PDA

View Full Version : Questions about smileys

Alexia Marzullo
Jun 13th, 2007, 01:01:51 AM
A couple of times now people have told me that there are smileys in my posts and I can not see them.
It happens in longer posts, in between paragraphs
I usually type my posts in word and then paste them in, is there some kind of problem with that? Has this happened to anyone else? Or am I the only one cursed with smileys?!
And now I am disabling smileys in my post, but I just wanted to know if I am the only person who had this problem or if there is something I'm doing wrong
Thanks!
~Amanda

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 13th, 2007, 06:04:50 AM
Do you have any examples of posts where the smileys are appearing without you having adding them?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 13th, 2007, 07:37:50 AM
Actually I have an example of it happening to someone else.. http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showpost.php?p=227331&postcount=15

I'm not sure what caused it though. :huh

Mu Satach
Jun 13th, 2007, 08:18:20 AM
I would guess that the code that creates whitespace characters (such as returns, tabs, spaces, etc.) in some editors is getting picked up and reinterpreted by the form when posted.

Especially, if you're using the javascript enabled form for your posts that displays your formating prior to posting instead of the plain text and copying from Word. There is a ton of code that gets picked up from that editor when you hit copy. I've had a lot of weird formating issues on a few websites I admin when I don't convert the doc to plain text prior to pasting an article.

My suggestion, make sure either you don't use the fancy post form here, or do all your writing in Notepad or some other plain text editor that way you are only copying the text and not any formating codes you can't see.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 13th, 2007, 08:47:46 AM
The only thing I can think of is that if you're writing the posts in HTML, and using...

<P>
...to seperate paragraphs, then that could somehow end up being converted into the :P smiley.

Perhaps Word's way of formatting Paragraphs is :P ? I don't know.

Karl Valten
Jun 13th, 2007, 09:23:45 AM
I think it depends on the user settings. I have the same problem with my Michael Lawston and Lord Inquisitor Valten characters, but only when I copy and paste from Word. I don't bother changing the settings because I'm laze, though, just hit preview post and delete them from their.

Alexia Marzullo
Jun 13th, 2007, 11:13:47 AM
That is what I did one time and I thought I got them because I did not see them, but then someone told me there were still there
I will try the notepad thing...
Thanks guys!!!!

TheHolo.Net
Jun 14th, 2007, 09:19:07 AM
I would guess that the code that creates whitespace characters (such as returns, tabs, spaces, etc.) in some editors is getting picked up and reinterpreted by the form when posted.

Especially, if you're using the javascript enabled form for your posts that displays your formating prior to posting instead of the plain text and copying from Word. There is a ton of code that gets picked up from that editor when you hit copy. I've had a lot of weird formating issues on a few websites I admin when I don't convert the doc to plain text prior to pasting an article.

My suggestion, make sure either you don't use the fancy post form here, or do all your writing in Notepad or some other plain text editor that way you are only copying the text and not any formating codes you can't see.This is almost definitely the right analysis.

My recommendation is that people having this issue, change the option in their 'User CP --> Edit Options --> Message Editor Interface' to use a 'Basic Editor', instead of the default Enhanced/WYSIWYG editor. Then you will be able to see any extra coding in the text box before you post. The Enhanced/WYSIWYG editor is not so friendly when it comes to the hidden characters in MS Word and other document editors of its class.

If you would rather continue using the Enhanced/WYSIWYG editor for posting then run your posts through a plain text editor, like notepad, before posting them. :)

Thanks Mu!