PDA

View Full Version : So Im going to the Dentist....

Heir Raktus
Jun 7th, 2007, 11:01:28 PM
To have all 4 wisdom teeth removed, in about 5 days....

:twak This is gonna be fun :twak

Darth Fernal
Jun 7th, 2007, 11:12:36 PM
My experience getting three of my wisdom teeth removed a year or two back was actually not unpleasant. If you have a good dentist, you really hardly feel a thing, although I was nervous about seeing myself lose so much blood. But as long as you remember to take the antibiotics and the painkillers, you really shouldn't have much to worry about. I still have one tooh that needs to come out eventually, and of course I'll be nervous about it anyway, but don't fret too much.

Cat X
Jun 8th, 2007, 12:10:43 AM
Painkiller and N20 = No problem and nothign to be concerned with.

In fact N20 huffing at a dentist is rather pleasant.

Sanis Prent
Jun 8th, 2007, 12:31:36 AM
The only thing I recall is a feeling of pressure and the worst part - the sound of your bones and flesh rending apart.

If you can handle the sound, it's easy chair time. Now get used to a day and a half of eating pudding you can't taste.

Mu Satach
Jun 8th, 2007, 02:11:04 AM
Unless of course you happen to discover you're allergic to the painkiller they give you afterwards. Good times... good times.

But the actual removal bit was a breeze, I fell asleep during mine. Woke up once caught a bit of a glimpse of what my mouth looked like in a reflection in the Doc's glasses, decided it was better to go back to sleep.

Karl Valten
Jun 8th, 2007, 06:41:29 AM
I must agree with Mu, make sure you're not allergic to the painkillers they give you. It is not pleasant to deal with when all you have to tap into is ibuprofen.

Itala Marzullo
Jun 8th, 2007, 07:10:31 AM
Hm, seems having a big mouth in the old days helped me keep them.

It's going to be a blast Gue, you're going to love that satanic needle up your mouth.

Heir Raktus
Jun 8th, 2007, 07:17:13 AM
Oh, Im not getting the gas, IV for general anesthetic with shots for local...

Morgan Evanar
Jun 8th, 2007, 07:31:11 AM
They told me to take the oxycotin too soon afterwords and I went into a panic.

I don't deal very well when I can't even feel myself breathe.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 8th, 2007, 07:56:09 AM
I'm in the same situation as Itala. In fact, you can barely see the bottom ones at all.

Crystal
Jun 8th, 2007, 10:01:00 AM
I'm missing a few of my adult teeth and my bottom two wisdom teeth. They just aren't there. So, if I ever need to get them removed, I'll only have half the pain. :)

Razielle Alastor
Jun 8th, 2007, 10:19:07 AM
All four of mine were impacted, soI had to have surgery. I was out like a light, but I do remember getting the gas and had visions something like Little Shop of Horrors before hand.. :D

:lol Good times.

Ever Talbot
Jun 8th, 2007, 11:44:24 AM
My wisdom teeth have almost all come in without much pain at all. The last time I was at the dentist was to have a tooth pulled and they took a chunk of me with it :cry

Sanis Prent
Jun 8th, 2007, 09:19:23 PM
Oh, Im not getting the gas, IV for general anesthetic with shots for local...

Why are you getting intravenous anasthetic? You really don't need it, and I wouldn't risk it for minor procedures.

Seriously with the gas and the local, you aren't gonna feel anything that'll damage your calm. Plus, IV's are a pain in the butt.

Heir Raktus
Jun 8th, 2007, 09:36:17 PM
Wasn't given the option, he sat down and told me how it was going to happen

Zem-El Vymes
Jun 8th, 2007, 10:52:33 PM
That is pretty damn irresponsible for a dentist. Intravenous anasthesia puts you at risk for, well, death. It's not a huge risk, but its a risk that is entirely avoidable on a localized procedure.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 8th, 2007, 11:36:10 PM
Yeah, they just gassed me and all was well until I took the pill too soon. Well, as well as could be.

Razielle Alastor
Jun 9th, 2007, 06:31:37 AM

It's your right as a patient to speak up. If you don't want the IV, refuse it and he will give you the gas and local.

Khendon Sevon
Jun 9th, 2007, 12:13:07 PM
My wisdom teeth are coming in perfectly. No problems ;) What can I say? I rock.

Droo
Jun 9th, 2007, 06:18:59 PM
I didn't realise it was that common for people to have their wisdom teeth out. Mine came through fine and I've never had to have a tooth out, thankfully.

Hartus Kenobi
Jun 9th, 2007, 06:26:47 PM
It's your right as a patient to speak up. If you don't want the IV, refuse it and he will give you the gas and local.

I believe there are a number of dentists who will refuse to give their patients the gas, because it is significantly more likely to lead to complications, including brain injuries and death in some extreme cases. The needle is relatively safer. So it is possible that if you refuse anything but the gas, your dentist may opt to refer you to someone else, rather than increase the chances of having a law suit filed against them if something goes wrong.

JediBeldarine
Jun 9th, 2007, 06:48:47 PM

Do your research and decide which one is better (as far as risk/reward situations go) -- then talk to your dentist. If the one you are dealing with isn't comfortable with your decision, then I'd find one that will adhere to your wishes.

Honestly, though... I can't speak on wisdom teeth -- I never grew any. None. I don't even think I have anything for them to spawn from. I guess this is a little bit of karma for all the teeth I had to have removed when I was younger -- not to mention the busted out front teeth (from when I ate pavement) and braces.

Good luck!

Jen

Firebird1
Jun 9th, 2007, 10:33:33 PM
I had my Wisdom Teeth pulled a few years ago. Not much pain, but that was from the stuff...

Considering one had decayed to the point of having a hole in it the decision I made was a good one.

Itala Marzullo
Jun 9th, 2007, 11:11:43 PM
I had my Wisdom Teeth pulled a few years ago. Not much pain, but that was from the stuff...

Considering one had decayed to the point of having a hole in it the decision I made was a good one.

Another person I haven't seen in forever!

Sanis Prent
Jun 9th, 2007, 11:26:03 PM
I believe there are a number of dentists who will refuse to give their patients the gas, because it is significantly more likely to lead to complications, including brain injuries and death in some extreme cases. The needle is relatively safer. So it is possible that if you refuse anything but the gas, your dentist may opt to refer you to someone else, rather than increase the chances of having a law suit filed against them if something goes wrong.

I've had a dentist that fretted and fussed over giving me nitrous, and I put my foot down with her.

Honestly, though... I can't speak on wisdom teeth -- I never grew any. None.

You are a witch.

Heir Raktus
Jun 9th, 2007, 11:42:58 PM
Hate to put my foot down...

... then die.

I'd find that to be slightly embarassing in hell.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 9th, 2007, 11:57:14 PM
I have only three wisdom teeth. I think I'm missing the Math one. :uhoh

Two grew in fine, the third is fully formed sideways under the gums and currently not bothering anyone. If it ever starts pushing my other teeth or hurting they'll have to dig it out. :x

General Dan
Jun 10th, 2007, 12:45:21 AM
Hate to put my foot down...

... then die.

I'd find that to be slightly embarassing in hell.

Gas is a secondary anasthetic. IV is not.

If you don't want gas, fine. But you can still get the local needle and be fine. Juicing an IV is more risky than even gas.

Crystal
Jun 10th, 2007, 01:41:04 AM
I can't speak on wisdom teeth -- I never grew any. None.

I have only three wisdom teeth. I think I'm missing the Math one. :uhoh

Huh. I thought it was a really weird thing that I'm missing two and never heard about it before. Guess it's more common than I thought.

Razielle Alastor
Jun 10th, 2007, 05:53:17 AM
I didn't realise it was that common for people to have their wisdom teeth out. Mine came through fine and I've never had to have a tooth out, thankfully.

Well mine were impacted and coming through at all, just giving me a lot of grief. But I know that some people get them out so as to not crowd their other teeth and push them crooked. I'm sort of nuts about my teeth :uhoh, I wouldn't have let that happen even if they hadn't been stuck.. :lol

If you don't want gas, fine. But you can still get the local needle and be fine. Juicing an IV is more risky than even gas.

Exactly..

Cat X
Jun 10th, 2007, 06:18:36 AM

Sorry mate, not correct. Hartus is correct about N2O's effects - which is why it is generally made unavailible to the public and there are well documented cases of the exact effect he describes. N2o knocks you out because it replaces the oxygen you require to stay alert. The reason why you feel euphoria and light is that your brain is starving for oxygen. This is the reason why carbon monoxide poisoning is probably the best way to exit this world involuntarilty - you simply feel good, go to sleep and that is it.

Now as much as I said that N20 huffing is peasant, that is under strictly controlled enviroment with a qualified anethitist watching me. If your under with an IV, you should be under the same way, with someone qualified watching your vitals and bringing you back out onthe first sign of trouble.

All methods of knock out have risks. But simply put, if your healthy and resonably fit, with a qualified person watching you, the risks are very minimal. An IV knock out is fine and about as risk free as surgury can allow for.

General Dan
Jun 10th, 2007, 09:46:58 AM
Yes it is correct, because complications from intravenous anasthesia can and do kill, because that is a measured dosage taking into account a few observable characteristics of the patient that can be done wrong. The N2O dose is a gradual administration. Intravenous is slammed full-stop into your system in the midst of a saline/ringer drip in one go.

Heir Raktus
Jun 11th, 2007, 03:14:02 PM
Well, if I stop posting anything past my appointed date we will know who won the argument

Heir Raktus
Jun 13th, 2007, 05:04:10 PM
Well, Im up and about, the IV really didnt keep me down. After 15 minutes or so I was able to walk out on my own two feet.... My only problems now are actually eating, too cold hurts the 4 new holes in my face and Im not alowed to eat my soups till tommorow.... and just keeping up with my pills now...

Oh, and the unresistable urge to poke at it with my tongue....

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 13th, 2007, 05:48:59 PM
Congrats on losing all your wisdom. ;)

Razielle Alastor
Jun 13th, 2007, 05:51:07 PM
Oh, and the unresistable urge to poke at it with my tongue....

Airing out your stinky gumholes, huh Stimpy?

Heir Raktus
Jun 13th, 2007, 05:56:19 PM
They can have my wisdom, Ill keep the intelligence