various other secondary characters could perish include professors, students, and ministry officials. Oh I also think Malfoy will live. I think he is the one who got the reprieve. I guess we will see how right I am in a few hours.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 20th, 2007, 04:49:22 PM
Holly kills Dumbledore

And then I ate him. With ketchup. That's right, I'm a cannibalistic wizard murderer.

Ryan Pode
Jul 21st, 2007, 12:19:51 PM
Well. I've finished reading the book. All I can say is wow. Just wow.

The final battle at Hogwarts was just amazing. The way it all unfolded was simply brilliant. Gah. I'm still too emotionally charged right now.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 21st, 2007, 12:26:58 PM
Well. I've finished reading the book. All I can say is wow. Just wow.

The final battle at Hogwarts was just amazing. The way it all unfolded was simply brilliant. Gah. I'm still too emotionally charged right now.

I finished it too I agree with you about the final battle that was very emotional. And there were a lot of deaths a few, Lupin, Tonks and Fred really surprised me. The others came as no shock to me. It is a great end to the series.

Ryan Pode
Jul 21st, 2007, 01:24:59 PM
Tonks and Lupin was a big shock to me. I think I reread that paragraph ten times. I think one of the bigger shocks of the story to me, was Mrs. Weasley killing Bellatrix. I guess I never thought of her as much of a dueler.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 21st, 2007, 05:14:20 PM
Tonks and Lupin was a big shock to me. I think I reread that paragraph ten times. I think one of the bigger shocks of the story to me, was Mrs. Weasley killing Bellatrix. I guess I never thought of her as much of a dueler.

I had to reread it too. I couldn't believe what I had read. And Yeah I didn't think Mrs. Weasley was going to kill Bellatrix either. I thought sure it would be Neville.

Hartus Kenobi
Jul 21st, 2007, 07:22:29 PM
Thought it was okay- better than the last few books. Didn't really think the last chapter was necessary though.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 21st, 2007, 07:29:19 PM
Thought it was okay- better than the last few books. Didn't really think the last chapter was necessary though.

I agree there I didn't like that either. I didn't care for the Nineteen years in the future bit. I just don't like jumping that far ahead. Unless she is going to write some books to fill in the gap, but I doubt that happens unless she gets guilted into it by the fans. I bet that will get cut that out of the movie. I guess I was looking more to something of what happened to all the major living characters. Also anybody else sad that the series is over? I mean we still have two movies and the hope that she writes a history of the universe. I also think I am going to let it settle a week or two and reread the book. I think I rushed through some of it and missed a few things here and there.

Ryan Pode
Jul 21st, 2007, 07:46:07 PM
I was sad to see it end. I felt she did justice to Neville. I remember just thinking him to be a loser in the first couple of books. That weak character that would be a liability but in the end, Neville killed Nagini. I get all misty-eyed when his parents are mentioned by his Gran. And the Epilogue was just that final reaffirmation that Voldemort is dead. That Harry triumphed over him for good. I'd like to see Rowling write books covering the original rise of Voldemort. See how both the Potters and Longbottoms defied Voldemort three times. The original Order of the Phoenix.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 21st, 2007, 07:56:15 PM
I was sad to see it end. I felt she did justice to Neville. I remember just thinking him to be a loser in the first couple of books. That weak character that would be a liability but in the end, Neville killed Nagini. I get all misty-eyed when his parents are mentioned by his Gran. And the Epilogue was just that final reaffirmation that Voldemort is dead. That Harry triumphed over him for good. I'd like to see Rowling write books covering the original rise of Voldemort. See how both the Potters and Longbottoms defied Voldemort three times. The original Order of the Phoenix.

She could do that. She could also write some books covering the nineteen years after Voldemort's downfall. I wouldn't mind reading books telling the rebuilding of Hogwarts and the Ministry and also showing the two couples get marries. I also think she could create a new evil threat and focus a couple of books on that if she wanted to.

Ryan Pode
Jul 21st, 2007, 08:06:25 PM
She could do that. Either way, I'd read it.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 21st, 2007, 08:15:03 PM
I would read it too.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 21st, 2007, 11:07:44 PM
She seems pretty adamant that Harry's story is over, that she has no intention of writing anything else about the students of Hogwarts.

Anyway, I just finished reading it: I thought the 'Epilogue' was going to be awful at first, but the last line made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The scene with Harry and the 'spirits' of Lilly, James, Sirius and Lupin walking towards the Forest gave me chills, and the whole Battle of Hogwarts was great. It also made me smile to see that Snape wasn't really a bastard all along.

Atreyu
Jul 21st, 2007, 11:43:29 PM
Finished reading it last night (Aust time) and re-read the last 150-200 pages again this morning. Great book - I'll have to re-read the series again from the start rightn through to fully grasp all the little hints and clues throughout the series.

The only complaint I have against Book 7 at the moment would probably be the constant camping scenes and hiding that seemed to dominate the 2nd qtr or so - really slowed the novel down IMHO. Although once we got past half way things picked up again really quickly which was great.

Sad about the deaths. I have to confess I'm scratching my head at the necessity of knocking off Lupin AND Tonks - especially after just having a baby. Still, what intrigues me the most is which character Rowling decided to let live (as she mentioned in numerous interviews).

As for the whole "19 yrs later bit", it was nice but not really necessary IMHO. I suppose it's her way of establishing that there won't be any books of Harry at 20 or something.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 22nd, 2007, 08:55:26 AM
She seems pretty adamant that Harry's story is over, that she has no intention of writing anything else about the students of Hogwarts.

Anyway, I just finished reading it: I thought the 'Epilogue' was going to be awful at first, but the last line made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The scene with Harry and the 'spirits' of Lilly, James, Sirius and Lupin walking towards the Forest gave me chills, and the whole Battle of Hogwarts was great. It also made me smile to see that Snape wasn't really a bastard all along.

Well she recently said that she would never say never. I figure worse case we get a history of the universe type book. That would probably be the 8th and final book. Although, Doyle said he would never write another Shrelock Holmes story and after a couple of years gave into the fans and wrote some more.

QuiGonJ
Jul 22nd, 2007, 01:57:05 PM
She has said she might
write an encyclopedia covering Harry's world as a fundraiser in the mold of the Fantastic Beasts and Quidditch Through the Ages books.

My one disappointment was her not detailing if the wizards learned anything about how to treat the goblins, giants, centaurs etc after the war ended.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 22nd, 2007, 05:19:45 PM
She has said she might
write an encyclopedia covering Harry's world as a fundraiser in the mold of the Fantastic Beasts and Quidditch Through the Ages books.

My one disappointment was her not detailing if the wizards learned anything about how to treat the goblins, giants, centaurs etc after the war ended.

I would be cool with that, as long as it is something like the Star Wars Encylopedia that Lucas put out.

Seerriss
Jul 22nd, 2007, 08:34:01 PM
finished the book, don't read my spoiler if you aren't done yet....one thing I didn't quite get even though re-read it many times Harry goes about telling Voldemort about the elder wand, saying it chose a new master who had never touched it, the new master removed the wand from Dumbledore against his will without realizing what he had done, yadda yadda and that was Draco...I don't remember the last bit of the other book but the wand chose him since Malfoy took the wand with the take away wand spell? And then Harry goes on to say he is the master due to he took Draco's (not the elder wand) wand?

Atreyu
Jul 22nd, 2007, 09:05:57 PM
finished the book, don't read my spoiler if you aren't done yet....one thing I didn't quite get even though re-read it many times Harry goes about telling Voldemort about the elder wand, saying it chose a new master who had never touched it, the new master removed the wand from Dumbledore against his will without realizing what he had done, yadda yadda and that was Draco...I don't remember the last bit of the other book but the wand chose him since Malfoy took the wand with the take away wand spell? And then Harry goes on to say he is the master due to he took Draco's (not the elder wand) wand?
My understanding is this:

* Although Snape killed Dumbledore, because it had been pre-arranged he therefore forfeited any claim to have 'defeated' Dumbledore.
* As a result of the above, since Draco was the one who disarmed Dumbledore prior to his death, Draco is recognised as having defeated him and therefore claims the Elder Wand (even though it was Snape who killed Dumbledore, and the Elder wand was buried with him).
* In Book 7, Harry diasarms Draco and therefore defeats him - therefore he gets to claim Draco's wands, which includes Draco's normal one plus any others he had ownership of - this includes the Elder wand.

That's how I get it. The real confusing part is over the fact that Draco never actually took the Elder wand himself, and the Elder wand had no involvement when Harry disarmed Draco but ownershop still transferred to him anyway (at least I think that's what happened - I'll have to re-read it all again).

Yeah, really confusing - the review that said that you could dedicate a whole book just to wand-lore as a result of all this stuff wasn't kidding.

That's how I understood it all anyway - I'd be very interested if anyone has any other plausible (and hopefully less confusing) explanations on what happened. :)

Seerriss
Jul 22nd, 2007, 09:11:18 PM
ah, makes more sense that way, I just wasn't really connecting how that all came about given what happened...

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 22nd, 2007, 09:19:47 PM
My understanding is this:

* Although Snape killed Dumbledore, because it had been pre-arranged he therefore forfeited any claim to have 'defeated' Dumbledore.
* As a result of the above, since Draco was the one who disarmed Dumbledore prior to his death, Draco is recognised as having defeated him and therefore claims the Elder Wand (even though it was Snape who killed Dumbledore, and the Elder wand was buried with him).
* In Book 7, Harry diasarms Draco and therefore defeats him - therefore he gets to claim Draco's wands, which includes Draco's normal one plus any others he had ownership of - this includes the Elder wand.

That's how I get it. The real confusing part is over the fact that Draco never actually took the Elder wand himself, and the Elder wand had no involvement when Harry disarmed Draco but ownershop still transferred to him anyway (at least I think that's what happened - I'll have to re-read it all again).

Yeah, really confusing - the review that said that you could dedicate a whole book just to wand-lore as a result of all this stuff wasn't kidding.

That's how I understood it all anyway - I'd be very interested if anyone has any other plausible (and hopefully less confusing) explanations on what happened. :)

Yeah it is very detailed. I had to think about it and reread some of it to fully understand it.

QuiGonJ
Jul 26th, 2007, 07:31:05 AM
Article for ya...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/

JK spills the beans on what everyone does after the book. Definitely spoilery...

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 26th, 2007, 08:12:54 PM
Article for ya...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/

JK spills the beans on what everyone does after the book. Definitely spoilery...

I read that, plus I read a USA Today article today that revealed that
Arthur Weasley was suppose to die and Tonks and Lupin were suppose to live. I knew the latter was the case mainly because there deaths happned so quickly and there wasn't much resolution. Arthur Weasly was the last character I would have suspected to have gotten a reprieve

Droo
Jul 26th, 2007, 08:24:02 PM
Her reasoning for it was that she had intended him to die in Order of the Phoenix, but couldn't bring herself to doing it, partly due to other losses in the Weasley family and secondly, she'd decided to kill off another father(Lupin) and didn't want to leave too many children fatherless.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 26th, 2007, 08:31:28 PM
Her reasoning for it was that she had intended him to die in Order of the Phoenix, but couldn't bring herself to doing it, partly due to other losses in the Weasley family and secondly, she'd decided to kill off another father(Lupin) and didn't want to leave too many children fatherless.

That makes sense I wonder why she decided to kill Lupin and Tonks? Lupin I wonder was because he was the last of the Mauraders so it does make sense. I just wish she had a better send off for them. Lupin was one of my favorite characters and I felt sad he didn't get much recognition. It didn't hurt the book too much for me but that and I didn't completely like the epilogue (maybe I will like that better when I reread it) are the only two neagtive things I can think of right now.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 26th, 2007, 08:31:33 PM
Wow. I wonder when Arthur Weasley was supposed to die... very interesting interview. I'm glad to hear that Harry became an Auror :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 26th, 2007, 08:55:35 PM
Wow. I wonder when Arthur Weasley was supposed to die... very interesting interview. I'm glad to hear that Harry became an Auror :)

Me too and Ron. I think this book showed that he was almost on the same level as Harry.

sirdizzy
Jul 27th, 2007, 03:23:06 PM
JK is such a coward, she can't deny she has been dropping hints that she was going to kill Harry off and then she finally does and she resurects him. Its Superman all over again, if your going to kill him, kill him don't mess around. And the epilogue felt so tacked on, like it was to make all the fans happy and forget she killed off half of the cast.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 27th, 2007, 04:50:23 PM
JK is such a coward, she can't deny she has been dropping hints that she was going to kill Harry off and then she finally does and she resurects him. Its Superman all over again, if your going to kill him, kill him don't mess around. And the epilogue felt so tacked on, like it was to make all the fans happy and forget she killed off half of the cast.

Well she said in an article
that she purposely left the epilogue vague to keep fans talking. I guess she wants the information to come out slowly until she publishes that encyclopedia. Also I don't think she ever intended to kill Harry. I think the hints were to keep the audience wondering until the end.

Droo
Jul 27th, 2007, 05:09:08 PM
I don't think it has anything whatsoever to do with her being a coward. It's madness to have killed Harry off for good, no matter what creative liscense you have. Think about it: Harry's life has been from just after his first birthday nothing but misery misery misery. He needed a happy ending, but the character also needed to come along so far that he was ready to die for the cause he believed in and the people he loved. The one rule in Rowling's magical world is that once someone is dead, they're dead. Harry is the big exception because as mentioned by Dumbledore, what happened between him and Voldemort has never been seen before. Harry mastered death by facing it.

As she said in an interview I watched, she was very proud of the fact that fans were going into Book 7 with the opinion that Harry, the chief protagonist, could very well die. She wanted the threat to be so high that people felt noone was safe. I think she skillfully walked a very fine line, she brought the character to the furthest of limits and beyond and he was rewarded with his happy ending. The epilogue was much longer but she felt that as a piece of writing, it didn't work, so she scrapped it. I'm sure many writers here can understand that. Plus, I'm fairly certain she kept a more concise version of the epilogue intact so that her fanbase understood that this was the end of Harry's story.

I cannot wait for the encyclopedia.

Cat X
Jul 27th, 2007, 06:07:18 PM

Awwwww, she didnt kill Harry for your enjoyment. Well cry me a river. IF you have paid ANY attention during the series or indeed the book itself, you would have seen she had no intention of doing that at all and that the 'death' was in fact needed, as well as his return. Geeeez!

sirdizzy
Jul 27th, 2007, 11:00:59 PM

Awwwww, she didnt kill Harry for your enjoyment. Well cry me a river. IF you have paid ANY attention during the series or indeed the book itself, you would have seen she had no intention of doing that at all and that the 'death' was in fact needed, as well as his return. Geeeez!

I can't swear here but my first thoughts after reading that post was screw You, you can feel in the blanks, ohh cry me a river you unattentive idiot that was about the rudest most ignorant butt holey thing I have ever read so I say again screw you and I don't care if I get in trouble

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 27th, 2007, 11:08:52 PM
Thread warned. Another language violation and it will be closed. Edit your post to remove the pink lettering and substitute and more intelligent word and the thread warning will be removed.

Droo
Jul 28th, 2007, 04:39:26 AM
Frankly dizzy, my sentiments were similar to Cat X's after reading your post, your comments certainly gave off the impression that you were just a bit bitter she didn't kill him off for good. Yes, Cat X's post might be a bit strong but I am not suprised by it since your innitial post was so clumsy. If you take the time to expand on your grievances then perhaps the sarcastic responses will cease.

Yog
Jul 28th, 2007, 05:29:47 AM
OMG... POTTER DRAMA! :lol

It's a book about a wizard boy who can ride a flying broomstick and got a magic wand.

/perspective

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 28th, 2007, 07:58:34 AM
Come on Dizzy there is no reason to swear or whatever you did. You can say you are unhappy and that is fine but you don't have to be rude to someone who has a different opinion. Although, admitely Cat was a little strong in dissing you and I don't think there is any reason to take that kind of attitude either. But you didn't need to send an even worse attitude back at him.

sirdizzy
Jul 28th, 2007, 12:50:44 PM
I am sorry after reading his post tthat was the first thing that popped into my mind and I don't mind getting in trouble for it. I could have worded it better, I could have been like cat and slung insults in a more subtle way that doesn't violate the censors but sometimes a simple up yours and the high horse you rode in on just feels so much better and expresses your feelings. and originally it didn't violate the censors hence the fill in the blanks comment evidently I created a new word for the censors to censor using ____ .

I said earlier that it wouldn't bother me if she let him live or die but thats tell I read the book.

It's one thing to say that Harry is the hero and his life has been nothing but misery and that he must live and finally find happiness. So let him live then. She kills him off in the book and resurects him fifteen seconds later. Why, I used the Superman reference because this is something that irritates me in movies its killing off a character and not having the balls to stick with it. If your not going to leave em dead, don't freaking kill them then invent some lame excuse on how they can comeback (the death of Lois Lane in Supes 1 was one of the worst sequences ever). Its cowardly, you are saying you want to kill them but you can't go through with it, so kill them and then bring them back all at the same time, I despise the tactic.

Yog
Jul 28th, 2007, 01:08:24 PM
If you think the Louis Lane revival thing was bad, you should check out the Richard Donner cut of Superman II. The spin the world trick you saw in the first movie is recycled, basically making the entire second half of the movie not happen.

Droo
Jul 28th, 2007, 02:40:16 PM
Actually, it's not recycled. The only turning back the world sequence originally intended in the Donner films was written for Superman II. However, the studio wanted that sequence in the film to impress audiences because they feared it wouldn't do very well. As it is, we'll never get to see the original ending of Superman: The Movie.

Just wanted to clear that up a little. Sorry about the hijack. As for your views on what Rowling has decided to do with her story, I completely disagree for my above reasons and more. I remember watching an A&E documentary about her and she said that she cared about her fanbase immensely, but she would never allow the expectations of anyone to influence even one word of her fiction and rightly so. She understands her world implicitly, moreso than any of us, and just because you're disappointed by your expectations not being met does not make her a cowardly author whatsoever. I simply don't see you argument holding any water.

sirdizzy
Jul 28th, 2007, 03:49:27 PM
You see it in films all the time, they kill the character off and then regret it and in the sequel they bring back that character. It rarely works sometimes they do it off screen so they can claim hey you never really so what happened (whistler in Blade comes to mind) but its all the same they killed the character off and then brought them back. I hate it so bad it makes my teeth ache. Superman is an example of where they do it in a single movie, its bad enough when they do it for a sequel but its triply worse when they do it in the same movie. I mean if your going to kill a character, kill the character don't play the hahaha I was only kidding game, thats what I hate, thats what I think is cowardly. I mean I think it was brave for rowling to kill off a few of the other characters but for the most part those killings were minor.

the only two majors in book 7 were Snape and Fred. They are the only characters that existed in book 1 and were there for the entire series. Fred gets it because with how many Weasley's there are one had to get the axe. I think it would have been more intriguing to actually keep Snape alive after Harry finds out he was good all along. I mean there is a fantastic dynamic there that she will never get to explore. You see hints of it as Harry names ones of his kids after Snape but its ruined for the most part by his death.

And Rowling can claim whatever she wants after the fact, that the fans did not influence the book buts that bogus and even she hints at it. You can't prove it either way, only Jo knows for sure. I can't prove the fans influenced her decisions and you can't prove that they didn't. So its a moot point, all we can go by is what we have read in the books themselves.

Droo
Jul 28th, 2007, 04:14:25 PM
It's not moot, I'm going by a source, that source being Rowling herself in the documentary. She had the ending written for a long long time. If you think that after all this time, after all the misery that character had been through, the journey he has made, the trials he has overcome, she was just going to kill him off then I think you were a bit deluded(and I don't mean that in a condescending way - I believed Harry dying was a real possibility but I also believed stronger in the fact that she couldn't put this character through all this misery and suffering for his entire life only to have it cut short and die).

So short of killing him off, she structured her story to unravel so that when he did suffer the Killing Curse and survive, it made sense. As I said earlier, she wanted to push Harry to his very limit and have him make the ultimate sacrifice as a hero, and reward him appropriately. I can't fathom how after seven books of building up to that point, you are of the opinion she conjured up the idea of killing Harry off only to bring him back the night before, just as a bit of fanboy teasing. In fact, you want proof?

For a fleeting instant, Harry thought he saw a gleam of something like triumph in Dumbledore's eyes.

That was the sentence which followed Harry explaining to Dumbledore that Voldemort had taken his blood to return in Goblet of Fire. Even then, Rowling was laying the groundwork for Harry's return. As explained in Deathly Hallows, the magical protection from his mother's sacrifice had from that moment forth existed in Voldemort's blood, and even when Harry was killed it still existed, saving him from death - I see the way this works as a good magic version of a horcrux. Harry's "death and resurrection" was always in the works, even from the very first book when Lilly Potter died to save her son.

That said, there was nothing rash or crass about Rowling's choices pertaining to this particular plot point. It's been there in the background since day one.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 28th, 2007, 04:33:12 PM
I agree with Droo here. I have pretty much thought for a couple of years that Harry was going to live. Although I got worried when I got to that one chapter where you thought he might die. I go back to the Hero's Journey. I can't think of one major hero that died in Greek Mythology or in any epic fantasy story. Sure Hercules died but it was years after he did all of his major accomplishments. Now Greek tragedy and Shakespear's Tragedy's are a different story but Potter was never a Tragedy series.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 28th, 2007, 04:34:48 PM
I am sorry after reading his post tthat was the first thing that popped into my mind and I don't mind getting in trouble for it. I could have worded it better, I could have been like cat and slung insults in a more subtle way that doesn't violate the censors but sometimes a simple up yours and the high horse you rode in on just feels so much better and expresses your feelings. and originally it didn't violate the censors hence the fill in the blanks comment evidently I created a new word for the censors to censor using ____ .

Circumventing the swear filter by using your imagination, so that we all know what word you are using anyway, is the same thing as tripping the swear filter. In fact, we like it even less because it shows you know that you're not supposed to use the word you are using, but willfully do it anyway.

Thread warning lifted, fyi. Thank you for editing.

Atreyu
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:28:14 PM
::bump::

Well I re-read Book 7 again late last week. Enjoyed it more the 2nd time through since I wasn't rushing through it so quickly. :) The camping scenes (my original complaint) didn't seem so bad this time around.

All up I was satisfied overall. One complaint I am sympathetic with is that the locating of the horcruxes seemed a tad too convenient (one in Hogwarts, one in the Lestrange vault etc) - put it down to expectations, but I guess I really expected there would be a lot more trouble trying to find them after Book 6, and whilst its true that Harry had no idea what to do until about midway through the book the way they just seem to pop up one after the other seemed, to use the words again, too convenient. I'm still left wondering whether Rowling may have been better served if she had written Book 6 & 7 together, then simply split them in 2, as it may have helped spread out the horcrux storyline rather than leaving it too the final book, but oh well - I still liked them anyway. :)

Really loved the backstory on Dumbledore, as well as seeing Aberforth have a decent role. The hallows were an interesting plot point, although I did feel they distracted from the horcrux search somewhat. Having said that, they did tie in nicely with Dumbledore's backstory so I shouldn't complain too much.

Anyway, I'm now re-reading the series from the beginning (just finished Book 4 - starting Book 5 today). I must admit I had forgotten just how good the earlier stories were - Book 2 in particular (considering it often comes last on people's lists of preferred HP books), the earlier novels were a lot tighter and focused with their plots compared to the later books. It's also cool seeing little hints and nudges here and there now that you know how everything ends.

Doc Milo
Aug 11th, 2007, 06:17:03 PM
I just finished reading it and thought it was a great ending to a great series.

There is one problem I had; I don't know if it's something I missed or not, however. (I waws reading it tired at points, so I might have missed some stuff.) Anyway, here it is: Was it the sword of Gryffindor that Neville used to kill Nagini? I can swear I remember reading that Harry saw Neville with the sword after he killed Nagini, so I assumed this is what Neville used to kill Nagini. If this is so, where did Neville get the sword? Didn't the Goblin make off with it when they escaped Gringotts? If it wasn't the sword, what did he use? Remember, a horcrux could not be destroyed with just any ordinary weapon...

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 11th, 2007, 06:22:57 PM

There is one problem I had; I don't know if it's something I missed or not, however. (I waws reading it tired at points, so I might have missed some stuff.) Anyway, here it is: Was it the sword of Gryffindor that Neville used to kill Nagini? I can swear I remember reading that Harry saw Neville with the sword after he killed Nagini, so I assumed this is what Neville used to kill Nagini. If this is so, where did Neville get the sword? Didn't the Goblin make off with it when they escaped Gringotts? If it wasn't the sword, what did he use? Remember, a horcrux could not be destroyed with just any ordinary weapon...

He pulled the sword out of the sorting Hat. It really parrelled COS when Harry pulled the sword out. It showed that Neville was a true Gryffindor.

Atreyu
Aug 12th, 2007, 09:28:10 PM

He pulled the sword out of the sorting Hat. It really parrelled COS when Harry pulled the sword out. It showed that Neville was a true Gryffindor.
Aye - that pesky hat. Methinks the goblins will not be happy. :lol

Doc Milo
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:25:04 PM

Ah! I must have missed it during one of my tired-reading marathons! I'll have to go back and reread it!

No that this has anything to do with the book, but I thought that was something sorely missing from the movie Order of the Phoenix the entire subplot of Neville possibly being the one spoken of in the prophecy... But I'll have to check the Order of the Phoenix thread to see if that has been discussed....

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:04:20 PM
Honestly that being removed from the movie didn't bother me. I mean it never came up again. The only important thing is Neville's characters growth which the movies have started showing that from GOF to OOTP.

Darth McBain
Sep 7th, 2007, 10:46:32 AM
Finally finished it. Whoohoo - awesome finish to an awesome series. I don't have much to add that you all haven't covered already, but good stuff. I look forward to reading the whole series again - knowing now how it all ends up, I bet that will change how the earlier books read and give new meanings/interpretations to them.

One other thing, there's a common theme of people (Harry and Neville) pulling the sword out of the hat - that makes for an interesting play on words: "The Sorting Hat" === "The Swording Hat". Pronunciation-wise, they're about the same. Maybe it's just coincidence, but I wonder if Rowling had that in mind...

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 8th, 2007, 07:34:25 AM
Good to hear you enjoyed it :) I think it'll be a while before I re-read the series, but I'm sure that I will someday.

Darth McBain
Sep 8th, 2007, 07:59:43 AM
Yeah, it was hard to not read this thread and all the other spoilers that had been floating around. Everyone at work was bugging me to read it, but I had to finish another (900 page) book first, so I didn't get started until late.

Another interesting point - why did JKR decide on "19 years later"? Subtle tie-in to the Dark Tower, I wonder???

Ryan Pode
Sep 8th, 2007, 10:35:44 AM
Another interesting point - why did JKR decide on "19 years later"? Subtle tie-in to the Dark Tower, I wonder???

Never read Dark Tower. Please, explain.

Darth McBain
Sep 8th, 2007, 01:50:24 PM
Well, like Harry Potter, The Dark Tower is another 7-book fantasy series (by Stephen King). There isn't a whole lot of similarity between the two series (though King does add a small, though interesting, tie-in in book 5 with the Harry Potter series), but they both weave a rich fantastical literary tapestry of a story. Anyway, the number 19 comes up virtually everywhere in the Dark Tower series. It's somewhat like a "magic" number. Not only does it factor in heavily in the Dark Tower, but it is also found in many other of Stephen King's books.

Anyway, I was just wondering if, as a fellow author of a fantasy heptology (is that even a word? :) ), JK Rowling decided to throw 19 into her book as a nod to Stephen King.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 8th, 2007, 04:01:06 PM
Well it is possible. I know she is friends with King and I imagine she has read his work. I know she wrote that final chapter years ago, but at what point she decided to go with 19 years later, I don't know. She could have had it 20 year later until she saw the 19 bit in the dark tower. It is an very good question though.

Figrin D'an
Oct 20th, 2007, 02:03:05 PM
A little bit of thread necromancy here, but this seemed to be the appropriate thread.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/10/20/harry.potter.ap/index.html

Potential spoilers in the link, so reader beware.

Thought that was rather interesting. I was not aware a lot of the fan theories about this, but given how the Dumbledore character is written, it would seem to be completely feasible, and Rowling essentially has confirmed it.

Rutabaga
Oct 20th, 2007, 05:22:15 PM
I too had not heard the fan theories about Dumbledore, but I'm completely comfortable with JK's revelation. I have no problems with it at all.

I'm just ready for a resurgence of nonsense from the "Harry Potter is evil, evil I tell you!" crowd. :rolleyes

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 20th, 2007, 05:31:51 PM
It doesn't bother me a bit. I hadn't heard the theories but it makes sense. And yeah I bet those Potter is evil crowd will pop up over this.

Lucilla Marzullo
Oct 21st, 2007, 06:27:02 AM
Meh...I'm more suprised than anything else. Actually, my jaw kinda hit the floor. There's nothing really wrong with it really. It's just that now I have to cringe whenever I think about seeing all the graphics and things popping up in avatars and signatures.

I sure am glad that I stay away from fanfictions ;.;